Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

It's more that Vince didn't want to break his pay scale. The higher end guys for WCW had so much guaranteed money that it would completely destroy his then existing system. Contract negotiation on renews would be hyper inflated if he wanted to adapt the payroll/downside to hiring the top WCW guys.

I dunno, I would imagine dropping something in the high eight figures for seven or eight top WCW guys was unrealistic in terms of cash-flow. That's why WCW went tits up in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Wasn't it also the case that if Vince bought out the WCW guys' contracts, that he would have had to take the contracts "as-is", with pay scale, creative control clauses, and whatnot? I don't remember reading anything about that specifically, but I wouldn't be surprised if Vince decided not to take on the contracts of guys who not only had big salaries and their travel/hotel costs covered, but who could also refuse to go along with booking decisions they didn't like.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Seltzer posted:

Are there any other wrestlers like this. I know they have had/probably had other gimmicks, but I've heard Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, and Scott Steiner don't have an off switch for their characters in real life. It's like they played the role so long they actually became it.

I don't think Savage should really be lumped in with Hogan and Steiner. That was definitely a character.

New Jack comes to mind.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not convinced Steiner lacks an off switch. At the very least he definitely has more than one setting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6m_6-Ac_Sc

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't think Jerry Lawler wrestled under any other names, but you could say his character has changed.

Happy Humphrey and Haystacks Calhoun wrestled for years under their one gimmick; in Humphrey's case, at least, it's not like he could be anyone else.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

ABOUT DRUGS posted:

I don't understand why they needed convincing of this. They had already put several unconventional-looking wrestlers into main events. Yokozuna was WWE champion. King Mabel feuded with Diesel and broke Undertaker's face. Bob Backlund held the belt forever and later feuded with Bret Hart. Littler guys like Benoit and Guerrero were in main events for a long time. Rey has had (terrible) championship reigns and main event feuds. Mick Foley looks like poo poo and he's a huge star.

Even Austin himself didn't really have the underwear model or HGH physique.

Also I still really like your username.

Well Yokozuna and Mabel were both huge, even if they weren't ripped they were still intimidating. Backlund had cache from back in the day. Benoit had a single WHC run that lasted about 4 months and never got the belt again in 3 years, and even as champ he wasn't positioned as the top guy really, he was often below HHH and HBK. Eddie likewise had a single short reign and never really got near the belt after that. Their reigns are far closer to Punk's pretty lacklustre WHC reigns than they were to his long WWE title run or his feud with Cena, and they were never pushed the way Bryan is being pushed now. Eddie and Benoit may have been champs at the same time, but Punk and Bryan are the first pair of non-stereotypical stars to be pushed as the top two babyfaces in the company in a long time.

And as far as Foley and Austin go, I think it's clear that over the last decade Vince has forgotten exactly what made the Attitude Era successful. It wasn't just swearing and tits, it was new, young, exciting stars breaking out that the people actually wanted to see. If Austin or Foley came up in 2007 instead of 1997 there's a good chance they'd have had their legs cut off too.

Also thank you :3:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I dunno, I would imagine dropping something in the high eight figures for seven or eight top WCW guys was unrealistic in terms of cash-flow. That's why WCW went tits up in the first place.

It wasn't like they were going to pay all that money out at once in a lump sum, and realistically someone like Goldberg easily pays for himself on the first PPV where you do a match against Austin.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
It would be difficult to list all the ways they botched the potentially biggest angle in the history of the industry.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
With the talk of wargames in the WWE thread, when is the last time a new match type was debuted in the WWE

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Yuriy posted:

With the talk of wargames in the WWE thread, when is the last time a new match type was debuted in the WWE

Championship scramble?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Yuriy posted:

The most obvious answer is Elimination Chamber, because most other "new" match types are re-hashing older ideas. There's Bragging Rights which is just a cross-brand Survivor Series match, Money in the Bank is a glorified TLC match, there was that dumb ladder-hammer match from TLC 2011, a "chairs" match which is just a hardcore match with a stupidly specific stipulation.

The only other thing I could think of is the Beat-the-Clock challenge, and I'm not sure when they started doing those.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
how soon we forget the Punjabi Prison

EDIT: :lol: at these rules. I forgot how convoluted this was. It's like they were trying to out-TNA TNA here:

Wikipedia posted:

The Punjabi Prison match, named after the Punjab state that The Great Khali (the match's 'founder') is billed from, consists of two large bamboo cages. The first being four sided and standing 16 feet (4.8 m) tall, while the second has eight sides and stands 20 feet (6 m) surrounding the first.

The inner cage has a four foot (1.2 m) by four foot door on each of its sides, with a referee standing by to open them at a wrestler's request. Each door may only be opened once and is only allowed to remain open for sixty seconds, after which it is padlocked. Should all four doors end up locked before the wrestlers escape, they are forced to climb out over the top, where the bamboo is fashioned into spikes. Between the two cages are sometimes placed two tables, upon which are weapons (both "medieval" and "bamboo" variations of standard wrestling weapons). Once a wrestler has escaped the first cage, he must climb over and out of the second cage, with the first wrestler having both of their feet touch the arena floor is the winner.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 4, 2013

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
'Medieval' and bamboo variants? I'm imagining crude iron folding chairs and ring bells made out of bamboo.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Halloween Jack posted:

It was just random clips on YouTube, unfortunately. To be honest, I think the Benoit example I was thinking of was this clip, where he does a back body drop and then secures the arms.

The way they name poo poo in catch wrestling is really weird, especially since there are few to no formal schools or books on the subject. I mean, they call a Kimura a "double wrist lock" because you lock your own wrists together to apply the hold. It doesn't surprise me that Regal would tell you that he just calls it a double arm suplex. Denoting a move as an inverted double underhook whatever is a thing of IWC nerds, really.

Oh man, you don't know the half of it.

I'm making a huge list trying to figure out which wrestlers invented/innovated moves, and the name issues make me want throw my computer into the sun.For example, I spent forever trying to figure out who introduced the "sleeper hold" (what I'm pretty sure was a side headlock) into pro wrestling because the guy who (I think) innovated it called it the "strangle hold", which was also the term used to describe an illegal wrestling hold.

The Mountain Bomb is actually a good example on something I hate. See, most pages/sites that list the moves of wrestlers will give you the technical name along with the name a wrestler gave it (ex: Triple H - Pedigree (double underhook facebuster)). Then there are some moves (like the MB) that are relatively specific in their execution but have no technical name, and this makes it near impossible to research.

Here are some names I've seen for the MB:

Fallaway back body drop
Back Drop Fallaway Slam
Overhead Fireman Carry Toss
overhead backdrop
Semi Fireman Carry Drop

quote:

By the way, it's funny how what comes around goes around, because I was looking for footage of the Mountain Bomb and couldn't find it. I saw the move in Super Fire Pro, and I had no idea where it came from. When I found out it was part of Tenzan's repertoire, I couldn't find it in any of his

compilations.

Ha! I couldn't find footage of it until I made that post earlier.

Questions:

Any old wrestlers use a rolling cutter variant a la Cody Rhodes? Seems to be a relatively recent move.

I was reading Brandon Stroud's most recent Best/Worst of RAW article, and he bought up two clips of Jerry Lawler calling other wrestlers "fags".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99N62akUqM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aWKM-UZD3E

During the respective time periods of those clips, was Lawler a heel or a face?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LvK posted:

'Medieval' and bamboo variants? I'm imagining crude iron folding chairs and ring bells made out of bamboo.

It's a well-known fact that medieval coal miners wore bamboo gloves.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Nick_326 posted:

Questions:

Any old wrestlers use a rolling cutter variant a la Cody Rhodes? Seems to be a relatively recent move.
I think it was popularized as "Roll The Dice" by this wreslter Reno. It surfaced in WWE a few times between then and now, as the "Test Drive" and Carlito's Finisher. Also used by 75% of all indy wrestlers since 2003.

Nick_326 posted:

I was reading Brandon Stroud's most recent Best/Worst of RAW article, and he bought up two clips of Jerry Lawler calling other wrestlers "fags".

Don't know about the first, but he was definitely a heel in the Goldust promo. JR had been doing these pre-taped interviews with Goldust around that time, similar to the Mick Foley interviews that led to his Dude Love face turn in 1997.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Nick_326 posted:

He was a heel during the second one - it's weird in light of what his character's like this days, but Lawler was a major heel back in the nineties (especially when he got onto the commentary team). Faces would often compare him unfavorably to the Burger King mascot for cheap pops. Plus this was during Goldust's first face run, I think, when he was feuding with Brian Pillman.

I'm not positive on the first one but I feel like he's almost definitely the face in it, Jimmy Valiant seemed to be cutting a heel promo and Lawler got cheers for shooting him down.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Nick_326 posted:

Oh man, you don't know the half of it.

I'm making a huge list trying to figure out which wrestlers invented/innovated moves, and the name issues make me want throw my computer into the sun.For example, I spent forever trying to figure out who introduced the "sleeper hold" (what I'm pretty sure was a side headlock) into pro wrestling because the guy who (I think) innovated it called it the "strangle hold", which was also the term used to describe an illegal wrestling hold.
I don't know who first called it a "sleeper hold," but a rasslin' sleeper hold is a rear naked choke, so it's one of the oldest moves in Japanese martial arts. It's not exactly a difficult move to figure out, so I'm sure that Western catch-as-catch-can wrestlers were using it in the 19th century. However, it probably first became part of combat sports when the Kodokan absorbed the Fusen-ryu, and introduced to Western exhibition wrestling by men like Tani and Uyenishi (the Japanese jujutsuka whom Barton-Wright hired to teach at his "Bartitsu" school and take on English wrestlers).

Edit: Looking at your thread, I have a hard time believing Londos as the innovator of any holds since he wasn't much of an amateur wrestler. If he really did "innovate" a "hybrid" between a side headlock and a rear naked, it was probably an accidental sloppy finish.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 4, 2013

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Minidust posted:

how soon we forget the Punjabi Prison

EDIT: :lol: at these rules. I forgot how convoluted this was. It's like they were trying to out-TNA TNA here:

I somehow (by the grace of the wrestling god) have missed every Punjabi Prison match. Is it as bad as I imagine they are?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

NienNunb posted:

I somehow (by the grace of the wrestling god) have missed every Punjabi Prison match. Is it as bad as I imagine they are?

Worse.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nick_326 posted:

Along the same lines, I was surprised when I first saw this video featuring a face Owen Hart leading the crowd in a "human being" chant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjWc1AFWT3g

It's pretty amazing how much less taboo that term was considered not very long ago.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There were only 2 Punjabi Prison matches right? Batista/Khali and UT/Show. They're bad matches but its not like they're on the list of worst matches ever or something in my opinion.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Why did Undertaker & Show have a Punjabi Prison match anyway?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Khali was held off the PPV for elevated liver enzymes. It was original supposed to be Khali vs UT.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

triplexpac posted:

It was supposed to be Undertaker and Khali but Khali got nailed with "elevated liver enzymes" which is what they euphemistically called wellness suspensions for awhile.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It was at GAB 06 which I think was the PPV where 5 guys or something crazy like that all got wellness violations right before it so Khali had to drop out and Show replaced him.

e: you bastards

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

triplexpac posted:

Along these lines, I've always wanted to see a Casket Match that just had two guys unrelated to the gimmick. Like I understand WHY it's been tied to the Undertaker or Kane in every instance, but it'd be neat to see two smaller guys taking that match and doing some unconventional spots with it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Apparently the Punjabi Prison came about when Court Bauer proposed an exploding cage match, but after it'd gone through Kevin Dunn, Vince, etc the concept became the Prison.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

Apparently the Punjabi Prison came about when Court Bauer proposed an exploding cage match, but after it'd gone through Kevin Dunn, Vince, etc the concept became the Prison.

Haha that's right, I forgot all about that.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Minidust posted:

Along these lines, I've always wanted to see a Casket Match that just had two guys unrelated to the gimmick. Like I understand WHY it's been tied to the Undertaker or Kane in every instance, but it'd be neat to see two smaller guys taking that match and doing some unconventional spots with it.

Maybe Bray Wyatt could get away with it, but otherwise it would be a weird "I want to murder you" subtext.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Haha that's right, I forgot all about that.

When you look at that ridiculous setup it becomes abundantly clear that it's the product of a gigantic game of broken telephone.

"oh so the bars explode? Sure, we can put spikes at the top!"

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Minidust posted:

I took a look, and I found out that there have been a few non-Taker-related casket matches in TNA. D-Lo Brown and Sonny Siaki had a casket match and Abyss has been in a few, against Sabu, Pope and at least Sting (though that was a "Last Rites" match where the coffin was called a "death bed" for some reason). Does anyone know of others?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is it true that WWF considered making Crush the top face in 1992, before running with Bret Hart instead? I had heard this back then on a local wrestling radio show, but I have no idea if those claims have been substantiated over the years.

If it's true, then drat, they'd probably be out of business if they had gone with Crush. Without Bret as a main eventer you don't have the pivotal feud with Stone Cold. Not to mention, the main event feuds of Crush vs. Early '90s Heels would be dire.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

oldpainless posted:

There were only 2 Punjabi Prison matches right? Batista/Khali and UT/Show. They're bad matches but its not like they're on the list of worst matches ever or something in my opinion.

I haven't seen either of them either but considering there's only been two I really want to.

Wasn't the reason there were only ever two was because nobody told the guys going in that the bamboo stalks were actually airbrushed metal, so they actually got really hosed up slamming each other into them until they caught on?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Suleman posted:

I took a look, and I found out that there have been a few non-Taker-related casket matches in TNA. D-Lo Brown and Sonny Siaki had a casket match and Abyss has been in a few, against Sabu, Pope and at least Sting (though that was a "Last Rites" match where the coffin was called a "death bed" for some reason). Does anyone know of others?

I remember Wrestling Society X doing something with Vampiro and a casket

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Minidust posted:

Is it true that WWF considered making Crush the top face in 1992, before running with Bret Hart instead? I had heard this back then on a local wrestling radio show, but I have no idea if those claims have been substantiated over the years.

If it's true, then drat, they'd probably be out of business if they had gone with Crush. Without Bret as a main eventer you don't have the pivotal feud with Stone Cold. Not to mention, the main event feuds of Crush vs. Early '90s Heels would be dire.

If you watch WWE at that time (we were watching a Survivor Series from that time in cocotube the other day) it seems clear they were going to push him to the moon as a heel, and I guess they did since he had that program with Savage. It'd make sense that they'd look to turn him eventually if that had taken off and Bret/Owen didn't heat up as much as it did.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Minidust posted:

:psyduck:
I've read this twice and still don't understand it.
I'm going to have to watch one to sate my morbid curiosity.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Wasn't it also the case that if Vince bought out the WCW guys' contracts, that he would have had to take the contracts "as-is", with pay scale, creative control clauses, and whatnot? I don't remember reading anything about that specifically, but I wouldn't be surprised if Vince decided not to take on the contracts of guys who not only had big salaries and their travel/hotel costs covered, but who could also refuse to go along with booking decisions they didn't like.

If he took on the contracts, yes, but he was never going to take on the contracts.

Here's the deal with WCW contracts:

Everyone in WCW was on guaranteed deals. This is different than the WWF's downside guarantee. A downside guarantee means no matter what (unless you are fired) you will make X, but if you wrestle enough you can earn more. WCW's contracts were flat guarantees, you would make X unless you had it written into your contract you'd make more from the wrestling end.

When Vince bought WCW he only assumed 25 low and midcard contracts. Everyone above the pay level of Lance Storm's contract was not assumed. So guys like Buff Bagwell, Booker T and up were not hired in the first round. It was then up to Time Warner to offer them buy outs for less than their guaranteed money, thus giving them the chance to sign with WWE for a lower downside guarantee but the chance to make significantly more money. Time Warner low balled several big name talents and the money Vince was offering wouldn't be worth going on the road instead of just sitting at home for millions. Even the small contracts Vince absorbed had 90 day cycles built into them and Vince was able to just end those after 90 days and sign the talent to a WWE style contract.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Why were so many people seemingly desperate to jump to the WWF when they took the upper hand but before things became truly dire for WCW if WCW's contracts were so generous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

Why were so many people seemingly desperate to jump to the WWF when they took the upper hand but before things became truly dire for WCW if WCW's contracts were so generous?

You could make more money in the WWF if you wanted to work for it, with a few exceptions. Big Show got a way better deal from Vince, and Jericho knew there was more opportunity there too. However, if you are Bill Goldberg would you want to give up 3 million dollars per year for several years when you didn't have to do a thing for it? Let's say Vince offers him a million downside (and he probably wouldn't go that high.) What happens if you get injured and miss 9 months? You will lose out on millions. But if you were a midcard geek in WCW with some talent, you could make big bucks with Vince if he pushed you.