Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chunkles posted:

Cool, thanks. It doesn't have to be on crunchyroll.

Oh, now you tell me. :v:

Well, have you checked out the usual Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, etc yet? Those ought to be good places to start. And have you watched the Gurren Lagann movies yet? They've got some extra bits/changed scenes that I think you might enjoy if you like EVEN MORE RIDICULOUS THAN GL stuff. Tiger and Bunny is about corporate superheroes and is completely awesome in almost every way. One of the best shows of the last five years.

I'd also suggest watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes like the thread title suggests, and Rahxephon, which is like a slightly happier Evangelion. Hell, Neon Genesis Evangelion, why not. It's got fanservice, but it's also got a ton of completely insane action, drama, philosophical and frankly downright iconic stuff in it. Plus then once you finish the series, you can watch the movies, of which there's End of Evangelion and Rebuilds 1-3(with 4 coming Sometime), some of which are crazy good, some of which are crazy controversial, and some of which are just crazy.

Gunbuster and Diebuster are two shows made by Gainax and influenced a lot of mecha series as well as Gunbuster being the studio's first major release. A lot of what you see in Gurren Lagann is either directly taken from or at least influenced by Gunbuster. Diebuster is it's own thing but also very good.

edit: if you want Gurren Lagann-levels of absurdity, look up a commentary-less playthrough of Asura's Wrath. Skip the in-game stuff and watch the cutscenes. poo poo's completely bananas and I'm so glad I bought it. There's a scene where a guy becomes a gigantic buddha larger than Earth itself and tries to poke Asura to death with his continent-sized finger. This is also the first post-prologue boss. Yep.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Check out Jojo's Bizarre Adventure because it's really drat good. You might also want to give Black Lagoon and Tiger & Bunny a shot!

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

chunkles posted:

(or completely over the top like Lagann but don't half rear end it)

Jump on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Ridiculous fabulous men having ridiculous fabulous fights, everything is over exaggerated and exciting.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, now you tell me. :v:

It was in my first post :cmon:

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, have you checked out the usual Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, etc yet? Those ought to be good places to start. And have you watched the Gurren Lagann movies yet? They've got some extra bits/changed scenes that I think you might enjoy if you like EVEN MORE RIDICULOUS THAN GL stuff.

Oh yeah I've seen Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo also, love those. I think that pretty much covers every anime I've seen. I didn't realize there were movies, I'll check them out.

--

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I was gonna give the obligatory GiTS recommendation, but beaten. Both seasons of GiTS is on Hulu though as well as Solid State Society. Psycho-pass and Darker than Black also might be up your alley.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

chunkles posted:

Definitely I'd be interested in any of that. I guess I mean not laying it on too thick with the fan service (is that the term I'm looking for?) stuff.

e: I also generally prefer speculative fiction type stuff (sci fi, fantasy, etc) but am open to anything.

There's a page just for people like you on the ADTRW Wiki.

For sci-fi/speculative stuff I'd recommend Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Time of Eve. You might also be interested in Kaiba.

Other really good anime you probably haven't watched: Madoka Magica (available on crunchyroll) and The Tatami Galaxy

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I have never really been a huge consumer of anime, but i have watched a few select shows over the years. But i am looking for something more.

I have watched/are watching and loved:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, FMA Brotherhood, Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun (a long time ago), Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Rurorni Kenshin

I did however enjoy, Gurren Lagann due to the insanity, but at the end i was getting turned off by how cliche i felt it was getting. Most of the Gundam stuff bores me to absolute tears due to how boring/cliche i find it is. I really didn't like Black Lagoon (i don't know why i just couldn't get into it).

I am really liking Attack on Titan, due to the combination of being both a serious story, with a fair amount of intrigue. I like the dark serious fantasy stories.

Anyone have any suggestions?

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 4, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

UberJumper posted:

I am really liking Attack on Titan, due to the combination of being both a serious story, with a fair amount of intrigue. I like the dark serious stories.

Madoka Magica, Kara no Kyoukai, Paranoia Agent, Monster, Devilman (watch the first two OVAs from the late 80s/early 90s then read the manga), and Devilman Lady are all good options.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

UberJumper posted:

I have watched/are watching and loved:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, FMA Brotherhood, Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun (a long time ago), Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Rurorni Kenshin

I am really liking Attack on Titan, due to the combination of being both a serious story, with a fair amount of intrigue. I like the dark serious stories.

If you loved Rurouni Kenshin, you should definitely watch (or read) Busou Renkin. I mention it more because I have a soft spot for it and because nobody else is likely to than because it's some kind of masterpiece, but I think it has better character development than a lot of shonen from its era.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

jonjonaug posted:

Madoka Magica

Uhhh that looks like sailor moon 2.0.

jonjonaug posted:

Kara no Kyoukai, Paranoia Agent

I tried watching both of these in the past, and while it was interesting (especially paranoia agent) it just didn't interest me.

Sorry i should be more specific i am looking for something more fantasy/sci-fi-ish.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Trust me, it's anything but.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jonjonaug posted:

Time of Eve

By far the best thing on Crunchyroll, watch it now.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

:rolleye: I think you two might be forgetting how great Sailor Moon is. Madoka is the dark parts of that show amped up to horror genre levels, which is awesome but not like some totally different genre.

But yea, Madoka is worth a try even if you've never liked magical girl shows.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 4, 2013

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

UberJumper posted:

Yeah I wonder if we're being hazed with that suggestion. :v: Sounds like it gets pretty dark though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Check out this anime called School Days.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Alright i will watch the first episode, if it is Sailor Moon 2.0 :commissar:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

chunkles posted:

Yeah I wonder if we're being hazed with that suggestion. :v: Sounds like it gets pretty dark though.

You're neither being hazed, nor incorrect. Madoka is a great show, it's about struggle and despair, but it also most definitely is Sailor Moon 2.0: Seinen Edition.

The error y'all made is thinking that Sailor Moon 2.0 is a bad thing to be.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

School days rules but try are just loving with you man it's not your bag.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

chunkles posted:

You're not. There's a reason it was the most talked about anime on ADTRW and pretty much everywhere else that talks about anime since Gurren Lagann aired (the reason is it's really good).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ain't nothing wrong with some Sailor Moon :colbert:

That said, Madoka is both good and fairly dark tonally so you should totally watch it.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Check out this anime called School Days.

School Days owns. Only kind of ironically.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

chunkles posted:

You might not end up liking it all that much, but it was my pick for best anime of 2011. It's worth the three episode (and I do mean, all the way to the end of the third episode) test at least.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I didn't get Madoka at all when I first watched it as an anime novice and I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't get it. Maybe I would've liked it better if I had watched Sailor Moon.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

^^^ Madoka's neat if you don't mind different genres, and maybe have a bit of knowledge since it kinda plays with expectations. I always hated sailor moon but it's one of those staples of the genre so it works as a good point counter point.

I think it a horrible recommendation for someone fresh to anime; despite it being 'dark' it's a bunch of little girls running around with magical powers and incredibly stylized visuals. In terms of stuff you'd be comfortable other people knowing you watched who aren't into anime it's pretty loving wacky.

More seinen-y, adult oriented stuff where the characters ARE adults is probably a much better bet. Darker than black, cowboy bebop, black lagoon, even trigun with how silly it is presents a better face and is something that normal human being can relate to.

Also Galactic Heroes.

jonjonaug posted:

You're not. There's a reason it was the most talked about anime on ADTRW and pretty much everywhere else that talks about anime since Gurren Lagann aired (the reason is it's really good).

It's good, but I totally understand why it might seem like some bullshit to someone who doesn't like anime that much.

If you wanna see something fairly dark it's a good rec, but if you wanna watch something that if someone walks in they wont think you are a fruit from a random 10 second.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 4, 2013

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
My problem with stuff like Sailor moon is that while yes it can be serious. The whole 13 year old school girls in miniskirts going through some awful stuff to save the world just kind of puts me off it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

UberJumper posted:

My problem with stuff like Sailor moon is that while yes it can be serious. The whole 13 year old school girls in miniskirts going through some awful stuff to save the world just kind of puts me off it.

If little girls going through awful poo poo(and lets be clear, not rapey; mostly violent / psychological) Madoka absolutely isn't for you.

I don't think you should bother personally.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

DamnGlitch posted:

More seinen-y, adult oriented stuff where the characters ARE adults is probably a much better bet. Darker than black, cowboy bebop, black lagoon, even trigun with how silly it is presents a better face and is something that normal human being can relate to.

Also Galactic Heroes.

Speaking of this sort of thing: its pacing is pretty slow, but I'm still super into Space Brothers. The characters are adults that actually feel like adults (aside from a couple dumb moments like trained astronauts waiting to see who the first to take off their helmet inside the moon van will be), and its optimism and positivism are wonderful.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I really liked space bros but when I perceived it would be ongoing for like, a long time and I was caught up with current releases i wasn't able to keep my optimism up for it.

I think I made it to about 45.

I love anime for telling a story for an arc, and ending, so longer shounen and other shows get a bit lost on me. Also why I only follow one ongoing manga ATM (Vinland Saga).

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

DamnGlitch posted:

^^^ Madoka's neat if you don't mind different genres, and maybe have a bit of knowledge since it kinda plays with expectations. I always hated sailor moon but it's one of those staples of the genre so it works as a good point counter point.

I think it a horrible recommendation for someone fresh to anime; despite it being 'dark' it's a bunch of little girls running around with magical powers and incredibly stylized visuals. In terms of stuff you'd be comfortable other people knowing you watched who aren't into anime it's pretty loving wacky.

Also Galactic Heroes.

It's good, but I totally understand why it might seem like some bullshit to someone who doesn't like anime that much.

If you wanna see something fairly dark it's a good rec, but if you wanna watch something that if someone walks in they wont think you are a fruit from a random 10 second.

Yeah, i am really not sure about the show and i am almost done the first episode. Some of it was cool, but a fair amount of it was just not really for me and i felt like turning it off at several points. I can see this being a great show, but the whole 13 year old school girl aspect, just doesn't work for me and is completely off putting.

Honestly Legend of Galactic heroes was probably the best anime i have ever seen. Soley because it felt mature and kind of avoided a ton of the anime tropes crap.

I just feel when the main characters have barely hit puberty, and are defending the world from some sort of catalysmic evil in something that seems to be designed for fan service. It just doesn't really work for me.

I saw LoGH, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun. I wasn't a fan of Black Lagoon for some reason, but i think i might give it another shot. I will give darker than black a shot soon tho.

*EDIT* My friend recommended me Fate/Zero, Code Geoss, and Battleship Yamati. Any opinions on them?

*EDIT2* :wtc: the ending of the first episode. Am i on acid?

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 4, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

UberJumper posted:

*EDIT* My friend recommended me Fate/Zero, Code Geoss, and Battleship Yamati. Any opinions on them?
Fate/Zero is pretty good (actually written by the same author as Madoka) about a group of wizards who fight a battle royale while summoning famous heroes of the past. Great production values, extremely dark, good action. Cons would be that since it is technically a prequel, you will inevitably hit the wall of "Do I need to read Fate/stay night first?" and will receive a million different responses. In a vacuum it is still a good show, but be aware there is a metaverse of many other works that fit into it.

Code Geass is a pretty fun spin on the traditional Sunrise mecha show, though it devolves into a train wreck by the end. Mostly in an entertaining way.

quote:

No, you just watched a SHAFT anime.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I, uh, just got around to reading Qualia the Purple. Uh, I...think...thinking is hard, brain hurt...I think...people should read it. It goes in a lot of directions that you wouldn't expect. It starts out with a girl who can only see every living thing as robots and from there it broke my brain with quantum physics and gets exponentially more incredible with each passing chapter.

I need to lie down.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Yamato's a pretty enjoyable reboot outside of the female outfits being skintight jumpsuits. Great music, looks nice, nothing unconventional but it's entertaining.

Just going to reiterate that people should give Tiger & Bunny a shot if they haven't seen it. Easily the best super hero anime I've seen.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

Fate/Zero is pretty good (actually written by the same author as Madoka) about a group of wizards who fight a battle royale while summoning famous heroes of the past. Great production values, extremely dark, good action. Cons would be that since it is technically a prequel, you will inevitably hit the wall of "Do I need to read Fate/stay night first?" and will receive a million different responses. In a vacuum it is still a good show, but be aware there is a metaverse of many other works that fit into it.

UberJumper posted:

Fate/Zero has some amazing animation, especially in the first half, and aren't or don't seem like they are young. It's very entertaining and exhilarating. It's quite good, and works fine without the VN. You really don't need it, though it is always there if you crave more.

Code Geass is great. I love both seasons, but there are two things to know about it: if you are bothered by fan service, don't bother. I am one of the few who don't wax poetic about how something would be better without gainax bounces and clam shots and whatever, but if that hurts you enjoyment of a series it might be too much for you. It is VERY anime and very twisty. Your tastes will dictate if you enjoy that or not. Like most shows I'd recomment watching 3 eps to get a feel beyond the first ep if you'll like it or not. If it doesn't click feel free to bail.

I've never seen Battleship Yamato so I can't comment specifically but if they are referring to the original it's a very old space opera sort of seed of the genre show. It will probably be light on modern tropes (fan service, wacky harem hijinks, moe bullshit) but full of old school ones. But, again, not having seen it I can't say for sure.

UberJumper posted:

It gets weirder, which is why people like it. It is brutal and is basically a 'what if the stakes actually meant something in magical girl anime'

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Just going to reiterate that people should give Tiger & Bunny a shot if they haven't seen it. Easily the best super hero anime I've seen.

T&B is a great show, and I think is a really good bridge for people into comic books but not anime. It has a very western feel (and takes place in metropolis, bascially).

Do not be put off by the name; the titualar characters are two grown men who are forced to team up as sponsored super heroes. It has nearly no fan service and its really just a good fun lark, with a bit of serious plot and interesting twists in the wings the drop in. Also probably the best xmen series out there.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 4, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey Uberjumper and Chunkles, follow this link and the directions in the first paragraph of the OP. Trust me.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If he's talking about the most recent series (Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199) It's pretty decent. I'm a huge fan of Space Battleship Yamato, it's worth watching if you're into the foundations of that genre in Japan or if you watch/read a lot of Comedy anime/manga (because much like Ashita No Joe and Harlock, it's referenced a lot due to it's inclusion in Manga's original golden age).

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

UberJumper posted:

The monster and "witch world" designs for the show were done by Gekidan Inu Curry, a pair of animators who usually do weird OP/ED stuff or music videos. The Witches and their Familiars have some really great designs, it's one of my favorite aspects of the show.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 4, 2013

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

So I just finished watching the first four episodes of Madoka Magica and uh :stonkhat: It is pretty odd, and I wouldn't have watched the first episode if you guys hadn't been so insistent, but I like it.

Thanks again for the recommendations, looks like I have quite the backlog to go through now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I finally finished Big O, after stalling on the second-to-last episode for a while, for some reason.

Now I'm sad there aren't going to be any more Roger / Dorothy interactions, because pretty much every word that comes out of her mouth is comedy gold. So recommend me shows whose protagonists show similarly dry wit. They don't have to be couples, but it doesn't hurt.

I've already seen both *gatari series; they're sorta-kinda good examples except that being more clever than Shichika is like beating up a guy with no arms and Araragi deliberately doesn't even try. It should be an actual contest.

EDITL: Just realized I asked basically the same question 40 pages ago, but I wasn't really satisfied with the answers then. v:shobon:v

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 6, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not sure about dry wit exactly, but if you haven't seen Spice & Wolf the verbal sparring between the main characters is the highlight of that show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Not sure about dry wit exactly, but if you haven't seen Spice & Wolf the verbal sparring between the main characters is the highlight of that show.

They aren't really a comedy duo, but they are perhaps the best character duo I've ever seen.

But if you want a comedy duo, there's always Issac and Miria from Baccano.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

But if you want a comedy duo, there's always Issac and Miria from Baccano.

That's like two Shichikas at the same time. No deal.

(I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Baccano. But that's not it. Also, already seen it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sakurazuka posted:

Seriously, I am still pissed off that it doesn't look like they're ever going to make another season of the anime considering how unfinished the end of the second one felt, though it was a fantastic character arc. I know they just want people to buy the LNs but it still sucks :smith:

• Locked thread