Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

THE LUMMOX posted:

Yeah I know that, but what about food coming from that region?

You'll probably be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

THE LUMMOX posted:

Yeah I know that, but what about food coming from that region?

Considering all the people that still live in Fukushima and the fact they haven't died from radiation poisoning from eating food I think you'll manage to survive your trip to a place that is not Fukushima.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
I'm not asking if I'm going to be okay. I wouldn't be going if I thought I was going to die and obviously everyone in Japan hasn't died because of it.

Specifically I am asking about radiation levels in Fukushima food and if there are any sites that monitor it?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

THE LUMMOX posted:

I'm not asking if I'm going to be okay. I wouldn't be going if I thought I was going to die and obviously everyone in Japan hasn't died because of it.

Specifically I am asking about radiation levels in Fukushima food and if there are any sites that monitor it?

I'd say it's about a 4 or 5, on a bad day maybe a 7

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

LimburgLimbo posted:

I'd say it's about a 4 or 5, on a bad day maybe a 7

I had no idea it was that bad. I've heard some things about 2.5 but are you saying we are seeing double that?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ned posted:

I had no idea it was that bad. I've heard some things about 2.5 but are you saying we are seeing double that?

The governments been saying it's a 1 most of the time, but NaturalNews has been saying an 11. I don't know who to trust anymore.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
If you average it that's about a 5 or so.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

Shibawanko posted:

There seem to be no traffic rules for bikes in Japan, or if they exist, people tend to not be aware of them or they ignore them. Nobody cares about right of way or anything like that, they think of a bike as basically a pedestrian with wheels and drive them on the sidewalk.

I rented a bike in Kyoto and Okinawa though and just cycled on the road, keeping left and giving way to cars since they don't give a poo poo about bikes. It went fine.

There are indeed rules for cyclists, if you ever study for a drivers license you will find them. Its that no one gives a poo poo.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Hey I haven't read the thread but I'm coming over in a couple of weeks and I hear it's literally fallout 4 over there. Which parts of Tokyo are full of bloatflies instead of Mirelurks?

I'm... I'm pretty sure I can deal with bloatflies.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
I can't wait for Zo to see all this bike chat and correct you all. You're all about to be owned.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

If you average it that's about a 5 or so.

"The answer is somewhere in between" right :rolleyes:

South Park Libertarians get out, this is serious business

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Where's the very very very best place to ski in Japan and when does the ski season start and can I get US size 13 boots?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Niseko in Hokkaido or Hakuba in Nagano stand out in my mind.

I know people have had fun at Minakami, but I don't know if it's the "very very very best."

US 13? Dubious. I have problems finding good-fitting US 10 1/2 stuff.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Seconding Niseko, it's time for me to buy another Hirafu t-shirt! I haven't been in 5 years :smith: so I will be itching to go again. Last time I been, there were more and more Aussies setting shop, I suspect there would be more Aussies nowadays, so maybe you can find something?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Depends on how we define best. Niseko has consistently great snow quality, massive backcountry, and it's easily gaijin accessible.
But culturally doesn't feel like Japan at all. As of 2012, basically everything is by Aussies for Aussies. A lot of it even owned by Aussies.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

zmcnulty posted:

Depends on how we define best. Niseko has consistently great snow quality, massive backcountry, and it's easily gaijin accessible.
But culturally doesn't feel like Japan at all. As of 2012, basically everything is by Aussies for Aussies. A lot of it even owned by Aussies.

We are Legion.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Bloodnose posted:

Where's the very very very best place to ski in Japan and when does the ski season start and can I get US size 13 boots?

I think a lot of places will at least have up to 30cm. The 'standard' is up to about 28cm but places that go a little bigger do exist so you should hopefully be covered. I have UK 12 (approx US 13) feet too and though things were a bit hit and miss (and expensive), I could rent decent boots in both Naeba and Shiga Kogen.

Me_Game
May 21, 2010

Alas, poor Johnny! I knew him, Mark, a fellow of infinite greetings, of most questionable fancy. He hath pet me on my head a thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is! My dick rises at it.
This bike talk is interesting, considering we were planning on renting some in Kyoto. We were thinking the straighter streets (compared to Tokyo) and occasional road names would make it slightly easier to navigate there but maybe we'll play it by ear and see how it goes.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Me_Game posted:

This bike talk is interesting, considering we were planning on renting some in Kyoto. We were thinking the straighter streets (compared to Tokyo) and occasional road names would make it slightly easier to navigate there but maybe we'll play it by ear and see how it goes.

I did that, it was easy. Just get a sense of cardinal directions and it's easy to find anything.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Shibawanko posted:

I did that, it was easy. Just get a sense of cardinal directions and it's easy to find anything.

See that LUMMOX! Vindication, now let's get bikes.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Shibawanko posted:

In Kyoto that is easy. South is the direction with no mountains.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I'll be in Kyoto for a few days and I'd like to eat the best kaiseki in the world. I've narrowed it down to Kikunoi Honten (the one in Gyon-Maruyama) or Hyotei Honten. They both look beautiful and are 3 Michelin starred, just wondering if anyone had any opinions that would break the tie. Thanks!

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
What are the best shopping areas/buildings accessible by foot from Tokyo station ? (for cheapish clothes a la UNIQLO, Japanese food things, electronics, whatever, I need to spend an afternoon there)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Any train platform.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Spatule posted:

What are the best shopping areas/buildings accessible by foot from Tokyo station ? (for cheapish clothes a la UNIQLO, Japanese food things, electronics, whatever, I need to spend an afternoon there)

Why by foot? If you take the Yamanote you can get to any number of decent places around Ueno or Akihabara, just two and four stations away, respectively.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Spatule posted:

You can walk to Ginza from Tokyo Station and they have the biggest UNIQLO around as well as electronic stores and lots of restaurants.

Dmoz
Dec 3, 2005
Ad Hominem

Ned posted:

You can walk to Ginza from Tokyo Station and they have the biggest UNIQLO around as well as electronic stores and lots of restaurants.

Don't forget the giant LoFT in Yurakucho? I think?

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

Nostrum posted:

I'll be in Kyoto for a few days and I'd like to eat the best kaiseki in the world. I've narrowed it down to Kikunoi Honten (the one in Gyon-Maruyama) or Hyotei Honten. They both look beautiful and are 3 Michelin starred, just wondering if anyone had any opinions that would break the tie. Thanks!

According to http://images.businessweek.com/ss/07/12/1227_japanese_restaurants/index_01.htm, the best kaiseki restaraunt in the world is in Tokyo, so you shouldn't worry too much whatever you choose.

Incidentally, I've actually been to Hamadaya, and my advice for any fancy kaiseki restaurant... don't bother. I found the food indistinguishable from the kaiseki meals served at nice ryokans (say $200+ night pp). My advice would be to stay at a fancy Ryokan in Kyoto, and enjoy the dinner there. The food will be identical unless you are used to having kaiseki meals every day and have a critic's taste. The ryokan will be more cost effective, and you can eat in your yukata, then relax in the onsen immediately before/after eating.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Thanks be to zmcnulty for his efforts a week ago. Good guy, good guide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asahi_Beer_Hall

"It is noted for the Asahi Flame, an enormous golden structure at the top, said to represent both the 'burning heart of Asahi beer' and a frothy head"

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Ned posted:

There's also Ito-ya which is like the stationery nerd's wet dream come true if you're into that.

I brought a friend who very distinctly wasn't a stationery nerd there once and she enjoyed it too, so YMMV.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ah, I wondered what the gently caress that thing was. It looked like some sort of carrot-dildo from where I saw.

Dmoz
Dec 3, 2005
Ad Hominem

Grand Fromage posted:

Ah, I wondered what the gently caress that thing was. It looked like some sort of carrot-dildo from where I saw.

Pretty sure it's nicknamed the golden turd...

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

I used to live near that thing and everyone thought it looked like a sperm, never heard turd before.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
E: Nevermind, actually.

orenji
Oct 12, 2009
edit: Sorry, I changed my mind.

orenji fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 9, 2013

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

orenji posted:

Hi, this is a crosspost from the SA Mart. I'm looking for help with the translation of one word... I hope you guys don't mind me posting here, but I thought I'd appeal to your collective knowledge...

I need an English name "translated" into Katakana, and a one word translation into either hiragana or Kanji (I'm thinking Kanji).
I'll pay an extra $5 if you can also translate this into Chinese Characters (where are all the SE Asian scholars)?

The word I want translated is "homegirl", in a slang way - more specifically, between two women. Think gang... think prison gang.
If you can do that, then the Katakana part will obviously be a walk in the park, and we can PM about it.

Will paypal the translator.

edit: I've come up with this

(name) は 親友です

or

(name) は マブダチです

Anyone who gives that a serious translation I will personally find and punch in the throat. This a golden opportunity to mess with an absolute fuckwit.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 9, 2013

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

熟女, the answer is 熟女

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
外人

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

安部

Adbot