Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Oh god... :negative: WHY. This looks amazing.

If it's an early PS4 game, maybe Sega will be up for booting it to localization for quick cash.

Maybe... :gonk: Oh god who am I kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Basically, if you want to continue being a Yakuza fan, you need to learn Japanese.

I've pretty much given up being a Yakuza fan because Japanese is too hard to learn for the sake of a video game series.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

You know, I almost wouldn't give up on Ishin coming over entirely. After all, Sega could just market it (Hahahaha) under more of a Swords 'n' Samurai kind of pitch, which is a lot easier of a sell than the really dodgy "Japanese GTA" thing I've heard a few too many times from people trying to sell copies of the mainstream titles.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Did I miss something about whether a historical Yakuza game is more or less likely to come out in English than any other? I thought they said they were totally done with Yakuza in English.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Jamesman posted:

Basically, if you want to continue being a Yakuza fan, you need to learn Japanese.

I've pretty much given up being a Yakuza fan because Japanese is too hard to learn for the sake of a video game series.

I have actually been on the whole "Learn Japanese" train for couple years now, it's fairly slow going due to time availability manually, but the language itself is not all that difficult. Now, Kanji is a bitch, true, but even that is all right with some discipline and Heisig's book.

That said, I really wish Sony would moneyhat the localization for Yakuza. It would be quite awesome to have for the first year of PS4, and who knows, it might bootstrap the series in the West, stranger things have happened (hey there Ni No Kuni).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Japanese grammar isn't anywhere near as different from English as people give it credit for, but Japanese reading and writing is a total bitch. So is English reading and writing for that matter. Both of them are top class as far as difficulty to learn the writing system for.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 18, 2013

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Jamesman posted:

I've actually begun to passively look into some of the basics in the hopes of getting to play 5 someday once I'm learned up, may as well chalk up Kenzan and Ishin on the hopes board while I'm at it. :smith:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ryu ga Gotoku ISHIN will be in this week's issue of Famitsu. Will it be the Vita game that Nagoshi said he was doing back in '11? Or maybe that "research" into "next gen" will bear fruit for the PS4? Perhaps it's a swan song for the PS3? Comedy answer: Mobage mobile phone/browser game, everything is terrible.

Toshihiro Nagoshi will also be hosting a live stream on the 26th to talk about ISHIN with the viewers and answer any questions they might have. I doubt he'll show any gameplay footage but hey maybe he will.

I kind of want to get a mod to rename this thread, I dunno maybe something like "Yakuza: Abandon hope all ye who enter here". I'm saving that PM though on the offchance the Vita gets a price drop and I need to rename THAT thread.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I vote PS3 swan song, I think that would generate by far the best results.

The difference between that and a social game would be the difference between eating a delicious hamburger and eating a photocopy of a delicious hamburger.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Psyche! You're not getting a platform this time! Better luck at TGS next month, everybody! Here's what you DID get.

Two confirmed cast members: Ryoma Sakamoto and Hajime Saito. Two confirmed cities: Tosa and Kyoto. Scans when I can find them.

edit: Hajime Saito is apparently Majima.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 21, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's weird, I only imported four games this entire generation (Kenzan, EX Troopers and the two Jump Stars DS games). But with the PS4 staying region free who knows what other good stuff might fall through the cracks as Sega and other publishers are less financially able to take risks. It's weird as we go back in time I have systems like the Turbo Graphx or Dreamcast where I probably own double the number of Japanese games than I do US ones, but I feel like this gen North America and even Europe both did really well getting almost all the good stuff in some form.

I do think this will be the PS3's final super rad game rather, but I'd be shocked if it didn't get a PSN release on PS4 at some point. The Yakuza games have a enough of a cult following that we'll be seeing "The Best" and "DreKore" reprints for a long time to come. :D

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Okay, this is getting weird.

quote:

Earlier this week, Sega announced the next Yakuza game in Japan, titled Yakuza Restoration, with a teaser poster showing the series’ Kazuma Kiryu in the form of Sakamoto Ryoma, a prominent figure during the Bakumatsu period of Japan. This week’s Famitsu magazine shares details surrounding the upcoming game.

While the hardware for the title has yet to be revealed, but according to Famitsu, Masayoshi Yokoyama who wrote the scenario for the first four Yakuza games will be the producer, and will also be writing the scenario once again.

According to the magazine report, both Sakamoto Ryoma and Saito Hajime, a samurai and captain of the third unit of the Shinsengumi who survived the Bakumatsu period, will be portrayed by Kazuma Kiryu.

The concept behind the game is, “How would things have been different, had Ryoma had the personality of Kiryu?” or “What if Ryoma was part of the Shinsengumi, and joined by calling himself Saito Hajime?”

During this time period, the Bakufu supporters often hunted down Ryoma, and he had to create an alias to hide himself from them and others of the Shinsengumi. The idea of thinking how someone similar to Kazuma Kiryu would’ve handled it, was the amusing thought that created Yakuza Restoration.

Tosa and Kyoto will be two cities that are a part of Yakuza Restoration’s setting. The game is currently in development.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Literally everything I know about the Bakumatsu period comes from the Shinobi chapter in Live a Live. Early 19th century, right? I think I broke Sakamoto out of prison. He was a pretty cool dude then, especially when he helped me take out Musashi's berserk ghost resurrected by a demon lord.

E: after TGS and whatever news occurs there I might spring for a new thread, if Policenaut is ok with it. I'm hoping to bring new people to the series so they buy more copies and aren't immediately put off by how very Japanese it all is.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 21, 2013

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
My motivation to remember all my college Japanese has suddenly flooded back.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You say weird, I say it couldn't be more awesome. Time to don the blue and white and fight for a hopeless cause!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ALRIGHT! HERE WE GO Y'ALL! Ryu ga Gotoku ISHIN is confirmed to be on PlayStation and will be properly revealed on the 29th at PlayStation Blitz.

But wait! There's more! SCREENSHOTS!

We are confirmed for PS3 or better at this point. I'd be willing to believe that's launch era PS4.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Welp, my game's here.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Welp, my game's here.

Sanders please teach me Japanese.

The game looks :krad: so far and I need to un-bookmark this thread so I don't keep getting sad about this awesome game I'll probably never get to play.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Whatever happened to White Male Privilege? I should be able to understand and enjoy these games because the world belongs to me, dammit. :(

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Crowbear posted:

The game looks :krad: so far and I need to un-bookmark this thread so I don't keep getting sad about this awesome game I'll probably never get to play.

Idea, game devs should just link to Google Translate if they don't want to do localization. Got to be possible, especially on PS4. I would love to see the hilariously badly translated dialogue.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sony Hong Kong actually did that with Aquanaut's Holiday on PS3. A lot of it was directly translated with Google Translate so you get weird aqua life like "internet sea slug". It also had WHAT YOU SAY?! as a legitimate line of dialogue.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Crowbear posted:

The worst part is that READING Japanese is paramount since so much of side quest stuff is not voiced in Yakuza games. And as I've said, it's a complete bitch, at least until you have your first 400 or so characters under your belt, then it becomes much easier.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Jamesman posted:

Whatever happened to White Male Privilege? I should be able to understand and enjoy these games because the world belongs to me, dammit. :(

It's still a Yakuza game, just press buttons until the words go away and you can put your fist/foot/sword into the other guy's face. :v:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bocc Kob posted:

It's still a Yakuza game, just press buttons until the words go away and you can put your fist/foot/sword into the other guy's face. :v:

The story in the Yakuza games is most of the appeal for me. The combat and wacky stuff is loving amazing, but what keeps me compelled is the story that holds it all together.

I say this as someone who has only beaten the first game and played up to chapter 5 of the second... Remind me to fix that one day. :/

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Jamesman posted:

The story in the Yakuza games is most of the appeal for me. The combat and wacky stuff is loving amazing, but what keeps me compelled is the story that holds it all together.

I say this as someone who has only beaten the first game and played up to chapter 5 of the second... Remind me to fix that one day. :/

Fix that one day.

Hell, fix that today :colbert:.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Walker posted:

Fix that one day.

Hell, fix that today :colbert:.

I'm working on it, slowly. :smith:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Jamesman posted:

I'm working on it, slowly. :smith:

I have this fantasy of a Yakuza 4 LP where you, Egomaniac, and Geop each play through one of the chapters. I don't know who gets Tanimura yet. Probably Proton Jon.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Daigo will be playing the role of Tokugawa Yoshinobu, Majima will be Okita Soji. We'll know what platform ISHIN is on before TGS.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That will...not be the traditional image of Okita.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

quote:

In Sega’s Yakuza series, you take on gangs, rival mobsters, and occasionally zombies. In the recently announced game, Yakuza Restoration, you will play as Kazuma Kiryu, who’ll be assuming the roles of Sakamoto Ryoma and Saito Hajime during the Bakumatsu period. This week’s Famitsu magazine shares more details.

Yakuza Restoration will start out with the iconic scene of Sakamoto Ryoma’s death where he met his end after being hunted down by Bakufu supporters. The game’s prologue will take place in Tosa, but most of it will be take place in the historic city of Kyoto. While Kyoto will keep true to its appearance from the era, it will be similar to present day Kyoto in terms of cityscape.

According to the magazine, the name Kazuma Kiryu is never mentioned, and the protagonist won’t have any tattoos. One of Sega’s biggest focuses for Yakuza Restoration, is to make it more enjoyable than any JRPG out there. They’ll be focusing on more RPG features, such as being able to enhance your abilities as you go around town, and weapon forging.

Weaponry will consist mainly of swords and firearms, and there will be an abundant amount of arms available for the player. Another goal of Sega’s is to make Yakuza Restoration’s battle system have more depth and a more refreshing feel to it than any of the past titles of the series. The difficulty of battles will also be higher, as they’ll be making it tough to advance if your stats and weapons aren’t up to par. The level cap is also set at 99.

ISHIN: Apparently more like a JRPG.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So, every day since the main announcement they have announced new "casting" of existing characters into this historical setting. It's getting pretty weird, to be honest. I can't even remember what role Yahachi, some minor enemy character in Yakuza 5, played, much less who Shinsengumi seventh captain Tani Sanjuro is.

edit: and still no Toshizo Hijikata, one of the few names I DO know.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 30, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
http://yakuzafan.com/post/60266209467/jujujuli-while-i-was-at-pax-this-past-weekend-i

Sega please :qq:

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 4, 2013

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's too bad Sega of Japan can't/won't just give the localization and publication rights to another company that knows what they're doing.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

drat it SEGA, just let me give you my money for an English Yakuza 5 already.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Jamesman posted:

It's too bad Sega of Japan can't/won't just give the localization and publication rights to another company that knows what they're doing.

I imagine someone like XSEED or NISA would jump at the opportunity. Publishing games with small but devoted Western fanbases is basically their entire business model.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still think the problem is one of sheer volume of stuff to be translated, compared to almost anything else.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

No XSEED has no time, they have to localize a series of JRPGs that will never sell and figure out who's going to buy them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Actually, come to think of it, does all the trademarked stuff in the series cause any problems/hoops to jump through for localization?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The only copyright issues I've ever seen was that the West doesn't get the licensed theme music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Policenaut posted:

No XSEED has no time, they have to localize a series of JRPGs that will never sell and figure out who's going to buy them.

Meanwile NISA keeps localizing awful JRPGs thhat reviewers slam. It is a sad world

• Locked thread