Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

"Reno Craigslist posted:

1992 jeep Cherokee for sale - $250 (Reno nv)

We have a 1992 jeep Cherokee, not running, selling for parts, transmission and interior in good shape, engine is no good, recently caught fire so engine is shot and hood is ruined, other then that perfectly fine, can be repaired but will cost over 1,000$ to repair and we don't want to. Asking 250.00$ obo, text 775 544 1383 for pics and more info!

I don't think even Ken would rate that as an otherwise fine. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A family friend is a retired dealer and may still be licensed. It occurred to me that I might be able to access dealer auctions through him. The public auctions I've generally seen aren't worth the time; have you guys ever been to a dealer's auction? I'm not sure how used inventory is these days and if there would be an opportunity at savings.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How do you feel about making a purchasing decision in 20 seconds on a car you've had no more than a brief opportunity to look at from the outside?

Dealer auctions are about volume. Dealers buy lots and lots of cars very quickly, and then figure out what they've got and what can be sold for a reasonable markup. They also have their own shops, usually, so they can fix up whatever is hosed.

It's not really a good environment for a one-car buyer to find the right car. You can probably get a smoking deal, but it'll be really random what you wind up with.

Eternal Sunshine
Jul 22, 2008

Make my skin radiant!

Hey guys! So, I was sent here from the Goon Meets Phoenix thread (Arizona, where else?).

I'm in need of an automobile right now, car/suv, and I figured I'd check here because I trust stranger goons a lot more than I trust complete strangers.

Short Back-story:
My beloved 2000 Honda Civic that I really, really didn't want to lose, has had problems with overheating since April. After 4 mechanics and roughly $1,400 worth of work which still didn't fix the original overheating problem, I finally just told my mom that I'm borrowing her car instead for school and giving up on my Honda. (Which is frustrating because it has four brand new tires/new radiator/new cat converter/head gasket/etc.) I forgot exactly what they figured was wrong this time, but they quoted the fix at $1k which may not even completely fix it.

SO. I am now in need of a new used car. Money is really tight right now due to college, but I am willing to pay up to (but no amount over) $3k. I don't mind whether it's automatic or manual/standard (preferred). I really want a vehicle that runs well, and that I can depend on. I would actually prefer a small suv such as a hyundai santa fe, but cars are fine too (no hatchbacks though because I have to carry a bike).

I'm not in a huge hurry due to borrowing my mom's silly little Nissan, but soonish would be nice. I am checking the Phoenix Craigslist daily, but as I said...I don't want to depend on or place my trust in a complete stranger due to issues in the past. Instead, I want to place my trust in a goon!

Alternatively, if there's a mechanic out there who wants to give my Honda Civic a gander for super cheap, let me know! ;)

Thanks in advance! :3

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Buy a miata

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Lets not start this poo poo here... I enjoy this thread and its poorly written ads.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A: Find competent mechanic.
B: Fix the Civic.

I sound like an rear end in a top hat in this post, but I would not throw the car away without correctly diagnosing what is wrong. It sounds like the mechanics were throwing parts at it.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 2, 2013

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Well, we can head this off right here.

AI meets BFC: Ask which car is right for you, and whether you can afford one.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://omaha.craigslist.org/tls/4025125620.html

Some one screen shot this fast.... on my phone so I can't get a decent one.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/tls/4025125620.html

Some one screen shot this fast.... on my phone so I can't get a decent one.

Eternal Sunshine
Jul 22, 2008

Make my skin radiant!

animeliker posted:

A: Find competent mechanic.
B: Fix the Civic.

I sound like an rear end in a top hat in this post, but I would not throw the car away without correctly diagnosing what is wrong. It sounds like the mechanics were throwing parts at it.

Two mechanics were people I know personally (yes, they are certified). The other two were just regular car shops that had really excellent reviews about fixing Hondas, overheating problems, etc. I'm just wondering how many mechanics I have to take it to before I get an honest answer. One had my Civic for a month and a half and worked on it every couple days and said they couldn't figure it out. So...I'm just really, truly frustrated. I don't know anything about cars so I'm basically placing my trust in mechanics who just care if you throw money at them. A car being fixed by real mechanics since April has me really impatient with it. Everyone keeps saying "okay, problem fixed!" Then the car works for a day (or two weeks this time), and then does the same exact thing again. :/ So...I don't know where else to go to get it fixed because it seems to just be nickle and diming me. Like, how much do I have to spend before it's not worth it sort of thing. I'm on a very, extremely limited budget, and I don't want to get over my head fixing the Civic only to have something else go wrong even if this other thing gets fixed.

As I said, I'm not car savvy at all, so I looked here for help and advice. If a new used car would be better than wasting my time fixing the Civic, then that's the route I want to go. But yeah...I'm just frustrated with the amount of mechanics I've already gone to.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Eternal Sunshine posted:

Two mechanics were people I know personally (yes, they are certified). The other two were just regular car shops that had really excellent reviews about fixing Hondas, overheating problems, etc. I'm just wondering how many mechanics I have to take it to before I get an honest answer. One had my Civic for a month and a half and worked on it every couple days and said they couldn't figure it out. So...I'm just really, truly frustrated. I don't know anything about cars so I'm basically placing my trust in mechanics who just care if you throw money at them. A car being fixed by real mechanics since April has me really impatient with it. Everyone keeps saying "okay, problem fixed!" Then the car works for a day (or two weeks this time), and then does the same exact thing again. :/ So...I don't know where else to go to get it fixed because it seems to just be nickle and diming me. Like, how much do I have to spend before it's not worth it sort of thing. I'm on a very, extremely limited budget, and I don't want to get over my head fixing the Civic only to have something else go wrong even if this other thing gets fixed.

As I said, I'm not car savvy at all, so I looked here for help and advice. If a new used car would be better than wasting my time fixing the Civic, then that's the route I want to go. But yeah...I'm just frustrated with the amount of mechanics I've already gone to.

In what conditions does it overheat? Does the needle start rising as soon as it starts and continued into the red? Does it sit at "normal" for a while before overheating? What happens when it overheats? Are you actually seeing steam or any evidence of it under the hood?
Does it happen in any outside temperature? What types of weather do you drive in? Are you using the A/C when it happens? Have you tried running the heat on high to see if it brings the needle down?

I think most people on here will find it very hard to believe a competent mechanic had a month and a half to diagnose a cooling system problem on a late-model Civic and failed. There are only so many things that can fail and cause that outcome.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
At any rate, you should be posting in the questions thread, or start a new thread, and you will get help. This thread is for Craigslist gold - awesome or hilarious Craigslist posts.

Over $150k "invested".

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/4009208074.html

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Hashal posted:

At any rate, you should be posting in the questions thread, or start a new thread, and you will get help. This thread is for Craigslist gold - awesome or hilarious Craigslist posts.

Over $150k "invested".

I always wanted to see what a modern day owner of a modified h2 looks like, and now I know. I've been curious who in their right mind still owns an H2. It is not socially "cool" anymore and it sure as hell isnt efficient.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

everyone takes tons of pictures wherever I go.

They'd take tons of pictures if you were running around in a crotchless fursuit with poo poo-stained tighty-whities on your head, too, and for roughly the same reason.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

VideoTapir posted:

They'd take tons of pictures if you were running around in a crotchless fursuit with poo poo-stained tighty-whities on your head, too, and for roughly the same reason.

Well to be honest with the amount of garbage in his garage there is no reason to have a car short enough to fit inside of it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I love that the picture of the owner shows that he's about as short as I would expect. notcompensating.jpg

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hashal posted:

Over $150k "invested".

Of course it's West Covina, why wouldn't it be?

I was going to say "I bet his neighbors love him" but that whole mess is probably one of the more innocuous things going on there.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3994918657.html

Two Yugos, one runs, one is a parts car, 600 each. I'd probably pay 600 for both if I went for them.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3982453613.html

This on the other hand could be fun.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

BraveUlysses posted:

I love that the picture of the owner shows that he's about as short as I would expect. notcompensating.jpg

150k "invested" in his hummer
Still wearing jorts from Wal*Mart

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

blk posted:

A family friend is a retired dealer and may still be licensed. It occurred to me that I might be able to access dealer auctions through him. The public auctions I've generally seen aren't worth the time; have you guys ever been to a dealer's auction? I'm not sure how used inventory is these days and if there would be an opportunity at savings.

I have been to the car auction in exactly your shoes about 5 times. As stated above this is no place for a one car buyer. You literally get seconds to look at the car, IF you see it coming down one of the 15 or so lanes that are going simultaneously. The only way you can be sure your getting a decent deal at a large volume dealer auction is to buy something that is very new and still under bumper to bumper warranty. You still have to make sure it's not a totally rebuilt salvage car, which is hard to spot in that environment. The risk vs reward is not in your favor and that's what kept me from ever pulling the trigger. After that experience I could see some value in paying dealer markup on brand new, due to the lack of risk involved.

Citycop fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 3, 2013

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Really it makes more sense to go to a county surplus auction or estate auction. surplus generally receive fleet maintenance and estate vehicles are typically low miles due to the age disability of the previous owners. Plus the auction won't put up the cars on the block for hours allowing you to look them over and maybe car fax on your phone. You just have to be patient and have money on hand. My two best vehicles I bought at auctions, 03 silverado for 3k and an 85 Olds delta 88 for $250 and they are both still on the road.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4018424841.html

Well, there's a swap I wasn't expecting.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Citycop posted:

I have been to the car auction in exactly your shoes about 5 times. As stated above this is no place for a one car buyer. You literally get seconds to look at the car, IF you see it coming down one of the 15 or so lanes that are going simultaneously. The only way you can be sure your getting a decent deal at a large volume dealer auction is to buy something that is very new and still under bumper to bumper warranty. You still have to make sure it's not a totally rebuilt salvage car, which is hard to spot in that environment. The risk vs reward is not in your favor and that's what kept me from ever pulling the trigger. After that experience I could see some value in paying dealer markup on brand new, due to the lack of risk involved.

I've been to auctions like Ritchie Bros or Booker (my personal favorite, http://www3.bookerauction.com/) where they had all the equipment displayed to the public. You can spend all day wandering around, looking, even starting the engine I think (no driving, IIRC). Eventually they drive it to the block and you bid. We scored quite a few old irrigation district pickups, some of which are still doing great on farm duty after 10 years.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I really hope one of you maniacs buys that.

That said, why would an ad for a car that awesome be composed so horribly? My guess is the keys had too much oil on them.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Same here. Beautiful car though. That may actually be worth something approaching the asking price.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

:stare:

Oh my god.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/4023351819.html
Is it a real Carlsson? I don't even know what I'm looking at when it comes to Saab...

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

krysmopompas posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/4023351819.html
Is it a real Carlsson? I don't even know what I'm looking at when it comes to Saab...

The VIN is an 'Internal Only' designation. They didn't make a Carlsson in 1988. it was 90-92, and this would have been a really awful post-paint job that nobody wanted on one. The only thing this car has to designate that as a possibility is that it is a hatchback.

I've been eyeing that one, too, but I can't afford the bi-weekly C900 repair expenses.

E: The drivers door or front quarter panel has been hit. That is not a normal gap, this is pre-GM. :v:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 4, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4032547718.html

It seems every one is selling off their retarded H2's lately.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

So here's a thing

On the one hand I love the idea... but the execution leaves something to be desired.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4032164011.html

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Those Corvette tail lights look atrocious. :barf:

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Pretty sweet deal on a relatively clean looking datsun b210 in CA via police auction. From all indications it's a runner, and I doubt the bid will go over $500.

http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=377&acctid=2715

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Every time one of the masochists here talks about their Range Rover repairs, it triggers my need to self-harm and I do a craigslist search for one. Turned up this classic today:

Had to crop the keyword list for picture size, but here it is:

quote:

toyota Honda Cadillac mustang convertible chevy Range Rover RV mobile homes land BMW Bentley Boat bike motor motorcycle Roll Royce ford Benz 20 22 24 26 28 30 cutless 442 crown vick Harley Davison Lexus power seats Auto playing cat dog frog playstation kia mercury Durango car Radio 4br limo JL audio pipe

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Hog Obituary posted:

So here's a thing

On the one hand I love the idea... but the execution leaves something to be desired.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4032164011.html

350 with a 4 speed muncie.

I love crazy engine swaps, but I think he likely put less power in this car than it had when he started.

No pics on this one, well because there aren't any..

Ford F350 lifted MONSTER - $1 (newington)
Sick mudd truck ford 460 open headers, built tranny, custom lift, custom everything, f150 rust free body, 2.5 tons rockwell axles, 56" tires, 12000lb winch, truck has never seen mudd, truck is badass 61 inches to bottom of cab this thing is huge. Tittle in hand but truck is offroad only. Looking for trades or 13.000 cash. Will deliver for small fee. Any questions call anytime 8608188581
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Sick mudd truck thats never seen mudd.

Wonder if its seen mud?

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 5, 2013

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4032547718.html

It seems every one is selling off their retarded H2's lately.

I was going to make a comment about how he parked, then I realized the thing next to him that also has giant BLING RIMZ next to it is also parked like an assdouche...

...in an apartment complex parking lot. :sigh:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I mean, its not even so much that.....

But the interiors in these trucks look like absolute poo poo. Whats up with the gear selector? Or the ho hum inspired dash?

I get they are for douchebags and all, but god drat, do the engineers at GM have any self respect for putting that truck on the road?

Edit: I also just looked, they actually have a selector for the 4x4. Seriously? They couldn't even make a decent AWD system?

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 6, 2013

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I hope the engineers are trying to punish anyone dumb enough to buy one of those pieces of poo poo. "Want to a fake Humvee? We're going to make your experience as miserable as possible. :dealwithit:"

e: they just overestimated the target demographic's taste which is a pretty easy mistake to make.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

This person is a loving monster. The body treatment, the swap, all of it. Burn him alive in that abomination as a warning to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Galler posted:

e: they just overestimated the target demographic's taste which is a pretty easy mistake to make.

I live in Omaha. Let me tell you about all the tacky modifications people do to their cars. Bro-trucks, stick on vents, giant wheels, etc. I saw a dude with a Jeep Grand Cherokee that could barely keep it on the road with his RIMZ bouncing all over the place.

It was frightening to watch.