Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
having seen 7 greaters drop in the last 3 nights i'm gonna say that farming gh5s with 4 people is the best way to farm greaters, gently caress strongholds. the godcomp seems to be warlord tank + defiler + 2 dps, put each dps and the warlord on a conduit while the defiler runs around and spot heals during wave stage, then buff turrets and pull quoras within range of at least 4. done right you can get a gh5 done in around ~8 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

Oh hello Salvarola, are you into yoga too?

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Murvin posted:

I suppose this would suggest that, in Rift anyway, there is an alternative to dying on your feet or living on your knees. :dealwithit:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Murvin posted:

Did you kill Salvarola or did he bug out?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

KaneTW posted:

Did you kill Salvarola or did he bug out?

Nah, that was Murvin's model all hosed up after one of many wipes.

Johnson79
Sep 4, 2004
Are we raiding tonight? Just curious since I may still be tied up with Holiday poo poo by the time we would start.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Johnson79 posted:

Are we raiding tonight? Just curious since I may still be tied up with Holiday poo poo by the time we would start.

Not sure, I don't think I'll be able to make it if we do, but they may try to get something together.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
if you guys have alts tgx are doing their gdkp ft/ee tonight at 8pm server. message clu around 730 server when we start forming (we usually full clear ft/ee so we need the right raid comp).

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lifegiving vs Lifebound veil. It looks like they do the same thing to me, but I can only have one active. Lifegiving looks the same as Lifebound, but Lifebound is more powerful? And yet I get Lifegiving after Lifebound. Maybe I'm misreading the tooltips on them.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Droid Washington posted:

Lifegiving vs Lifebound veil. It looks like they do the same thing to me, but I can only have one active. Lifegiving looks the same as Lifebound, but Lifebound is more powerful? And yet I get Lifegiving after Lifebound. Maybe I'm misreading the tooltips on them.

Lifebound veil is for tank healing, it provides a tiny amount of splash healing to the group but it is for heavy tank heals. It automatically is applied when you cast synthesis on the tank. LGV is raid healing and just heals up to 10 people in your group. Vile spores is best to use with LGV, and void life (when you get it) is best for tank healing.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

Lifebound veil is for tank healing, it provides a tiny amount of splash healing to the group but it is for heavy tank heals. It automatically is applied when you cast synthesis on the tank. LGV is raid healing and just heals up to 10 people in your group. Vile spores is best to use with LGV, and void life (when you get it) is best for tank healing.

Thanks for the explanation! So Lifebound is the one to use for groups until void life, and LGV is basically for raid situations.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Droid Washington posted:

Thanks for the explanation! So Lifebound is the one to use for groups until void life, and LGV is basically for raid situations.

No, Lifebound is more of a late bloomer that only shines in single-target healing AFTER you get Void Life. Synthesis boosts healing on the tank, but it's not huge compared to LGV unless you're using the abilities that say "triggers a larger heal on the subject of the mage's Synthesis" or something like that. You get one of these, Ruin, early on, but it's not spammable. The last two, Void Life and Corrosive Spores, come towards the end of the pre-expansion leveling process. I leveled my mage recently and with the relatively low tank damage in pre-expansion content and tendency of people to stand in crap I just stuck with LGV until I unlocked Void Life.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
I thought to myself, this F2P model can't last, I'm getting the whole game for free, then blew £25 on credits for the storm legion souls and the mobile banker upgrade. Although I think that's equivalency to buying the expansion.

I've been back in Rift for a few days and I've noticed the levelling experience is MUCH easier. I don't know if the aggro range has been massively reduced or skills have been buffed, but I remember dying at least once an hour when it first came out, and several areas in Freemarch being hell on earth, but now I'm pretty much cruising through it. Hopefully the difficulty gets ramped back up to what it used to be when I get higher in level.

Also very pleased that the ember steed is still a pretty rare mount, It was a lot easier to get when it was people subbing after free trials than it would be to persuade people to like the game enough to get patron status!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

The SL Zoness become much harder than the present SL stuff.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

KaneTW posted:

The SL Zoness become much harder than the present SL stuff.

Are you trying to tell us Zoness has a boner or something?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I started playing MMOs again for no good reason this weekend. I didn't even know if there was a Goon Guild (of course there's a goon guild). I'll be transferring over and requesting an invite for Clarise when I'm home this evening.

admiral.baby
May 1, 2009

Betjeman posted:

I've been back in Rift for a few days and I've noticed the levelling experience is MUCH easier. I don't know if the aggro range has been massively reduced or skills have been buffed, but I remember dying at least once an hour when it first came out, and several areas in Freemarch being hell on earth, but now I'm pretty much cruising through it. Hopefully the difficulty gets ramped back up to what it used to be when I get higher in level.

I have no hard evidence, but I stopped playing less than 6 months after launch and came back in June, and I think you're right that levelling is a ton easier. I think mob aggro range is smaller, but still pretty big. Also, no falling damage means you can pretty much barrel across the world like a true hero oughta.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I swear I remember patch notes either right before or sometime since the expansion where mobs in old zones had lowered aggro range but it went back to normal the higher in level you went. I think by 50 it is back to normal.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
They did some stuff a while ago to make getting around easier. I don't remember aggro, but they did make it harder to for mobs to unmount you

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Betjeman posted:

The Rift free to play model is probably the best one out there. Nothing is pay to win, and (arguably depending on class) the expansion souls aren't required. Not locking you out of any content also was a wise decision, nobody has to pay to play with their friends. I read that interview with the returning CEO Scott Hartsman and he said Rift is making more money now that it is free to play than it was before.

Levelling to 50 is baby time easy, hit '.' key and do instant adventures (you'll learn quickly enough that you get tons of exp in those by tagging everything maybe even quest mobs) and you can even level without worrying about equipment too much (you'll get weapons mostly as rewards from completing the adventures). Levelling from 50-60 will take about as long as from 1-50, but you get a whole new expansion contintent(s!) with a gazillion things to do for exp there.

Don't buy the level 50 mount, because at level 51 you can buy a 130% mount. Mounts are one of the most efficient purchases you can make with credits (cash store) because they're so relatively cheap and you'll use it constantly.

Have a goon hook you up with armor or money if you need it, just ask.

edit: better link http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/23/scott-hartsman-on-leading-trion-worlds-out-of-the-woods/

quote:

Free-to-play has propelled RIFT into an entirely new tier of operation. While he couldn't give numbers, Hartsman said the game is making "vastly" more money than before and has the largest monthly player population it's ever had.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 4, 2013

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Trying this out as "Pantyraid" and I'm looking for a sweaty goon embrace.

/join goonsquad doesn't work, btw.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Carbon Deity posted:

Trying this out as "Pantyraid" and I'm looking for a sweaty goon embrace.

/join goonsquad doesn't work, btw.

That's not a command for guild joining - it's for joining a chat channel.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Zoness posted:

That's not a command for guild joining - it's for joining a chat channel.

Quit tryin' to boss me, zoness. :colbert:

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

Is for anything?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Star Warrior X posted:

Is for anything?

Anal Challenge

also maybe a puzzle once you've unlocked it

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Star Warrior X posted:

Is for anything?

That teleports you to the puzzle for that zone once you collect the artifacts and buy the book from Omi or w/e her name is. It is basically a knight's journey puzzle, you get a chessboard and a knight that you must move around and land on each square exactly three times. The reward is a dimension item of the teleport object you found.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

"Patch Notes posted:

RIFT 2.3 Hot Fix #18 - 9/4/13

GENERAL
* Fixed an open-world, cross-shard PvP exploit involving LFD queues.
* Fixed some client crashes.

RIFT STORE
* The Sapphire Ki Rin is now Bind on Account.
* Empyreal Vanquisher's Cells and Empyreal Hero's Cells have been added to the store.

DUNGEONS & RAIDS
* Slightly lowered the damage from some area of effect abilities in the following encounters: Salvarola and Ultane in Grim Awakening, Regulos in Endless Eclipse, Crucia in Frozen Tempest.

FROZEN TEMPEST
* Gelidra: Hardmode Gelidra now deals less overall damage.

GRIM AWAKENING
* Kyzan: Necrotic Torrent damage ticks on the main target less frequently.
* Kyzan: Slightly reduced the damage of Delayed Annihilation.
* Ultane: Slightly reduced damage of Infernal Radiance.

ZONES
* ZE: Reduced colossi hitpoints in the following Zone Events: Hammer and Flame, The Blight, Infernal Awakening, and Golden Embers.
* ZE: In addition to the epic currency awarded upon the success of old-world zone events, old-world colossi now also award the appropriate planar currency.

PVP AND WARFRONTS
* Fixed an issue with cross shard groups having difficulty joining warfront queues when a group member is from a PvP shard.

ITEMS
* The Bounding Devourer and Shaper Beast mounts now have a chance to be unmounted on damage.
* The Swift Desert Najmok awarded from Mathos notoriety has returned to its proper visual
* Heroic Spiritshatter Vial's should no longer award focus.
* Ascended's Sublime Needler now properly has block instead of Deflect.
* Summerfest consumables should no long appear in the dimension section of the auction house.
* Endless Overgrowth Oil no longer references Abyssal incorrectly.
* Depleted Empyreal Defender's Buckler should now appear sorted under Clerics on merchants instead of Warrior.
* Fixed text on some Dendrome items.

UI/SETTINGS
* Looking for quests has been removed from the LFG window.
* The Random Expert LFD queues once again allows players to bypass map instance locks.

Something that Vandee said would never happen (warrior tank weapon getting the right stats) and that decrease in aoe damage in Sal and Reggie seem pretty nice. As does LFD queues not being borked and allowing you to do what they should.

e: just saw that they fixed some client crashes, so I wonder what new and exciting ways to crash now exist.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
At least they fixed the instance locks on dungeons. That was getting to be a pain in the rear end.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

FROZEN TEMPEST
* Gelidra: Hardmode Gelidra now deals less overall damage.

I don't wanna be that guy but I thought they weren't nerfing Hard Modes. In the sense that Hard Modes are optional content.

Like, yeah it sucks that you have to have like at least 21k hp unbuffed to survive that fight consistently but I dunno I thought that was kind of the point.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Zoness posted:

I don't wanna be that guy but I thought they weren't nerfing Hard Modes. In the sense that Hard Modes are optional content.

Like, yeah it sucks that you have to have like at least 21k hp unbuffed to survive that fight consistently but I dunno I thought that was kind of the point.

I was kind of hoping it'd just be the bug that occasionally happens where you get like 5 ticks of one of the damage abilities in a second, but that's not exclusive to hard more (from what I've seen it's probably rarer for it to happen in hard mode) and I've not had that happen in forever (seen it a couple times in streams of HM Gelidra though, so :iiam:).

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Trying to decide if I'm going to stick with the game before I buy the expansion or get a goon guild invite - is the Harbinger soul as much fun as it looks?
I feel a little burned out on rogues, so I've been leveling a warrior and a cleric (mostly a warrior), how required are the expansion souls for those two?

And did they ever make riftstalker tanking viable?

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004
I am truly flabbergasted that they finally fixed that Warrior bow. I figured it was just going to be like that forever. It was broken how long, 4 or 5 months?

Silly Newbie posted:

Trying to decide if I'm going to stick with the game before I buy the expansion or get a goon guild invite - is the Harbinger soul as much fun as it looks?
I feel a little burned out on rogues, so I've been leveling a warrior and a cleric (mostly a warrior), how required are the expansion souls for those two?

If you decide to play again you should probably pick up the expansion souls. A lot of the endgame specs use them in some fashion, and the Mage one is especially great when leveling up. You can probably get by without Defiler for Clerics but since you get all the souls when you buy the expansion you may as well. I personally haven't played much Harbringer but I've heard it's a blast.

Rifstalker tanks are fine and great and main tank all the time.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Silly Newbie posted:

is the Harbinger soul as much fun as it looks?
It is. If you want to try it, try out a rogue or warrior melee spec (I don't know which ones are closest to harbinger, something w/o too many bleeds and stuff to keep track of) and pretend that your finishers don't come from building combo points but from a random proc instead.

Silly Newbie posted:

Yes. All tanks are equally (as much as can be reasonably expected. We still make fun of our warrior tank for being a warrior) viable.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Machai posted:

Yes. All tanks are equally (as much as can be reasonably expected. We still make fun of our warrior tank for being a warrior) viable.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Cleric and Rogue tanks are more viable than warriors. I have a expert/raid equipped warrior tank who is less tanky than my blue equipped rogue tank. I have a physical tank spec, magic tank spec, VK spec and a warlord spec. They all suck compared to my rogue and cleric.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I'm going to be an awful jerk and ask this question: Does Rift still have a healthy enough endgame population to easily find raid groups?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Carbon Deity posted:

I'm going to be an awful jerk and ask this question: Does Rift still have a healthy enough endgame population to easily find raid groups?

Yes. I am about to log in and do the open world raid bosses and we will have probably 7 full raids doing them. There are cross-shard event channels and raid PUG's, so you see them forming up all the time. The game is as full as it has ever been.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

SlayVus posted:

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Cleric and Rogue tanks are more viable than warriors. I have a expert/raid equipped warrior tank who is less tanky than my blue equipped rogue tank. I have a physical tank spec, magic tank spec, VK spec and a warlord spec. They all suck compared to my rogue and cleric.

And you would be wrong.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I heal the tanks in our raid. Warriors, Rogues, Clerics, they all need about the same heals and we don't worry too much about which type we use. So they are all viable and choose the style you like the most. The only groups who really care are the super bleeding edge progression guilds.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

SlayVus posted:

i dont really see why you'd say this, especially since you just outlined the versatility of warrior tanks. want to tank kyzan without a defiler? you better have a reaver tank! want to have your tank do 15k dps on hm kain or progenitor? go warlord! have overzealous dps that get salvarola to 75% before the 2nd laser? hope you have a paladin!

vandiar posted:

I am truly flabbergasted that they finally fixed that Warrior bow. I figured it was just going to be like that forever. It was broken how long, 4 or 5 months?

i cant believe it still has less endurance than the pre raid crafted bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

shut up gelly posted:

i dont really see why you'd say this, especially since you just outlined the versatility of warrior tanks. want to tank kyzan without a defiler?

Why would you do anything without a defiler?

I'm not biased or anything.

• Locked thread