Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Dandy Shrew posted:

I wasn't going to go either way, I just don't know how to tell them WHY without alienating myself further.

Lie about a prior engagement. "Sorry, Spacecamp" or "I'd love to, but Venus is in the house of the waxing moon, you know I can't travel". Lying to your family about why you don't want to see them is a time honored tradition. Telling antivaxers they are crazy just excites them, and it's not like the one study you e-mail them is going to even make a dent in the 24/7 bombardment of crazy and homeopathic healing MLM scams they marinate in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Dandy Shrew posted:

How do you guys deal with family members who don't vaccinate/don't BELIEVE in vaccination, and their desire for interacting with your kid(s)? My husbands family are all a bunch of anti-vaxxer homeopaths, and there's some sort of party/reunion we're being pressured into going to because only my husbands father and sister have met the baby. I'm kinda skeeved out by it because in every persons home I visited before having the baby, not one of these mother fuckers even had handsoap in their bathrooms. Is there a tactful way to be like "nah, y'all are gross", or do I just turn off my phone and feign ignorance?

We asked all of our family members to get the pertussis vaccination since we've had an outbreak here and it is dangerous for infants (as in 1 in 2 babies that get it end up in the hospital). Everyone complied except for my husband's dad and step mom. We made very clear that this was very important to us, given the stats and reasons why, and since they have refused to get the vaccine, they don't get to see him until he's fully protected via his vaccines. We made this clear to everyone when I was about 36 weeks pregnant.

His dad now says that they "don't believe in vaccines" but it is totally his wife since he has gotten vaccines in the past and its only the wife pressuring him against them. But, we're holding everyone to the same standard, and it is our son, so our rules. They keep trying to blame us but my husband has been very good about indicating to them every time they ask to come over that we'd love to see them and introduce them to Ben provided they've gotten the pertussis vaccine. The last time they asked my husband said "oh you want to stop by? Have you guys gotten the vaccine yet? No? Well, my answer hasn't changed then." Since it is my husband's family we've had him do all the talking/explaining; if it was my family it would be me.

So, you don't really owe anyone an explanation beyond "since diseases that can be vaccinated against are so dangerous for babies if they get them, we are not going to bring him around people who aren't fully vaccinated against them until he is.". That's it. You don't need any other explanation and honestly if you try to justify anymore it will likely end in a pissing match anyway. Just say that asnd make it clear that the choice you and your husband made is not up for discussion or debate and if they'd like to see him earlier than he being fully vaccinated they can choose to get themselves up to date on their shots.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
When do babies get their TDAP again? I had to get it redone when my 1st kid was born, but I don't remember when he got his, or when number two gets his.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

sullat posted:

When do babies get their TDAP again? I had to get it redone when my 1st kid was born, but I don't remember when he got his, or when number two gets his.

2, 4, and 6 months.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

Papercut posted:

Don't let them interact with your kids until they (your kids) have finished their vaccination schedule, which I think is sometime as a teenager. There's plenty of information here:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/default.htm

I mean seriously, it's like asking how to safely take your children to a leper colony. My family are pretty huge into garbage homeopathic stuff but they at least weren't crazy enough to be anti-vaxxers.

Ugh. I am mentally preparing myself to deal with this as well. My parents recently became anti-vaxxers, and still have three of my siblings living with them with incomplete vaccine histories. We had a scare this past summer where I thought one of my sisters gave our 1.5 year old pertussis.

Never again! Now I am getting ready to tell them they can't see baby #2 (expected in March) unless they have flu and pertussis vaccines. I anticipate a terrible outcome, but the health of my kids is way more important.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Dandy Shrew posted:

I wasn't going to go either way, I just don't know how to tell them WHY without alienating myself further.

The problem is that there's really no polite way to tell complete idiots that they're being complete idiots. I really feel for you people with anti-vaxxers in your family.

At my first prenatal visit the bloodwork showed that my rubella vaccine had worn off, and you can't get the rubella vaccine while pregnant, so I was dependant on herd immunity to keep my baby safe during pregnancy. It pisses me off to no end that people are throwing away all the amazing work vaccines have done because of some imagined danger to themselves/their kids while being perfectly happy to mooch off the herd immunity provided by everyone else getting vaccinations.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

Molybdenum posted:

I'm not much of a germophobe, I'm not a big fan of those alcohol based hand sanitizers and what not, but this is revolting. Do they at least shower? What do they do after using the toilet? What if they mess up a wipe and get doodoo on their hand?!

Dude, I don't even fuckin' know. My husbands brother lived with us for a bit last year, and in the 3 months he lived with us, I never once saw evidence of him ever having brushed his teeth. It's like my husband, his dad, and his sister are the only people on that side of the family with any respect towards hygiene.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dandy Shrew posted:

Dude, I don't even fuckin' know. My husbands brother lived with us for a bit last year, and in the 3 months he lived with us, I never once saw evidence of him ever having brushed his teeth. It's like my husband, his dad, and his sister are the only people on that side of the family with any respect towards hygiene.

:gonk:

This might be time to invoke the E/N advice of "sever"

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Hobo Erotica posted:

Routine / Schedule stuff

This was from a few weeks ago, thanks for the replies, sorry to do the 'post and run', we were still trying to get our heads around the whole thing.

I'm very happy to report that he just slept through the night for the 7th time in a row. Put him down at 7, dream feed at 10:30, and then not a peep until 6:30 / 7 am the next morning.

The times became more of a guide, and we definitely listened to his cues, especially with the feeding. But now he's great, happy pretty much all the time, feeding well, and able to put himself to sleep. He might whimper for a bit, worst case scenario he'll cry for maybe 10 minutes, but after that he just drops off and we have the night to ourselves! At 3 months, I feel like we're going well.

Now that he's got that down, do you think we might be able to get away with putting him to sleep in a pram at 7, and taking us all out for dinner? Or will he wake up and get the shits?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I've had good success getting E to sleep at dinner parties in an ergo with my phone playing white noise to keep him from startling awake. Might work in a stroller too but the nice thing about wearing him is being able to immediately notice him being startled and rock/bounce him back to sleep.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

sheri posted:

So, you don't really owe anyone an explanation beyond "since diseases that can be vaccinated against are so dangerous for babies if they get them, we are not going to bring him around people who aren't fully vaccinated against them until he is.". That's it. You don't need any other explanation and honestly if you try to justify anymore it will likely end in a pissing match anyway. Just say that asnd make it clear that the choice you and your husband made is not up for discussion or debate and if they'd like to see him earlier than he being fully vaccinated they can choose to get themselves up to date on their shots.

Thanks for posting this, I'm about to broach this subject with my own mother and was feeling pretty anxious about it. She's not an anti-vaxxer as far as I am aware, but she can be downright argumentative about a lot of things so reading this has given me a little more confidence.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Hdip posted:

I've had good success getting E to sleep at dinner parties in an ergo with my phone playing white noise to keep him from startling awake. Might work in a stroller too but the nice thing about wearing him is being able to immediately notice him being startled and rock/bounce him back to sleep.

Yeah wearing him would defeat half the purpose, we want to be able to have dinner properly. Guess we've just got to give it a go (maybe with some white noise) and see how heavy a sleeper he really is.

Also had my first Father's Day on Sunday, that poo poo's awesome :3

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

sheri posted:

So, you don't really owe anyone an explanation beyond "since diseases that can be vaccinated against are so dangerous for babies if they get them, we are not going to bring him around people who aren't fully vaccinated against them until he is.". That's it. You don't need any other explanation and honestly if you try to justify anymore it will likely end in a pissing match anyway. Just say that and make it clear that the choice you and your husband made is not up for discussion or debate and if they'd like to see him earlier than he being fully vaccinated they can choose to get themselves up to date on their shots.

Just wanted to say thanks for this :) I trimmed it down and personalized it and set it as a facebook status. Mostly people have been cool with it, but there have been a few suspiciously timed snide counter-statuses because passive aggression is the only way some relatives know how to communicate, which makes it super awesome that they're the ones that I now have a legitimate excuse to avoid!

Volmarias posted:

:gonk:

This might be time to invoke the E/N advice of "sever"

I think I actually made an e/n thread about said brother in law.. the not brushing teeth thing was the least of his offenses :gonk:

(tl;dr we severed)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Glad I could help. :)

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Regarding birthdays, for our daughter's first birthday, we just had family over and let our kid have cake for the first time.

For future ones, my wife wants the follow the rule of thumb that you can only invite as many kids over as years old you are--so for her second birthday, she'll be able to invite two people, and so on. We are fortunate in that our daughter has several other toddlers around her age that we know.

Regarding vaccines, I'm in the category of people who get really pissed off when people peddle lies that put my child's health at risk. I know arguing tends to be pointless, as does pointing to links, but I really like this site as a summary of some of the idiocy out there.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Just send anti-vaccers links to youtube videos of babies with pertussis and other horrible illnesses that can be prevented. If they don't give a poo poo they have no soul and aren't human so you know never to talk to them again or trust them!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Connors birthday is in January and I'm understanding now why I got such crappy presents when I was young (January birthday too) - it feels obscene buying him even more stuff when there's toys in his room from Christmas that he's not even opened and his drawers are bulging with new clothes he'll probably only wear once or twice. So so far his birthdays have been very low key, visits to grandmas for chocolate cake. But now he's getting old enough to appreciate it I'll definitely be throwing parties for him.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
Hi thread, I picked up a seahorse for Lyddie after reading about how so many people in here loved it, and she loves it too! She fell asleep listening to it on her very first night with it.

I did just find a somewhat alarming thing about it, though, when checking the Amazon reviews - it seems to have an overheating problem when the batteries are changed, especially (specifically?) when replaced with rechargeable batteries. This YouTube video shows the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J8Q6mnpRAM. The coil gets red-hot and singes the plastic. Several consumer-reported incidents along the same lines on SaferProducts.gov as well.

Has anyone run into this problem? Is it safe with non-rechargeable batteries?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
I had no idea. We have two, and one has been going strong for over five years, and the other for over two. I don't use recharables, and we have never had a single problem. I looked at your links, and it seems like the problem occurs with rechargables exclusively. They can cause problems in other devices as well.

(I am so negative with regards to rechargables. We have had the shittiest luck over the years, with a couple of different systems, and I am just done with them. :( )

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm pretty sure it's come up here, definitely has been posted on the Facebook group at least. The nice thing about this fault is that if it happens, you're going to know as soon as you put the batteries in. We haven't had any problems with ours but we don't use rechargables.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
Sounds right to me, thank you for the quick replies. I don't have rechargeables around but have given my husband and babysitter the heads-up about the issue, just in case.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

Helena Handbasket posted:

Hi thread, I picked up a seahorse for Lyddie after reading about how so many people in here loved it, and she loves it too! She fell asleep listening to it on her very first night with it.

I did just find a somewhat alarming thing about it, though, when checking the Amazon reviews - it seems to have an overheating problem when the batteries are changed, especially (specifically?) when replaced with rechargeable batteries. This YouTube video shows the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J8Q6mnpRAM. The coil gets red-hot and singes the plastic. Several consumer-reported incidents along the same lines on SaferProducts.gov as well.

Has anyone run into this problem? Is it safe with non-rechargeable batteries?

Oooh, mine did that the other week!! I was changing the batteries out and smelt something burning, looked down and it did exactly that, in the same place and all.

I was replacing regular batteries with rechargeable ones when it happened, for the first time ever.

I haven't bought a new seahorse yet because he's been sleeping fine with it sans batteries.

I was thinking of taking it back to where I bought it and getting a replacement because it's under a year old, and therefore still under warranty, but I don't have my receipt still and don't know if they will accept it or not.

iwik fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 5, 2013

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

They'll likely issue a recall shortly if it's still an ongoing problem - assuming people are reporting the issue.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Can someone get Roseola without the rash afterwards? The weekend before this last one Jasper got a sudden fever with no other symptoms one evening and was fine the next day. (He had the sniffles earlier in the week) I got a sudden high fever last night and its slowly getting better today. I'm trying to figure out if its related and what it could have been.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
So, the doctor suggested I start adding meats to Cs meals at 7-71/2 months. However the purees of meat gross me out. And while we're slowly working on finger foods (he loves watermelon), he's still getting the bulk of his food as purees, so I'm hesitant to do meat finger foods.

Is it okay to hold off on meat until he gets better at finger foods? It's not like he's missing anything - he weighed in at 20 lbs, 28 inches just today at his well baby appointment.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

Lullabee posted:

So, the doctor suggested I start adding meats to Cs meals at 7-71/2 months. However the purees of meat gross me out. And while we're slowly working on finger foods (he loves watermelon), he's still getting the bulk of his food as purees, so I'm hesitant to do meat finger foods.

Is it okay to hold off on meat until he gets better at finger foods? It's not like he's missing anything - he weighed in at 20 lbs, 28 inches just today at his well baby appointment.

Babies can be vegetarian so I can't imagine it would be a big deal. We're not there yet but we don't eat meat and don't plan on feeding the baby meat.

Also meat purees are gross

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Fish is a really easy food for babies to eat. And crumbled ground beef/turkey/pork is easy too.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Chickalicious posted:

Fish is a really easy food for babies to eat. And crumbled ground beef/turkey/pork is easy too.

thanks for the suggestions. Since we didn't start feeding purees until 6 months he's just starting to learn to chew, and I don't feel comfortable giving him chewy things until he's got a better hang of it.

And, I agree - pureed meat is nasty.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Doctor advised us to add meat to our 9 month olds diet due to low blood count. Wife made chicken, lentil, sweet potato puree. It goes over OK. Now we're on chicken, apple puree and that goes down a little easier for him. I think it was the lentil's he didn't like in the first one.

He still prefers vegetable puree's though. Or frozen watermelon Popsicles (piece in a mesh feeder bag)

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
We started offering meat around the one year mark, but David wasn't interested in meat until his first molars came in and he had something to chew it with. He never really liked puréed meat, and we never pushed the issue.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Lullabee posted:

thanks for the suggestions. Since we didn't start feeding purees until 6 months he's just starting to learn to chew, and I don't feel comfortable giving him chewy things until he's got a better hang of it.

And, I agree - pureed meat is nasty.

Are you making your own meat purees, or buying it ready-made? Making it yourself might be a little less gross (I'm not confident).

My kid won't touch any meat that is "stringy" in texture, so cubes of beef, pork, or chicken are out, and he'll only occasionally eat chicken nuggets or fish, and now he's started turning his nose up at chickpeas and lentils and the like, so I don't even know what. He doesn't seem to like peanut butter because it sticks to him. (He does love boiled peanuts, but they smell so bad while they're cooking. Sigh.) Until he (please lord) outgrows all this I guess I will stick to dairy for his protein needs.

Will your son eat eggs? Scrambled and even hardboiled eggs are easy for babies to eat. Arthur loves a good stinky hardboiled egg. (Maybe I should just start making him strictly stinky food!)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My son loves salmon, catfish, and mahi mahi. Flaky fish is great.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Chicken McNobody posted:

Are you making your own meat purees, or buying it ready-made? Making it yourself might be a little less gross (I'm not confident).

My kid won't touch any meat that is "stringy" in texture, so cubes of beef, pork, or chicken are out, and he'll only occasionally eat chicken nuggets or fish, and now he's started turning his nose up at chickpeas and lentils and the like, so I don't even know what. He doesn't seem to like peanut butter because it sticks to him. (He does love boiled peanuts, but they smell so bad while they're cooking. Sigh.) Until he (please lord) outgrows all this I guess I will stick to dairy for his protein needs.

Will your son eat eggs? Scrambled and even hardboiled eggs are easy for babies to eat. Arthur loves a good stinky hardboiled egg. (Maybe I should just start making him strictly stinky food!)

I dont know. He gagged on everything except breast milk until 6 months, so I'm really hesitant to jump in and give him big amounts of food. I made some homemade mashed potatoes and Annie's Mac n cheese with dinner to give to him to try out. Hes slowly getting there, so I'm not worried, I just wanted to check.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
There are a few of the baby food makers that are making puree mixes that include meat, so it's not just "ham and ham gravy" that smells like cat food. We've had the chicken and noodle soup puree and Em really likes that one, and also a chicken (or turkey) and apple one. They seem like the least gross meat baby foods you can find without making it yourself.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I think it depends on the meat, really.

I used to fry up some chicken, leeks and peas (all together, same pot) until they were cooked & soft, then blitz them either with a stick blender or in the food processor. Turned out a bit like pate, but then I'd make up a cheese sauce and some mash and stir it through, so really it was more like a fancy mashed potato.

I also would cook up some beef or chicken mince and pulse in the food processor until it was really fine - I didn't add any liquid so it wouldn't get pureed - then portion it out so I could add it to anything. I had frozen portions of pureed vegetables so it was easy to just mix & match. It was such a fine grind that it didn't require chewing, it just added a bit of texture (and protein) to whatever else he had.

If you're making vegetable purees already then it's not going to make it horrid if you add a little cooked meat to it while you're blending it all up.

No way would I try and puree fresh meat, that would be nasty. I cooked it all first.

iwik fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 6, 2013

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We would give our son a big piece of fatty steak to gnaw on. He couldn't bite off bits but he really enjoyed sucking out the fats and juices.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Plum Organics makes a corn, carrot & turkey pouch with sage that smells delicious. It's one of Archer's favorite meals. If you do meat that's mixed with other stuff it isn't gross like the straight meat purées.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

GoreJess posted:

Plum Organics makes a corn, carrot & turkey pouch with sage that smells delicious. It's one of Archer's favorite meals. If you do meat that's mixed with other stuff it isn't gross like the straight meat purées.

Yeah, I never gave my kid the meat purees right out of the jar. I'd mix them with jars of green beans or peas. Then I sent him to school with some and got notes home that he won't eat meat. What the hell man, green beans and turkey is his favorite thing? Went in to talk to them, turns out they were trying to give him spoons of meat goo and he was going "gently caress no"

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
We ended up using some of the vegetable/meat purees we bought as "sauce" that our daughter really loved dipping her other solids in. She hated the purees otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Our daughter hated baby foods, and only wanted to eat real food (such as we could prepare it for someone without teeth). Never any purees here.