Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Ugh, that sucks. I still have like $45 worth of Station Points from a 4xPoints sale forever ago that I'd been using to buy every expansion as they come out, even though I'm only playing the game infrequently.

I have no idea what else I could spend all of that on. Maybe EQNext will let me use it for cosmetic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

WarLocke posted:

I guess I'll just drop $20 on a Steam wallet card tomorrow (buying DLC on Steam still works, right?)
Yeah.

WarLocke posted:

I just have no loving idea what to do with this 1003 SC I now have.
I'll be honest, maybe it's just that I like playing dressup and all but I blow the occasional $5-10 on Prometheum Keys* or radar boosts. The former net me some nice costume pieces, the latter are just handy for when I need to make a gear mod.

* Do this only at level 30, I'm told? I guess you can end up getting subpar gear from it since it scales to your level.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Welp, I just noticed that there are green/yellow/blue/purple construct weapon style packs on the market.

That's 500 SC down for my lantern character. I've always thought rolling with a green construct shield would be badass. :flashfap:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Even better? Those packs apply to every character on the account. You paid once but absolutely all of them can claim it if you like.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
I have no idea what it is about Autumn that makes me pick this game up again...

So is legends now just a rotation that only pays out Marks of Legends once per map per day if you win/lose? that's stupid I mean they didn't even have Ace Chemicals today and that's the best thing about the entire game.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

New character, so time for the ritual scouring of Metropolis for briefings and investigations to jump start leveling/skill points:

I like cheesy heroes in tights, even his name is a physics joke - Baryon Boy the Quantum Controller. :haw:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WarLocke posted:

New character, so time for the ritual scouring of Metropolis for briefings and investigations to jump start leveling/skill points:

I like cheesy heroes in tights, even his name is a physics joke - Baryon Boy the Quantum Controller. :haw:

I was stoned when I named my quantum character, and ended up with Heatime, which was supposed to be some kind of play on the heat death of the universe but just makes no sense :qq:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Three of the four characters I have are names taken straight from City of Heroes characters and the forth one is just a terrible name.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I stand by my Ice Tank Villain, Farging Icehole.

Best name. :colbert:

EDIT: Also my Electricity Healer has the greatest power-related name, Electric Slide.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So, those boxes you get as a weekly (I assume) reward for winning at PvP, is the stuff in them based on your level when you open them? Basically should I throw them in the bank until I'm 30, or open them as I get them?

Also, I was going to ask the same about Promethium boxes, but keys are $2.50 per on the market, so gently caress that.

And what is the deal with bases? I got a mission to pick a(n entrance?) spot, is this permanent or should I just plonk it wherever? Bases weren't around the last time I played.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

WarLocke posted:

So, those boxes you get as a weekly (I assume) reward for winning at PvP, is the stuff in them based on your level when you open them? Basically should I throw them in the bank until I'm 30, or open them as I get them?

Also, I was going to ask the same about Promethium boxes, but keys are $2.50 per on the market, so gently caress that.

And what is the deal with bases? I got a mission to pick a(n entrance?) spot, is this permanent or should I just plonk it wherever? Bases weren't around the last time I played.

In order: Don't believe the PvP ones are level-locked (they correspond to your PvP item level at most now, which can be tweaked without being Lv30), Prometheum you'd want to wait on, yes. Bases are now permanent but you can pay to move it with in-game currency later. All it's going to pick is where you enter/leave it from if you use the front door and not a teleport.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Quick DLC question: I was grandfathered in to Fight for the Light (not sure how that works, the DCUO site doesn't list it on my account but I can definitely make Light characters) and have bought Lightning Strikes, The Battle For Earth and Origin Crisis.

I still have $10 in my Steam wallet. So I could buy one of Home Turf, Hand of Fate, Last Laugh, but Sons of Trigonisn't listed on Steam yet.

I guess I'm asking about the pros/cons of each one if I can only grab one at the moment.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Quick DLC question: I was grandfathered in to Fight for the Light (not sure how that works, the DCUO site doesn't list it on my account but I can definitely make Light characters) and have bought Lightning Strikes, The Battle For Earth and Origin Crisis.

I still have $10 in my Steam wallet. So I could buy one of Home Turf, Hand of Fate, Last Laugh, but Sons of Trigonisn't listed on Steam yet.

I guess I'm asking about the pros/cons of each one if I can only grab one at the moment.

Home Turf is kinda pointless, you need to grind like mad to use any of the base stuff.

Hand of Fate adds the utility belts, which I've only found one of and is sorta neat, but that's about it.

Last Laugh was just PvP, I think? None of them add powersets other than Sons of Trigon, which adds the Holy/Demonic stuff. I forget which it is but I think one of them adds the Shield? Might be Last Laugh. Whichever it is, get that one, because Shields are awesome.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Shields must have been a bennie to everyone, because I can use them and I don't have Last Laugh.

So I guess it's either grab Hand of Fate for belts or wait for Sons of Trigon to show up on Steam.

How's the post-30 game without all these DLCs? If I grab SoT, presumably the stuff it adds is the newest 'tier' of group content, can it be jumped into or do I need to go through older stuff first?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shields came with The Last Laugh.

Unless something changed, the only ways to be able to use a Shield is to own that, or have a sub.

Also: Shields can be summed up as :black101:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

Shields came with The Last Laugh.

Unless something changed, the only ways to be able to use a Shield is to own that, or have a sub.

Also: Shields can be summed up as :black101:

Well I can definitely use shields, and I was subbed at one time but currently am 'premium'. So unless I have some sort of phantom access to Last Laugh :iiam:

And yeah, shields are pretty badass. Too bad hand blaster works more for my quantum's theme.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I believe if you were subbed and had access to shields you keep access if you stop paying, which is really cool of them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

I believe if you were subbed and had access to shields you keep access if you stop paying, which is really cool of them.

This is correct for everything, powers too.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fuzz posted:

This is correct for everything, powers too.

So $15 unlocks everything, ot $80 if you do it the dumb way? I thought you just didn't lose stuff you already had, but couldn't create new stuff?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

tallian posted:

So $15 unlocks everything, ot $80 if you do it the dumb way? I thought you just didn't lose stuff you already had, but couldn't create new stuff?

Yeah I am pretty sure it's just you don't lose it should a character have it, you don't get to make more with it. If this is wrong, correct me! I have most of the expansions so the only thing I'd be testing is $15 for Celestial and that's a silly overpayment.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yeah I am pretty sure it's just you don't lose it should a character have it, you don't get to make more with it. If this is wrong, correct me! I have most of the expansions so the only thing I'd be testing is $15 for Celestial and that's a silly overpayment.

I made a Hard Light Shield user the other day, and the Quantm controller I am currently playing has skill points in shields and can equip them, and I most definitely do not have Last Laugh, nor am I subbed.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Then consider me chastised and I'll mention that when I finish the OP update.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I might make a Celestial since I have an SOE All Access pass and therefore have a sub.

Dunno if anyone else still subs, but if anyone needs me to rest something or whatever, let me know. I'm gonna get back into this starting this week, what Legion are we all in now on PC villain/hero?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

You guys need to join the Goonsquad channel. It's always dead and I could use some dick jokes every once in awhile.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mastajake posted:

You guys need to join the Goonsquad channel. It's always dead and I could use some dick jokes every once in awhile.

Every time I log on I say something in there. Nobody ever responds. :(

e: I wonder if we could drum up some more goon interest with a recruitment thread in Games. DCUO's F2P model is pretty darn lenient, and the game has a ton of content (especially if you're willing to buy DLC packs for all those raids and stuff).

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 4, 2013

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
The big problem is that the "free" endgame content is some of the worst in the game. God help anyone who's excited to be level 30 and then has to run Kahndaq.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

The big problem is that the "free" endgame content is some of the worst in the game. God help anyone who's excited to be level 30 and then has to run Kahndaq.

What, you don't like taking an hour to plug the aqueducts for [raisins]?

I think one of the problems with instanced content in this game is that it unlocks way too early. If you do most of the endgame raids as soon as they become available you will be a total drag on the team. Another 10 points of CR and suddenly you can finish the content in a sane amount of time.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

WarLocke posted:

Every time I log on I say something in there. Nobody ever responds. :(

I tried messaging a couple people through the group who were playing with no response today. It was pretty lame and made me wonder if they actually got the messages.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ArchRanger posted:

I tried messaging a couple people through the group who were playing with no response today. It was pretty lame and made me wonder if they actually got the messages.

If I was one of those people, I didn't see anything.

Not that its hard to miss a message with all of the chat spam.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

It was through the Steam group actually, but yeah, the in-game chat is nearly worthless because of how fast it moves.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Haha holy gently caress PvP.

First of all, it seems like nobody does sub-30 PvP except Legends. I've gotten into a single Australia match and my level 14 self ended up fighting (and losing to) multiple 20+ players. Yeah that's totally balanced.

And speaking of balance, when I get a 1v1 Legends match and my Robin gets matched against a Two-Face or Steel, I just have to feel a liiiiiitle hosed over. Yeah let's put a guy in who can drop firebombs on top of the point, spray you with a flamethrower AND summon goons to beat on you. Meanwhile I have a couple acrobatic leaps and a taser line?

gently caress it, I'll just wait until the pvp box reward (does non-Legend pvp reward these?) is off cooldown before I pvp any more.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WarLocke posted:

Haha holy gently caress PvP.

First of all, it seems like nobody does sub-30 PvP except Legends. I've gotten into a single Australia match and my level 14 self ended up fighting (and losing to) multiple 20+ players. Yeah that's totally balanced.

And speaking of balance, when I get a 1v1 Legends match and my Robin gets matched against a Two-Face or Steel, I just have to feel a liiiiiitle hosed over. Yeah let's put a guy in who can drop firebombs on top of the point, spray you with a flamethrower AND summon goons to beat on you. Meanwhile I have a couple acrobatic leaps and a taser line?

gently caress it, I'll just wait until the pvp box reward (does non-Legend pvp reward these?) is off cooldown before I pvp any more.

I don't bother with 1v1 legends, just make sure I get a daily win in the others.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So is the Sons of Trigon DLC worth picking up? I've got everything else so far.

I should probably play more though. I just have trouble settling on any specific character for very long and end up starting new characters over and over... Is there any particular build that's Super Awesome and will make me not want to play anything else ever again?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Kelp Plankton posted:

So is the Sons of Trigon DLC worth picking up? I've got everything else so far.

Basically unless you want the new powers, wait until (if?) you reach "endgame", or T5 content. It's just more stuff at that level which isn't running raids/solos all the time. I am unsure if you can even get into the twisted Gotham until you're at that level, I think it's akin to Central City that way.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Basically unless you want the new powers, wait until (if?) you reach "endgame", or T5 content. It's just more stuff at that level which isn't running raids/solos all the time. I am unsure if you can even get into the twisted Gotham until you're at that level, I think it's akin to Central City that way.

How does the post-30 content work, anyway? I mean I get that most of it is gated by combat rating, but if you had the hypothetical player that just had the base game and then Sons of Trigon, can he access that content? Or do you need other DLC for group/raid content that falls 'in between' base-game raids and the SoT stuff in order to get the CR to do it?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

WarLocke posted:

How does the post-30 content work, anyway? I mean I get that most of it is gated by combat rating, but if you had the hypothetical player that just had the base game and then Sons of Trigon, can he access that content? Or do you need other DLC for group/raid content that falls 'in between' base-game raids and the SoT stuff in order to get the CR to do it?

You can totally get from 30 (T1) to T4 at least without DLC. It's just loving repetitive. Roughly half the DLC is basically "eases grind between (tier) and (higher tier)", be it via rather easy dailies to run for marks/some nice gear, or a bunch of new duos/alerts/raids for a level range.

I do not know if you can actually hit T5 that way though. I think all T4 content barring a couple of dailies in the world is DLC-locked though, so gently caress trying to do that one alone.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Kelp Plankton posted:

I should probably play more though. I just have trouble settling on any specific character for very long and end up starting new characters over and over... Is there any particular build that's Super Awesome and will make me not want to play anything else ever again?

Most of the power sets seem to be vaguely similar, they might have their individual touches but Mental is not all THAT different from Gadgets, for example. Earth has a perpetual-motion thing going on with the Jackhammer power (I've read) where you can just infinitely do that as long as you're not knocked out of it, which is pretty unique. And then there's Light having the whole construct-combo system which is virtually nothing like any of the other sets. I think Celestial has some sort of combo system too but I have no idea how it works.

So, basically, Light is the most 'unique' of the sets, it can also put out some stupid DPS at the high end from what I've read, if you like the combo gameplay.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WarLocke posted:

Most of the power sets seem to be vaguely similar, they might have their individual touches but Mental is not all THAT different from Gadgets, for example. Earth has a perpetual-motion thing going on with the Jackhammer power (I've read) where you can just infinitely do that as long as you're not knocked out of it, which is pretty unique. And then there's Light having the whole construct-combo system which is virtually nothing like any of the other sets. I think Celestial has some sort of combo system too but I have no idea how it works.

So, basically, Light is the most 'unique' of the sets, it can also put out some stupid DPS at the high end from what I've read, if you like the combo gameplay.

I don't know about other control powersets, but quantum is the way to go if you like stunlocking the hell out of groups. Spamming Tachyon Burst, you stun 2 mobs at a time with it, it has no cooldown, and it gives your PoT effect. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

tallian posted:

I don't know about other control powersets, but quantum is the way to go if you like stunlocking the hell out of groups. Spamming Tachyon Burst, you stun 2 mobs at a time with it, it has no cooldown, and it gives your PoT effect. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

It also has a teleport, black hole/singularity, and a literal time bomb :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WarLocke posted:

It also has a teleport, black hole/singularity, and a literal time bomb :getin:

Oh god, I always take teleport so for granted. That is the best utility skill ever.

I love blinking out from under gankers and watching them spin around trying to figure out what the hell just happened.

Edit: Time bomb and singularity are basically the same skill, in terms of how you actually use them as a controller. They both provide the same armor debuff effect.

• Locked thread