Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That permastealth build actually looks super cool. OP, copy that one. Though I prefer my "cookie cutter" executioner DPS build, that looks wicked effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Works
Aug 7, 2006

Break everything you love.
Is there a way to get more than one favor of sune a day at the midsummer festival? I hate being the only person without a pig mount.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gravity Works posted:

What are you planning on replacing it with? I need new armor also but haven't looked at the other sets yet.

Timeless Hero set seems to be where it's at. It's extremely expensive though. For PvE content I was using the Antiquated Captain's set and it seemed to be a nice bonus for a relatively cheap price for purple gear.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I'm especially bummed because my helm alone was 600k. Doing dungeons is fine enough as a GF, but because of the armor change, I'm doing so much less damage than when I was a fresh 60.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Gravity Works posted:

Is there a way to get more than one favor of sune a day at the midsummer festival? I hate being the only person without a pig mount.

You can buy them with tarmalune bars.

Datasmurf posted:

Yeah, after I respecced to a stealth build my rogue has been really fun to play again, and I don't die nearly as much as I used to. Though, that may have something to do with starting on the long and ardious task to upgrade my cleric. Still, it's way too expencive.

Cool, I'll check it out.

Railgun
Aug 12, 2010

Semisponge posted:

I dunno I don't have any good gear so the most I can do is like a 10k crit on Lashing Blade. And I'm not feated for Shocking Execution because Railgun would never forgive me, bless his soul.

Unfortunately I have no idea if this is still true if they went through with that severe LA nerf :(

If I had to guess based on the proposed nerfs I saw and past knowledge then a LA stealthed lashing is probably roughly equivalent to a shocking damage wise now, but I've been out of the loop too long to really have any credibility on the subject.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me, or does the "Leadership" craft ability seem like a euphemism for human trafficking?

I'm "Helping the Needy," which adds refugees to my inventory. I can then "Find Refugees a New Home," which removes them from my inventory, and gives me a bunch of goods and money.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Does anyone have suggestions on leveling a good tank? I'm playing a GF, currently level 33. I was torn between Protector and Tactician, as both look pretty rad for tanking, but right now I'm going down the Prot line.

Right now my feat/power build is this with my hotbar as: At will: Cleave + Tide of Iron, Encounter: Enforced threat + lunging strike + knight's challenge, Daily: Villain's Menace + Fighter's recovery, Passive: enhanced mark + combat superiority.

My gear priorities are Defense > Power > Deflection = Recovery = Crit > all else. My gear + stats are:

I've looked at the official forums but I was hoping for a more personal and goony set of advice instead of trusting the publords. I try to do dungeons as much as I can with my girlfriend trying her best to heal me, but I find that I get pretty drat low on health fairly often. I basically stay in guard the entire time, stopping to tab threat on the boss/big enemies, use Knight's challenge when I can, and alternating dailies based on if I need the HP or not. Also using enforced threat to regen some guard. I can keep the boss on me usually but the adds are loving hard to keep aggro on so I usually let them go unless they're on my healer.

E: Are there stat caps / diminishing returns?

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 4, 2013

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Gravity Works posted:

Can't you just buy the stuff with trade bars? Or are you one of the smart people that didn't spend your money on keys to open boxes hoping to get planar idols?

Opposing Farce posted:

I actually ended up ditching my cleric entirely because in solo content at least having her around just gave the mobs something to target and opened me up to getting winged by area damage.

So you run around without companions, or did you manage to find another that's actually good.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
So Neverwinter is patching right now. The patch notes indicate some pretty routine bugfixes and UI updates, including this gem:

quote:

General: Corrected issues with some powers not being able to properly score critical strikes such as: Storm Pillar, Shard of the Eternal Avalanche and Flamestrike.

:cryptic:

Update: both NW and STO patched at the same time, so everyone's download speed is at like 1kbps. At this rate I think I'll have it all done in an hour and a half, maybe two hours...

Semisponge fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 5, 2013

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Datasmurf posted:

So you run around without companions, or did you manage to find another that's actually good.

I've been running around without a companion-- the fundamental problem with the cleric was that she aggroed enemies in a way that was difficult for me to control, so picking up another companion doesn't really change anything. If I had the AD, though, I would probably pick up the cat, since augment companions don't engage in combat.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Interesting.

Yeah, I've noticed that my cleric does manage to aggro a lot of fuckers in sharandar, and she's usually dead before I've killed them all, but thanks to pots and those full health stones, I've survived.
Well, that and a well timed bloodbath.

I'm still considering if it's worth it to spend the AD to upgrade her to epic or not. I'd have to spend lots of money on keys hoping to get planar idols, since I never get anything worth selling on the AH.

Or I could just wait untill I get 360 Ardent Coins.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I seem to remember that opening boxes was a horrible value proposition, based on some youtube videos of guys opening like 100 boxes and getting nothing of worth. Might be worth just saving up for the item you want instead of hoping for luck.

Sample video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSaxuZ5ZBMo

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Enh, both leadership packs and coffers of enchantment can have high-value stuff in them. I've been opening feywild boxes here and there in hopes of getting more sparklies because otherwise you have to grind for them and it takes forever. Also I want that stupid deer it looks so dumb I want it.

Gravity Works
Aug 7, 2006

Break everything you love.
I want to watch somebody open 100 profession packs so I can see what the odds are on that. I don't know if i should just buy the tools off the auction house or open those packs and hope for purple assets.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
You should almost certainly sell the packs, buy the tools.

Regarding lockboxes, I opened 22 with keys bought with AD, and I pretty much broke even. Every ~20 boxes is enough trade bars for a coalescent ward, and stuff like jewelled idols sell for nearly as much as a box costs in the first place. It's stuff like coffers of runestones that are the real booby prizes.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Gravity Works posted:

I want to watch somebody open 100 profession packs so I can see what the odds are on that. I don't know if i should just buy the tools off the auction house or open those packs and hope for purple assets.

You are better off buying from the auction house. I opened a few and it was always poo poo or stuff I didn't want

Railgun
Aug 12, 2010
Profession packs used to have an offset compared to the Zen->AD value when Dragon Eggs were worth 135k AD, though the overall profit margin of a Dragon Egg increased when they dropped to 30k. Example: Purple socketed plate shirt/pants dropped slowly from ~320k to ~270k which resulted in a net profit increase from ~185k to ~240k. If you don't have 4 purple tools to use all of ~*one*~ crafting slot for this (for a 60% chance) then you don't benefit from having a Dragon Egg pop up which decreases the overall value probability of gambling on a pack, unless Dragon Egg is back up to its old value and you can just sell the material for profit like you used to be able to. 300z was a little over 90k AD so if you could get more than that out of what you gamble then you win. Profession packs, even when Dragon Egg is in the profit mix, can still net a heavy loss if you have a long unlucky streak which has happened to both Sid and I.

For the weekly prayer coins you can save up green wards to create purple rank 7-8 enchantments and eventually turn a profit with those, and rarely get a blue ward for instant profit. Either way the wards are guaranteed profit be it over time or instant when used in this manner.

The market with weapon and armor enchantments was dependent on the rank. Specifically with Vorpal around the time I was playing it was a slight profit to try to craft and sell a Lesser one, but not enough to actually do it since AH tax would eat that profit, but the higher you went the larger the profit margin was up to Greater Vorpal. After that the profit goes deeply negative. There was one person trying to sell their Perfect Vorpal enchantment for what amounted to a heavy loss and they couldn't get it to sell because the overall amount of money was greater than the vast majority of the player base could sustain. At the time the enchantments and materials were worth ~21m and they were trying to sell it for ~14m and could not.

Railgun fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 7, 2013

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Seems to be a fairly decent game at first glance. Hit level 10 in my first session.

Only real complaint is that a couple of the instances had graphics all bugged to hell that made it both difficult (mobs invisible along with walls and floors flickering in and out of existance) and ugly.

It is nice to have a game where the repetitive attacks aren't on the number keys, as my wrist was injured in a car accident last year, and carpal tunnel is a real thing with repetitive motions on that hand.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I've just started playing through as well and hit level 18. Those two early glitchy areas seem to be the only ones. After that it gets better.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just installed, what's the general consensus on Starting races and the CW? I know Ranger doesn't come out for a bit, and I personally prefer ranged spammy combat.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Humanz are ze mastah race for, like, every class. But Tiefling make for amazing wizards too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Aramek posted:

Humanz are ze mastah race for, like, every class. But Tiefling make for amazing wizards too.

Explain? I started my wizard as a pointy ear elf thing for max intelligence. Should I delete and start over since I'm still in early-life?

Why are Tiefling (looked like a rogue race to me?) and human better?

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Any race is perfectly good for any class. Tieflings have a really nice racial ability "+5% damage to targets below half health", which at a whole 2.5% bonus on average, is the best racial ability. Humans get bonus feat points, which is probably better, but eh.

I've got a half-orc wizard, and it works perfectly well for epic dungeons. Knowing how all your skills work is way more important than min-maxing.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

The Locator posted:

Explain? I started my wizard as a pointy ear elf thing for max intelligence. Should I delete and start over since I'm still in early-life?

Why are Tiefling (looked like a rogue race to me?) and human better?

Races generally don't matter much; even the best racials are really just nice bonuses and not much else, and ability scores don't really make a huge difference except for very specific, very min-maxy builds (i.e. Rogues stacking Int to maximize stealth time with reduced cooldowns). I'd say base your race decision on ~roleplaying~ or which abilities you like best before you worry about picking the perfect race for your class.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Rolled a Teifling CW, it's fun, but the lack of aoe or even a close in knockback is killer at low levels. Rolled a Human Cleric, LOVE it.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 11, 2013

Railgun
Aug 12, 2010
Last I knew Teifling racial didn't stack with Tempest Magic, so you only benefit from this racial if you don't take this feat unless this has changed in these last few patches. There was a new elf race that had Intelligence primary with a racial bonus that increased AP gain? Human gets 3% global damage from fully invested Learned Spellcaster if you're doing minmax build vs minmax build, but I think that elf still comes out slightly ahead when you're doing total stats vs total stats.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I will have some free time coming up its been a few months since I last logged in. I will try to join up with some of you guys if anyone is on.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
I've been looking for a new MMO to try. This one looks like fun, I think I'll give it a shot.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
http://nw.perfectworld.com/neverwinterpack/guardian

Anyone have an opinion on that? Seems overall pretty whatever, but 600k AD does seem like a nice nestegg to play the AH with.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Thronde posted:

http://nw.perfectworld.com/neverwinterpack/guardian

Anyone have an opinion on that? Seems overall pretty whatever, but 600k AD does seem like a nice nestegg to play the AH with.

The 600k AD is worth $17.80 if you convert from zen, so keep that in mind.

The best things you get are the mount and companion. The mount is rank 3 (top tier) and the cheapest T3 mount you can buy is the heavy inferno nightmare from the AH at 740k AD, which is $22 bucks. The companion is an epic striker (dps that can go all the way to level 30, which is 60 in player levels) which is great unless you are a class that needs a heal or tank companion. I hear that at 60 you really want augment pets, but I'm not there yet so YMMV. The cheapest epic striker is the Phoera, which goes for 149k AD, or about 4.50.

You get a respec token, which might be helpful at 60, valued at 300z. You also get a third character slot, valued at half the two-pack character slot value, or 250z. Total that's $5.50 in value.

You get a greater stone of health, which you can buy from the zen store for 1500z ($15) but it's on the AH for 140k AD, which is about $4.20 right now so we'll go with that.

Right now you're at $54. You get a few little trinkets and extra whizbangs on your account like a gold pretty fairy mask, unlimited party poppers, a cosmetic weapon enchant, a better starter weapon, a 10k XP booster (:meh:), and a few other useless things. If all that's worth the $6 difference, I'd say go for it. Remember, for a few dollars (maybe 10) here and there extra, you can pick out different mounts or companions, whereas you're locked in when you buy the pack. Take that for what it's worth.

Personally, I bought a pet and mount from the AH and it cost me $35, and if I ever want AD to buy poo poo from the AH with, I'll just buy zen as I need it. There isn't really and ~massive savings~ to be had with the packs, because something something about revenue per paying customer or some economics crap, I don't know.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Today is the first day that you can get the cute little piggy mount naturally (without spending bars). Happy pig day, everyone. If you bought the hog, you are a loving heathen.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I dunno, as my rogue is a big, tough space Ork, the armored version totally fits. (Plus I missed a whole week of dailies, so I don't think I can get the cute one anyway.)

Been playing my brothers old account, level 45 rogue, used that old free respec to do that stealth build. It is really different, but, dang, while you lose a bit of damage, you gain an incredible amount of survivability.

Staying in stealth as you kill three whole groups of lizard men, as they all just stand there with purple question marks above their heads is a surreal delight.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007
Are there a good amount of goons playing this? It's only fun to play when there are goons to play with.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wow, you raise a very valid point, thanks for the breakdown. Think I'll save my money and get a cool mount/comp on the AH then.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

skystream92 posted:

Are there a good amount of goons playing this? It's only fun to play when there are goons to play with.

There has yet to be an evening where someone didn't answer when I spoke up in the goon channel (only 4 days now, so sample size and all that). I haven't actually done any adventuring with goons yet, but then I really haven't tried, and I'm in the brand new phase of the game.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

skystream92 posted:

Whenever I look at the dndgoons chat at what I would assume is primetime (6-10pm in the US), I usually see 5-7 people on. I think it peaked at 10 once. I have found one person to group with me for a dungeon as I leveled one time. I think most everyone is 60.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've just started this whole shebang. So if I'm on/around, ask in chat and I'll probably answer up. Always up for group farm runs or something.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Richard M Nixon posted:

Whenever I look at the dndgoons chat at what I would assume is primetime (6-10pm in the US), I usually see 5-7 people on. I think it peaked at 10 once. I have found one person to group with me for a dungeon as I leveled one time. I think most everyone is 60.

What is the command to see who is in the channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

The Locator posted:

What is the command to see who is in the channel?
Open up the chat configuration window and go to custom channels. It'll show online users / total users.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 12, 2013

• Locked thread