Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Motronic posted:

Two very obvious and very common scenarios:
- They are calling long distance and using an OTT service to do so because cell carrier international rates are often terrible

Pretty much this one. Calling through our partner's VoIP with unlimited long distance, etc. to places all over the US. Also business work, personal phone, etc etc. Its not an employee, its a customer of ours, so, yeah. At least he understood when I explained it to him. I think. Who knows, maybe he'll call someone else about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Volmarias posted:

Every ticket must be in the form of a haiku.

home backups too long
add second LTO drive
holy crap! It's done?

poo poo not pissing me off: Just upgraded my backup server from my venerable Dell PowerVault 110T LTO-2 tape unit to a PV 114T with a pair of LTO-3 drives. Stuck a blank tape in both and came back five hours later and the job with verify was done.

It's the little things these days...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mugrim posted:

I was kind of confused at this point, and he then went on to tell me that in the 7 years he has worked with this company, not one person has used that packet to set up their station. They are all given it, but when they're told the IT guy will be by later to check it out, they don't even try to follow the screen capped guide literally showing you EXACTLY what to do.

The IT guy and I have been awesome friends since, and I now show people how to actually write tickets because so many refused to do anything but call him.

God bless America.
This is surprisingly commonplace. I spent many many hours setting up new hire intro packets and the company eventually stopped even buying the fancy company-logo binders they were put in, because they didn't get used and you'd often find them in the trash at a new hire's desk.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

coyo7e posted:

This is surprisingly commonplace. I spent many many hours setting up new hire intro packets and the company eventually stopped even buying the fancy company-logo binders they were put in, because they didn't get used and you'd often find them in the trash at a new hire's desk.

I would have loved a packet that said all three stuff I needed to do after starting my current job. They had just been purchased less than a year prior and no one really knew the new on boarding procedures.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Agrikk posted:

home backups too long
add second LTO drive
holy crap! It's done?

poo poo not pissing me off: Just upgraded my backup server from my venerable Dell PowerVault 110T LTO-2 tape unit to a PV 114T with a pair of LTO-3 drives. Stuck a blank tape in both and came back five hours later and the job with verify was done.

It's the little things these days...

Lto3, stepping up to the early 2000s! We're fortunate enough to have 5 LTO5 drives but we never compress crap because hp data protector is absolute crap and slowly kills me everyday.

namol fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 4, 2013

bort
Mar 13, 2003

It's cloud technology. TaaS.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

gently caress HP switches

1) LACP trunk works
2) erase switch
3) LACP will not come up on either ports (same config as before wipe)
4) erase switch
5) LACP will only come up on one link (out of two) (same config yet again)
6) erase switch
7) LACP works on both links (same config as 1))

:wtc:

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

namol posted:

Lto3, stepping up to the early 2000s! We're fortunate enough to have 5 LTO5 drives but we never compress crap because hp data protector is absolute crap and slowly kills me everyday.

I am so glad that where I work now we have a Backblaze chassis (nicknamed the "data barge") filled with SATA drives all unioned together into an md array of unholy size, instead of tape, that we send all our nearline backups to (in addition to S3 for Stuff That Really Matters). If I never have to touch a tape drive for the rest of my life, it'll still be too soon.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

rscott posted:

I sure do love troubleshooting wireless network bridges with no loving documentation whatsoever

This is my entire job, but covering remote offices in an entire county. As the sole IT guy, with nothing from a former contractor documenting anything. This poo poo is a loving mess.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

18 Character Limit posted:

Monoprice cables,
Because none here want to crimp.
Why still in transit?

Want next day shipping?
Move out to California
Oops, raped by taxes.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
A ticket came in: "Help please internet is up or down"

poo poo, maybe I should escalate this. I'm not at a level where I can deal with Schrödinger's internet.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

DGK2000 posted:

This is my entire job, but covering remote offices in an entire county. As the sole IT guy, with nothing from a former contractor documenting anything. This poo poo is a loving mess.

I had a job like that.

60,000 miles a year travelling between sites in my own loving car, 4 or 5 overnight stays a week, and a full day on site fixing poo poo before another 2-8 hour drive to the next site. Constant firefighting since there was never any time to actually improve anything. Then many a weekend spent making sure that one of my cars would last another week. Not helped by many of the sites being in sketchy areas so in my time there I had 3 cars stolen and a few vandalised.

I didn't document poo poo either, and I feel no shame in having done so since there simply wasn't time due to the ridiculous working conditions. I'd been telling them for years they needed two of me if things were to improve, they did nothing, eventually I quit and the place went bankrupt six months later.

My code was all nicely written and well commented but nobody else there knew much beyond reboot it and try again.

Lum fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 4, 2013

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

bort posted:

It's cloud technology. TaaS.

I read that as butt technology, and I don't even have that plugin installed here...

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

"It's my butt technology. TaaS"

Turds and a Shitter?
Turds as a Service?
Testicles and a Scrotum?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yay! After months of waiting all of our branch locations are finally free of the pure awfulness that is Frontier Communications.

I was kind of disappointed the agent didn't even bother to ask why we where canceling.... They must know already.

Their network really is horrible and overloaded in places. We had 2 locations that supposedly had DSL at 7Mbps/1Mbps. The modems did sync at that, however it never got above 1.5Mbps. Depending on the time of day it could drop below 500kbps. Calling to try and get it fixed, their customer service would lie to end the phone call as soon as possible; "A tech will be out to look at it", "We will send you a new modem", etc... Only to call back and be told there was no record of the previous call and nothing is wrong. And this was on a multiple location business account. I have to wonder if residential support is even worse...

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Lum posted:

60,000 miles a year travelling between sites in my own loving car

Please tell me you got covered for mileage.

I work for a large University (in the top 10 largest in the US). Yesterday, I came into work and had been CC'ed in on a complaint about our Moodle environment that had started with a professor e-mailing the President of the University. Needless to say, that complaint trickled down to every possibly related group from every manager vaguely in touch with that group.

The actual problem was that the 8 web servers that handle our Moodle had Apache MaxClients dialed down to 10 because I had grabbed our test server configs as a starting point for the production configs and didn't realize my coworker had dicked around with the MPM prefork settings. So each web server was able to handle about 10 requests at any given time, needless to say this made our performance blow chunks on the first day of the semester. The problem took 5 minutes to fix, but the rest of the day to field questions about.

One of the questions that got asked was "Why did your teams monitoring catch this?" To which my only response could be "Well, I asked one of the new guys to take care of the monitoring and I guess I didn't hand hold him enough because none of the nodes were defined in the production monitoring environment and the checks he had defined in the test environment are fundamentally flawed so that they always fail."

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

captkirk posted:

Please tell me you got covered for mileage.

Cost of petrol only.

I also had sales-rep style standards to adher to re: age and appearance of car, which I basically ignored and instead mostly ran knackered old 80s/90s Volvos or VWs, keeping the nice car only for trips to the office or to site when I knew other staff would be there.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

stevewm posted:

Frontier shitfest :words:

I have to wonder if residential support is even worse...

From everything I've heard through friends that are subjected to their awfulness, it's much worse.

AT&T's tech + Time Warner's Customer Service + Sprint's cellular backhaul = The Frontier Experience (tm), from what I've been able to gather.

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

Lum posted:

Cost of petrol only.

I also had sales-rep style standards to adher to re: age and appearance of car, which I basically ignored and instead mostly ran knackered old 80s/90s Volvos or VWs, keeping the nice car only for trips to the office or to site when I knew other staff would be there.

Sounds exactly like my previous job. Unreasonably high standards for the car were coupled with zero reimbursement for maintenance or car related expenses. I like to document my work but when there's 15 minutes scheduled between each ticket (and anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours between sites) it's simply not worth it.

For content: has anyone used a decent ticketing system? If so, what's it like? I've been on the receiving end of AutoTask, ConnectWise and "just use email." None of them had any kind of worth as far as I could tell.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

coyo7e posted:

That's just super entitled and lazy. I get if you try and fail (kind of...i mean it was screen capped), but the idea of just not doing the first task given at a new job perplexes me. Like in my managers shoes I would have to write someone up or even fire them for that kind of laziness because if you can't perform the first task given at a new job with an illustrated book showing you how, it's maybe time to cut bait.

I mean we handle hundreds of thousands of social security numbers, addresses, medical information, the kind of stuff that you really have to be careful with. We are doing it with a two person IT team and their time is extremely valuable considering the complexity and security of the operation.

I've worked underpaid non-profits and blue collar work/mcjobs all my life, is this really how entitled white collar America is?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

mugrim posted:

I've worked underpaid non-profits and blue collar work/mcjobs all my life, is this really how entitled white collar America is?

However entitled you believe them to be based on this story, the reality is far worse.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Ticket #37: So youve spent 7 hours working out 5 issues I reported, but the one you told me only otherit can handle still doesnt work!!!

Yes you have to talk to otherit.

Call from Otherit FLS: Your PC, your problem, stop redirecting them back to us!!!!!!!!

You run SAP, right? Its failing to tell our software about whatever the user is looking for. Have you checked if the uset is supposed to even see it?

Ok I will direct this to our SAP crew. You really should have access to our ticket system so you dont have to forward them :downs:

We have been trying to get access to write them tickets for a year... He said he'd rise it at the next IT meeting for the hospital. My :10bux: is on nothing will happen.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I had to leave the house late today but right before I left an email came in (no ticket of course, my boss CC'ed on) from an EA. Then a phone call.

"The C*O's laptop is down will not boot." Phone call was much the same.

So I'm already 30 mins late getting in and I'm rushing around getting ready, driving fast to get there.

She hands me this old T60, I think it strange an exec has a T60 (but he is from another office) I haven't seen one since 2009, nope, it's just the EA's old laptop she keeps around to login AS him to handle stuff a few things that are a bit easier for her to do for him on a laptop separate from her normal one.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 4, 2013

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

AlexDeGruven posted:

From everything I've heard through friends that are subjected to their awfulness, it's much worse.

AT&T's tech + Time Warner's Customer Service + Sprint's cellular backhaul = The Frontier Experience (tm), from what I've been able to gather.

I used to have residential DSL through Frontier. Support wasn't... terrible, just typical of a level 1 following-the-script helpdesk. The terrible part came from the service, which would go down all the time. The worst was a few weekends ago when the core router serving a large chunk of rural Pennsylvania died Thursday night and it took them until the next Monday to get it back online. No ETA, and no indication that anything was wrong anywhere unless you called support and asked.

I've since moved and now I get RCN which at least sounds better than Frontier.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

hihifellow posted:

..... No ETA, and no indication that anything was wrong anywhere unless you called support and asked.....

Same experience here, however support was always the last to know. I would have 3 branches down at the same time (they are all located in the same area, going through the same "core") and Frontier support would argue there wasn't anything wrong, even more than 30 minutes after the outage started.

They really are bottom of the barrel. Other than Verizon Wireless, I have never really had great service from any telecom company. Its like there is a unwritten rule that they must have bad customer service.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Lum posted:

Turds as a Service?

*snerk!*

Glad I've finished my coffee.

That's one way of floating on a cloud.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

stevewm posted:

They really are bottom of the barrel. Other than Verizon Wireless, I have never really had great service from any telecom company. Its like there is a unwritten rule that they must have bad customer service.

The problem is that they are a PUC, so if they admit to a problem they could get fined. If it takes to long to fix an issue, they could get fined. So you have a situation where they do not want to admit there is anything wrong (but try it now) and if the world is on fire they want to delay the start time of the incident as soon as possible.

And of course their is the fact that customer service is there to hide the fact that they are not servicing their customers, but that is another rant.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I am sick and loving tired of printer issues. What in the gently caress makes you think it's okay for a Business Inkjet 2800 to use the loving driver for a loving Color Inkjet cp1700?

I found a ~secret driver~ on HP's ftp site, from HP's support forums, from a bunch of people who were having the same issues we were having, but we can't use that driver because it might be a "local only" driver, which won't work unless the printer is connected via USB. What in the gently caress

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 4, 2013

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

SubjectVerbObject posted:

The problem is that they are a PUC, so if they admit to a problem they could get fined. If it takes to long to fix an issue, they could get fined. So you have a situation where they do not want to admit there is anything wrong (but try it now) and if the world is on fire they want to delay the start time of the incident as soon as possible.

And of course their is the fact that customer service is there to hide the fact that they are not servicing their customers, but that is another rant.

That explains why the start time of the incident always jumped to the morning I called every time I asked about it.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

anthonypants posted:

I am sick and loving tired of printer issues. What in the gently caress makes you think it's okay for a Business Inkjet 2800 to use the loving driver for a loving Color Inkjet cp1700?

You should have your boss and facilities guys BAN personal printers. Mine did little over a year ago. It's been wonderful. :smug:

I'll never forget the sight of a PM walking around the floor with a big cart like the "bring out your dead" guy seizing everyone's inkjets and LJ2100s.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 4, 2013

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wagonburner posted:

You should have your boss and facilities guys BAN personal printers. Mine did little over a year ago. It's been wonderful. :smug:

I'll never forget the sight of a PM walking around the floor with a big cart like the "bring out your dead" guy seizing everyone's inkjets and LJ2100s.
These aren't personal printers.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

These aren't personal printers.

You should ban inkjets too.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I mean personal-sized printers, people didn't bring them from home. Surely these aren't networked? Please tell me they're not.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lum posted:

You should ban inkjets too.
Yeah, we should. The color laserjets are probably too expensive :downs:

Wagonburner posted:

I mean personal-sized printers, people didn't bring them from home. Surely these aren't networked? Please tell me they're not.
Okay, I won't.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
My daily dose of "you've got to be loving kidding me"

that's a tic tac

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

pr0digal posted:

that's a tic tac

I actually sympathize with this. I had to get a grain of rice of the charging port on my tablet a few qweeks ago.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

pr0digal posted:

that's a tic tac

but.. I just wanted to install Mint.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh good, my first idea of what it was was correct.

Lum posted:

but.. I just wanted to install Mint.

:golfclap:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

captkirk posted:

I actually sympathize with this. I had to get a grain of rice of the charging port on my tablet a few qweeks ago.

I've had someone shove a CD above the slimline drive on a Dell XPS (I guess they didn't push it down into the spindle hard enough for it to "snap") then get blamed for losing the only CD we had for a very pricy software package.

It was only when that computer kept having issues "when tilted", as in, the laptop would run normally, when I tested it it worked, took it back to the boss and it wouldn't boot. Took it back to my desk and it booted perfectly, went back to him with it on right that instant to show him I wasn't crazy and it turns off the second I put it on his desk.

The cause: A loving STAPLE DANCING AROUND THE MOTHERBOARD.

I had to open it up and o hey there's a CD on top of the slimline!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

pr0digal posted:

that's a tic tac
Good, now i don't need to test it myself, i KNOW it fits.

The last week or so i've been in an absolute lovely mood when i come in to work, i hope this is just temporary..

I still get tasked with "find the best price for a good pc/printer/phone/scanner/*" and that is some of the worst things i get to deal with, i don't know what's good. Even if i find something, in 75% of the cases it either ends with "oh never mind we'll buy it in a few months" or "hm no this isn't good enough, why not this instead" from my boss.

• Locked thread