Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News has put up a 2nd Kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/385528808/future-filmgeekdom-aint-it-cool-with-harry-knowles?ref=card

People on his own site are making GBS threads on it:

http://talkbackers.com/best-of-the-best-in-the-aicn-threads/

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63873

quote:

All Harry personal vitriol aside, people should think twice about funding this Kickstarter for the following reasons;

1. Watch the first season-it's buried on the Nerdist You Tube channel but easily found in the "other shows" section. The production value is actually quite good and I can see where a lot of money was spent on set design, lighting, camera, etc and some of the guests, like Doug Trumbull, are great. But, after watching a few episodes it becomes painfully obvious that the show's problem isn't with the production values or the quality of the guests. The problem is with the host. Harry is a terrible interviewer who seems unable to sit back and let his guests speak (the Trumbull interview being a notable exception). His passive-aggressive interview with former employee turned filmmaker/novelist Robert Cargill is extremely awkward and not enjoyable to watch, to say the least. Plus, all his film criticism seems to be from the "Chris Farley Show" school; "Citizen Kane is so neat; this film is so cool; that shot is so awesome." He brings nothing insightful to the table with his commentaries, plus his movie memorabilia fetishism borders on the creepy. (I think if the Kickstarter announced that John Ary was going to be the new host it might've gotten a better response.) So keep in mind that no matter how much better the sets are or how much more elaborate the vfx are one thing is not going to change in the second season; Harry is still going to be the host and EVERYTHING will revolve around him. All the problems in the first season will be repeated in the second. But, hey, let's say you loved the first season and want more Harry. Why not donate? Well...

2. Just what, exactly, is the format of this second season? Harry is all over the place with what this show is going to be-just like the first season but bigger, longer episodes, live audience, road shows, etc. Each of these different approaches have vastly different creative and production challenges. For instance, the differences involved between shooting the show like the first season (just Harry and his guest in the basement set) and shooting with a live audience are massive. To do the lighting, camera and sound for a live show or to take the entire operation on location is entirely different than what is involved for two people sitting on a set. But Harry seems to be saying, "just fund us and we'll figure something out". That is a recipe for disaster. Not to mention..

3. The Budget!!!! The Budget!!!! This ties into the above but there seems to be no business plan or budget. Harry really needs to present his Kickstarter as he would present the project to a venture capitalist, with a detailed plan of action and a BUDGET. The budget for a $100,000 production is actually pretty simple-I could bang one out in Excel in a few hours with some feedback from the producer and department heads. There seem to be two possibilities regarding the reluctance to reveal any kind of budget on the Kickstarter page. First, per point 2, there isn't a budget and potential donors are just putting their faith in Harry being able to create something out of thin air. No thanks. Or, the second possibility...

4. There is a budget but Harry doesn't want to reveal it. I don't know if anybody else has mentioned this, but in his update today Harry goes to great lengths to point out that he is not legally tied to Ain't We Cool Productions in order to dispel rumors that he is going to use the funds to pay his IRS debts. When I read this, the alarm bells immediately went off. If Harry were legally tied to Ain't We Cool Prods, it would be very messy for him to try to reallocate any donated funds to pay off other debts or obligations other than the 2nd season production costs. However, since he has no ties to the production company, it is possible that Ain't We Cool Prods could pay Harry a sizable fee for his hosting duties, a sizable fee which Harry could then spend as he saw fit. It's still a legally iffy ploy, but it would probably pass muster.

5. If anybody is still on the fence, they should look at a Kickstarter that takes the correct approach to raising capital. I've personally donated to the "Wasteland 2" videogame Kickstarter within the past year. They are very clear and detailed with what they are trying to accomplish and how the donations are going to be spent. Extremely detailed updates are emailed to me on a regular basis along with game play demos, music samples, etc. They had a clear business plan, a detailed budget and presented it on Kickstarter exactly as they would to an independent financier. It does take faith to contribute to a Kickstarter and, I'm sorry, but "give me a $100,000 because I'm just a big kid at heart" just doesn't do it for me. I'd rather donate the money to Doctors Without Borders.

Just my two cents.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63935

quote:

Here's the thing, even if he does get this funded thanks to the gullible and the stupid, how long does anyone think he'll manage to stay on his tiny little PBS affiliate? We all know what Harry's work ethic is like (for those joining us late the answer is 'practically non existent'), so how many missed deadlines or empty promises or pushed back episodes will it take before said affiliate pulls the plug?

The man can't even be bothered to maintain an amazon advertorial style DVD/Bluray column on a regular weekly basis. And remember, this is actually supposed to be his day job. Remember also, some folks paid for an app in order to read those very columns. So how much hope do you think there is on him following through on any of this stuff in a professional manner? Especially after he already has the money in hand.

There's a reason for all this backlash, people. It's because we know exactly who Harry is, and he is NOT someone you should be gifting 'fwee' money to. He won't use it well, or wisely. He won't suddenly start acting professionally and reliably. He won't deliver on his promises, or suddenly deliver some webseries of epic quality and scope. Hell piss it against the wall, one way or another, throw out a few hastily cobbled together episodes (at best), and then launch into the excuses why none of it is his fault, but how next time it will all be better, because now he has a plan. And then he'll ask for yet more free money. Because why fund something yourself or actually have to earn funding through legitimate sources through determination and hard work when he has suckers to take easy advantage of. And that is exactly how he views every single drat one of you who do contribute. Nothing but an easy meal-ticket.

Wake up people. Most of us aren't here sprouting this because we hate Harry and are on some kind of childish Jihad. We're here because we know Harry and his ego based shenanigans all too well, we know his past, the way he treats and uses and disposes of people, and we know just how badly this will end, and how blatantly dishonest this whole deal will undoubtedly turn out to be. Please don't waste your money supporting a person who would never lift even a single solitary finger to support any of you if you needed it.

If you have money to burn or give away, there are plenty of very deserving people, causes and projects. Harry Knowles isn't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I don't get why Peter Jackson still keeps enabling the guy. Even if he was someone CRUCIAL to the success of LOTR it seems like it'd be forgivable to toss someone like him aside.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

The funniest part of such criticisms is that they're practically quoting what the guy himself and his closest friends have actually admitted about his work habits and past projects. So the comments in defense of Harry Knowles are basically saying "Yeah, the money will be wasted. Yeah, he's lazy. But quit bumming us out because we don't care."

Man, I wish I had fans like that, who would throw money at me knowing full well that it'll get blown.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

i think the only argument you need is a picture of the guy.

How can you trust someone with a beard like that? He creeps me right the gently caress out.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I don't really know much about that guy except that he's hiding a bunch of fat behind that hair. I guess that's one way to do it...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Is there a Knowles schadenfreude thread in CD or something?

All I know about Knowles is that hr was fat disabled rear end in a top hat.

I feel like I'm missing something.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Death Himself posted:

I don't really know much about that guy except that he's hiding a bunch of fat behind that hair. I guess that's one way to do it...

A rare shot behind the beard:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How does a man's beard even grow like that

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Practice.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Toffile posted:

Is there a Knowles schadenfreude thread in CD or something?

All I know about Knowles is that hr was fat disabled rear end in a top hat.

His review of Blade 2 is a pretty succinct example of how terrible he is as a writer, a critic, a human being.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

WTF did I just read?

That's quite a neckbeard he's got going on there, in fact it may be the most neckbeardiest neckbeard ever grown.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

Watch his ‘HOUSE OF PAIN’ sequence in BLADE 2. BLADE 2 is the tongue, mouth, fingers and lips of a lover. The Audience is the clit.

:stonk:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jesus, he's like Goon-Prime.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Toffile posted:

It's 1996, while recovering from being crushed by a trolley at a convention, Knowles sets up a film gossip site, pulling his goss off Usenet and the brave PA who emailed nuggets.
This caught studios unaware, as they were still coming to terms with the Internet poking holes into their well crafted press machine.

Knowles was also reviewed bootleg workprints, that was married with his acidic and untamed prose that earned him a sort of bad-boy reputation, and attracted an audience of cynical movie goers who were glad to see films disseminated with blunt force and that someone stuck it to the studios.

Seeing they couldn't beat him, the studios decided to use his popularity as a marketing tool, so started lavishing set tours, press junkets and premiers in order to build up early positive buzz. Knowles can't say no to free candy.
He also seemed unable to realise the events he was invited to were pretty standard for most journos, so developed an ego to eclipse his weight as he assumed he was invited out of esteem.

Leap ahead to now and he's one of the few relics who survived the dot com crash, and has just enough momentum to keep going. The studios have adapted to the speed of information and Knowles and his team are relegated to spreading rumors like e-coli in the hopes they turn out to be true - which culminated in that fantastic Oscar gaffe.

His Blade II review was pretty much the beginning of the end. I dare you to find his musings on a character's superpowers from Heroes - it's that sickening that I'm not bothering to surmise it.
His reviews have steadily gotten more and more incoherent as he now just rants about something in his youth and faintly ties it into his Amazon "review" of the latest DVD's shoved through his letter box.

His Kickstarter attempts are little more than cries of desperation as he struggles to cope with realizing he has barely any sway as he once did.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm sure this has come up before, but I feel the need to say I have not seen a shittier looking website since Angelfire was a thing.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

quote:

we delve into hours of passionate discussion about[...]pussy...We can lose all track of time on planet Earth.
What?

quote:

I believe Guillermo Del Toro eats pussy better than any man alive.
WHAT?!

quote:

BLADE 2 was a teaser… It was just pussylicking…. HELLBOY is deep dicking!
:shepicide:

WebDog posted:

I dare you to find his musings on a character's superpowers from Heroes - it's that sickening that I'm not bothering to surmise it.

Is it the thing about the cheerleader's virginity? Is he that guy? Why are people giving him money?

Machai has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Sep 3, 2013

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Tom scrubbed the bowl one last time before placing the toilet brush back in its holder. Life had inundated him with lemons these past few weeks. This morning alone he had to take out the garbage, clean out the break room fridge, refill the water cooler, and fix the boss' PC. These little tasks on the side were starting to hurt his productivity on the things he was actually hired to do, and it slowly began to bother him. That new iPhone application his co-workers forced on him was the cause of all this; he could swear they were all ganging up on him. Tom washed his hands and made his way to the break room, to salvage what was left of his break. All of his co-workers had already left except for Robert, the 63 year old accountant. 'Did they get you again this time?' he said, a friendly smile on his face. 'Yeah. The fifth time today. I'm starting to think--' Tom was rudely interrupted by a familiar chime he had come to dread coming from his trousers. He fished the magic rectangle from his pocket and read his next assignment; to clean up the microwave oven. 'gently caress', he exclaimed loudly, and looked at the screen again. The challenge had been posted only seven seconds ago, and in that time frame all twenty of his colleagues had responded. 'Well, looks like you're "it" again' said Robert, as he made a dash for the door. 'Good luck with whatever it is you've got to do'. But before he could leave, Tom stopped him. 'Hold on a moment. This new challenge was only posted seconds ago. Why didn't your phone ring?' Robert turned around and smirked. 'Promise me you keep this a secret'. He reached for his briefcase, and from it he produced a massive plastic brick that must have been at least twenty years old. He quickly put it back and then left the room.

'What a strange game' thought Tom to himself as he placed his phone in the microwave oven and slammed the door shut. 'The only winning move is not to play'.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

WebDog posted:

which culminated in that fantastic Oscar gaffe.

Tried to google it with no luck - what was this?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Machai posted:

:shepicide:
Is it the thing about the cheerleader's virginity? Is he that guy? Why are people giving him money?
It's worse than I remember...it's utterly vile.

JDM3 posted:

The site claimed to have obtained the 2000 Oscar results from a hacker who "totally was legit" when questioned. They got every entry completely wrong. It turned out to be a ABC's staffer's personal wish list that was likely obtained from Kazaa sharing your My Documents folder by default. The "hacking" was greatly elaborated.

More here.
I'm just stunned he hasn't self destructed by now. His fanbase has largely turned on him and tend to stay around for his contributors, if only because they write coherently.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

JDM3 posted:

Wikipedia posted:

In early 2000, Knowles posted materials stolen from an ABC staffer's home computer, which Knowles took at face value to be the Oscar nominees for the Academy Awards—a day before the official announcement. When the actual nominees were announced the following day, it was discovered that his finalists in almost every category were incorrect. Knowles acknowledged his error when it became clear he was wrong, but then disclosed the IP address of the person whose computer had been hacked, compounding the error. The Academy considered suing Knowles for trademark and copyright infringement, but ultimately decided against it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cicadalek posted:

I'm sure this has come up before, but I feel the need to say I have not seen a shittier looking website since Angelfire was a thing.

I can't find any current links but SA did a parody of it ages ago that was pretty ridiculously spot on
http://web.archive.org/web/20031208010234/http://www.somethingawful.com/isnotitcoolnews/

None of the images seem to work though I suppose it spares you from having to watch an animated Harry Knowles felatting Hollywood dick

for what it's worth it was actually kinda funny in a hosed up way

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Machai posted:

i think the only argument you need is a picture of the guy.

How can you trust someone with a beard like that? He creeps me right the gently caress out.

Why bother at that point? The guy obviously does some shaving because I've never seen a single person capable of growing facial hair who didn't wind up with a fuzzy chin at some point. He's either trying to hide his fatchin or draw attention to it. Even though I have no understanding of the word grognard, this is the exact kind of guy that pops in to my head whenever I hear the word.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

He doesn't have a chin so he created one. :science:

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

Blast of Confetti posted:

Even though I have no understanding of the word grognard, this is the exact kind of guy that pops in to my head whenever I hear the word.

Grognard means "old soldier", so probably not. :hist101:

...however neckbeard internet war gamers have since appropriated the term for themselves so you're dead on target.:sigh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

JDM3 posted:

grognard /ĻĀʁɔ.ɲaʁ/
1.Personne qui grogne.

Literally "One who whines / moans / makes his discontentment known". The "Old soldier" translation is an historical usage; it was the nickname for Napoleon's old guard. Soldiers like to bitch and all that.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

JDM3 posted:

...however neckbeard internet war gamers have since appropriated the term for themselves so you're dead on target.:sigh:

It's very strange. I saw this word used for the first time ever and then saw it loving everywhere. That and ludonarrative. I don't watch gaming stuff or read many articles or anything so I have no idea what launched this poo poo into the greater gamer consciousness but it's very strange to see people, all at once, adopt something and start using it like they've been saying it forever. Like I've read the games forum for years and years now (the threads) and those two words just came out of loving nowhere and started showing up everywhere.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Grognards is an old rear end term. Wargamers have been calling themselves grognards for probably 30-40 years. Just with a quick search I found a wargaming FTP archive from the early 90s called Grognard, and an article attributing the the term to a 1970s wargaming magazine.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Pay me $138,000 so I can make a documentary about the dates I go on. She'll also use that money to launch a website. For $2819 she'll send you a video of her pole dancing.

I glued pictures of tanks and airplanes on a sheet of cardboard, which you can then shoot with your airsoft gun. This guy only needs &1200, which he will use to hire an artist because the pictures he uses now are copyrighted placeholders.

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Grognards is an old rear end term. Wargamers have been calling themselves grognards for probably 30-40 years. Just with a quick search I found a wargaming FTP archive from the early 90s called Grognard, and an article attributing the the term to a 1970s wargaming magazine.

Oh I don't doubt that but within this community it went from me never seeing that word once for years and years (I'm sure someone used it but it was rare enough that I didn't see it even though I read this forum A LOT) to seeing it all the motherfucking time. Just interesting to watch words enter the collective lexicon suddenly like that.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Zybourne Clock posted:

Pay me $138,000 so I can make a documentary about the dates I go on. She'll also use that money to launch a website. For $2819 she'll send you a video of her pole dancing.

She should have obviously gone the opposite route and made this an expose into the misogynist world of dating if she wanted money.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Noni posted:

A rare shot behind the beard:

Ooooooohhh I thought Harry Knowles was the guy who does Red Letter Media; I was kinda taken aback by everything I read about him all over the internet. Thanks for clearing that up.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Madcosby posted:

Ooooooohhh I thought Harry Knowles was the guy who does Red Letter Media; I was kinda taken aback by everything I read about him all over the internet. Thanks for clearing that up.

I could see where you'd get confused.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Huh, I just saw Red_Mage has a kickstarter related custom title of shame and been off the forums since then, anyone know what's up with that? I feel like I missed out on a :goonproject: shitstorm.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Someone is capitalizing on Breaking Bad, what else is new:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1822630877/escape-from-new-ork-city

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

MVP posted:

Someone is capitalizing on Breaking Bad, what else is new:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1822630877/escape-from-new-ork-city

I don't know about breaking bad, but let's play Count the IP Violations:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

I don't know about breaking bad, but let's play Count the IP Violations:

I count Raiden (?), Goku, Hamlet (?!?), Legolas, The Pyro, John Marston (?), The Heavy Weapons Guy, The G-Man, Kingpin, and what I'm pretty sure is a 40K Necron.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

DStecks posted:

I count Raiden (?), Goku, Hamlet (?!?), Legolas, The Pyro, John Marston (?), The Heavy Weapons Guy, The G-Man, Kingpin, and what I'm pretty sure is a 40K Necron.

Grey Fox in the top left, and I think that might be Volgin in the bottom right.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DStecks posted:

#1 is Gray Fox, #3 is Geno, and I think the very last one is supposed to be Colonel Volgin.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Don't forget Geno and Moltar. :suicide:

Edit: Beaten on Geno. Why is he so muscle-y though, Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandit Queen
May 10, 2008

DStecks posted:

I also see The Spy next to the Pyro and Phoenix Wight.