Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

uPen posted:

It's a great deal and I'm glad you guys are doing a humble bundle. That said EU3 complete has a really dumb name and you guys should stop selling it.

I entirely agree the name is dumb now. I guess you know, but it was complete when it was made. I'm not sure why it's a problem to rebrand it, not my area, but apparently it is :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Alchenar posted:

There were two whole waves of EU3 Chronicles keys being given away for free this year. I think Paradox are fine.

e: that does however make it a bit weird that the bundle is EU3 Complete
Yeah, but that's precisely why people are a tad disappointed with this. Paradox was being very generous with Chronicles during the run-up for EU4, putting it in an indie bundle and handing keys out for free. Now that EU4 is actually out, making EU3 a bit of a legacy product, it's a bit odd to see them backtrack and try to cash in on the DLC again instead of using the polished Chronicles experience to promote EU4.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm not really disappointed, just confused.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Littlefinger posted:

Yeah, but that's precisely why people are a tad disappointed with this. Paradox was being very generous with Chronicles during the run-up for EU4, putting it in an indie bundle and handing keys out for free. Now that EU4 is actually out, making EU3 a bit of a legacy product, it's a bit odd to see them backtrack and try to cash in on the DLC again instead of using the polished Chronicles experience to promote EU4.

I agree - they were already handing out Chronicles for free like candy, so I thought letting someone get Chronicles for a buck (or slightly more) should be okay.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Is Warlock: Master of the Arcane good? Looks like a civ-lite with fantasy elements.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
The AI is kind of weak but yes, it's probably the best Master of Magic-like made.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's even set in the same universe as the Majesty series, whose lore/world really clicked with me for some reason.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know, I'm no marketing expert but I'd think making it EU3 Chronicles would only help sell more copies of EU4. If a person has a positive experience with the copy of EU3 they get in the bundle, they aren't going to go "Okay, now I should get the rest of the expansions!" they'll go "Okay, now I should really try out EU4!"

Also I was just making a joke about how confusing the naming is on these products.

This. I'm fortunate to have EU4 already but if I loaded up EU3 'Complete' to kind of see what the series was about I'd have put it down laughing and took my custom some place else than EU4.

Also Warlock is genuinely a really fun game and I enjoyed it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's even set in the same universe as the Majesty series, whose lore/world really clicked with me for some reason.

It's rather Discworld-esque in how much it likes to make fun of the usual fantasy cliches and tropes (though understandably not as good) without getting obnoxiously snarky about it. If you like lovingly-irreverent fantasy comedy, check out the Majesty series + Warlock: MotA.

FartGhost
Mar 7, 2013

Is EU3 still worth playing without chronicles? Or will it give me such a bad first impression that I will forever be scared away from buying EU4?

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Not really, no. It's not completely terrible, but it really isn't anything like its full potential.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

FartGhost posted:

Is EU3 still worth playing without chronicles? Or will it give me such a bad first impression that I will forever be scared away from buying EU4?

EU4 is better in every way. EU3 isn't terrible but it's significantly more janky and opaque than it's successor.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Darkrenown posted:

You do see that none of the games their are bundled with all of their DLCs, right? It's a bonus it's Complete and not EUIII base.

Naming aside given that you'd given away so much Chronicles for free by now it's just bizarre that you guys would go with Complete now. It does make it seem a lot like the decision was in error (whoever put up the bundle could have mixed up the two versions of the games for all we know!), and personally it doesn't seem like a decision that is defensible beyond "it is so because that's what was decided".

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Morholt posted:

The AI is kind of weak but yes, it's probably the best Master of Magic-like made.

Whoa, that's ridiculously high praise. Is it really that good? Better than Age of Wonders Shadow Magic?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Whoa, that's ridiculously high praise. Is it really that good? Better than Age of Wonders Shadow Magic?

You should probably do a little research first, although it's not that expensive. Warlock is pretty much constant combat and there isn't really much in the way of developing your 'civ' beyond throwing down buildings and trying to swarm your neighbors.

I dunno. I didn't like it, but I think I was expecting more from it, when it's really a smallish budget title.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

You should probably do a little research first, although it's not that expensive. Warlock is pretty much constant combat and there isn't really much in the way of developing your 'civ' beyond throwing down buildings and trying to swarm your neighbors.

I dunno. I didn't like it, but I think I was expecting more from it, when it's really a smallish budget title.

Well, the same could be said for Master of Magic or most fantasy 4X games, really. It being heavily combat focused with only minimal actual civ building is a staple of the genre. I was just wondering how it compared to its peers like Age of Wonders.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Well, the same could be said for Master of Magic or most fantasy 4X games, really. It being heavily combat focused with only minimal actual civ building is a staple of the genre. I was just wondering how it compared to its peers like Age of Wonders.

Compared to Age of Wonders I'd say that Warlock's much more... streamlined? Not, like, dumbed down, but a lot of potential bloat's trimmed off. Warlock's good at making you feel like a fantasy wizard making armies to battle other fantasy wizards. Nothing more, nothing less. If you're into that then it's the right game for you!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Is Warlock: Master of the Arcane good? Looks like a civ-lite with fantasy elements.

It looks like Fall from Heaven 2, but with the Civ5 engine instead of the Civ4 engine. I went ahead and picked up the bundle even though I had every other game already, because I really like FfH2. Hopefully it's as enjoyable as that mod is :)

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
So, does anyone know how to add new political ideologies and rebel types to Vicky 2? I'm thinking of making an 'Anarcho-Syndicalism' mod that adds in a new 'Syndicalist Federation' govtype, and while adding the government type will be fairly easy, there need to be ways for it to actually be established, and people to establish it.

Has anyone done something like that before, adding an entirely new govtype and ideology? I know a new govtype is easy as pie, but would a new ideology be prohibitively difficult, or even impossible? Would it be possible to integrate the new ideology into the game as thoroughly as the vanilla ones, with things like party coalitions, a unique color for the party, a government-specific casus belli, etc?

If it's possible at all, I'm thinking that will probably be the easy part, and I'll then have to move on to manually adding appropriate political parties for every country and possible revolter on the planet, writing events, adding decisions, doing localizations, making flags, and all that fun stuff. It'll be worth it to see some cool anarchist flags, though. :getin:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Darkrenown posted:

I entirely agree the name is dumb now. I guess you know, but it was complete when it was made. I'm not sure why it's a problem to rebrand it, not my area, but apparently it is :(

Basically, you just need to find the office for whoever is in charge of that, then you burst in and fling both of the doors wide open and announce "Hey listen here Buster Brown, you're going to change the name of EU3: Complete or you can take your business and shove it up your Byz-hole." Then after their hair tumbles back down around their shoulders after being blown back by your outburst, they'll say "Yy-yes Mister Darkrenown right away sir" and start typing furiously on a keyboard and fix everything up. Its an easy fix.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Why rename it when you can just not loving sell it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I am looking at wiz colonial code in eu3plus, and I dont know what the any_country part's supposed to do here. The "THIS" is really loving confusing me. What country is it referring to?

colonial.txt
code:
# Colonial revolter achieves independence
country_event = {
	id = 12002

trigger = {
		tag = BRZ
		NOT = { has_country_flag = colonial_independence }
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = 30		
	}

title = "EVTNAME12002"
	desc = "EVTDESC12002"

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA12002"
		any_owned = {
			limit = { culture = brazilian NOT = { has_province_flag = colonial_separatism } }
			add_core = THIS
			base_tax = 1 change_manpower = 2	
			set_province_flag = colonial_separatism
			remove_province_modifier = local_autonomy
		}		
		set_country_flag = colonial_independence
		any_country = {
			limit = { THIS = { has_country_flag = colonial_independence } }
			any_owned = {
				limit = { culture = brazilian NOT = { has_province_flag = colonial_separatism } }
				add_core = THIS
				base_tax = 1 change_manpower = 2	
				set_province_flag = colonial_separatism
				remove_province_modifier = local_autonomy
			}
		}
	}
}

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Riso posted:

I am looking at wiz colonial code in eu3plus, and I dont know what the any_country part's supposed to do here. The "THIS" is really loving confusing me. What country is it referring to?

colonial.txt
The any_country sets the scope to every country in the world, which is then followed up by the limit = THIS (referring to the previously scoped countries) reducing it to ones that have the colonial_independence flag.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Riso posted:

colonial.txt
code:
# Colonial revolter achieves independence
country_event = {
	id = 12002

trigger = {
		tag = BRZ                                          #Is Brazil
		NOT = { has_country_flag = colonial_independence } #This flag is not active on that country (The one for the event [Brazil])
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = 30		
	}

title = "EVTNAME12002"
	desc = "EVTDESC12002"

option = {
		name = "EVTOPTA12002"   #There is one option, no other.
		any_owned = {                                                 #Any province owned by the nation for the event, aka, loving brazil
			limit = { culture = brazilian NOT = { has_province_flag = colonial_separatism } }  #Provinces that do not have that wonderful same tag applied by other 
                        # events, and are braziliam culture are the
                        # only ones who receive the glut of following effects inside this any_owned
			add_core = THIS                     #Brazil gets a free core! Brazil is the country the event if affecting, thus THIS COUNTRY ARE COUNTRY
			#ARE TAX DOLLARS ARE TROOPS
			base_tax = 1 change_manpower = 2    #Brazil's cores are given some province roids!	
			set_province_flag = colonial_separatism #They get that flag from before so they never get reoided again!
			remove_province_modifier = local_autonomy  #they remove the modifier of your greatest mistake.
		}		
		set_country_flag = colonial_independence   #Out side of that limiter, so the country as a whole gets a flag reminding you of your failures
		any_country = {             #ANYONE IN THE WORLD
			limit = { THIS = { has_country_flag = colonial_independence } } #Who is like Brazil, and has that flag this also includes brazil now from getting it two lines ago
			any_owned = { #Those countries, now all their owned provinces
				limit = { culture = brazilian NOT = { has_province_flag = colonial_separatism } }  #That are once again, brazilian, and have that spiffy flag
				add_core = THIS                                                                    #Brazil gets cores on any province, owned by any nation 
				#that has colonial problems
                                #that are brazilian in culture and have local colonial problems
				base_tax = 1 change_manpower = 2	 #Provroids 2:Colonial Boogaloo, note it's not the same ones, as they had that flag applied that's now been excluded
				set_province_flag = colonial_separatism  #Flag 2: Nationalism Boogaloo
				remove_province_modifier = local_autonomy #Your mistake dies a final death.
			}
		}
	}
} #The event ends here, you can see this from the bracket array.

There.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 1, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Thanks, but you see I don't understand why it's

any_country = { limit = { THIS = { has flag

instead of just

any_country = { limit = { has flag

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Riso posted:

Thanks, but you see I don't understand why it's

any_country = { limit = { THIS = { has flag

instead of just

any_country = { limit = { has flag

Nevermind, read wrong. Far as i know, flag checking doesn't work without a single country scope.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
The purpose of that flag check is to hide the any_country in the event tooltip. It checks against the flag that was set two lines up, meaning it's properly executed on click but not on tooltip. THIS is the country getting the event (Brazil).

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Kersch posted:

Basically, you just need to find the office for whoever is in charge of that, then you burst in and fling both of the doors wide open and announce "Hey listen here Buster Brown, you're going to change the name of EU3: Complete or you can take your business and shove it up your Byz-hole." Then after their hair tumbles back down around their shoulders after being blown back by your outburst, they'll say "Yy-yes Mister Darkrenown right away sir" and start typing furiously on a keyboard and fix everything up. Its an easy fix.

Sounds like a plan! :swoon:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Wiz posted:

The purpose of that flag check is to hide the any_country in the event tooltip. It checks against the flag that was set two lines up, meaning it's properly executed on click but not on tooltip. THIS is the country getting the event (Brazil).

I am sorry this just confuses me more. So does only Brazil receive the event, or any country holding brazilian culture provinces?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Riso posted:

I am sorry this just confuses me more. So does only Brazil receive the event, or any country holding brazilian culture provinces?

Brazil gets the event. Then any provinces with brazilian culture held by anyone other than Brazil gets the effects inside that scope.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Thanks, these EU3 scripting shenanigans make my head hurt. Thankfully that's not needed anymore in the newer games.

Hidden_effect here we come.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I posted about this in my Victoria 2 Learning LP, but Victoria 2 is on sale on Amazon right now. I've seen it for cheaper when it's in the big, insane bundled deals, but if you've been waiting to pick it up then this isn't too bad:

quote:

I guess it's worth mentioning that Victoria 2 is on sale on Amazon right now. The base game is $4.99 (75% off), A House Divided is $5.99, and A Heart of Darkness is $10.

Links to Steam activatable versions:
Victoria 2: http://www.amazon.com/Victoria-II-O.../dp/B008EW7S0Q/
A House Divided: http://www.amazon.com/Victoria-II-D.../dp/B00A7YY3QG/
A Heart of Darkness: http://www.amazon.com/Victoria-II-H.../dp/B00C2UC7AC/

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

What is with the chronic underproduction of liquor in V2, anyway? Regular clothes and furniture too, but liquor especially, which is being underproduced in my current game to the tune of three thousand units, or about half of demand. It can't be lack of inputs- there's never any shortage of grain or glass. Might be low returns per unit- though the price is over £9 per now. And even if there's a general glut of literally every other good, the capis will still do anything to avoid expanding into that untapped market. They'll build steel mills and fertiliser factories when they can't sell half of what they already make, but you won't catch them building a distillery unless they have no other alternative. Three years of playing this game and I still don't have the faintest idea of how capis think. It's enough to make a man go state cap.

And then the interface on the trade and production screens is just aaaargh. There's a lot of really useful information there, but it seems to be organised in such a way as to make answering the questions I actually want to ask far harder than it has any right to be.

What I want to know, when I open the trade screen, is

• What is under supplied on the world market?
  • What am I a net importer of, manufactured goods seperated from raw materials?
  • Which inputs am I suffering from a chronic shortage of?
  • Which of the above am I most deficient in?
  • Who do I have to beat up to get my hands on them?
  • And where, if anywhere, is there slack capacity in RGOs?
  • What's the profit margin on any given good, per unit and per worker (at current tech levels)?
  • Relatedly, what's the potential value of untapped markets, and how much labour can I sink in them?

You can answer a lot of those questions there, but it's always a chore.

Actual £-values for production, imports and exports would be nice too.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Weird, my wine factory can't be upgraded fast enough in my game while the steel factory keeps getting closed down.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

Three years of playing this game and I still don't have the faintest idea of how capis think.

Well, there's your problem. Capitalists don't think the same way you or me do, they operate on a higher level. They know that even though it might seem that the free market demands liquor, in reality what it needs are more cars, planes and steel, even though there is twice as much supply as there is demand.

In all seriousness, I think that they look at the price of the goods over the actual supply and demand, or maybe they're just on all that opium I'm growing and think everything is a great investment. It's part of the reason I almost never go away from State Capitalism, except maybe to go up to interventionism to just subsidize the gently caress out of my carefully built economy. If I go laissez faire then half my factories end up bankrupt and the capis decide that the world requires more steel.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So in the wake of this I ended up writing a program that eats savefiles and shits spreadsheets. Specifically, it shits two spreadsheets, one that ranks countries by their tax base and another that breaks down the player's and the world's economy by good.

I don't know if this interests anyone, but I put it up for download here. Put it in the savegames folder, and when you run it it'll prompt you to pick a file. Outputs are UTF-8, ;-separated .csvs, which should play nice with OO or whatever. Note: the Domestic Demand and Surplus columns are highly suspect, and probably shouldn't be taken very seriously.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
That is beautiful. Imagine a customizable ledger!

Sulla
May 10, 2008
So now that we've got a total disaster for a Rome II: Total War release, what are the chances Paradox will swoop in and save us all with a timely announcement for EU: Rome 2 :v:?

Also Wiz, any chance of pulling some strings and getting us a final patch for all the stuff that needed fixing for the original EU:R?

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What happened with R:TW 2? A quick google just brought up a patch and not sure I want to wade through the whole thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

KDdidit posted:

What happened with R:TW 2? A quick google just brought up a patch and not sure I want to wade through the whole thread.

I'm guessing it's not as good as the first one and expectations were high. It ranked below EU4 in metacritic but still is one of the above-average games this summer: http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/new-releases/pc/metascore?view=condensed

• Locked thread