Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
We have a new CEO and she's frustrated. We're an IT team of two, and as soon as she got in, she wanted to get rid of her desktop, and use new laptop exclusively.

- Our network is Windows XP, she insisted on Windows 7 for the laptop, not a big problem.

- Corporate requires the laptop to be encrypted (Sophos), and at work it has to be on a static IP.

- Corporate's GPO has file synchronization and offline files disabled. Our GPO uses homefolder redirection. In other words if one completely loses LAN connection, files are unavailable. This has never presented a problem before.

- For her to get to her files from home, she has sign in locally to the laptop, then sign into a VPN, then sign into a terminal server. Mercifully I made all three of these the same login/password.

Now, she doesn't like that she has "two desktops", she wants to be able to work offline and not worry about shuttling her files between the laptop and the terminal server desktop. How can I simplify things as much as possible for her? I'd just join the laptop to the domain if it weren't for needing an internet connection and VPN to reach the files. Plus, I've seen on some of our other laptops, that when they can't get a connection they won't always honor the cached credentials and might refuse login through the encryption software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
A Chair gave out...

And took my phone with it. Now filing for a replacement chair with facilities and filing a ticket for a replacement mobile. I'm uninjured

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Crowley posted:

Yeah it's been posted before, but if I saw that in a job application it would go right into the "Definitely interview!" stack.

Really, I thought by now we wern't supposed to be mentioning ancient stuff like MS-DOS on our CVs?

Glad I'm not the only one who, as a teenager, got the job of setting up everyone else's CONFIG.SYS files whenever a new game came out.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Lum posted:

Really, I thought by now we wern't supposed to be mentioning ancient stuff like MS-DOS on our CVs?

Glad I'm not the only one who, as a teenager, got the job of setting up everyone else's CONFIG.SYS files whenever a new game came out.

Geek cred is forever.
Man, I miss those days (kind of but not).
Took a class on how to optimize your system - ended up 1/2 teaching the thing along with a buddy of mine. Most computer shops were sooooo bad back then.
Seriously, that was a thing of beauty. Something to be said about the old days.

Also, a ticket came in:

Poor VoIP quality while tethered to iPhone while camping in middle of nowhere somewhere in Montana or Colorado or something. I'm...shocked? That it worked at all, that is.
woooooo Tuesdays!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Lum posted:

About 10 years ago I was in the running for a job with two other people. I was chosen in the end because I knew how to use the subst command without looking it up.

Thank god for "Computer Collage" MCSE courses. Most of the time they answered the technical questions in the interview with "Let me look in my books"

Content:

Took the weekend off, didn't look at work emails at all. That apparently was a poor life choice. One of the Sr's decided to make some "fixes" to the exchange servers on Saturday and now backup and other automated processes emails and emails going out to government employees are now broken. External stuff is perfectly fine.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I'm trying to encrypt my new Laptop without reinstalling, but it's GPT and I can't find a tool that will let me. Anyone know of one?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

blackswordca posted:

About 10 years ago I was in the running for a job with two other people. I was chosen in the end because I knew how to use the subst command without looking it up.

SUBST command aka "I have a huge 2GB hard drive and can't be bothered to keep finding and inserting the CD for this game that has lovely copy protection".

Used that one a lot back in the day :)

XCOPY /E D:\*.* C:\GAMES\SHITGAME\CD
SUBST E: C:\GAMES\SHITGAME\CD
E:
INSTALL
SUBST E: /D

Then make a little batch file that does basically the same thing only runs the game.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Lum posted:

SUBST command aka "I have a huge 2GB hard drive and can't be bothered to keep finding and inserting the CD for this game that has lovely copy protection".

Used that one a lot back in the day :)

XCOPY /E D:\*.* C:\GAMES\SHITGAME\CD
SUBST E: C:\GAMES\SHITGAME\CD
E:
INSTALL
SUBST E: /D

Then make a little batch file that does basically the same thing only runs the game.

Pretty much that. Good Ol' Civ 2

Content:

Apparently Sr restarted the server and didn't check services.. most of the exchange services were stopped.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

Pretty much that. Good Ol' Civ 2

Content:

Apparently Sr restarted the server and didn't check services.. most of the exchange services were stopped.

Watch as you get blamed for it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
"Users unable to hit auto discover after o356 migration"
So after a bunch of people looking at FW rules for some reason, I get asked what it might be.

Does the client have the proper DNS PTR's, Forwarders and Reverse lookup?

Guess what they don't have that should be there!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Finally got backing up completely implemented with lvm's and fully automated cron jobs that snapshot the lvm each saturday at 12am complete with a comment log.

Who's backed up? This guy. :smug:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Siochain posted:

Also, a ticket came in:

Poor VoIP quality while tethered to iPhone while camping in middle of nowhere somewhere in Montana or Colorado or something. I'm...shocked? That it worked at all, that is.
woooooo Tuesdays!

The best I had was poor voice quality when running a softphone app on on Iphone tethered to a home wifi in Japan that connected to a US PBX via VPN.

So much wrong.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

I had a work study helpdesk job in college, but not the campus wide helpdesk. You see the previous president had hilariously mismanaged the school so it had something like a 45 million dollar annual shortfall in the budget. As one of the cost saving measures they massively cut the IT budget (along with many other department budgets), naturally helpdesk response times went through the roof. This meant the dean had to wait hours for someone to come by and put paper in his printer when it ran out which made him very upset since he was an important person and his printing shouldn't be held up by some pleb. So he created a second mini IT group so he would always have someone available to refill him printer paper or install flash updates. As this was really hard to justify when everyone else had to cut budgets he justified it by extending it to 'priority' faculty. Priority faculty were the influential tenured professors the deal liked which usually meant old, crotchety, and completely computer illiterate.

The most common problems were of course 'broken' printers. About a third were out of paper, another third weren't turned on, and the last third were paper jams because someone (never them!) had tried to refill the paper and stuffed it in sideways or put photo paper in the laser printer or they unplugged it to clear the 200 queued print jobs because they needed theirs in a hurry. They also often had very specific computer needs. One needed a windows 3.1 system because that was the only OS the driver for their 10 million dollar electron microscope worked with. Trying to do anything else while the microscope was doing its thing would crash the computer so he had to have a second one to actually work on. It had to be a mac running OS 7 because gently caress you. I think my boss had a voodoo doll of that guy and a long term strategy of basically praying for death (for either of them) before something catastrophic happened.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lum posted:

Surely PC gaming in the UK was pretty rare during the period that was an issue - I know that the only other PC gamer I knew at school had a CS professor for a father. I remember everyone else being Amiga or ST (not Mac, not in the UK) - oh, and the headmaster when I was at primary school was also a PC gamer (this was in the 80s, even) so we traded pirate games all the time, haha.

There's a weird bit in that - as far as I can tell - most of the people pushing the "PC Master-race" stuff were, at the time, Amiga gamers (certainly true of the Rock-Paper-Shotgun writers) whereas most of the PC gamers of the time are on 360 or PS3 now (famously Charlie Brooker) which is why they still moan about how difficult PC gaming is (as they have all the memories of IRQ conflicts etc - for instance the way that Soundblaster 16 clones always seemed to want to use the original Soundblaster IRQs by default, but real Soundblaster 16s used a different one, and this caused problems with crap clones/games)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I grew up with a BBC Micro, and later an Atari ST. Also owned a NES and a SNES. hosed up my thumbs playing too much Mario Kart to the point that using a game pad for too long still hurts.
Got my first gaming PC for xmas 1993 after being blown away by seeing Doom on a friend's dad's PC. Before that I wanted a Mac as that's what we had in school. Doom literally saved me from becoming a lifelong Mac user.

I ended up joining a local "computer club" that it turned out basically existed to allow everyone to pirate games. It even had the obligatory shifty looking old dude selling "Blobby CDs" full of pirated games for £10 each as this was back in the days when CD writers were seriously expensive, so a lot of my social circle from those pre-internet days ended up being PC gamers, and somehow I ended up being the CONFIG.SYS expert.

Haven't owned another gaming system since. The fact that gamepads are still physically painful for me means I'm probably always going to remain a PC gamer, and moan about lovely ports that need a gamepad to be playable. It's also worth noting that I didn't fully give up DOS until after several years of dual booting it with Windows XP.

Didn't know Charlie Brooker still did anything to do with games (I used to love his columns in PC Zone) but RPS is quite fun. I only started reading that quite recently after chatting with one of the writers at Nine Worlds last month.

On the topic of Brooker. Did anyone ever archive his old comics website, superkaylo.com? I'd love to read that again but archive.org don't have it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Migishu posted:

Watch as you get blamed for it.

I am expecting it to be honest, even though there is an email that went out to the entire company that the Sr was messing with the server

We get to leave early today because of a bicycle race shutting down the majority of the downtown core this afternoon. I have to leave at the same time because I am taking bus to and from work. I let my manager know and he said " No problem, just work from home after hours to make up your missed time"

yeah.. I'll get right on that. Need to figure out how to bill playing through the giant stack of unplayed sale games in my steam library.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 3, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lum posted:

Didn't know Charlie Brooker still did anything to do with games
Gameswipe / Newswipe had bits of stuff on games (and has had a new series commissioned) - and going by his Twitter he certainly plays them still (just not on PC)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ookiimarukochan posted:

Surely PC gaming in the UK was pretty rare during the period that was an issue - I know that the only other PC gamer I knew at school had a CS professor for a father. I remember everyone else being Amiga or ST (not Mac, not in the UK) - oh, and the headmaster when I was at primary school was also a PC gamer (this was in the 80s, even) so we traded pirate games all the time, haha.

There's a weird bit in that - as far as I can tell - most of the people pushing the "PC Master-race" stuff were, at the time, Amiga gamers (certainly true of the Rock-Paper-Shotgun writers) whereas most of the PC gamers of the time are on 360 or PS3 now (famously Charlie Brooker) which is why they still moan about how difficult PC gaming is (as they have all the memories of IRQ conflicts etc - for instance the way that Soundblaster 16 clones always seemed to want to use the original Soundblaster IRQs by default, but real Soundblaster 16s used a different one, and this caused problems with crap clones/games)

I remember still having to mess about with CONFIG.SYS and boot disks in the early 90s, which I thought was after the Amiga heyday?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Zero VGS posted:

We have a new CEO and she's frustrated. We're an IT team of two, and as soon as she got in, she wanted to get rid of her desktop, and use new laptop exclusively.

- Our network is Windows XP, she insisted on Windows 7 for the laptop, not a big problem.

- Corporate requires the laptop to be encrypted (Sophos), and at work it has to be on a static IP.

- Corporate's GPO has file synchronization and offline files disabled. Our GPO uses homefolder redirection. In other words if one completely loses LAN connection, files are unavailable. This has never presented a problem before.

- For her to get to her files from home, she has sign in locally to the laptop, then sign into a VPN, then sign into a terminal server. Mercifully I made all three of these the same login/password.

Now, she doesn't like that she has "two desktops", she wants to be able to work offline and not worry about shuttling her files between the laptop and the terminal server desktop. How can I simplify things as much as possible for her? I'd just join the laptop to the domain if it weren't for needing an internet connection and VPN to reach the files. Plus, I've seen on some of our other laptops, that when they can't get a connection they won't always honor the cached credentials and might refuse login through the encryption software.

It will probably be too complex for her (I feel for you, our last CEO barely knew how to use the Verizon icon to get the aircard up before signing in to her email; thankfully all she needed was email) but if you have the VPN account enabled for all users she can log straight into it at the login screen by hitting switch user, then the network icon that pops up next to the shutdown icon in the lower right, and then logging in to the VPN. If there's only one VPN connection it'll choose that automatically so she won't have to choose one to log in to. That will get her her network drives and any other GPO applied to her laptop.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alctel posted:

I remember still having to mess about with CONFIG.SYS and boot disks in the early 90s, which I thought was after the Amiga heyday?

Depends on your definition I suppose:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Lum posted:

I grew up with a BBC Micro, and later an Atari ST. Also owned a NES and a SNES. hosed up my thumbs playing too much Mario Kart to the point that using a game pad for too long still hurts.
Got my first gaming PC for xmas 1993 after being blown away by seeing Doom on a friend's dad's PC. Before that I wanted a Mac as that's what we had in school. Doom literally saved me from becoming a lifelong Mac user.

You're going to love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIb8JdoWF00

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

"Users unable to hit auto discover after o356 migration"
So after a bunch of people looking at FW rules for some reason, I get asked what it might be.

Does the client have the proper DNS PTR's, Forwarders and Reverse lookup?

Guess what they don't have that should be there!

We don't have a self management DNS portal, so we put all these into place manually for all the zones that we are authoritative on. :negative:

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
On that image I posted. . . let's just say the guy before me is a moron. The job is good and I'm getting the environment unfucked but I've found some hilarious poo poo. Like a laptop with a win7Ultimate OEM sticker on the bottom, but running win7 home 32bit (oh laptop also had 16gb for some reason)with hacked dlls to let it connect to the domain.

Also some folks try to login, and it takes, no joke 45 minutes.

The enterprise admin and I are trying to find out why, but no clue. He told the users it was a "government script" he was "required to run by law"

Oh the other fun thing. . . I've been virtualizing some of my servers (why run a license server alone on an old 2850 power hog?).

Try to join the computer back to the domain? "you cannot do this because the credentials to join this computer to the domain do not match the previous credentials"

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Some of those policies sound pretty awful tbh, windows xp, no offline files and no TS gateway access is tough. Sounds like you're under corporates thumb, but she might be used to working somewhere different.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I tried to send in a ticket....

But when I hit submit, I get an angry red message that says:

"Description must have at least 0 and no more than 256 characters."

:what: It's like the Twitter version of tech support. I then spent 5min trying to paraphrase my problem and troubleshooting steps I'd already taken into their dumb form.

quote:

IT NO WORK U PLZ FIX #THX

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sirotan posted:

:what: It's like the Twitter version of tech support. I then spent 5min trying to paraphrase my problem and troubleshooting steps I'd already taken into their dumb form.

That's dumb as hell.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

blackswordca posted:

I am expecting it to be honest, even though there is an email that went out to the entire company that the Sr was messing with the server

We get to leave early today because of a bicycle race shutting down the majority of the downtown core this afternoon. I have to leave at the same time because I am taking bus to and from work. I let my manager know and he said " No problem, just work from home after hours to make up your missed time"

yeah.. I'll get right on that. Need to figure out how to bill playing through the giant stack of unplayed sale games in my steam library.

Me and that Bike Race are going to get in a fight. I hate downtown on the best of days but not being able to cross the street to get a loving coffee because there might be a bike at some point in the next 15 minutes is going to turn me into one of those guys that 'accidentally' opens his car door into bike traffic.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sirotan posted:

And it's not like a subject/body style system? You just have 256 characters period, end of story? Holy crap. :psyduck:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Antioch posted:

Me and that Bike Race are going to get in a fight. I hate downtown on the best of days but not being able to cross the street to get a loving coffee because there might be a bike at some point in the next 15 minutes is going to turn me into one of those guys that 'accidentally' opens his car door into bike traffic.

I know when I came into work this morning at 7:30, parts of 107st and 100st were already being blocked off.

Just got the word, we are leaving here at 3pm today. so yay for that.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Siochain posted:

woooooo Tuesdays!

Wait, they're using their phone data to use phone voice? They couldn't just dial the number?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Wait, they're using their phone data to use phone voice? They couldn't just dial the number?

My wife and many other people have 15+ minute long sms conversations that could be covered in about 45 seconds of speaking so this almost seems more normal. Look at this picture of chewbacca.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Sirotan posted:

Just "tweet" them a link to Pastebin :P

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kyrosiris posted:

And it's not like a subject/body style system? You just have 256 characters period, end of story? Holy crap. :psyduck:

Every ticket must be in the form of a haiku.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yepppp

Apparently you can also submit a ticket with no information whatsoever! Dell :downs:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Two very obvious and very common scenarios:
- They are connecting to a PBX and need their non-direct dial extension to work, are part of a rotary or call group, or need access to internal conference rooms that don't have direct dial
- They are calling long distance and using an OTT service to do so because cell carrier international rates are often terrible

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

Volmarias posted:

Sorrow arrives now
Connections and file I/O
Our NAS accepts none

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
on the patch panel
no connections, no lights on
UPS? Ha, no

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sirotan posted:

Yepppp

Apparently you can also submit a ticket with no information whatsoever! Dell :downs:

Is it sad that the fact that it's Dell makes this a lot less :psyduck:-inducing?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

Monoprice cables,
Because none here want to crimp.
Why still in transit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Alctel posted:

A huge number of the classic Amiga games came out in the mid 90s (the majority of Team 17's well known games for instance) - I don't think it was really until Doom that Amiga players sat up and noticed the PC - yeah they all claimed that Alien Breed 3D was even better but it really wasn't, even the A1200 version, and besides the PC had Dark Forces by then which was even better!

• Locked thread