Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What does the "fuzzy logic" part of the rice cooker do? Is it just a way for the cooker to figure out how the rice has cooked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The Neuro Fuzzy® Rice Cooker & Warmer features advanced Neuro Fuzzy® logic technology, which allows the rice cooker to 'think' for itself and make fine adjustments to temperature and heating time to cook perfect rice every time.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
How did they register that trademark when it's a well known technique?

(e: I should say it's a "well known" algorithm, not everyone subscribes to SIGART)

deimos fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 3, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

feelz good man posted:

Go big and get the induction kind or nothing at all
I really couldn't understand the advantage of the induction. It just cooks slightly faster? I just ordered the neuro fuzzy two days ago, but if there's a strong enough argument in favor of induction I can return it and exchange, so I'm kind of curious.

I love induction in other applications, like stovetops, but I don't see much benefit here.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

No Wave posted:

I really couldn't understand the advantage of the induction. It just cooks slightly faster? I just ordered the neuro fuzzy two days ago, but if there's a strong enough argument in favor of induction I can return it and exchange, so I'm kind of curious.

I love induction in other applications, like stovetops, but I don't see much benefit here.

really? you don't see the benefit of having more of the cooking vessel being heated?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MasterFugu posted:

really? you don't see the benefit of having more of the cooking vessel being heated?
I mean, does the neuro fuzzy make inferior rice? This is a rice cooker - we're by and large talking about very moist heat, ie first a boiling action and then a steaming action, neither of which requires ultra-precise heat distribution. I'd feel the same way about a stockpot. But if I were making paella, for example, heat distribution would be critical, which is why I like induction for stovetops a whole lot.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 4, 2013

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

No Wave posted:

I mean, does the neuro fuzzy make inferior rice? This is a rice cooker - we're by and large talking about very moist heat, ie first a boiling action and then a steaming action, neither of which requires ultra-precise heat distribution. I'd feel the same way about a stockpot. But if I were making paella, for example, heat distribution would be critical, which is why I like induction for stovetops a whole lot.
If you want to keep making subpar rice or don't cook rice that often, then a non-induction cooker will suit you just fine

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
How long do fuzzy logic cookers take to cook rice? I've heard even for white rice they can take 40-50 minutes or more. I'm not sure it's worth so much time just for a few cups of rice.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

feelz good man posted:

If you want to keep making subpar rice or don't cook rice that often, then a non-induction cooker will suit you just fine
I don't want that! After doing some research it looks like induction's gonna be the way to go.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

No Wave posted:

I don't want that! After doing some research it looks like induction's gonna be the way to go.

What research and what product did you end up buying, for the record? I have been looking at getting a decent rice cooker since we go through rice at my household like nobody's business.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Arcturas posted:

What does the "fuzzy logic" part of the rice cooker do? Is it just a way for the cooker to figure out how the rice has cooked?

It's a form of control that's well suited to handling systems whose needs for inputs (such as heat) change over time. As rice goes from 'not boiling' to 'boiling' to 'simmering' to 'nearly cooked' to 'cooked, keep warm', a fuzzy logic controller is better able to handle that process than a regular hard logic or a PID controller. In programming terms, it uses a weighted combination of inputs (such as water level, temperature, cook time) to determine the output (heating), rather than using binary inputs and binary logic.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

aldantefax posted:

What research and what product did you end up buying, for the record? I have been looking at getting a decent rice cooker since we go through rice at my household like nobody's business.
I was sort of into Zojirushi to start with and apparently they recommend neuro fuzzy for people who use the machine for people who chiefly don't make rice and induction for people who use it mainly for rice. So Zojirushi HBC10 because I really feel like dropping some dollars on this and 5.5 cups seems like the right size for me.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

nwin posted:

gently caress drinking + access to the Internet. I ordered the Sansaire last night.

After reading this, I went ahead and bought one too. I have a big boxy FMS 2000w setup, which works great, but it's just overkill for cooking a couple of steaks in a bucket and it's so awkward and a PITA to unpack and set up that I hardly ever end up using it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrosephofArimathea posted:

After reading this, I went ahead and bought one too. I have a big boxy FMS 2000w setup, which works great, but it's just overkill for cooking a couple of steaks in a bucket and it's so awkward and a PITA to unpack and set up that I hardly ever end up using it.

Bwahaha. Share my pain!

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
My boyfriend and I have been trading off purchases for our new apartment, and my next contribution is going to be a pizza stone, we've decided. I did some research and am caught between two brands. The first is the Emile Henry Flame Top Pizza Stone, which has the benefits of being pretty, have built-in handles, and being dishwasher safe (I am incredibly lazy, so this is a big plus).

The other is the FibraMent-D, which looks lot more like a baking stone, I guess doesn't need to be taken out of the oven, is scraped clean and as an added bonus is constructed pretty close to my home town.

Does anyone have any preference or experience with either of these?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd buy a Baking Steel, personally.

http://bakingsteel.com/shop/the-big/

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Chemmy posted:

Or have one done for you for ~$40 if you have an industrial area anywhere near you. It's about $15-20 for the chunk of steel and $20 for the sandblasting.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^probably depends on where you live though, this site does custom cut metal plate and even 16x14x.25 is $116.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=724&step=4&showunits=inches&id=233&top_cat=1

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chemmy posted:

For those who do not know - the fact that metal can't hold heat as well as stone is actually good in this case because it is more conductive, meaning that while it will technically measure cooler than the stone it is capable of delivering more heat to your 'za.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-pizza-lab-the-baking-steel-delivers.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've done cast iron skillet pizza, do you think I could use a cast iron flat top griddle similarly to a baking steel?

(not using the typical cast iron method where you heat the skillet on the stove first, but doing the baking stone method where you leave the griddle in the oven the whole time)

edit: ugh, well I guess I'd have to make rectangle pizzas since it's 9x16, but other than that?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 4, 2013

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Steve Yun posted:

I've seen cast iron skillet pizza, do you think I could use a cast iron flat top griddle similarly to a baking steel?

Yeah it will work alright. I don't know the exact science of the metals and stuff but its a big hot heavy piece of metal. It'll cook a pizza.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

^probably depends on where you live though, this site does custom cut metal plate and even 16x14x.25 is $116.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=724&step=4&showunits=inches&id=233&top_cat=1

Baking Steel is not food grade, it's A36 IIRC.

FishBulb posted:

Yeah it will work alright. I don't know the exact science of the metals and stuff but its a big hot heavy piece of metal. It'll cook a pizza.

Kenji to the rescue: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/10/the-pizza-lab-baking-steel-lodge-cast-iron-pizza.html

tl;dr: it's the thickness that makes a difference.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I bought a zojirushi to replace my old no-name rice-cooker from K-mart.

It takes more than 2 hours to cook the amount of brown rice that my old one did in 50 minutes and it is only a little bit better. I feel like I messed up by getting this new rice cooker. Am I doing it wrong?

I wish I hadn't given away my old rice cooker :(

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

I'm sure a baking steel is BETTER but the dude already has cast iron. He can use it to make pretty good pizza.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well, the 9x16 dimensions mean I'll probably just stick to the cast iron skillet method instead, rectangle pizzas are no fun

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Yaaaaaay Green LED tier reached (and broken $700K with more than a day left) green $179 Sansaire :getin:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gotta say, sending an advance item for Kenji to test was loving brilliant. Not at all an insult - I think everyone wins that way - but wow, that guy has some seriously strong untapped market potential.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Anova lowered the price of their circulator to $199, coincidence?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Knockknees posted:

I bought a zojirushi to replace my old no-name rice-cooker from K-mart.

It takes more than 2 hours to cook the amount of brown rice that my old one did in 50 minutes and it is only a little bit better. I feel like I messed up by getting this new rice cooker. Am I doing it wrong?

I wish I hadn't given away my old rice cooker :(

:sigh:

OK. If you're going to buy a Zojirushi, understand that it will take longer, but it will also /keep/ longer. White rice takes freaking 90 minutes, but will stay piping hot, WITHOUT DRYING for about 5 days. Brown rice takes nearly two hours, but will also stay piping hot without mushing or drying for three days (after three days, all the rice is eaten, because we eat a lot of rice). It also has a timer function that you set before you leave for work. Coming home and starting the thing is a dumb idea, because it is going to take a while. Think of the Zojirushi as your constant use rice pot. You don't use it, and then fridge the rice. You cook a rice, leave it in there, and have piping hot rice for all your meals.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

deimos posted:

Yaaaaaay Green LED tier reached (and broken $700K with more than a day left) green $179 Sansaire :getin:

deimos posted:

Anova lowered the price of their circulator to $199, coincidence?

Wasn't it always $199? fake edit: Their products page lists it at $299, but it's $199 on the actualy product page. I guess that must be the old price.

I'm considering unbacking Sansaire. I'm pretty sure they said at some point that $199 is the intended post-kickstarter price (you know, ~four months later when they finally ship), and the extras are kinda lovely for how much money they raised. Plus, the Anova looks better in my opinion and the LCD screen is more useful. And it seems to be available now.

I would feel bad about not supporting a hobbyist inventor but I'm pretty sure Mr. Heimendinger will probably make a lot of money off this.

23 hours left on the clock if anyone's on the edge.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

After hearing about the Anova pricedrop I unbacked the Sansaire -- the market is about to boom, early adopting is probably not the best idea. I guarantee we'll see something better and/or cheaper than the Sansaire/Anova very soon.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Me in Reverse posted:

After hearing about the Anova pricedrop I unbacked the Sansaire -- the market is about to boom, early adopting is probably not the best idea. I guarantee we'll see something better and/or cheaper than the Sansaire/Anova very soon.

Good god, the Anova has pump vectoring, they looked similar enough, but after reading a bit about it I can't unback fast enough.

e: I am also pretty happy with the feedback directly from Anova to users in this eGullet thread

I mean things like this:

quote:

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I investigated the issue today at production and found out that one dude (a new guy) was reading meter values wrong - I told him he was making me look bad.

Anyways production control caught this last week and already self corrected.

Solutions:
1) bump up your set temp (0.9C) 2) use the self calibration function that I posted 3) I can do it for you if you really want to send your unit back to me

deimos fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 5, 2013

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Just unbacked the Sansaire as well, think I might go for the Anova though, I'm sure these will drop, but maybe $50-100 at most? But will probably lose some features in the process. PID's are expensive and will probably continue being expensive.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is pump vectoring?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Yeah I just found that too. Wish I'd known about it sooner.

Here's an unboxing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMGIb2WFQBU

Unboxings are usually pretty useless but it gives you a decent look at the clamp mechanism and a sense of scale. The pot he uses is 12 quarts.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What is pump vectoring?

I'm also trying to figure this out. Maybe you can twist the bottom to control what direction it circulates?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

What is pump vectoring?

You can aim the pump whatever way you want on the Anova. So on a circular container you can make it swirl around, on a square you can make it go around bags, if cooking eggs you could minimize turbulence to get stable temperatures with the least amount of movement on eggs.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Looks like if you pause that unboxing video at 5:50 (he's scrolling through the pdf manual at this point), you can see the pump outlet (#8). I assume you rotate #7 to aim it, but it doesn't say that explicitly.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I didn't unback the sansaire but I did go ahead and order the Anova as well. Sansaire just became a christmas gift/backup if the Anova doesn't work out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

What is pump vectoring?

Like aiming your pee

edit: While you're sitting in the jacuzzi

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

dino. posted:

:sigh:

OK. If you're going to buy a Zojirushi, understand that it will take longer, but it will also /keep/ longer. White rice takes freaking 90 minutes, but will stay piping hot, WITHOUT DRYING for about 5 days. Brown rice takes nearly two hours, but will also stay piping hot without mushing or drying for three days (after three days, all the rice is eaten, because we eat a lot of rice). It also has a timer function that you set before you leave for work. Coming home and starting the thing is a dumb idea, because it is going to take a while. Think of the Zojirushi as your constant use rice pot. You don't use it, and then fridge the rice. You cook a rice, leave it in there, and have piping hot rice for all your meals.

Well, I basically chose it because I heard over and over that it was awesome and the best. It didn't occur to me that it would take so much extra time. The amount of rice that we eat doesn't really justify needing to keep it warm for several days. I have been able to set it before I leave for work a few times, but most of the time I'm just not in a place to be meal planning very well.

We've actually switched to using instant rice since I bought this rice cooker because the situation is usually "oh my goodness, I didn't know that you were showing up for dinner, I better find something I can pull together fast"

I'm sorry food world, I thought I did my research, but I didn't ask the right questions. Please, no one repeat my mistake! :(

• Locked thread