Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

nwin posted:

HALP!

I'm making this for my wife's Bday dinner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cAFkYm3u1Q

Anyways, two questions. He says his vinagrette consists of 'olive oil, water, lemon juice, salt/pepper.' Any idea on the ratios/how to prepare?

Second question: For the roasted tomatoes, he puts them in the oven with the pilot light on overnight, and then seasons them. I don't have a gas stove, only electric. What can I do to emulate this?

Thanks!

Vinaigrette is typically 3:1 oil to vinegar. If you actually watch the video and listen to him, he even states why he adds water. It lightens the vinaigrette up and isn't as cloying when you coat the ingredients. When you use good potatoes and good lump crab, why overpower it with a large amount of oil and acid? It should compliment not impose itself.

For his tomato method, the longer and lower you cook them, the chewier and jammier they get. When you roast them fast and high they are still delicious, but they tend to get sludgy and moist with skins that come off and get stuck in your teeth. Thy also cook too quickly to get those subtle flavors going. Roast em at like 250F for like 2 hours, or until they get kinda tacky to the touch and get those really nice caramelized flavors going on.

Nicol Bolas posted:

For the vinaigrette: I have no idea why he has water in there. It might help to reduce the acidity of the dressing, I guess, but the point of a lemon vinaigrette is the acidity. Since you're dressing potatoes and salmon and not greens, I would say the ratio is probably something like 1 tbsp of lemon juice to a quarter cup of oil and salt and pepper to taste, but since it's a dressing you can adjust it til it's to your liking, just like any other sauce. Prep it by whisking it in a bowl or shaking it in a container and dunk a piece of potato in it. If it's too acidic, add more oil (or water, if you really want). If it's not acidic enough, add more lemon juice. If it needs salt and pepper, add salt and pepper.

His tomato method I don't understand at all, but I guess that works if you're using cherry tomatoes. Here's a recipe for oven-roasted tomatoes that works with larger ones which might be a good starting place? Cherry tomatoes will definitely take less time than plum tomatoes, though.

Did you even listen or watch the video? He justifies why he adds water to the vinaigrette. Also, when I use lemon vin, I don't always want a lot of acid, I just want the brightness and light character you get from lemon that you don't get otherwise. Adding water allows you to get that light note associated with fresh lemon instead of the funkier acid notes from vinegars.

His method works fine for any tomato, you just need to let em cook longer (or cut em smaller) when using larger tomatoes.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
What a coincidence, I looked up this video three days ago myself, as I remembered it from months ago. I made this potato dish last night too, though not with the salmon, but I was sick of mashed potato with butter, so just did the potatoes this way for a change with some other meat.

I used the juice of a lemon, the last bit of my best fruity EVOO (about 1/4 cup), and about 1/8cup water or less just to help mix them all up and lighten the flavour. Worked good with the potatoes, not heavy and oily, and only a hint of lemon in there that worked well with the spring onions.
I didn't use the whole mixture of course, it's still in the fridge, I only used about 3T

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!
Is there a good cookware thread/FAQ sitting around somewhere that anyone would suggest? I'm ready to splurge a bit on a good set (or are single items better?) but am entirely unsure of where to start. If it helps, my budget is about ~$300.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Shuu posted:

Is there a good cookware thread/FAQ sitting around somewhere that anyone would suggest? I'm ready to splurge a bit on a good set (or are single items better?) but am entirely unsure of where to start. If it helps, my budget is about ~$300.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440

(some of the recommendations are outdated)

You can get the Cuisinart MCP-12 with metal lids
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP...uisinart+mcp-12

Or this glass lids variant which has adds a 12 inch skillet but has one less saucepan
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-Pro...multiclad+glass

There is also this 8 piece Calphalon tri-ply set for $300
http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Tri...lphalon+tri-ply

Also this Tramontina 12 piece set
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-12-Piece-Tri-Ply-Clad-Cookware-Set-Stainless-Steel/22984416

They also have a 10 piece set for $200
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-Tri-Ply-Clad-Cookware-Set-Stainless-Steel/22984414

I would personally put priority on having a 12 inch skillet

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 2, 2013

Shuu
Aug 19, 2005

Wow!

Thank you! I think the Tramontina set was actually one I was trying to remember from some Walmart cookware vs brand-name cookware article awhile back.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

I'm getting confused about cooking rump steak - half of The Internet tells me to just cook it like any cut of steak (pan fry from room temperature, oil the steak etc. etc.) and the other half says that rump steak is too tough to cook like that and needs either marinading or long cooking.

Any thoughts?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
The difference in information that you're finding is because in the UK, Australia and France a Rump steak is cut from the end of the Sirloin area of the cow. It's one of the best tasting steaks there is and cooks beautifully. However, in the US, the Rump is generally a Roasting joint from the Round, which is the hindquarters of the animal (in the UK it's where the Silverside and Topside roasting joints are cut from) and the meat there is tougher and needs slower cooking. So if you have a slice from a Rump Roast, it's not going to cook well as a steak.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

How long would cooked quinoa stay good in the fridge? I made a bigger batch that I wanted to split up for lunches for the next week. Will it stay good for 4-5 days or should I freeze half of it? It has kale and beans mixed into it if that makes any difference.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
Is there such thing as a sort of method book for cooking? Ideally it would be a book or website that goes through all kinds of techniques and preferably lays them out with weekly goals and assignments. This would be for someone who is a good cook but would like to learn much more but who doesn't plan on quitting their day job necessarily (so going to school or working in a kitchen are not options).

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't have buttermilk, so I made the fake kind with 1 tbsp vinegar and just about 1 cup of milk. The marinade I am using it in also calls for a tablespoon of lime juice and hot sauce. Since I already used vinegar in the milk, was adding the lime juice too much for it? it's slightly grainy/curdled but still 99% liquid, and tastes slightly acidic, but the color and taste is otherwise fine. I've made enough shots with baileys in my time to know what happened, but would using real buttermilk have made much of a difference?

Edit: The fish tacos I used the marinade for came out amazing, best thing I've made since I started cooking for myself this past week, so it must not have mattered much.

Syjefroi posted:

Is there such thing as a sort of method book for cooking? Ideally it would be a book or website that goes through all kinds of techniques and preferably lays them out with weekly goals and assignments. This would be for someone who is a good cook but would like to learn much more but who doesn't plan on quitting their day job necessarily (so going to school or working in a kitchen are not options).

I've heard nothing but good things about Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here For The Food", and Amazon explains it better than I could:

"...Equal parts Jacques Pépin and Mr. Science, with a dash of MacGyver, Brown goes to great lengths to get the most out of his ingredients and tools to discover the right cooking method for the dish at hand. With his debut cookbook, I'm Just Here for the Food, Brown explores the foundation of cooking: heat. From searing and roasting to braising, frying, and boiling, he covers the spectrum of cooking techniques, stopping along the way to explain the science behind it all, often adding a pun and recipe or two (usually combined, as with Miller Thyme Trout).

I'm Just Here for the Food is chock-full of information, but Brown teaches the science of cooking with a soft touch, adding humor even to the book's illustrations..."

It could be right up your alley, being approachable and entertaining while also learning more about various cooking methods and the ways ingredients interact.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 3, 2013

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Dacap posted:

How long would cooked quinoa stay good in the fridge? I made a bigger batch that I wanted to split up for lunches for the next week. Will it stay good for 4-5 days or should I freeze half of it? It has kale and beans mixed into it if that makes any difference.

Quinoa plain is definitely good for 4-5 days, probably even a week. With the kale and beans you'll probably just want to see how it looks, chances are your kale will get a little or a lot mushy after that long.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
I bought a few rabbit legs, any suggestions for what to do with them?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jenkin posted:

I bought a few rabbit legs, any suggestions for what to do with them?

anything from this guy

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I have some quinoa in my pantry that I am excited about but have no application for. Does anyone have a favorite quinoa recipe? I know there are recipes all over the place out there but I want to get a goon-approved one.

Also, can you cook this stuff in a rice cooker or no?

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Quinoa, diced leftover cold roast pumpkin, wilted baby spinach leaves, goat's milk cheese, etc etc. Goddamn delicious with a squeeze of lemon juice and olive oil.

It's also great as a rice substitute in coconut rice pudding.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Syjefroi posted:

You might take a look at The Professional Chef from the Culinary Institute of America. It's not really a method book (if you're talking about method books used in music), but it is a textbook intended to teach all the fundamentals of cooking starting from more or less square one. It's very much aimed at teaching skills required for working in industry and not all of it will be of interest to the home cook, but it does cover poo poo like fabricating a chicken, the mother sauces, and that kind of thing.

All of the recipes it gives are scaled for a professional kitchen, and they're on the bland side, but it's pretty good as a start-from-scratch introduction to all the basic skills.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Fabricating a chicken? That probably doesn't mean what it sounds like it means.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

tarepanda posted:

Fabricating a chicken? That probably doesn't mean what it sounds like it means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcxzUU_N6-I

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I need a recipe. We were going to eat out for a birthday meal but the timings just didn't work out, but they did for a meal at home. Unfortunately my family is a mess of picky eaters.

I'd like to have something for once which isn't just meat and starch, something a bit more imaginative/exciting. It would be for 8 people.

It can't involve;

Fish
Venison
Lamb
Cheese
Visibly sized Red Pepper
Visibly sized Onion

Most things I can think of (and really enjoy) involve one or more of these. Any help would be appreciated.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Juice Box Hero posted:

Also, can you cook this stuff in a rice cooker or no?
3 rice cooker cups of quinoa, fill to 4 cup line. Set to cook on white rice setting.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

twoot posted:

I need a recipe. We were going to eat out for a birthday meal but the timings just didn't work out, but they did for a meal at home. Unfortunately my family is a mess of picky eaters.

I'd like to have something for once which isn't just meat and starch, something a bit more imaginative/exciting. It would be for 8 people.

It can't involve;

Fish
Venison
Lamb
Cheese
Visibly sized Red Pepper
Visibly sized Onion

Most things I can think of (and really enjoy) involve one or more of these. Any help would be appreciated.

I made some really good braised short ribs with sticky rice recently, but I'm on a huge sticky rice kick and think everyone should make it. If you don't have time to braise short ribs (in coconut milk) then you could also make bulgogi to go with the sticky rice instead. But if your eaters are too picky to like Korean food, that might not work.

Is the cheese thing an allergy thing or a texture thing or something else? I only ask because risotto is a great and easy way to feed 8, won't offend picky eaters with unfamiliar flavors--you can throw in basically any flavors you want--but the parmesan is kind of essential. You could maybe replace it with nutritive yeast but I haven't tried that. Risotto doesn't have the texture of cheese or a huge amount of cheese flavor, though, so if it's just a texture / flavor thing that might work out? Might not be worth it, though.

What about making dumplings with various fillings? You could produce all sorts of different dumplings (pork and cabbage dumplings, edamame dumplings, vegetable dumplings, spring rolls which are not dumplings but are similar) and make a bunch of different dipping sauces so your family has a selection of different things to try. If someone doesn't like one dumpling, there's four other things for them to try, and you can put basically anything inside of a dumpling wrapper. But the issue there is that it's a lot of work for you.

You could also make something super-simple and vegetable-based like ratatouille, or eggplant parm, or even just homemade pasta with some kind of exciting sauce.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 3, 2013

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

twoot posted:

It can't involve;

Fish
Venison
Lamb
Cheese
Visibly sized Red Pepper
Visibly sized Onion

If you have the space and a chafing dish/slow cooker you could do a taco/burrito bar. Keep some seasoned ground beef warming, have some flour tortillas and some shells, put out toppings (onions, tomatoes, cheese, salsa, guac, etc.) so everyone can just put on whatever they like. It's not classy, but it does please most people.

Another option is to do a family style Italian meal. Big bowl of pasta with a fresh made marinara sauce, salad, fresh baked (garlic) bread.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
We have some beets and I was thinking I could quick pickle them and have them with bean burgers sometime this week. What's the best way to do that? And also, would it even taste good? I've never even eaten a beet before.

What else could I do with them? Roast them I guess?

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
A few weeks-months back someone posted this Sangria recipe in this thread that was just great. I'd love to make it again, but I can't seem to find it in the thread. I think I remember specific amounts the recipe called for if that helps, 1 oz simple syrup, 1 750ml bottle of red wine. It was sooo good - any help from someone who has plat? :allears:

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

fat saving question!

People talk about saving duck and lamb fat. I need more specifics.

Are you supposed to sieve/strain out the pepper, spices, and herbs that invariably fall in?

Do you save all the drippings, make it cold, and scoop out the fat into a new container? I assume you can freeze it. Is there a max time?

If you wanted to make french fries in duck fat, does all the cooking oil need to be fat to give it the flavor?

Is there any time you would not suggest saving duck or lamb fat, say you cooked with a specific spice?

Thank you~

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

squigadoo posted:

fat saving question!

People talk about saving duck and lamb fat. I need more specifics.

Are you supposed to sieve/strain out the pepper, spices, and herbs that invariably fall in?

Do you save all the drippings, make it cold, and scoop out the fat into a new container? I assume you can freeze it. Is there a max time?

If you wanted to make french fries in duck fat, does all the cooking oil need to be fat to give it the flavor?

Is there any time you would not suggest saving duck or lamb fat, say you cooked with a specific spice?

Thank you~

You could always try putting the drippings in the fridge and let them solidify, that should get most of the flavoring out of it and separate it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Are some oils better than others when it comes to frying? I tried making fried chicken a couple times recently and the batch I made with vegetable oil tasted better than the one where I used olive oil. I'm not sure if I fouled up the breading, or if I had higher quality chicken on the veg oil night, or if the type of oil makes that much of a difference.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Did you use extra virgin olive oil

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

slingshot effect posted:

Quinoa, diced leftover cold roast pumpkin, wilted baby spinach leaves, goat's milk cheese, etc etc. Goddamn delicious with a squeeze of lemon juice and olive oil.

drat that sounds good. I am going to make that tomorrow for dinner.

dino. posted:

3 rice cooker cups of quinoa, fill to 4 cup line. Set to cook on white rice setting.

Thanks!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Are some oils better than others when it comes to frying? I tried making fried chicken a couple times recently and the batch I made with vegetable oil tasted better than the one where I used olive oil. I'm not sure if I fouled up the breading, or if I had higher quality chicken on the veg oil night, or if the type of oil makes that much of a difference.

Definitely yes. Olive oil has a fairly strong flavor, and if it isn't "light" it's not great for deep-frying, due to its smoke point. The gold standard for deep fat frying is peanut oil, I believe, though vegetable oil is more common. I really hate the flavor of vegetable oil (particularly when it's not super fresh, it takes on all sorts of weird gross flavors very quickly in my opinion) so I go for corn oil instead.

I don't know about this website is a whole but the shortlist of deep-frying oils is pretty solid and has some details for you.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 4, 2013

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Can I brine and rinse chicken prior to vacuum sealing for long-term storage? If so, how long of a brine at what concentration would be optimal? Talking boneless breasts and thighs here

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I wouldn't, if you're not freezing the chicken you're essentially curing it by packing it in salt for a long time.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I've got some raw frozen chicken thighs I was going to make into a curry. Can I re-freeze the cooked curry, or will the chicken get all weird?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Cuddlebottom posted:

I've got some raw frozen chicken thighs I was going to make into a curry. Can I re-freeze the cooked curry, or will the chicken get all weird?

I've done it before, and it's fine as long as the chicken is covered with liquid. You could just freeze the curry sauce by itself if you wanted.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How long does cooked chicken breast keep fresh in the fridge for?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Nicol Bolas posted:

Is the cheese thing an allergy thing or a texture thing or something else?

Its my grandfather. His grandmother was really weird about cheese and believed that it made you ill, so he never got to try it as a child, so as an adult he decided that he doesn't like any type of cheese. He is 80 now so its unlikely that he is going to change his mind. But he will eat desserts with cream cheese. Whatever.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I asked people what they would like and I've settled on doing two things one of which will satisfy someone. I'm going to be making a Moussaka, some kind of Mediterranean style roast chicken, and some Garlic bread from scratch.

I've made ultra-rich chocolate cake for the past couple of birthdays so I'm thinking of something different. Maybe a carrot cake.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

bowmore posted:

How long does cooked chicken breast keep fresh in the fridge for?

Haven't you said before that you're a cook in a commercial kitchen?

Cuddlebottom posted:

Yeah, it's freezable.
Of course won't be exactly the same after it's thawed, but will still be OK to reheat and eat.
Only things that I regularly cook that I will not freeze and thaw are potatoes, yogurt and lite cream/sour cream. If it doesn't have them in it it's OK to cook and freeze for later eats.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 4, 2013

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

twoot posted:

Its my grandfather. His grandmother was really weird about cheese and believed that it made you ill, so he never got to try it as a child, so as an adult he decided that he doesn't like any type of cheese. He is 80 now so its unlikely that he is going to change his mind. But he will eat desserts with cream cheese. Whatever.

:psyduck: I'm pretty sure not giving children cheese is illegal in Wisconsin.

:negative: no cheese, man what a life.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Some friends and I are planning to create a shooter sandwich this weekend for fun.

It's silly and kind of dumb but I still want it to taste good and have some fun doing it with friends.

Here the ingredients I was thinking about going with for the filling with some questions attached:

Ribeye - Maybe 2 cooked to medium rare. A lot of these sandwich uses a steak but it may be too tough - thoughts?

Bacon - Bacon weaved to get the most bacon per bite.

Sausages - Not sure what kind of sausage yet. Should we cook it and leave it whole or cook it and slice it? I imagine slicing it would get a good even distribution of the sausages.

Mushrooms + Garlic - I'm thinking about chopping it and sauteing it.

Cheese - Possibly Mozzarella? I don't want a greasy sandwich so Mozzarella seems like a safe low oil bet to keep the grease level down. I don't know my cheeses too well though, any suggestions?

Mayo + Bacon Grease - We'll just mix mayo with the bacon grease to taste.

Onions - Caramelized in a crock pot prior to adding.

Spinach - I'm thinking we pack it in raw. I thought about sauteing them but I'm afraid the moisture would get the sandwich pretty soaked.

This is what I'm thinking when it comes to layering the sandwich. Starting from top to bottom:

Bacon Mayo
Bacon
Onion
Cheese
Sausages
Mushroom + Garlic
Rib-eyes
Spinach
Bacon Mayo

Any suggestions/tips/additions/complaints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So you don't want a greasy sandwich but you're gonna mix bacon grease with mayo and slather it on the top and bottom?

Also mozzarella is gonna be overpowered by your other flavors. I would do a more pungent cheese. Also, mustard.