Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Rincewind posted:

I had a similar problem and then I noticed that I had an out of date mod turned on. Try seeing if you have anything like that, or if you've modified some other game files or something.

I could've sworn it was a trait thing, given last time I was rooting around in the files was to fix the patch's messing-up of the trait order, but turning off the Women Equality and Legitimizing Heresy mods did the trick, weird. Thank. Guy who made those mods, might need an update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Flesnolk posted:

I could've sworn it was a trait thing, given last time I was rooting around in the files was to fix the patch's messing-up of the trait order, but turning off the Women Equality and Legitimizing Heresy mods did the trick, weird. Thank. Guy who made those mods, might need an update.

For me, Girl Power was the culprit, so I just contented myself with editing the succession rules so I could switch to cognatic even though my culture was Anglo-Saxon.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Rincewind posted:

For me, Girl Power was the culprit, so I just contented myself with editing the succession rules so I could switch to cognatic even though my culture was Anglo-Saxon.

Is there a reason why Basque is the only allowed culture in the base game?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

AfroSquirrel posted:

Is there a reason why Basque is the only allowed culture in the base game?

The Basques used Absolute Cognatic succession, and as a general rule nobody else did. Doesn't really make sense why therefore it should be restricted to Basques instead of just being the case that the Basques start with it and others can switch, but sometimes game developers make weird decisions that don't make sense.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I need help! I attempted to do some clever marrying and force a sort of personal union, but for reasons that I don't understand, it won't stick. Look:

I'm the Emperor of Britannia, married to the Queen of Lotharingia. My plan was have my heir inherit her kingdom, but he doesn't appear to be the one who'll get it. Her succession law is Agnatic-Cognatic, so why is our first daughter going to receive it instead of our son? I don't know what I'm missing.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

I need help! I attempted to do some clever marrying and force a sort of personal union, but for reasons that I don't understand, it won't stick. Look:

I'm the Emperor of Britannia, married to the Queen of Lotharingia. My plan was have my heir inherit her kingdom, but he doesn't appear to be the one who'll get it. Her succession law is Agnatic-Cognatic, so why is our first daughter going to receive it instead of our son? I don't know what I'm missing.

Sounds like the Empire is Gavelkind and your son is going to get that, but your Empire is set at high enough authority that titles can't go out of it?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Rincewind posted:

For me, Girl Power was the culprit

Misandry!!!!!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Man, the game ought to give you a warning or something when a powerful country can press a weak claim on you. I was puttering along as Ireland in a regency, doing my own thing and working my way towards Britannia, when out of loving nowhere I get a declaration of war from the entire HRE. :stonk: Turns out some random-rear end claimant to the Irish throne was sitting somewhere in the Kaiser's blob and he wanted to take advantage before my regency ended a few months later. So I reloaded and stabbed her, but I still got a declaration of war a month later because he had a second claimant. I managed to get out of that one by reloading again and marrying her to someone in my court, but Jesus, that was a scare.

EDIT: Turns out the AI is pretty smart about this sort of thing too. I tried to remove the threat of the first claimant by marriage as well, but she was in the Kaiser's direct court and trying it landed me my first-ever marriage refusal from the AI. I especially liked how the message said the marriage "would not be in his best interest." Yeah, I see what you did there, game.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 4, 2013

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
I'm actually playing the Byzantine Empire for the first time since getting this game, and trying to figure out how best to use Born in the Purple.

On the one hand, I could leave my heir unmarried until he inherits so his children have BitP; it gives a +10 relation bonus with vassals, which is sweet, particularly when sitting on the pile of angry vassals that is the Byzantine Empire.

On the other hand, I could have my heir marry now; the children won't get BitP, but that means I can use the Despot title to promote someone to "virtual BitP" down the line, which is like having single-elector elective succession. Which is also sweet.

The +10 is tempting, but I just know if I pick it my first grandson is going to be a vile little poo poo and the second is going to be a grey eminence genius.

Also holy poo poo the republics in this game. The western Mediterranean managed somehow to get 6 different merchant republics - Genoa, Pisa, Venice, Corsica (formed under HRE), Sardinia (got independence from Genoa somehow), and Amalfi (the only one I created). There has literally been no time without an ongoing embargo war in at least 50 years. They're soaking up all the goddamn mercenaries, and the trade post map is an absolute mess.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

After giving up my dreams of taking all of England, I found the greatest thing. An elderly childless uncle with a strong claim.

All the mercenary bands, full levies and a maxed out retinue march on Essex, win the first siege and capture the current king.

Now all I've got is a 45% assassination chance and ill inherit the entirety of England as a Bedouin Orthodox emir called Brian. Think ill dissolve the king titles of England and Scotland until I get an heir that's Irish. Of course, it's 1399.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Glass Hand posted:

I'm actually playing the Byzantine Empire for the first time since getting this game, and trying to figure out how best to use Born in the Purple.

On the one hand, I could leave my heir unmarried until he inherits so his children have BitP; it gives a +10 relation bonus with vassals, which is sweet, particularly when sitting on the pile of angry vassals that is the Byzantine Empire.

On the other hand, I could have my heir marry now; the children won't get BitP, but that means I can use the Despot title to promote someone to "virtual BitP" down the line, which is like having single-elector elective succession. Which is also sweet.

The +10 is tempting, but I just know if I pick it my first grandson is going to be a vile little poo poo and the second is going to be a grey eminence genius.

I don't get it, why wait? Children born in the purple get prioritised in succession, so if your son has 3 kids before becoming emperor, the first one born after he becomes emperor will instantly be the heir. Of course you could end up with the first born being a grey eminence and the first one born in the purple being an imbecile but that's always a risk no matter how you do it. The sooner you have kids the sooner you secure the succession. Or are you running elective or something?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

oops forgot to disable Sunset Invasion :suicide:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Am I missing something, or do you seriously need to hold the Kingdom of Egypt to form the Empire of Abyssinia? Everything else was all in place, then I go to the title window, and it turns out I need to hold loving Egypt, even though it is in no way a de jure part of the Empire. What gives?

Nobody Interesting posted:

Eh, look on the bright side: that's gonna be one mother of an EUIV game. :unsmith:

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Jay Rust posted:

Lotharingia is part of the holy roman empire. If they have high crown authority they can't lose land by inheritances. Your daughter, (or 2nd son if you have one) will become the ruler of Lotharingia but remain in the HRE.

Your best bet is to sow dissent in the empire and cause a rebellion, if anyone succeeds it will lower the emperor's authority.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Nobody Interesting posted:

I outright uninstalled Sunset Invasion. If it hadn't come in a bundle I would have never bought it.

Is there a way to prevent steam from ever redownloading it? It hasn't so far, but I don't want to miss it coming back during a patch or something.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

RON PAUL ALL YEARS posted:

I outright uninstalled Sunset Invasion. If it hadn't come in a bundle I would have never bought it.

Is there a way to prevent steam from ever redownloading it? It hasn't so far, but I don't want to miss it coming back during a patch or something.

Not tested it but it should work:

Open the \DLC\ subfolder. There's a bunch of .zip and .dlc (text) files. Find the .zip containing the Sunset Invasion assets; I'm guessing it should be #18 since it's one of the few I don't have. Replace it with an empty archive, then set that file to read-only.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
If you uncheck it in the launcher, it should stay unchecked. I trust that more than hoping Steam doesn't decide you have a corrupt file and redownloads it.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

NihilCredo posted:

Not tested it but it should work:

Open the \DLC\ subfolder. There's a bunch of .zip and .dlc (text) files. Find the .zip containing the Sunset Invasion assets; I'm guessing it should be #18 since it's one of the few I don't have. Replace it with an empty archive, then set that file to read-only.

Thanks!

elf help book posted:

If you uncheck it in the launcher, it should stay unchecked. I trust that more than hoping Steam doesn't decide you have a corrupt file and redownloads it.

It doesn't seem to work for the Mac version :(

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

RON PAUL ALL YEARS posted:

It doesn't seem to work for the Mac version :(

Or Linux. But that's okay, set the launch option -exclude_dlc=dlc/dlc018.dlc.

Nobody Interesting fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 4, 2013

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

DStecks posted:

Am I missing something, or do you seriously need to hold the Kingdom of Egypt to form the Empire of Abyssinia? Everything else was all in place, then I go to the title window, and it turns out I need to hold loving Egypt, even though it is in no way a de jure part of the Empire. What gives?

Some of the smaller empires (Abyssinia, Mali, Italia) have extra kingdom requirements to keep them from being too easy to form.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Allyn posted:

I don't get it, why wait? Children born in the purple get prioritised in succession, so if your son has 3 kids before becoming emperor, the first one born after he becomes emperor will instantly be the heir. Of course you could end up with the first born being a grey eminence and the first one born in the purple being an imbecile but that's always a risk no matter how you do it. The sooner you have kids the sooner you secure the succession. Or are you running elective or something?

I'm running primogeniture. Presumably you'd wait if you value BitP as a trait and want your future ruler (that is, your heir's heir) to have it. Using BitP/Despot as an ersatz elective law is very attractive, but the chances are vastly increased that you'll end up with a heir that's not BitP, either because no sons are born post-succession or because you choose a better non-BitP heir with Despot.

(Of course, waiting to marry heirs can also be nice from the standpoint of stability, because it increases the distance between generations, and thus produces longer reigns with fewer succession crises and short-reign penalties.)

There is a risk to this, of course, but with primogeniture you're still safe as long as the ruler has other sons who are already married and producing children. If the favored heir dies childless because you were waiting to marry him off, another of your sons will succeed. Granted, if your ruler only has one son, it's a no-brainer - marry him now for the kids. If the succession's not in danger, however, it seems at least plausible that you might delay heir marriage if you wanted a BitP heir.

I'm not sure it's worth it given the advantages of Despot heir selection, but I can at least see some merit in waiting if your succession is already secure. It's a nice trait.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Reveilled posted:

The Basques used Absolute Cognatic succession, and as a general rule nobody else did. Doesn't really make sense why therefore it should be restricted to Basques instead of just being the case that the Basques start with it and others can switch, but sometimes game developers make weird decisions that don't make sense.

Probably to prevent howls of 'it's AHISTORICAL' outrage when AI kingdoms switched over. Seems silly to restrict that with all the other changes you can make to how your dynasty runs things.

The tides of fate turned against me in my Wales game where a faction plotted to put my guy on the throne of England. All was well until he died having sex with his wife, and France declared war on his successor for territory in Normandy. Once we were well stuck in to the fight over there, literally every lord in England joined a revolt to put the Plantagenets on the throne. They had crazy amounts of troops popping up so I just surrendered it. For now, at least, I get to keep Normandy and some lands in Scotland I didn't have before!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

evenworse username posted:

Probably to prevent howls of 'it's AHISTORICAL' outrage when AI kingdoms switched over. Seems silly to restrict that with all the other changes you can make to how your dynasty runs things.

It ought to just be available to everyone, but have a ai will do = NO flag. :colbert:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Glass Hand posted:

I'm running primogeniture. Presumably you'd wait if you value BitP as a trait and want your future ruler (that is, your heir's heir) to have it. Using BitP/Despot as an ersatz elective law is very attractive, but the chances are vastly increased that you'll end up with a heir that's not BitP, either because no sons are born post-succession or because you choose a better non-BitP heir with Despot.

(Of course, waiting to marry heirs can also be nice from the standpoint of stability, because it increases the distance between generations, and thus produces longer reigns with fewer succession crises and short-reign penalties.)

There is a risk to this, of course, but with primogeniture you're still safe as long as the ruler has other sons who are already married and producing children. If the favored heir dies childless because you were waiting to marry him off, another of your sons will succeed. Granted, if your ruler only has one son, it's a no-brainer - marry him now for the kids. If the succession's not in danger, however, it seems at least plausible that you might delay heir marriage if you wanted a BitP heir.

I'm not sure it's worth it given the advantages of Despot heir selection, but I can at least see some merit in waiting if your succession is already secure. It's a nice trait.

Is your point about delaying it so you can marry someone as young as possible upon getting into power or something? I don't really get it otherwise. Your son's gonna be just as likely to pop out kids at 45 having just become the Emperor whether he's been married for 20 years or for 0. And if your wife is now 45 too, it's not exactly difficult to stab and remarry anyway. If I can find someone with outstanding traits I never really bother waiting. :shobon:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Marry your heir when he's in his 30s to a 16-20 year old lady. That way, even if you die of old age it's reasonably likely he'll get kids both not Born in the Purple and Born in the Purple and you can choose any of the older sons or the first Born in the Purple son at will - if BitP is valuable to you then you'll obviously be willing to sacrifice a certain amount of stats for it, but if all of the BitP sons suck then you have freedom to ignore it. This is if you're averse to stabbing wives of course.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Allyn posted:

Is your point about delaying it so you can marry someone as young as possible upon getting into power or something? I don't really get it otherwise. Your son's gonna be just as likely to pop out kids at 45 having just become the Emperor whether he's been married for 20 years or for 0. And if your wife is now 45 too, it's not exactly difficult to stab and remarry anyway. If I can find someone with outstanding traits I never really bother waiting. :shobon:

Fair enough. I guess I tend not to "stab and remarry" very often; a boatload of sons eventually becomes a boatload of brothers, which is just fuel for factions and invasions. Or maybe it's because all my dynasty's wives seem to have inordinately high intrigue. :ohdear:

evenworse username posted:

I don't know how CK2+ does it, but in PB at least, it's set up so that if you're not Basque you can still switch to AbCog if you have a female ruler who has certain traits (diligent or ambitious, IIRC) and one of the "good" nicknames (the wise, the good, the great, the holy, etc). I've never used AbCog but that at least makes it doable if you can manage to get a good woman on the throne for a while, while setting the bar too high for the AI to realistically achieve (for people who would be outraged by the "AHISTORICAL" issue).

Glass Hand fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 4, 2013

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Glass Hand posted:

I don't know how CK2+ does it, but in PB at least, it's set up so that if you're not Basque you can still switch to AbCog if you have a female ruler who has certain traits (diligent or ambitious, IIRC) and one of the "good" nicknames (the wise, the good, the great, the holy, etc). I've never used AbCog but that at least makes it doable if you can manage to get a good woman on the throne for a while, while setting the bar too high for the AI to realistically achieve (for people who would be outraged by the "AHISTORICAL" issue).

It's really a holdover from CK1, which had the same Basque culture limitation on Absolute Cognatic and was from the era of weird coding kludges like that. I doubt anyone at Paradox even rethought it before putting it back in to be honest.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 4, 2013

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If you want to cheese it, you can marry a Basque woman, then make sure she educates the heir, most of the time he'll end up with Basque culture. Just make sure that his heir is brought up as your native culture, and boom, absolute cognatic succession, wherever you want. You'll have a few decades of penalty to leader relations, but you only need one culturally Basque ruler to make the switch permanently.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jazerus posted:

It's really a holdover from CK1, which had the same Basque culture limitation on Absolute Cognatic and was from the era of weird coding kludges like that. I doubt anyone at Paradox even rethought it before putting it back in to be honest.

CK1 actually required executable hacking to implement absolute-cognatic laws at all, as I recall - there was a hard core of modders that worked like dogs to find a way to do it, however buggy their solution turned out to be. There were no culture restrictions on any of the other succession laws as I remember, and women could occasionally inherit under semi-salic laws but it was never entirely a good thing since they would absolutely never accept any marriage proposals at all (among other weirdness) so....

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

CK1 actually required executable hacking to implement absolute-cognatic laws at all, as I recall - there was a hard core of modders that worked like dogs to find a way to do it, however buggy their solution turned out to be. There were no culture restrictions on any of the other succession laws as I remember, and women could occasionally inherit under semi-salic laws but it was never entirely a good thing since they would absolutely never accept any marriage proposals at all (among other weirdness) so....

I could have sworn there was some Basque culture female succession stuff in a fully DVIPed and executable-hacked install of CK1 but maybe I'm just thinking of the early days of CK2 instead. I guess that would make it even weirder as a holdover though if Paradox had taken the idea from a mod.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
I'm thinking Sunset will end up being fun in my Zoroastrian duke game. After all the poo poo I'm going to have to fight through it is only fair. :)

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Has anyone done like an actual in-depth experiment and breakdown of how the genetics work in the game? The wikis I looked at all have the same text copied around. I'm getting frustrated by the apparent complete randomness of inheritance. Double geniuses really should beget more than 1 genius child out of 11!

I picked up the game again and just want to play Noble Pokemans. I'm up to three generations of geniuses and the last two are also burly as heck as well! I'm not sure I can even add anything more positive so I'm just going to shoot for more generations.

Or just breed harelipped dwarfs until I can get one onto the throne of Britannia.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Synnr posted:

Has anyone done like an actual in-depth experiment and breakdown of how the genetics work in the game? The wikis I looked at all have the same text copied around. I'm getting frustrated by the apparent complete randomness of inheritance. Double geniuses really should beget more than 1 genius child out of 11!

I picked up the game again and just want to play Noble Pokemans. I'm up to three generations of geniuses and the last two are also burly as heck as well! I'm not sure I can even add anything more positive so I'm just going to shoot for more generations.

Or just breed harelipped dwarfs until I can get one onto the throne of Britannia.

You're actually better off getting a Genius and a Quick Wife since according to a Wiz comment at one point both parents having the same trait would offset. So if it was a 5% chance to inherit both parents with the same trait would cause it to be 0% but it would be a 5% chance for Quick and 5% Genius. This may have changed at some point. Or it might have been a part of his homebrew genetic system he had in CK2Plus. Honestly I can't remember.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

YouTuber posted:

You're actually better off getting a Genius and a Quick Wife since according to a Wiz comment at one point both parents having the same trait would offset. So if it was a 5% chance to inherit both parents with the same trait would cause it to be 0% but it would be a 5% chance for Quick and 5% Genius. This may have changed at some point. Or it might have been a part of his homebrew genetic system he had in CK2Plus. Honestly I can't remember.

That is definitely not what happens, neither in Vanilla nor in Ck2+.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I feel dumb for having to ask this question, but I realised I don't actually know the precise answer:

If Duke John of Toulouse, vassal to the king of France, is married to Duchess Jane of Bedford, vassal to the king of England, and they have only one son, how exactly does the game decide whether the future Duke Jim of Toulouse and Bedford will be a French or English vassal?

I just assumed that it would depend on whichever parent dies first, but I'm now in a game where that question actually matters so I'd prefer to be sure. (Plus, thinking about it, it would be a little silly if that was really the deciding factor.)

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Jazerus posted:

I could have sworn there was some Basque culture female succession stuff in a fully DVIPed and executable-hacked install of CK1 but maybe I'm just thinking of the early days of CK2 instead. I guess that would make it even weirder as a holdover though if Paradox had taken the idea from a mod.

This is the closest I remember them coming, if you really want to read about it. Basically, they couldn't quite get it, but they managed an approximation by exploiting how the game recognized invalid succession laws and by cannibalizing one of the church laws to serve as an extra succession law.

The biggest obstacle to female rulership in CK1, though, was that without matrilineal marriage, a female ruler doomed you to game over (or the notorious "country cousin") unless you intermarried with your own dynasty.

I've never tried Absolute Cognatic in CK2 because it seems like it would limit your alliance prospects; if females stand to inherit just like males, I assume you would have to marry more of your daughters matrilineally to be on the safe side, and it's hard to get a good alliance with matrilineal marriage. (Also, I imagine it doesn't help gavelkind much.)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

I feel dumb for having to ask this question, but I realised I don't actually know the precise answer:

If Duke John of Toulouse, vassal to the king of France, is married to Duchess Jane of Bedford, vassal to the king of England, and they have only one son, how exactly does the game decide whether the future Duke Jim of Toulouse and Bedford will be a French or English vassal?

I just assumed that it would depend on whichever parent dies first, but I'm now in a game where that question actually matters so I'd prefer to be sure. (Plus, thinking about it, it would be a little silly if that was really the deciding factor.)

If Jim is unlanded, it is indeed whoever dies first.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

DStecks posted:

If you want to cheese it, you can marry a Basque woman, then make sure she educates the heir, most of the time he'll end up with Basque culture. Just make sure that his heir is brought up as your native culture, and boom, absolute cognatic succession, wherever you want. You'll have a few decades of penalty to leader relations, but you only need one culturally Basque ruler to make the switch permanently.

Also if you want a mod a goon here (Allyn maybe?) created one that allows all the successions, even the unused enatic ones so you could have a matriarchal society.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

YouTuber posted:

Now I know the 0% thing can't be true, since I've been breeding like to like in large numbers to accomplish my goals so far, but I've definitely gotten geniuses out of genius/genius pairs. They just don't seems like they breed true at any rate particularly higher than from normal stock. I haven't actually seen a quick and genius trait on the same person naturally, aren't they just part of a sliding scale? Like you can't be an imbecile and a genius at the same time? Maybe I misunderstood traits. I'll have to cheat in some traits and gold on another save and see if I can get then to show up together!

I've also been attempting to breed loyal servants of the Imperium, families most suitable to fill my steward, marshall, etc slots. So far, a bit of hybridization with bastards, 4/5th sons and excess daughters of the royal line has added some useful stuff to the pool, but as always the Best people insist on filling some of the slots anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Synnr posted:

Now I know the 0% thing can't be true, since I've been breeding like to like in large numbers to accomplish my goals so far, but I've definitely gotten geniuses out of genius/genius pairs. They just don't seems like they breed true at any rate particularly higher than from normal stock. I haven't actually seen a quick and genius trait on the same person naturally, aren't they just part of a sliding scale? Like you can't be an imbecile and a genius at the same time? Maybe I misunderstood traits. I'll have to cheat in some traits and gold on another save and see if I can get then to show up together!

I've also been attempting to breed loyal servants of the Imperium, families most suitable to fill my steward, marshall, etc slots. So far, a bit of hybridization with bastards, 4/5th sons and excess daughters of the royal line has added some useful stuff to the pool, but as always the Best people insist on filling some of the slots anyway.

He means that a Genius/Quick pairing will be more likely to yield either a genius or a quick kid, not that Genius and Quick can coexist (they can't). I don't remember how CK2+ trait genetics works now off the top of my head but that may be true as it's very different from vanilla and trait eugenics is considerably harder.

• Locked thread