Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

effectual posted:

There's also that Twilight Zone episode about the pig-face people being "normal".

This one you mean?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvxdkqt-HHs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
The movie I'm trying to think of is basically the Omen story... but the "Damien Thorn" character is a governor running for president, which will give him the power then to rule the world etc. There is an assassination attempt towards the end of the movie in a small theater where a presidential debate is being held. I think the assassination attempt fails, as the would be assassin falls from the balcony of the theater to his death.

The weird thing is this movie ISN'T The Omen 3, but I could have swore Sam Neill played the governor/president... but imdb-ing Sam Neill doesn't give me any help...

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 1, 2013

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

The movie I'm trying to think of is basically the Omen story... but the "Damien Thorn" character is a governor running for president, which will give him the power then to rule the world etc. There is an assassination attempt towards the end of the movie in a small theater where a presidential debate is being held. I think the assassination attempt fails, as the would be assassin falls from the balcony of the theater to his death.

The weird thing is this movie ISN'T The Omen 3, but I could have swore Sam Neill played the governor/president... but imdb-ing Sam Neill doesn't give me any help...

The Dead Zone. It's Martin Sheen, not Sam Neill.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Sounds like The Dead Zone.
Martin Sheen is the president-to-be though, not Sam Neil.
And he's going to destroy the world in a nuclear war because he's psychotic Christian extremist, not rule it as son of satan.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

dreadnought posted:

Also, the films do NOT have to be particularly kind to or accepting of people with disabilities. The point of the assignment is to get some idea of the history of society's views toward disabled people through the lens of film, so any sort of portrayal is fine.

Dunno if you can get it, as I don't know how well-known it is abroad, but Jenseits der Stille is a great German movie about a girl/woman who has deaf parents and wants to play the clarinet. I haven't seen it in a while but I remember liking it much better than Children of a Lesser God.

The portrayal of deaf people in Babel felt slightly off, but I don't remember why. The sign language looked stilted (a common problem which doesn't affect Jenseits der Stille from what I remember), but that might just've been how Japanese Sign Language is. Anyhow, I think there were some of the usual bits where the deaf person just understands whatever is said through the power of lipreading.

If short movies are OK, there's Strangers, which you can watch in full after the link but it might not be suitable to show how society views deaf people as it is made from a deaf perspective and very recent. http://www.bslzone.co.uk/bsl-zone/zoom-2012-strangers/

For older movies, there's still The Wild Child (1970) which deals with the Wild Boy of Ayernon, basically a kid who grew up without any language whatsoever. Haven't seen it though.

Some TV series also have bits of sign language (one episode of Six Feet Under, very briefly), and episodes of House, MD and Scrubs deal with Cochlea Implants and that's definitely about how normal people view deafness - as something that can and should easily be fixed. It's very interesting to compare how Scrubs and House deal with it.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Cerv posted:

Sounds like The Dead Zone.
Martin Sheen is the president-to-be though, not Sam Neil.
And he's going to destroy the world in a nuclear war because he's psychotic Christian extremist, not rule it as son of satan.

morestuff posted:

The Dead Zone. It's Martin Sheen, not Sam Neill.

Thanks... In my head I was actually combining THE DEAD ZONE, THE OMEN III, and THE PARALLAX VIEW all into one movie. Then I watched THE OMEN III, and wondered what happened to the other 2/3 of the movie I remembered.

Sarinnanashi
Dec 27, 2004

I'm sure there is a reason for this, but I don't think I want to know it.
Edit: Totally wrong thread. Carry on.

Sarinnanashi fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 2, 2013

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Can anyone recommend some films that focus on The Troubles in Northern Ireland circa 1970/80? I've got Shadow Dancer which is a bit more recent. Or anything of that period/location - could be a comedy or horror etc, so long as it looks a bit bleak and bombed out.

Fanks!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

echoplex posted:

Can anyone recommend some films that focus on The Troubles in Northern Ireland circa 1970/80? I've got Shadow Dancer which is a bit more recent. Or anything of that period/location - could be a comedy or horror etc, so long as it looks a bit bleak and bombed out.

Fanks!

There was a Jim Sturgess film a couple of years ago; can't recall the title. Not sure if Hunger has the look you want but that's amazing.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
How about the TV movie Bloody Sunday, directed by Paul greengrass?

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

All I can think of is In the Name of the Father.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

echoplex posted:

Fanks!

Michael Collins starring Liam Neeson was very entertaining.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

therattle posted:

There was a Jim Sturgess film a couple of years ago; can't recall the title. Not sure if Hunger has the look you want but that's amazing.

Fifty Dead Men Walking?

Amazon'd all the above, many thanks!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

echoplex posted:

Fifty Dead Men Walking?

Amazon'd all the above, many thanks!

That's the one. It's ok.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

fruitpunch posted:

How about the TV movie Bloody Sunday, directed by Paul greengrass?

That was a TV movie?

Either way, it's really good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

echoplex posted:

Fanks!

The brilliant short film Elephant, by Alan Clarke.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Is there any other movies that have the same premise as Leon The Professional?
I remember there being movie where a hitman teaches a girl to kill, and at the end she gets him as a hit target and takes him out, any idea what that was?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Sounds a little like La Femme Nikita (or the American remake Point of no Return).

edit: hmm that may not have had the mentor-becoming-the-target thing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

echoplex posted:

Fanks!

There's also Ken Loach's Hidden Agenda (1990), and Alan Clarke's Elephant (1989). The last one might be of particular interest if you're looking for "bleak and bombed out"; the film's basically a bunch of Steadicam shots through locations in Belfast depicting sectarian killings. It was produced by Danny Boyle and was an inspiration for Gus Van Sant's film of the same name.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Gonna have to second Hidden Agenda. Elephant's a must watch because it's like 27 minutes and (I think) something like two or three lines of dialogue.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was Million Dollar Baby based on Old Yeller?

If this has already been answered I apologize, I looked through the thread and Google hasn't been useful.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dolphin posted:

If this has already been answered I apologize, I looked through the thread and Google hasn't been useful.

...No?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well poo poo, I'm going to have to completely rewrite this film analysis then. Thanks.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

No, please go ahead as originally planned.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I want to read that paper.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dolphin posted:

I think it was the other way around

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

echoplex posted:

Fanks!

Not sure the year The Crying Game is supposed to take place in, but I heard it involves the IRA.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

echoplex posted:

Fanks!

There's Paul Greengrass' Bloody Sunday, which is a docudrama of the events of the Bloody Sunday massacre (also a U2 song, but don't hold that against the movie). You can totally see shades of it in United 93 or his Bourne films. I'm not going to say it's the best movie about that era, because I don't know near enough about it, but it's one of the best movies I've seen, and better than his other films I've mentioned.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Reive posted:

I remember there being movie where a hitman teaches a girl to kill, and at the end she gets him as a hit target and takes him out, any idea what that was?

Not sure how to answer this without spoiling anything and it's kind of a stretch anyway, but gently caress it, it's not exactly Shyamalan: There was Wanted (2008) in which Morgan Freeman trains the protagonist and also Angelina Jolie (pre movie events) to kill people on the whim of a magical loom, but then the loom weaves out Freeman's name and instead of taking the hit like a man he starts faking the loom messages. So it's a stretch, because Jolie isn't the main character and she doesn't end up killing Freeman, but she does off herself and the rest of the assassin's society whose names also came up on the psychic killer loom.

e: vvv I thought that was where I was posting too :v: vvv

Shanty fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 4, 2013

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

edit: I guess this is for the "Identify" thread, sorry

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Reive posted:

Hanna definitely has a similar premise but I don't think it's the specific movie you're looking for based on that spoiler.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is it Angel's Dance because that's literally the one memorable scene in that movie.

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004

echoplex posted:

Fanks!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0986233/?ref_=sr_4
This one is really good

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
In Brave Little Toaster, what was up with Kirby suddenly getting a fit near the waterfall?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Kikka posted:

In Brave Little Toaster, what was up with Kirby suddenly getting a fit near the waterfall?

Pretty sure it was a random short cause he's super old. And explains why he was so crotchety the whole time.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

echoplex posted:

Fanks!

Mike Leigh's Four Days In July is a little oblique about it but it's bleak-Belfast-1980s.

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012
Okay so this might be a hopeless question, but I'll give it a shot. For the past few hours, a scene in a movie has been stuck in my head and I can't seem to remember what the movie is. All I remember is that specific scene(not any particular lines, though. :( ) and the general premise of the plot. So here it goes.

The plot revolves around a father and a his daughter. The mother is absent picture. The relationship between them is shaky at best. The daughter is portrayed as a "free spirit", cooky and sometimes a danger to herself. From what I understood, she's more like an extreme case of ADHD and add in a dash of insanity. The scene that I remember is when the father goes to the grandmother. She has this really nice beach house with what looks to be a private beach or something. The grandmother is basically the spitting image of the daughter only 30 years older. The grandmother talks about how the dad is such a stuck-up like his dad and even they look the same and how he always stopped her fro pursuing her painting hobby. The father, recognizing the similarity, ask the grandmother to talk to the daughter and make her not be as insane as she is. The grandmother fights back and then reluctantly agrees. The scene ends with the grandmother walking out of the house and across the white sands. The grandmother wears white and bright yellow with a silk scarf.

Basically, that small paragraph has been stuck in my head for a while now and it's driving me insane. If there's anyone who recognizes the movie from what little information I have, please help. I have went through countless "father and daughter" movie lists and no dice. :saddowns:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Is there something like a musical IMDb, a site that lists every movie that uses a particular song?

Tazzillekki posted:

Okay so this might be a hopeless question, but I'll give it a shot. For the past few hours, a scene in a movie has been stuck in my head and I can't seem to remember what the movie is. All I remember is that specific scene(not any particular lines, though. :( ) and the general premise of the plot. So here it goes.

The plot revolves around a father and a his daughter. The mother is absent picture. The relationship between them is shaky at best. The daughter is portrayed as a "free spirit", cooky and sometimes a danger to herself. From what I understood, she's more like an extreme case of ADHD and add in a dash of insanity. The scene that I remember is when the father goes to the grandmother. She has this really nice beach house with what looks to be a private beach or something. The grandmother is basically the spitting image of the daughter only 30 years older. The grandmother talks about how the dad is such a stuck-up like his dad and even they look the same and how he always stopped her fro pursuing her painting hobby. The father, recognizing the similarity, ask the grandmother to talk to the daughter and make her not be as insane as she is. The grandmother fights back and then reluctantly agrees. The scene ends with the grandmother walking out of the house and across the white sands. The grandmother wears white and bright yellow with a silk scarf.

Basically, that small paragraph has been stuck in my head for a while now and it's driving me insane. If there's anyone who recognizes the movie from what little information I have, please help. I have went through countless "father and daughter" movie lists and no dice. :saddowns:
I don't know your movie, but maybe you should also post this in the 'Identify a Movie' thread to get a quicker response.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

a radii hike posted:

Is there something like a musical IMDb, a site that lists every movie that uses a particular song?

I'm not sure, but I do know that you can search the soundtrack listings on the IMDb, which may give you similar results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ClydeUmney posted:

I'm not sure, but I do know that you can search the soundtrack listings on the IMDb, which may give you similar results.
OK, thanks, that actually works pretty well.