Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

death .cab for qt posted:

Or Earth's greatest wrestler, Angel.

I think you misspelled Roddy Piper there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Feenix posted:

Was that Nick Nolte voicing the narrator ending of that one mission Johnny Gat Rescue Mission

I'm pretty sure it's actually Roddy Piper.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I didn't really get that bit. Is it referencing something in particular? I just mean the voiceover, not the mission as a whole.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Reveilled posted:

I didn't really get that bit. Is it referencing something in particular? I just mean the voiceover, not the mission as a whole.

Foreshadowing, I thought. When I placed the voice, I knew that something magical was coming.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

You know that bug where an audio log plays every time you load your game?

I had that one play every time I started the game for 3 straight days. :smith:

I've got the exact same bug with that exact same audio log. It made every playthrough start off on such a somber note.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
It's probably been brought up here before but I didn't realize that there are cut audio logs in the game files for Donnie, Lin, William Sharp, and Viola. At the very least it 100% seems like Donnie was intended to be part of the group but was cut.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Suben posted:

It's probably been brought up here before but I didn't realize that there are cut audio logs in the game files for Donnie, Lin, William Sharp, and Viola. At the very least it 100% seems like Donnie was intended to be part of the group but was cut.

Cut or moved to DlC is the question.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

Mostly I want Oleg back because of Kinzie's last log.

Whoo! Superpowers fighting aliens hey another funny audio log, awesome!....poo poo :smith:

I think they missed an opportunity by not having him apart of Kinzie's nightmare simulation

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SirDan3k posted:

Cut or moved to DlC is the question.

DLC spoilers He's in Enter the Dominatrix.

So is Zimos.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Suben posted:

There was also an achievement back when the list first leaked entitled "DeWynter Blues", so Viola was up until recently going to be included in some fashion.

I have a pretty good feeling we're in for some good DLC down the line.

Really though, ever since I heard about the Gunslinger pack, I've been salivating. Can't wait to roll around with some sweet revolvers 'n poo poo.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

gibbed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raV0gNHSNPs
(not my video)

Hope you recognize the first track. :allears:

The promo video for the DLC on the Steam store page for it is pretty good, too.
Oh god the Polka gun has the Bavarian flag on it. OKTOBERFEST ALL OF THE TIME.

Now I want a Peter Stormare voice. (I'm aware he's Swedish but he does a passable cod-German accent.)

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Speaking of missed opportunities, I realized recently that they could have gone a lot darker with one part of the game.

The Boss's unique torture could have played out as an endless driving sequence where she's chasing after Carlos being dragged off by a car, forever. It'd be an endless loop and then Kinzie has to convince The Boss to stop even though she doesn't want to.

You'd miss out on Leave it to the Saints because of that, but it seemed strange that the simulation didn't pull from any actual bad memories, because The Boss sure has 'em.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Crappy Jack posted:

Really though, ever since I heard about the Gunslinger pack, I've been salivating. Can't wait to roll around with some sweet revolvers 'n poo poo.

Tell me more.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Those cut characters are all still in the game as functional homies (albeit all flagged with "Maybe DLC"). Donnie and Viola have voice acting, with Viola saying brand new stuff so she was definitely part of the game during the Enter the Dominatrix days. Viola looks as she did in SRTT but Donnie's outfit is Matrix styled and he has super powers. We know from the accidentally leaked videos that Donnie will be making a return in the upcoming DLC, no sign of Viola though.

I've touched on this before in the thread but while we're on the subject, one cut homie that probably doesn't have any chance of being included in DLC is Phillipe Loren. He lacks audio logs and an entry in the homies file but if you make him into a homie anyway he is also fully voiced, right down to having audio for answering the phone when you summon him. He obviously would have been a reconstructed ally after Gat's loyalty mission but didn't make it for some reason.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Rocketlex posted:

Speaking of missed opportunities, I realized recently that they could have gone a lot darker with one part of the game.

The Boss's unique torture could have played out as an endless driving sequence where she's chasing after Carlos being dragged off by a car, forever. It'd be an endless loop and then Kinzie has to convince The Boss to stop even though she doesn't want to.

You'd miss out on Leave it to the Saints because of that, but it seemed strange that the simulation didn't pull from any actual bad memories, because The Boss sure has 'em.

Well, you'd also end up alienating everybody who hadn't played SR2. And that'd be like the second thing you do in the game. Fight an alien invasion, and then be put into an endless chase sequence regarding a character you probably don't recognize if you're new to the series, and you win by not doing something. That's the sort of thing that would immediately get killed in playtesting.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah I find it kind of weird looking back on it that the boss's torture is everything being peaceful instead of losing all of his friends

But maybe that would have been spoiler

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Boss's torture should have been the opening to Saints Row but Julius never recruits them. Like The Boss said, life before the Saints didn't really matter. So I imagine never being asked to join is their personal hell.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Jimbot posted:

The Boss's torture should have been the opening to Saints Row but Julius never recruits them. Like The Boss said, life before the Saints didn't really matter. So I imagine never being asked to join is their personal hell.

Oh poo poo it should have been blood in blood out until he wins, but he never, ever wins

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rhonne posted:

I think they missed an opportunity by not having him apart of Kinzie's nightmare simulation

I haven't heard it officially, but I'm pretty sure Oleg was cut so that they wouldn't have to include brute character models or animations in the game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I haven't heard it officially, but I'm pretty sure Oleg was cut so that they wouldn't have to include brute character models or animations in the game.

This was pretty much exactly what I figured as well.

But then I was all Man, they could've just had him stay on the ship and work in some sort of "Oh, his brain is too advanced for the simulation to work" handwave explanation instead of making it so that depressing as hell Kinzie audio log ever has to exist. There better be some DLC that has us finding Oleg floating around safely on a rock in space and we pick him up.

EDIT: Or even better, he can't fit in the chair and all the tubes are too small for him.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 4, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Is it just me or is the soundtrack in this game a lot smaller? I kept feeling like I was getting repeats waaayyy quicker than in SR3. Maybe I just didn't care for some of the stations as much :iiam:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Spoileryish stuffOleg is just too big to fit in the simulation table things. Problem solved.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

Well, you'd also end up alienating everybody who hadn't played SR2. And that'd be like the second thing you do in the game. Fight an alien invasion, and then be put into an endless chase sequence regarding a character you probably don't recognize if you're new to the series, and you win by not doing something. That's the sort of thing that would immediately get killed in playtesting.

On that note, I found it odd there was no mention of Troy. Dex got a mention and it's understandable that the extent of his appearance since he was only in SR1 and a SR2 DLC, but Troy was in the main SR2 game. I find it amusing that the only people that went after the boss and *lived* happened to be Saints at one point.

Oh well another loose thread for another game perhaps.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zorak posted:

Is it just me or is the soundtrack in this game a lot smaller? I kept feeling like I was getting repeats waaayyy quicker than in SR3. Maybe I just didn't care for some of the stations as much :iiam:

I don't think it's smaller, but since they finally let you listen to it on-foot, it just makes it feel smaller.

signalnoise posted:

Yeah I find it kind of weird looking back on it that the boss's torture is everything being peaceful instead of losing all of his friends

It's hard to say actually. It didn't look like anyone from the previous games was in their simulation. There was a cameo mention of Dex, but the simulation doesn't let the Boss create a version of him. There's no telling on how exactly many times the scenario restarted and stopped before the Boss managed to break out.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zorak posted:

I'm having the same problem but in SR2, actually. I always felt like KRhyme had a lot of variety on SRIV, but I've heard "Gangsta Bitch" at least a dozen times in the short time I've played.

It's so loving hard to play SR2 ever since I got spoiled about Carlos, though. I've killed mafia and galactic empires with Pierce and Shaundi, but Carlos saved my loving life in that prison, and he's so goddamn cool and on top of his poo poo... but I know that he isn't gonna make it. :smith:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Starhawk64 posted:

How is being able to kill with Ride of the Valkyries and Polka music not a good value? :colbert:

And the DeathMetal skin is 80% wubs as far as the Explosive Wubs upgrade is concerned.

I look forward to modding in my own songs. Since it already makes things dance I figured I might go look up some DDR tracks. Alternately, throw in something truly horrible like My Chemical Romance which will force you to use things other than the dubstep gun before DFA unless you're so mad at whatever you're shooting that you're willing to punish yourself to punish it.

I kinda want one that plays Sympathy for the Devil.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Oh, one other alternate thought. Kinzie stuck the Boss in her simulation after she broke out. Dunno why she would do that, but but the boss's original simulation could have been the actual fake Steelport post-SRTT intro that you actually play in.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The only song I want on the radio is Don't Stop Me Now by Queen.

That being said, I need it so bad.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1) Consider what happens in "Leave It to the Saints!". The Boss struggles to eat pancakes or grab the paper. Literally can't drive recklessly. Clearly doesn't get much respect because look where she lives - it's a suburban house like anyone else's! It takes at least all of her power just to swear!

It's definitely an appropriate hell - one where the Boss has no latitude, power or authority, just a lot of people uselessly sucking up and a life on rails - but it's pretty subtle. I'm not really surprised it was lost on the Boss.

Also a version of Steelport with no mining, refining or navigable water - in other words, nothing to make either Steel or Port make sense. The gently caress?

2)

Toffile posted:

Oh, one other alternate thought. Kinzie stuck the Boss in her simulation after she broke out. Dunno why she would do that, but but the boss's original simulation could have been the actual fake Steelport post-SRTT intro that you actually play in.

I never believed that Kinzie would have anything to do with the Boss (or really anyone but Oleg) if the Saints weren't so convenient for her, but this is pretty cold-blooded.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Leave it to the Saints part is really weird because apparently you're still the president, according to the buddy cop. Then you sign autographs and stuff despite being an average joe living in a suburban town wearing a horrible looking sweater vest. I guess Zinyak didn't think that through all the way! :v:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I never believed that Kinzie would have anything to do with the Boss (or really anyone but Oleg) if the Saints weren't so convenient for her, but this is pretty cold-blooded.

I wouldn't really consider it cold-blooded; Kinzie's reasoning behind it could be that it's so foreign to the Boss that they'd realize it and end up breaking it far sooner than their own regular nightmare simulation.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Rocketlex posted:

The only song I want on the radio is Don't Stop Me Now by Queen.

That being said, I need it so bad.

Oh goddamnit that needs to be a mod right the gently caress now.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I for one was VERY disappointed that there were no exploding boats in the simulation. Or boats of any kind, as far as I could tell. Where are the boats hiding?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I just wanted to say I was especially amused by the Streets of Rage side-scrolling mission, specifically because I had spent the last half hour making my boss look like the main character from Hotline Miami. Just wish I could find a proper varsity jacket to complete the outfit instead of recoloring the Thriller jacket.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

My simulation override filters apparently break every time I load my save. For example, if I have it set to Modern, it looks like this after loading:

instead of this, which is what it's supposed to look like:

Now, I think the game actually looks better in the above pic, but in some parts of the city the filter suddenly starts working properly for a few seconds and it's really jarring. Going back to the computer to reset the filter fixes the problem, but it's pretty annoying to do that every time I start the game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

The Leave it to the Saints part is really weird because apparently you're still the president, according to the buddy cop. Then you sign autographs and stuff despite being an average joe living in a suburban town wearing a horrible looking sweater vest. I guess Zinyak didn't think that through all the way! :v:

Don't forget the guy in the dinner who glitches out also calls you the president.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
So, quick word to the wise. One of Laura Bailey's previous roles was Rayne from the Bloodrayne series of games, which is probably one of her more recognizable video game roles before Saints Row. However, this does not make it a good idea to attempt to recreate Rayne's costume from memory using whatever stock you can pull from Leather & Lace.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Boss post.

Saints Row The Third:

Saints Row 4 redesign:

He had a Vandal Savage moment after the earth went kablooey and became the hero humanity needs:

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I'm annoyed the dubstep gun DLC gives you a brand new, unupgraded gun, that you need to drop a ton of money into again as opposed to adding it to the customization of your current dubstep gun. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but man even post game and at 98% completion I'm really hurting for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lyer posted:

I'm annoyed the dubstep gun DLC gives you a brand new, unupgraded gun, that you need to drop a ton of money into again as opposed to adding it to the customization of your current dubstep gun. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but man even post game and at 98% completion I'm really hurting for money.

So does this mean with the current bug you will have THREE dubstep guns in your inventory?

• Locked thread