Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chris Gaines posted:

I don't ever remember Austin using the Stone Cold Stunner in WCW.

No of course not, but he did do seated three-quarter facelock jawbreakers in '94 as 'just a move'.

(I'm sure he did one to Steamboat in their clash match in '94 but it is on the DVD so it isn't on youtube any more)

But my point was invalid as I'm sure the Ace Crusher was before that anyway. I was just being an rear end poking fun at the notion of the Stunner being a copy of a move when it became far bigger then any of those other ones. :)

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Today is the 18th anniversary of the first episode of Nitro :smith:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

In addition to the King of the Ring stuff, this weeks retro Observer has a big story on WWF suing WCW for trademark/gimmick infringement. Given that WCW was part of a big corporation, it's sort of shocking that Bischoff was basically allowed to just not give a poo poo about the charges and press on with the angle as planned. He got VERY lucky that the judge overseeing the suit was busy with organized crime and therefore didn't give a poo poo about wrestling so the hearing was pushed back until after Bash at the Beach. It's also hilarious reading how whiny Vince is about the whole thing considering he is really just getting a taste of his own dirty medicine from killing the territory days.

Given that the last few of these newsletters have featured rumormongering on who the third man could be, it's hilarious and telling that Hogans name has never been brought up as a possibility. I can't wait to read the reaction after he turns.

What was thought of as the true low point of the WWF from a bankruptcy standpoint? I'm assuming right before Montreal due to how desperate Vince was during that ordeal.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Titan was never going to get an injunction against WCW to stop the nWo angle. Most of the things they were alleging in that part of the lawsuit were completely absurd; Vince of course had himself had actually stolen the basis for the Razor Ramon and Diesel characters from their WCW runs as The Diamond Studd and Vinnie Vegas so WCW was going to be able to show prior usage on basically everything. It took a number of years for those legal proceedings to even reach a settlement stage.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

What was thought of as the true low point of the WWF from a bankruptcy standpoint? I'm assuming right before Montreal due to how desperate Vince was during that ordeal.

There was a point in 1997 when Titan Towers removed the water coolers from the building as a cost-cutting measure. That says desperation to me.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yeah, in 1996-97 they were running a lot of Raws out of tiny arenas and cutting costs all over the place.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I thought 95 was worse than 97?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

oldpainless posted:

I thought 95 was worse than 97?

1995 WWF was Vince on defense. He stepped away to focus on his legal problems, leaving other people in charge. If I'm not mistaken, that might have been "Cowboy" Bill Watts. You had a lot of kookiness in 1995 - lots more gimmicks (TL Hopper, Who, The Goon), more acquisitions from SMW (The Heavenly Bodies), and a focus on big big guys (Diesel, Sid, and King Mabel). The '95 Royal Rumble was a pretty good snapshot of what was going on - the actual match lasted 30 minutes (as a faster paced Rumble match!), and was almost completely filler, except for the two guys who started and finished it, reflecting that the WWF had almost no depth beyond a handful of stars.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Vince's legal stuff was in summer 1994 and Bill Watts lasted in WWF for only a couple of months and made no significant contributions.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Vince's legal stuff was in summer 1994 and Bill Watts lasted in WWF for only a couple of months and made no significant contributions.

Ohh, I wondered if I was off by a year. What was Watts, then? I had thought he'd taken over as booker for a year-ish.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Red posted:

Ohh, I wondered if I was off by a year. What was Watts, then? I had thought he'd taken over as booker for a year-ish.

Vince brought Watts in for a little while in 1995 and then overruled everything Watts wanted to do. Not a lot to it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Undertaker's bizarre phantom mask was Watts' idea. So not EVERYTHING.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Red posted:

Watts was only in on a three month contract during 95. He now claims that he didn't want a longer contract, but at the time it was felt his run was a trial that he didn't do well in.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Undertaker's bizarre phantom mask was Watts' idea. So not EVERYTHING.

I thought the mask was kind of neat, but also assumed it was for UT's protection for a month or so, at least - similar to the mask Brutus Beefcake wore for a little while. (or Cody Rhodes')

Was Watts' short tenure in the WWF the last real job he had? I know he got poo poo-canned from WCW by Hank Aaron (no, really), so I'm surprised Vince was willing to give him a chance.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

VogeGandire posted:

Today is the 18th anniversary of the first episode of Nitro :smith:
I was 15 :corsair:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Go back to bed, grandpa! (I was 13).

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Red posted:

Was Watts' short tenure in the WWF the last real job he had? I know he got poo poo-canned from WCW by Hank Aaron (no, really), so I'm surprised Vince was willing to give him a chance.

Pretty much. He was never in a position of power ever again.

Apparently he owed his run to JR putting his name forward and a sense that he had been hard done by in WCW (as held by JR). Vince never really had any faith in him though, if he had the inital contract would've been much longer.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

Pretty much. He was never in a position of power ever again.

Apparently he owed his run to JR putting his name forward and a sense that he had been hard done by in WCW (as held by JR). Vince never really had any faith in him though, if he had the inital contract would've been much longer.

Looking over Wikipedia, Hank Aaron's pull didn't get Watts fired - he supposedly resigned before Aaron had even heard of him.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Red posted:

Looking over Wikipedia, Hank Aaron's pull didn't get Watts fired - he supposedly resigned before Aaron had even heard of him.

That's Watts whitewashing. He was either fired or he quit in order to jump the gun on getting fired.

He's also said the whole rant he went on to Keller was simply him talking about how restaurant owners should be allowed to discriminate - his quote:

quote:

If you want a business and you put money in, why shouldn't you be able to discriminate? It's your business.

But that ignores what he says immediately afterward.

quote:

It's my investment. I can't tell a fag to get the gently caress out. I should have the right to not associate with a fag if I don't want to. I mean, why should I have to hire a loving fag if I don't like fags? Fags discriminate against us, don't they? Sure they do. Do blacks discriminate against whites?

Who's killed more blacks than anyone? The loving blacks. But they want to blame that bullshit Roots that came on the air. That Roots was so bullshit. All you have to do if you want slaves is to hand beads to the chiefs and they gave you slaves. What is the best thing that has ever happened to the black race? That they were brought to this country. No matter how they got here. You know why? Because they intermarried and got educated. They're the ones running the black race.

You go down to the black countries and they're all broke. Idi Amin killed more blacks than we ever killed. You see what I mean. That's how stupid we are. But we get all caught up in this bullshit rhetoric, And so, it's ridiculous what's happening to our country.

Hank was rightly livid and they pushed Watts's rear end out, and the rest was history.

edit: should be noted he was probably going to get fired anyway.

Strenuous Manflurry fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 4, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think we found Zeb's next promo!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
How does that interview get even more racist every time I read it?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I forgot the name of the round table show that Mean Gene used to host, but one of the topics that was discussed was blacks in wrestling. Bill Watts was one of the panelists :ironicat:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Chris Gaines posted:

I forgot the name of the round table show that Mean Gene used to host, but one of the topics that was discussed was blacks in wrestling. Bill Watts was one of the panelists :ironicat:
"Soul of Wrestling."

It also featured legendary black wrestlers, Tony Atlas and Dusty Rhodes.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Teddy Long was also a panelist, and he recounts Ole Anderson being a dick to him (presumably for racist reasons) during a match he reffed in the early 80s.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm watching Timeline with Vince Russo.

Don't watch Timeline with Vince Russo.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

LividLiquid posted:

I'm watching Timeline with Vince Russo.

Don't watch Timeline with Vince Russo.

The moment he said "titles don't matter, wrestling isn't real" is when I knew for sure that the man doesn't just have bad ideas, but that he has no grasp whatsoever of the very fundamental basics of both wrestling and storytelling in general

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Chris Gaines posted:

Well if you follow the whitewashed history of Bill Watts, you overlook that rant above and point out that he was the first national booker to put his top belt on a black babyface in JYD.

...He did it so that he could market specifically to the black audience, sure, but he was still the first to do it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Go back to bed, grandpa! (I was 13).

I was 14

Too bad I can't find direct footage of Luger's first appearance on that Nitro because that was a really big deal.

Jack Krauser posted:

Yeah, in 1996-97 they were running a lot of Raws out of tiny arenas and cutting costs all over the place.

Kind of a shame thanks to this Raw was live every other week until the fall of 1999 when they were really in control.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

The moment he said "titles don't matter, wrestling isn't real" is when I knew for sure that the man doesn't just have bad ideas, but that he has no grasp whatsoever of the very fundamental basics of both wrestling and storytelling in general
The storytelling in general part really rings true. I always knew he thought it, but to hear in such plain language that a plot device ceases to matter because it's fictitious? Holy hell, what a stupid thing to say. And it's not even the first time he's said it.

Also, Kayfabe Commentaries needs a copy editor. There are so many spelling and punctuation errors in the production that drive me nuts.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

LividLiquid posted:

The storytelling in general part really rings true. I always knew he thought it, but to hear in such plain language that a plot device ceases to matter because it's fictitious? Holy hell, what a stupid thing to say. And it's not even the first time he's said it.

Also, Kayfabe Commentaries needs a copy editor. There are so many spelling and punctuation errors in the production that drive me nuts.

The man is an ignorant incompetent buffoon, albeit one who has successfully conned not one, not two, but three different companies into believe that he's great. OK so he was fired as soon as he started his 2nd WWE run, but the very fact that he was a) hired again after destroying WCW and b) given an offer to be a "consultant" rather than fired immediately is really loving amazing.

EDIT: he reminds me a lot of my first boss, who was a total loving idiot about the actual business he was in, but so goddamned charming and slick that he talked himself into high-paying job after high-paying job despite never succeeding at anything. I guess when you reach a certain level you start failing upwards.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

thatguyclint posted:

Well if you follow the whitewashed history of Bill Watts, you overlook that rant above and point out that he was the first national booker to put his top belt on a black babyface in JYD.

...He did it so that he could market specifically to the black audience, sure, but he was still the first to do it.

He made JYD a hero in Mid-South by having him be his own man, fighting his own battles (sometimes winning, sometimes losing) without help - not unlike what Daniel Bryan is going through at the moment, and not unlike the character type Steve Austin was when he was faced with Vince McMahon. It was a ballsy move to try to market to a black audience when he risked alienating a large white fanbase.

Then again, reading 'that Roots bullshit' makes sense now, what with Junkyard Dog in chains. :(

Red fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 4, 2013

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If Russo made the Lord of the Rings movies, he'd rob the ring of all of its power and bury it in the first act of the first film. When fans complained, he'd be like, "It's fake, bro. The ring isn't real."

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

For anyone who's ever watched a single Russo shoot video before, timeline is exactly the same just with less y'know's and more blaming other people.

Oh and I guess he calls the fans idiots more often than normal.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

LividLiquid posted:

If Russo made the Lord of the Rings movies, he'd rob the ring of all of its power and bury it in the first act of the first film. When fans complained, he'd be like, "It's fake, bro. The ring isn't real."

Then Samwise would turn on Frodo about 3 different times before they ever got to Mordor, Gollum would be revealed to be Bilbo's long-lost son, and when Gandalf would be about to fight the Balrog he'd lay down and say "This is the part where I'm supposed to die."

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Lets be fair here. do you really thing Russo would let one guy hold the ring all the way to Modor?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

What did WWE do on those nights where RAW got preemted? Was there no RAW that week? Would it air Tuesday? Did they just have a house show?

Hahaha I remember things got so bad for WCW in mid-late '99 that they ran a Nitro unopposed for all 3 hours and still lost to 11 PM Raw(pre-empted by the dog show). Something like a 4.06 for Nitro to Raw's 4.13, sure they were barely beat but its still pathetic. I think it was the Death of WCW.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

Lets be fair here. do you really thing Russo would let one guy hold the ring all the way to Modor?

In book three the ring is usurped by the Wolfpac Fellowship.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Red posted:

He made JYD a hero in Mid-South by having him be his own man, fighting his own battles (sometimes winning, sometimes losing) without help - not unlike what Daniel Bryan is going through at the moment, and not unlike the character type Steve Austin was when he was faced with Vince McMahon. It was a ballsy move to try to market to a black audience when he risked alienating a large white fanbase.

Then again, reading 'that Roots bullshit' makes sense now, what with Junkyard Dog in chains. :(

The funniest thing about JYD is he was Mid-South tag champ with Dick Murdoch three different times. Dick Murdoch was in the KKK.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Halloween Jack posted:

"Soul of Wrestling."

It also featured legendary black wrestlers, Tony Atlas and Dusty Rhodes.

Well Dusty did offer to be someone's black champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Bigass Moth posted:

Dick Murdoch was in the KKK.
:stare: I did not know that