Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Sole.Sushi posted:

You learn fast, my apprentice... Feel the paint flow throw you... Now kill your dad and rule by my side, young Krushgroove.

Someone's gotta crack the whip around here...NOW WHERE'S YOUR OATH?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Can I go back and declare one of my already finished oaths as a Get Based Out entry? I can take additional photos if need be.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Galaspar posted:

Apologies to Dr. Gargunza for pinching your basing idea, it was too good not to try!

Hey, steal away! You already seem to be doing it more sensibly than I did; have fun converting! (What are you using for the grids on those bases, by the way? It looks much more feasible than my embarassing greenstuff impressions of a fluorescent-light-fixture cover.)

Question on this month's Detektuv's Jurnal: Can the freehand be combined with the one-time Fly Your Flag bonus for two points, or do they have to be done on two separate models?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

:siren: I, Signal, Oath one 28mm Saladin from Corvus Belli/Infinity, and eight Land Raiders and a Chimera in 6mm from Games Workshop/Epic. :siren:

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Hey, steal away! You already seem to be doing it more sensibly than I did; have fun converting! (What are you using for the grids on those bases, by the way? It looks much more feasible than my embarassing greenstuff impressions of a fluorescent-light-fixture cover.)

It's this stuff:

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/darice-needlecraft-supplies-square-plastic-canvas-shapes-x10/570428-1000

Cheap, easy to snip up, and you get loads for other projects. Seems to repel glue, but a quick pin through the model's feet fixes than. I was inspired (in the sense of Ali Baba and the 40 Inspirers) by this blog:

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/deathwing-for-space-hulk-that-is.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

:siren:[b]Gotta do this bonus style

Should be able to pick up the freehanding bonus on the scroll there, but I'm also hoping to do a bit more round the hem of his cloak, maybe on his hat too. Alternatively, I might have a punt at box art, and try to copy the scheme on the Reaper site.

Hi. I think you might be confused, or you might not be confused, but just in case, I thought I'd better clarify.

Each month you can either get 2 points for doing that month's Detektuv's Jurnal, or 1 point for doing any previous month's Detektuv's Jurnal. So, right now, you would earn 1 point for having done the Cut N Swap Jurnal theme from August. But, if you do freehand on this new mini, you'll get 2 points for doing the September Jurnal instead.

Box art, as a bonus, is something you can do for an extra point. And you have already earned a bonus point for the speed painting.

As long as you're clear that that's what's going on, you're all good. I was just worried you might be thinking of some other points-earning thing.

Kommando posted:

Can I go back and declare one of my already finished oaths as a Get Based Out entry? I can take additional photos if need be.

I'm OK with this, yes, since Get Based Out is something you can do in any month. You should take a good photo of the base, if you didn't in the first place, so the judges will have the best look at the base. As a reminder, Get Based Out isn't worth points, but instead is a separate contest which will be judged and have a winner based on the judging.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
:siren:I, TheBlobThing, oath these 15 Grave Guard (from GW) including full command (champion, musician and standard bearer) plus the movement tray they are standing, for the month of September.:siren:

Models.

Timestamp.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Question on this month's Detektuv's Jurnal: Can the freehand be combined with the one-time Fly Your Flag bonus for two points, or do they have to be done on two separate models?

Just because I can.. I want to ask this as well but can I use this month's journal not only on the one time Fly Your Flag bonus, but can I also combine it with I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01?...

(in a nutshell: for a bunch of epic armageddon objective markers.. one will have a standard bearer on it that will have my armies affiliation painted on, knocking two bonus points on the head whilst taking care of the month's journal)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Hi. I think you might be confused, or you might not be confused, but just in case, I thought I'd better clarify :iiapa:.

Each month you can either get 2 points for doing that month's Detektuv's Jurnal, or 1 point for doing any previous month's Detektuv's Jurnal. So, right now, you would earn 1 point for having done the Cut N Swap Jurnal theme from August. But, if you do freehand on this new mini, you'll get 2 pints for doing the September Jurnal instead.

Wait, so I cant do last months and this months Jurnal in one Oath? How do I ever catch up with past jurnals then? I moved house last month and didn't have enough time in the last week to make an oath and paint it before the cutoff, so i instead put painting on hold until the first (which is the opposite of what this thread is supposed to do; encourage painting minis). Short of failing and then Saving Da Whales, It sounds like I cant Double the Fun.

Or is this only on a single mini. One Jurnel per mini?

quote:

I'm OK with this, yes, since Get Based Out is something you can do in any month. You should take a good photo of the base, if you didn't in the first place, so the judges will have the best look at the base. As a reminder, Get Based Out isn't worth points, but instead is a separate contest which will be judged and have a winner based on the judging.

It was the rock and tree scenery bit. Is that a Based Out entry or a separate one now. It changed and is somewhere back among the last month of posts.

--------------

:pcgaming1: I, Kommando, being of sound mind, do solemly swear to paint this Kharnov VTOL, Timberwolf and Osteon Mech from Iron Wind Metals in the month of September. :redhammer:

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Kommando posted:

How do I ever catch up with past jurnals then?

I uh.. don't think you do. The idea is to reward consistency as well as excellence. Those of us who missed out have to recoup the points elsewhere and live with it I guess.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Judges, slap me if I'm wrong but I think I get this...

Kommando posted:

Wait, so I cant do last months and this months Jurnal in one Oath? How do I ever catch up with past jurnals then? I moved house last month and didn't have enough time in the last week to make an oath and paint it before the cutoff, so i instead put painting on hold until the first (which is the opposite of what this thread is supposed to do; encourage painting minis). Short of failing and then Saving Da Whales, It sounds like I cant Double the Fun.

Right:

1.) you will only get points for either doing a past months journal (1 point) or the current months journal (2 points)

2.) you can't get points for doing more than one journal in the same oath unless...

3.) ...you do two journals and claim the 'double the fun' bonus point if you haven't claimed the bonus point already

Like Asphyxious says, the only way to get max points for a journal entry is to do it in its active month.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

enri posted:

Just because I can.. I want to ask this as well but can I use this month's journal not only on the one time Fly Your Flag bonus, but can I also combine it with I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01?...

(in a nutshell: for a bunch of epic armageddon objective markers.. one will have a standard bearer on it that will have my armies affiliation painted on, knocking two bonus points on the head whilst taking care of the month's journal)

Yes, this would get you the Double The Fun one-time bonus as well, so you're actually knocking out 3 in one go!

Kommando posted:

Or is this only on a single mini. One Jurnel per mini?

As Asphyxious and enri have said, the current month's Jurnal gets you 2 points only in the current month. If you're doing a Jurnal from any previous month for any reason, you get 1 point only for doing it. This rewards consistency as has been mentioned, but it also allows you to paint various units in an army in the same manner and still get some points for your efforts. To get the Jurnal points, you need to do the Jurnal on at least one model you've oathed.

Kommando posted:

:pcgaming1: I, Kommando, being of sound mind, do solemly swear to paint this Kharnov VTOL, Timberwolf and Osteon Mech from Iron Wind Metals in the month of September. :redhammer:

Accepted

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

krushgroove posted:

To get the Jurnal points, you need to do the Jurnal on at least one model you've oathed.

Unclear. In this months oath, can I do this months Jernel on one mini, and last months on another?

Or can we only do one Jernel entry per month?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Kommando posted:

Unclear. In this months oath, can I do this months Jernel on one mini, and last months on another?

Or can we only do one Jernel entry per month?

You can do every journal on as many models as you like, but you'll only get points for a single previous journal or points for the current journal.

So for this month, I could take 3 WIP pictures of my oath, I could convert it and weather the paint job when I'm done, I could do some freehand too. That's 3 previous oaths and 1 current, if I finished my oath I'd get 2 points for completing this months journal.

So there's nothing stopping you from actually doing the journal (for the sake of consistency in an army for example) but you'll only get points for ONE journal entry (be it a previous one or a current one)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
From the OP: 'You can only receive one lot of Detektuv’s Jurnal points per month, so if you do the current month’s challenge, you won’t get any bonus points for doing previous challenges that month. Similarly, even if you do more than one previous month’s challenge, you can only receive one bonus point.'

I know the OP is a massive wall of text :) but it is noted in the Detektuv’s Jurnal section

You're always welcome to do previous Jurnal skill challenges but you'll only get 1 point for doing a previous Jurnal, or 2 points for doing the current Jurnal. You can't get 3 or more points for a Jurnal no matter what.

edit: now I get to do a 'e: f,b'!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Any chance I can get an AP accepted for last page? I do fret so...

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Asphyxious posted:

:zombie: I, Asphyxious, oath 10 Invictors (Privateer Press) and 1 Metro (Corvus Belli) :zombie:

Accepted! Sorry about that, you were reet close to the bottom of the page :)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I, moths, oath this Malifaux Ten Thunders boxed set for September:

The one figure has been primed yellow (under-priming white first) and has some green putty spots where the primer revealed gaps. He'll need re-primed, but I can re-photograph it at that stage if that's necessary.

They're 30mm scale and made by Wyrd Miniatures.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: WE HAVE OTHER PRIZE WINNERS WHO HAVEN'T CLAIMED THEIR PRIZES:siren:
Or at least I don't have your address in my 'winners' document, which means I haven't sent your info off to the prize sponsors. And THAT means your prize isn't on its way yet! So these goons must get in touch ASAP!:

WhiteOutMouse
(Dragon Forge bases - go to the Dragon Forge site and choose your bases as specified in the OP)
JesusIsTehCool (Games N Gears brushes)
Derlix (Games N Gears brushes)

Please email me at krushgroove169 at gmail ASAP - the next group of prize winners is going to be drawn soon, and I need to clear the books! If you've already sent me your info, please accept my apologies and just re-send your details.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 2, 2013

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

krushgroove posted:

Accepted! Sorry about that, you were real close to the bottom of the page :)

Can I get one too? :D

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
And me?

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I, LazyAngel, oath for the month of September all 10 hero characters from Descent 2nd Ed by Fantasy Flight Games

They're all 28mm, albeit a bit more in scale than P3, GW, etc. Hoping to go for Box Art on this one.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I thundercloud, having decided on doing a much smaller Oath this month with just three miniatures in it, Oath to paint a converted Death Guard Dreadnought, a vanilla Death Guard Mortis Contemptor Dreadnought, and a heavily converted Deathguard Storm Talon. With only three miniatures all in one scheme, it should be much easier to finish than painted 50+ minis in five different schemes.

Here are close ups of the suspicious Contemptor (bought it in a private sale, looks like a Chinese recast to me) and the converted AoBR dreadnought.

Took the pictures last night, but hopefully they are still good.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I have't forgotten about the quarterly conversion prize!

Things have been crazy in my regular life, but I should have a winner picked by Wednesday. (There are so many photos to go through.)

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I'm a little late to the party, but I figure better late than never!

I, Dr. Clockwork, oath to paint this Skorne Tyrant Commander and Standard Bearer (Privateer Press)!

Aww, it's a baby!

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 13, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

This is way back from the July prize draws, but did you select a prize?

JesusIsTehCool picked the Games 'n' Gears brushes prize. The Troll Trader prize then went to Fix.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah yes - I know Fix was sent his 60mm base but I couldn't remember WHY

Signal posted:

:siren: I, Signal, Oath one 28mm Saladin from Corvus Belli/Infinity, and eight Land Raiders and a Chimera in 6mm from Games Workshop/Epic. :siren:

TheBlobThing posted:

:siren:I, TheBlobThing, oath these 15 Grave Guard (from GW) including full command (champion, musician and standard bearer) plus the movement tray they are standing, for the month of September.:siren:

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, oath for the month of September all 10 hero characters from Descent 2nd Ed by Fantasy Flight Games

moths posted:

I, moths, oath this Malifaux Ten Thunders boxed set for September:

Don't worry about taking another picture, just get on with it! That orange-colored wood is doing your white balance NO favors, though!

LazyAngel posted:

Thundercloud posted:

I thundercloud, having decided on doing a much smaller Oath this month with just three miniatures in it, Oath to paint a converted Death Guard Dreadnought, a vanilla Death Guard Mortis Contemptor Dreadnought, and a heavily converted Deathguard Storm Talon. With only three miniatures all in one scheme, it should be much easier to finish than painted 50+ minis in five different schemes.

You're fine, but FYI you don't have to put your name in your Oath picture, just your Oath Complete picture to get that sweet extra point!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I, Dr. Clockwork, oath to paint this Skorne Tyrant Commander and Standard Bearer (Privateer Press)!

All accepted!

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.
Oath Complete!

Goal was to see how fast I could paint to get workable things in DnD and it's prety ok for a second paint job. No journal because freehand is hard for now, might practice it this month.

Edit: Wasn't sure if second pic needed time so here one

Imazul fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 2, 2013

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
I, Direwolf, oath to paint 7x Khorne Bloodcrushers (Games Workshop, 40k) and 1 Ghulam Infantry (Corvus Belli, Infinity) for the month of September.

I'll be going for Themed Group for my Bloodcrushers, as well. My Skulltaker from last month will lead them :black101:

Edited to change Line Kazak into Ghulam Infantry, mis-ID on my part.

Direwolf fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 5, 2013

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: I am starting off my September oath with Kell Bailoch and the Ragman. :siren:
These are Privateer Press.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
:frogsiren:I, Red Herring, hereby oath to complete the following: Five (5) Shadow Spectres.:frogsiren:

Red Herring fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 3, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Imazul posted:

Oath Complete!

Goal was to see how fast I could paint to get workable things in DnD and it's prety ok for a second paint job. No journal because freehand is hard for now, might practice it this month.

Edit: Wasn't sure if second pic needed time so here one

Yes, the timestamp is required on the Oath Complete if you want the Speed Painting one-time bonus

Direwolf posted:

I, Direwolf, oath to paint 7x Khorne Bloodcrushers (Games Workshop, 40k) and 1 Line Kazak (Corvus Belli, Infinity) for the month of September.

...is that...a sticker...still on the wrist area of your laptop? Clear that off and you're good to go

Red Shoe posted:

:siren: I am starting off my September oath with Kell Bailoch and the Ragman. :siren:
These are Privateer Press.

Red Herring posted:

:frogsiren:I, Red Herring, hereby oath to complete the following: Five (5) Shadow Spectres.:frogsiren:

The date is hard to read on yours, just a not for the future (either get the models right in front of the screen so the date is larger/in focus, or angle the photo so at the resolution you're providing the date is readable - or just use a phone/tablet to show the timestamp)

But yes, all Accepted!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

But yes, all Accepted!

*poke*

Can we get a ruling on whether or not this months journal is acceptable on:

a.) the 'fy your flag' bonus point
b.) the 'fly your flag' and 'I rolled a 6!.. 20.. something' bonus points all together?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yes, mixing & matching the one-time bonuses with each other or with a Jurnal gets you the Double The Fun! bonus. There's no extra points for doing 3 or more things on one model.

Edit: Ah. I now see what you mean. The Fly Your Flag one-time bonus is for hand-painting a flag or banner, and the Jurnal is for hand-painting...something.

I'll have a think and get back by the end of the day!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 3, 2013

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

krushgroove posted:

The date is hard to read on yours, just a not for the future (either get the models right in front of the screen so the date is larger/in focus, or angle the photo so at the resolution you're providing the date is readable - or just use a phone/tablet to show the timestamp)

My bad, I shrunk the picture via the URL to the large thumbnail. I made it big again. Try not read it now.

Red Herring fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 3, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I, NTRabbit, oath these 8 Guardians, Wave Serpent, and Crew Chief (Guardian-Dire Avenger custom mash up) for 40k from GW

(couldn't get the date readable at 640x so made it a timg 1280)

Going for Themed Group, as these 8 Guardians (plus the gun crew I oathed last month) comprise one squad, and the tank is their dedicated transport, all once again in my glow in the dark Yme-Loc craftworld with ice world bases theme.

The Crew Chief is in pieces under the Guardians. It's a Guardian legs and body, unhelmeted Guardian head, gun crew left arm, Dire Avenger Exarch right arm with shuriken pistol and Dire Avenger Exarch dagger, and I plan to make him decoration by installing him in the back door of the Wave Serpent as the gruff but dependable Crew Chief shouting at everyone to embark or disembark faster, we don't have all day damnit, so I'm going to claim Conversion and wait for a judgment on whether it counts or not.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

enri posted:

*poke*

Can we get a ruling on whether or not this months journal is acceptable on:

a.) the 'fy your flag' bonus point
b.) the 'fly your flag' and 'I rolled a 6!.. 20.. something' bonus points all together?

OK I've had a think. From the OP:

quote:

Fly your flag Add and paint a banner, flag, pennant, etc. to your model or its base. Make it relevant to your army/faction!
I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01 - Whichever is better for your chosen game. Create or paint markers, template, dice or some other gaming aid.

So, 2 points to make first:
1. The Fly Your Flag and I Rolled a 6! one-time bonuses (actually, all of the one-time bonuses) are meant to take a little more time than the monthly Detektuv's Jurnal skill challenges. Many of the one-time bonuses take some effort to complete, or at least more time than most of the Jurnal challenges. Jurnals are relatively quick things to accomplish, unless you've never done them before.
2. The monthly Jurnal skill challenge applies to the primary model that is the focus of your oath - in this case, the model holding the flag, the vehicle that has the banner on it, etc. In these cases the Jurnal can be as simple as hand-painting a unit number on the chest of some power armor or putting a tribal tattoo on a face or arm.

So I'm going to say that the Fly Your Flag and this month's Jurnal should remain separate things.

So to get to your question:
a.) Fly Your Flag applies specifically to 'banner, flag, pennant, etc.', so no Jurnal points for doing just a banner, flag or pennant - the flag is already meant to be freehand, so no getting 2 extra points for doing the same thing that gets you 1 point. If you do some freehand work on the model holding the banner, flag or pennant, that's a different thing and gets you the Jurnal points.
b.) I think this will have to be on a case-by-case basis. Make a wreck marker out of a Rhino you chop up, and freehand some unit insignia on it? Yup, Jurnal points. You've found some blank dice (I really wanna see someone do some custom dice!) and you freehand some numbers or symbols on it? You get Jurnal points. Make some objective markers and you freehand those weird 40K numbers on them? Jurnal Points. In these cases and in similarly clearly-defined cases, you definitely get 1 point for the marker one-time bonus, PLUS 2 points for the Jurnal. If anyone plans to do this and is not sure, ask in the thread, PM me or email me at krushgroove169 at gmail - I don't want anyone caught out at the end of the month because they expected to get an extra couple of points.
and then there's c.) if you make a flag that is an objective marker (easy to see how this can happen with historical and 40K style games), that gets you the Double The Fun one-time bonus, which is another point...but as with A above when it comes to freehanding something you don't get 2 extra points for doing the same thing that gets you 1 point - HOWEVER as with B above if you freehand something elsewhere on the marker or gaming aid you get the Jurnal points.

I hope that's clear!

Red Herring posted:

My bad, I shrunk the picture via the URL to the large thumbnail. I made it big again. Try not read it now.

You're all good! at 3200px+ it's much easier to read :)

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, oath these 8 Guardians, Wave Serpent, and Crew Chief (Guardian-Dire Avenger custom mash up) for 40k from GW

Accepted. I'm not managing the conversions prize but as far as painting goes you're good to go.

Remember folks, if you don't get an 'accepted' reply quickly, you're still just fine to start your painting - just a reminder.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I'm probably setting myself up for a bit of a catastrophe here, but:
:catdrugs:Oath addition!:catdrugs:
I, TheBlobThing, oath to paint these 3 Death Korps of Krieg Autocannon teams from Forgeworld (GW) for the month of September, in addition to the 15 Grave Guard I oathed earlier.

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

I, Forkbanger, oath to paint this High Elf Skycutter for the month of September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I, Pash, oath 1 Tau Crisis Suit by GW for the month of September!

Its primed white, the metal looking bits are magnets that are not painted.

• Locked thread