Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Archer2338 posted:

Just moved to Philadelphia: can I get goon recommendations for good roasters (picking up or mail) in the downtown area or near UPenn?

Welcome to Philly! My recommendation is to visit Ultimo in the Graduate Hospital area (not downtown, but maybe you can public transport there) to get some delicious Counter Culture beans. CC has a "lab" upstairs with cuppings every Friday at 10 AM. My fellow goon husband and I can be found there from time to time. 21st and Catharine Street.

You can also get Joe coffee in Rittenhouse, a short walk from downtown. CC is my favorite, Joe is my husband's favorite. 18th and Walnut Street.

If you want locally roasted beans, there's Green Street, they sell their beans at their shop at 11th and Spruce Street downtown.

I tend to avoid West Philly, but I've heard about Rival Bros coffee truck. They have a good reputation and I plan on checking them out soon. 33rd and Arch Street.

edit: Has anyone heard of/tried Gimme! Coffee from NY? A local "coffee shop" is using their beans but the coffee was TERRIBLE. Undrinkable. Wondering if they brewed good beans incorrectly or the beans are poo poo to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Archer2338 posted:

Just moved to Philadelphia: can I get goon recommendations for good roasters (picking up or mail) in the downtown area or near UPenn?

Rival brothers. Also joe opened up in west Philly and they're great. They also have a location in rittenhouse.

But seriously go to ultimo (counter culture) on Catherine. They're the best in the city. Elixir (sells pt and intelli) is good and on 15th and walnut but the most expensive
of all. Also people here call downtown "center city". it's just one of the many words this town uses to call/speak one thing the rest of the English speaking world says another way.

Lastly I'll give you the proper Philly introduction I got: " welcome to Philly, gently caress youse"

Pm me, I can give you the lowdown.

^^^ beaten!

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 23, 2013

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Any Vancouver goons here? I'm looking for a turkish coffee pot (cezve/ibrik), anyone know what I might be able to find one? I'd prefer something brass rather than ceramic if at all possible.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Captain Briney posted:

I hear Novo coffee roasters are great, but haven't tried them personally. http://novocoffee.com/

If you check them out, let us know how it turns out!
Trip report: got a brief tour, dude seemed fairly knowledgable and invested in what he was doing. I liked the roasts I saw, they had some interesting stuff. Got a couple bags to try, working through the Panama Margogipe right now, pretty bright compared to most Panamas I've had, definitely interesting though. Bit pricey, but I guess I'm saving on shipping relative to other decent roasters, and I like supporting local business. Overall pretty happy so far, I'll definitely be back. Might try and make some of their cupping sessions in the future.

Oh, and they have a lever in-house as their barista training setup which is cool.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

frenchnewwave posted:

edit: Has anyone heard of/tried Gimme! Coffee from NY? A local "coffee shop" is using their beans but the coffee was TERRIBLE. Undrinkable. Wondering if they brewed good beans incorrectly or the beans are poo poo to begin with.

poo poo to begin with.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Bobx66 posted:

poo poo to begin with.

Um what the gently caress are you talking about? Gimmie coffee roasts literally the best beans I've ever had and I have had all of the most noteworthy roasters in Dallas and Austin. They're nowhere near poo poo.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

frenchnewwave posted:

Gimme! is local ish to my area (their roastery is ~1hr from where i live) and their coffee is really good, so i'm guessing it was brewed incorrectly. I've never had a bad experience with it. If you were feeling especially kind you may want to alert them that such and such coffeehouse does a poo poo job of brewing their beans

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.
Just got my 8lb sample pack from Sweet Maria's today!!! I was super pumped to learn that I got 8 different 1-pound packs, instead of 4 different 2-pound packs that I was expecting. Earlier in the week I picked up a kerosene lantern chimney for the aforementioned popper so I'm ready for roastin'!

In honor of o muerte I will try the Burundi Kirimoro Teka first and be sure to give a report...

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Just tried Rival Bros in West Philadelphia. It's a "food truck" set up and they roast their own beans. I went in with no expectations and was blown away. We got a iced coffee made with Yirgacheffe beans and it was amazing. I also got a decaf macchiato and it the best I've ever had. If you're in Philly I recommend checking them out.

Bonus, there's a bagel truck next to them.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Wow, I just checked it out today as well :v:

And yes, I loved the iced coffee too, and I picked up their revolver blend (which I am going to brew after posting this...). Within walking distance from where I live, so I suppose this is where I'll be getting my beans most of the time!

I am going to go check out the rest of the recommended shops in due time, though.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

JDM3 posted:

In honor of o muerte I will try the Burundi Kirimoro Teka first and be sure to give a report...

In direct contravention of the rules, I brewed up a cup right after roasting. It was downright foamy in the aeropress - clearly a lot of outgassing going on. I roasted about 1/2 cup at city, then dropped to about a 1/4 cup which went to city+, and finally I did 1/4 cup at full city (by this time I was getting better at differntiating between the two cracks). Then to really complicate things I mixed it all together...

This morning I brewed the second cup and while the effervesence was still present, it had died down a bit. In any case, I definitely understand the meaning of "bright" - it's a very appropriate adjective to describe the difference between this coffee and the Kona that I'm used to. I haven't really developed my palate yet - but give me time... I am realizing that I think it would have been better NOT to mix the roasts, but I will have this all figured out next week when it's time to roast again and will be more consistent.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Yeah, I wouldn't mix the roasts - I really enjoyed the Burundi at around a city+. Once you hit city+ you get some nice roasted sweetness going that offsets the bright acidity of the bean, I really enjoyed that.

If they're still shipping out the same sampler I got a couple weeks ago try one of the central American coffees next for contrast. They're all great but I remember the Costa Rican being particularly enjoyable.

Also, if you're going to brew immediately after roasting do a quick bloom before you add all of the water otherwise your extraction will be off because of all the excess CO2. It's fiddly with an aeropress- you'll need to do the inverted aeropress thing that people rightly laugh at for being fiddly and over-complicated and :spergin:.

But it's still worth it for a better cup of coffee. I literally don't make coffee in my aeropress without inverting it anymore :negative:

o muerte fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 2, 2013

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
What's a quick non-inverted Aeropress method? I am paranoid about using the inverted method after a mishap that spewed hot coffee all over my counter (and my hands). I'm out of No.4 filtropa filters :v:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You could just not invert it. Hardly any water comes out once you put the plunger on.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Another aeropress adventure yesterday AM. A week or so ago I turned over my inverted press and realized I had forgotten a cup. Yesterday I turned it over and realized I had forgotten a filter. :doh: - another colossal mess was had by all...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

JDM3 posted:

Another aeropress adventure yesterday AM. A week or so ago I turned over my inverted press and realized I had forgotten a cup. Yesterday I turned it over and realized I had forgotten a filter. :doh: - another colossal mess was had by all...

Yep-aeropress was my go-to method in the morning until something similar happened. CCD all the way now.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I've had 8 lbs of green coffee for the past month that I've been meaning to roast and I've been too lazy. Instead, I buy lovely $2 deli coffee on my way in to work. Help me coffee spergs :(

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Doh004 posted:

I've had 8 lbs of green coffee for the past month that I've been meaning to roast and I've been too lazy. Instead, I buy lovely $2 deli coffee on my way in to work. Help me coffee spergs :(

So, what you're saying is you've spent more in one month on lovely deli coffee than the amount it would cost to roast 8 pounds of green coffee which would last way longer and taste MUCH better because :effort: ? C'mon man!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nwin posted:

So, what you're saying is you've spent more in one month on lovely deli coffee than the amount it would cost to roast 8 pounds of green coffee which would last way longer and taste MUCH better because :effort: ? C'mon man!

I know, the most shameful of coffee goons :(

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Doh004 posted:

I know, the most shameful of coffee goons :(

Send me those beans please, tia

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

You could just not invert it. Hardly any water comes out once you put the plunger on.
I've never understood the point of actually inverting it for this reason.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

mystes posted:

I've never understood the point of actually inverting it for this reason.

You can't stir it with the plunger on, and watery semi-brewed coffee leaks through until you put the lid on, which you really only do when you're ready to plunge.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I loves me some Vietnamese iced coffee. Pretty simple to prepare: pitcher of cold coffee, sweet and condensed milk, ice, stir.

But how is the coffee made? It's very strong, I can't imagine that its just drip coffee.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Squashy Nipples posted:

I loves me some Vietnamese iced coffee. Pretty simple to prepare: pitcher of cold coffee, sweet and condensed milk, ice, stir.

But how is the coffee made? It's very strong, I can't imagine that its just drip coffee.

Finely ground and drip brewed using one of these http://www.amazon.com/Importfood-Vi...nch+drip+filter

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I found a place in Seattle, while visiting PAX this weekend, that does Aeropresses to order for $3.50 each. I was blown away at how affordable this was, given that local LA places like Handsome and Go Get Em Tiger charge more for batch-brew.

It's called Milstead & Co and is a multi-roaster operation in a Brooklyn-esque neighborhood of Seattle/Fremont.

VVVVV: oops thanks for the correction

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 3, 2013

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Did you have to ask for the inverted method? I thought I've always seen them do it upright.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Going to revisit the gimmie coffee point. The medium roast was rather dark and devoid of flavor. The decaf was their la primavera and while there was some kind if flavor present I had to really think about it. Which is polar opposite from anything served by counter culture, intelligensia, blue bottle, joe or cuvee. You know straight away what good coffee tastes like and this was just roasted starbucks nonsense. Beans were freshly ground and served
from a drip machine. Maybe it was too coarse so it under extracted then the drip added too much water and also charred it?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
If you order online, they tell me you can get coffee very near its roast date anywhere in the states. You might want to order a bag and see for yourself. Maybe the beans people have tried in this thread were just way past the roasting date or something because even the shittiest gimmie-coffee-using shop in Ithaca (The Shop) still makes great tasting coffee (aside from the fact that there is always sludge on the bottom for some reason).

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Doh004 posted:

Are you still using a Poppery and making two 1/2 cup batches? I had to stop using my popcorn popper because it sucked for making large batches.

Time for you to get a heat gun and a deep dog bowl.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Casull posted:

Are you still using a Poppery and making two 1/2 cup batches? I had to stop using my popcorn popper because it sucked for making large batches.

Time for you to get a heat gun and a deep dog bowl.

Yeah that was my plan, I hope it's still good :ohdear:

Hibbie
May 10, 2013

The name 'Tonic Wine' does not imply health giving or medicinal properties.

JDM3 posted:

You can't stir it with the plunger on, and watery semi-brewed coffee leaks through until you put the lid on, which you really only do when you're ready to plunge.

Have you tried 1/4 filling it and stirring, leaving for 30 seconds then filling it up?

That gets, overall, the same effect as the thicker sludge doesn't have the requisite force behind it to push it through the filter. You get a bit of seepage, but not much.

Came from what used to be my local shop - http://vimeo.com/63530954

I swear by it - much less loving about with rotating the aeropress and stuff.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Yeah that was my plan, I hope it's still good :ohdear:

Green coffee keeps for about a year or more, you're fine.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

You guys think this thing actually works alright?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uniterra-nomad/nomadtm-the-go-everywhere-espresso-machinetm

Could be a fun little toy.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 5, 2013

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
What happened with the other Kickstarter espresso machine? The electric one with a pid?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

o muerte posted:

Heat gun question here. I know a lot of you guys are roasting with 1200W guns, are any of you using something like this? It's a ~1700W Wagner with a blower function and high/low heat via the louvers on the side. I bought it thinking that the blower function would be great for cooling the beans at the end of the roast.

Anyway, I'm finding that it's hard to get an even roast without scorching the outside of my beans on high and closer to low small batch roasts take around 30 minutes instead of 15-20 :negative:

Is this gun going to be exceptionally difficult to use or do I just need more practice? For the record I'm using either a 1qt or 2qt bowl depending on the amount of beans per batch and stirring with a small wisk - the wisk seems to do a better job of stirring the beans than a wooden spoon.

Oh, also, the Burundi Kirimiro Teka from sweetmarias is amazing, I'm really enjoying the batch I got with my sampler.

I can only speak in general ways relative to the roasting process in general with the gun:

If you're scorching, increase the distance of the gun from the beans, stir more.

As for the whisk versus spoon... When I'm agitating with the spoon, I am really not focused on stirring the entire mass, but shoveling beans past the gun's exhaust. I'm concerned that by using the whisk, you're actually leaving some beans in front of the gun exhaust too much without noticing it (hard to keep track of several hundred small objects individually and all that). With the spoon, the whole mass gets agitated as just a natural function of moving things past the gun. It's the time away from the gun, mixing around with other beans in the bowl that evens out the heat distribution.

I'll throw this in again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1woJAtCWmrc

Note that it's not so much a stir that I'm doing and more of just rotating, passing the beans past the gun's exhaust. A whisk is going to leave beans behind too much I think.

Alleric fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 5, 2013

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm asking this on behalf of my wife, as I don't drink coffee.

We're trying to figure out which coffee maker to get her. Originally, I was just going to say a Kuerig but I guess that's a bad idea from reading the OP.

She loves coffee. She has gotten to the point where every day she gets a mocha or latte from Starbucks. We have a cheap $20 drip coffee pot at home but she says it's not strong enough for her and she prefers the boost from espresso.

Another reason she loves Starbucks is just the convenience of it. She doesn't want something that takes a ton of time to make. We were looking to spend $100-$200 on a coffee solution for her. Anyone have any suggestions? Sorry this is so vague, I really know very little about coffee drinks.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mordiceius posted:

I'm asking this on behalf of my wife, as I don't drink coffee.

We're trying to figure out which coffee maker to get her. Originally, I was just going to say a Kuerig but I guess that's a bad idea from reading the OP.

She loves coffee. She has gotten to the point where every day she gets a mocha or latte from Starbucks. We have a cheap $20 drip coffee pot at home but she says it's not strong enough for her and she prefers the boost from espresso.

Another reason she loves Starbucks is just the convenience of it. She doesn't want something that takes a ton of time to make. We were looking to spend $100-$200 on a coffee solution for her. Anyone have any suggestions? Sorry this is so vague, I really know very little about coffee drinks.

The lowest effort DIY thing is a $125 grinder and $20 clever dripper, and mail-order beans if you don't have a local solution. You are talking like 5 minutes of effort a day.

However, if she likes milk and sugar, and if you're not around to help her, let's get real. You'll save yourself the trouble and get her a Keurig to make bad coffee--ignorance can be bliss.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Sort of a sidetrack: Uh, does espresso really have more caffeine than other kinds of coffee, as it's portrayed in popular culture? I know paper drip coffee must filter out some of the caffeine, but what about french press? I assume a shot of espresso is going to have a similar amount of caffeine as a regular cup of non-espresso coffee.

As for your wife: If she likes Starbucks milk bombs and convenience... Well, yeah, a keurig is going to be hassle-free on your end and hers. Maybe get one of those Nespresso machines, but I think the ones that make milk drinks as well are over your price limit.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Archer2338 posted:

Sort of a sidetrack: Uh, does espresso really have more caffeine than other kinds of coffee, as it's portrayed in popular culture? I know paper drip coffee must filter out some of the caffeine, but what about french press? I assume a shot of espresso is going to have a similar amount of caffeine as a regular cup of non-espresso coffee.

As for your wife: If she likes Starbucks milk bombs and convenience... Well, yeah, a keurig is going to be hassle-free on your end and hers. Maybe get one of those Nespresso machines, but I think the ones that make milk drinks as well are over your price limit.

Actually, drip coffee has the highest caffeine content - I'm not sure of the exact amounts, but espresso has perhaps 50% as much, but then lots of people have double shots...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Agreed with everyone else recommending a keurig for her.

My wife adds a gallon of loving creamer to a cup of coffee, and when I started to get spergy about coffee, she ate it up and I bought better beans for her for a bit but then I got curious. So one week I used some really old beans, the next week I used some crappy pre ground stuff we had lying around.

Guess what? She couldn't taste the difference because she adds too much creamer.

So now I have a reusable k-cup that I fill up with coffee and I buy her whatever flavor creamer she wants. The money I save on buying she xx coffee, I use to spend on the good stuff for me. :getin: