Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

stevewm posted:

They really are bottom of the barrel. Other than Verizon Wireless, I have never really had great service from any telecom company. Its like there is a unwritten rule that they must have bad customer service.

I have to say, Sasktel has been really good when I've needed to deal with them. The others, Bell, Rogers and Telus are beyond terrible.

Content: One of the users made a private event calendar entry to show another user how to do it. Now they cant delete it. I tried as the domain admin to delete the entry and I couldn't remove it, even logging in as the calendar AD account itself and it wont let me delete it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

deimos posted:

The cause: A loving STAPLE DANCING AROUND THE MOTHERBOARD.

[img-topper-from-Dilbert.jpg]

That's nothing!

I had a customer with a Canon DR-3060 scanner. These are lovely little devices and there's plenty of 10 year old ones still in service. They look like this:

I get called out because the computer can't see the scanner. I get there and the scanner won't even turn on. Replace the power lead with a known good one, still dead. Ok time to call out a hardware guy.

Hardware guy turns up and is amazed at what he saw.

So it turns out that if you ignore the instructions, and scan documents that are still stapled togegher, sometimes the staple gets ripped out of the paper and drops through various holes into the innards of the scanner.

Inside the scanner the motherboard and the PSU sit next to each other with a little gap between them, both raised up on standoffs.

The motherboard was covered in staples. The gap between the motherboard and PSU had filled up with staples enough to create a building surface to allow more staples to build up eventually bridging the 230V AC input stage to the motherboard and burnning it out.

The customer asked if that was covered under warranty. It wasn't.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

AlexDeGruven posted:

From everything I've heard through friends that are subjected to their awfulness, it's much worse.

AT&T's tech + Time Warner's Customer Service + Sprint's cellular backhaul = The Frontier Experience (tm), from what I've been able to gather.

Frontier once managed to fuckup a DSL install to the point it took 3 and a half days to fix. All because when they made the circuit, they home'd it out of the wrong router. But I had to deal with their fuckup techsupport to days trying to explain things like "It gets a DSL signal but no IP connectivity" and was ignored. Days of "send a tech for the love of god get a tech on site now." Finally they got a tech out, he plugs in, gets nowhere and the next tech shows up. They get on the phone with their internal support and find the issue, its fixed in 2 hours.
The fun part was sending them the bill for the Diebold tech, those dudes charge over 100 bucks an hour, and we made Frontier pay it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mugrim posted:

I've worked underpaid non-profits and blue collar work/mcjobs all my life, is this really how entitled white collar America is?
When the COO's new exec assistant shows up for the first day with a canine-style tilted-head glazed expression when you start to describe how to access the areas she needs for her job, and then states, "I don't actually know how to use Excel, can you show me how?" You'll realize that yes, it can and is that bad and worse.

Note that the job opening stated specifically that a high degree of competency in Excel, Powerpoint, and Word were the main skills involved. Basically now she just sends in tickets asking IT for "help" which means we end up either doing it for her or wasting a day showing her how before she repeats the request for "help" the next week. COO doesn't give a gently caress, she makes copies (and ~20% more pay than I do a year.)

I mean, all I want is to be able to go to HR and say "Hey this new person? Yeah they lied on their application and they can't do their job." Instead the COO tells us, "We R customer service!" (with an 'R') when we ask about support scope limitations

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 4, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Apparently it is fantasy draft day.

Apparently this affects our ability to get poo poo done.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

coyo7e posted:

When the COO's new exec assistant shows up for the first day with a canine-style tilted-head glazed expression when you start to describe how to access the areas she needs for her job, and then states, "I don't actually know how to use Excel, can you show me how?" You'll realize that yes, it can and is that bad and worse.

Note that the job opening stated specifically that a high degree of competency in Excel, Powerpoint, and Word were the main skills involved. Basically now she just sends in tickets asking IT for "help" which means we end up either doing it for her or wasting a day showing her how before she repeats the request for "help" the next week. COO doesn't give a gently caress, she makes copies (and ~20% more pay than I do a year.)

I mean, all I want is to be able to go to HR and say "Hey this new person? Yeah they lied on their application and they can't do their job." Instead the COO tells us, "We R customer service!" (with an 'R') when we ask about support scope limitations

Can you guess who is banging the COO in this story? Hint:It's not you. I hope anyways.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Trastion posted:

Can you guess who is banging the COO in this story? Hint:It's not you. I hope anyways.

That policy (Customer Service First, or however you want to phrase it) only works if everyone adheres to it. We have a similar thing here, and the end result is that the burden of effort and thought is dumped onto the conscientious 5% of employees who are actually following the policy (or more likely, they just want to get poo poo done). Everyone else has figured out that all they have to do is directly contact one of the people who actually tries, bypassing all ostensibly required protocol like calling the help desk first. That way, they won't have to make any kind of effort or adhere to any policy, and they don't get called out on it because the people in charge don't give a poo poo either. All they care about is that their department looks good, and to hell with the fact that their very best people are in the middle of slow-motion nervous breakdowns from overwork. Even telling the user something like "I'll fix it this time but next time you need to please call the help desk first" is frowned upon because it makes them feel bad or something.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

A good workplace. Guessing a lot of sales people?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Who the gently caress drafts in the middle of the day on a Wednesday?

E: forgot season starts tomorrow. Their fault for waiting this long.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

pr0digal posted:

My daily dose of "you've got to be loving kidding me"

that's a tic tac
You gonna eat that?

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Lord Byron III posted:

Sounds exactly like my previous job. Unreasonably high standards for the car were coupled with zero reimbursement for maintenance or car related expenses. I like to document my work but when there's 15 minutes scheduled between each ticket (and anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours between sites) it's simply not worth it.

For content: has anyone used a decent ticketing system? If so, what's it like? I've been on the receiving end of AutoTask, ConnectWise and "just use email." None of them had any kind of worth as far as I could tell.

People here recommended Spiceworks to me almost two years ago and it has worked perfectly *(except when I've failed to configure something or take advantage of a feature.)*

I'd also highly recommend it. Very simple to configure, easy to maintain. Free, ad supported but there is a paid feature that eliminates the ads.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The whole idea of "customer service" for internal IT seems kind of weird to me to begin with. They're your co-workers not someone who is trying to buy poo poo from you.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

rscott posted:

The whole idea of "customer service" for internal IT seems kind of weird to me to begin with. They're your co-workers not someone who is trying to buy poo poo from you.

My co-workers are my customers. They can be just as dumb and argumentative as any random person who walks into a retail store. My job isn't to make them happy, but it's to make sure that they can do their jobs, and make sure their equipment works. If they are pleased with my response to getting their issues fixed then that makes me happy.

It's actually my favorite part of my job because it's the things that I do that get an immediate feedback. I'm not a nameless faceless person on the other end of the phone when my cable internet is broken and they want to power cycle the modem for a fifth time. I'm a human who comes over, asks questions, and my results are highly visible. They tell their bosses or my bosses that I'm doing a good job, and I even get requests for me to come look at things because I fix them and I'm friendly about it.

Also, it's great feeling like a god when all I did was put a shortcut on someone's desktop and he was ECSTATIC.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

rscott posted:

Internal IT isn't a revenue-generating department. Lots of IT managers make their employees bend over backwards just to compensate this fact.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Dead Cow posted:

My co-workers are my customers. They can be just as dumb and argumentative as any random person who walks into a retail store. My job isn't to make them happy, but it's to make sure that they can do their jobs, and make sure their equipment works. If they are pleased with my response to getting their issues fixed then that makes me happy.

It's actually my favorite part of my job because it's the things that I do that get an immediate feedback. I'm not a nameless faceless person on the other end of the phone when my cable internet is broken and they want to power cycle the modem for a fifth time. I'm a human who comes over, asks questions, and my results are highly visible. They tell their bosses or my bosses that I'm doing a good job, and I even get requests for me to come look at things because I fix them and I'm friendly about it.

Also, it's great feeling like a god when all I did was put a shortcut on someone's desktop and he was ECSTATIC.

Quick/instant gratuity is the best part of this job.

I don't like it so much when a problem somebody is complaining about "fixes itself" as soon as I show up and haven't touched anything.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A new employee called to complain about a slow spreadsheet she was working on over the network. Three tabs, about 100 megabyte file. My new boss had been working with her so she joined in the complaint.

I took a look and there appeared to be hardly any data and no weird stuff pasted in. I told her about a time years ago when I found that someone had accidentally formatted the maximum spreadsheet size which was then 65k x 65k cells.

She said "No way I did that!" A quick CTRL-END proved her wrong.

Formatted all the way down to row 1,048,516. :stare:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

rscott posted:

You mean you're not living in the joyful world of internal billing and internal SLAs?
We were "outsourced" from the hospitals proper to the regional health trust (who owns all the hospitals) with costs frozen for two years to the level they were at when we made the switch. We're finally getting on top of it now and have even been allowed to pad our prices by 10% to be able to afford non visible internal poo poo that the hospitals won't pay for directly. Like consolidating the loving CMDB from the 8 separate ones we inherited from the hospitals.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I was told yesterday that I wasn't trusted to do my job.

They trusted me to:

Setup CentOS complete with a raid1+0 array with multiple LVM's.
Setup Samba, NFS, IP-Tables, (while keeping SELinux on. :smug:), Gerrit, and a slew of other things.
Create hardware monitoring scripts that will make the server beep constantly if the raid freaks out.
Create and manage a script that snapshots the lvm and uploads it to our onsite backup server, which then once a week uploads to the offsite server.

But I am not trusted to say it's working properly. :suicide:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

rscott posted:

God, tell me about it.

I just finished a rotation of working on internal company projects.

CUSTOMERS will give me the information I require in order to finish their projects, because they are paying, and will be wasting money if they dont.
CUSTOMERS might ask me to do stupid things, but management will back me up when I say its a bad idea/unsupportable (mostly)

however, my INTERNAL customers don't feel they need to follow any process, because they arent paying, and if they waste my time, it doesn't cost them anything.
my INTERNAL customers will demand I do stupid things (no switch failover, raid 0 on OS disks, etc) and I will be told to do it because "its part of the internal scope document" and then support will reject it, meaning that I have to start all over again. Also because this doesn't cost them any money.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Any suggestions for converting MBOX to PST, for that one executive that absolutely insists on using Outlook...?

Doesn't have to be free, but Googling brings up tonnes of excessively-priced stuff. Seems to be a bit of a lucrative niche.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

drukqs posted:

Quick/instant gratuity is the best part of this job.

I don't like it so much when a problem somebody is complaining about "fixes itself" as soon as I show up and haven't touched anything.

80% of the time when something "fixes itself" is because when you asked them to show you what they were doing, they'll slow down and do each step diligently in order and correctly so then they say 'OH! Guess it works now!'

The other 20% :iiam: I fix things by standing next to the computers all the time.

edit:

nitrogen posted:

God, tell me about it.

I just finished a rotation of working on internal company projects.
Also because this doesn't cost them any money.

Mention ROI. It's costing them money they don't ever think about until you say those three little letters then it hits them like a ton of bricks.

I'm not certain who your company projects are for, but those are the times when I go to their bosses. "Hey so and so isn't giving me the information I need. I'd really like to get going on this project, the faster I get it completed the better the ROI looks." It's my favorite money buzzword. I've even gone to the head of sales and he's gotten his department to calm down a little bit in the 'ask IT for bullshit' type requests by going over the ROI numbers. They still ask programming for absurd poo poo though but that's not my department.

Dead Cow fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 4, 2013

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So a call came in,

Some guy calling in for one of the owners and named him specifically. All the guy was willing to give me was his first name but not who he worked for. The only other thing I was able to get from him was "he had good news for the owner and wanted to share it with him" But not with me because I am a peon or something.

This sounds like some sort of cold sales call but the guy is being all secret agent about it.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 4, 2013

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in,

Some guy calling in for one of the owners and named him specifically. All the guy was willing to give me was his first name but not who he worked for. The only other thing I was able to get from him was "he had good news for the owner and wanted to share it with him" But not with me because I am a peon or something.

This sounds like some sort of cold sales call but the guy is being all secret agent about it.

"Fantastic! We can always use more good news. However, we've had some wormy sales people cold calling the boss man with promises of good news if you know what I mean. *chuckle knowingly here* Anyway, if I could just get a little information from you, I'll forward you along..."

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in,

When I got these calls I'd always just take their name and callback number to forward to my boss. My boss always complained about how much spam I forwarded to him. I guess he didn't quite understand that I was actually just trying to show him how much time I was losing out of my already impacted day to play receptionist.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

namol posted:

Lto3, stepping up to the early 2000s! We're fortunate enough to have 5 LTO5 drives but we never compress crap because hp data protector is absolute crap and slowly kills me everyday.

Hah. Forgot to mention that this was for my home, not for anything work related. I'd love to have LTO5 in my house, but who has the scratch for that?

Compression? Hah. The majority of my data is software ISOs, movies and music, none of which compresses for poo poo.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dead Cow posted:

The other 20% :iiam: I fix things by standing next to the computers all the time.

Techs in general are IT-whisperers. My wife regularly accuses me of having affairs with computer equipment because "it only wants to work when you touch it".

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Then you reply "Look at how little of an effort it took me :smug:".

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Can anybody recommend a good replacement for a Zotac Zbox? I basically want full blown desktop performance in the same slim profile... Our current break room presentation screen has one of these slim machines tucked behind a television. It totally choked up and hung during a presentation by a very important person. Couldn't handle playing a 720p video full screen and stream a Skype call simultaneously.

I'm reluctant to, but would gladly trade out a slim profile for better performance, I don't want us to make the same mistake our predecessor did by ordering such a piece of junk. Budget is probably in the 600-1200 dollar range depending on how high end the system is. My boss *might* be open to just deploying a tower machine and tucking it out of sight. (that's kind of what I would prefer, personally.)

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

What about a intel next unit of computing? URL

Very small, passive cooling (or active small fan), And a SSD/i5 combo in a small package. It should run 1080p without issues.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

drukqs posted:

Can anybody recommend a good replacement for a Zotac Zbox? I basically want full blown desktop performance in the same slim profile... Our current break room presentation screen has one of these slim machines tucked behind a television. It totally choked up and hung during a presentation by a very important person. Couldn't handle playing a 720p video full screen and stream a Skype call simultaneously.

I'm reluctant to, but would gladly trade out a slim profile for better performance, I don't want us to make the same mistake our predecessor did by ordering such a piece of junk. Budget is probably in the 600-1200 dollar range depending on how high end the system is. My boss *might* be open to just deploying a tower machine and tucking it out of sight. (that's kind of what I would prefer, personally.)

I just rolled out a Lenovo tiny with an SSD and on paper it looks like a solid little machine. Though to be fair its not being used for anything taxing so i dont know how well it preforms under stress.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 4, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

drukqs posted:

Our current break room presentation screen has one of these slim machines tucked behind a television. It totally choked up and hung during a presentation by a very important person.

Wouldn't people get more done/feel more comfortable using their own laptop with their own 250+ desktop icons? We have TVs in conf rooms with a vga cable under the floor coming out the table.

(at 1st it was no more personal printers, now with these TVs hung up, no more projectors!)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Due to a hardware problem, with the actual IBM blade server, [server] went off line. Initial trouble shooting was non-conclusive as to what the problem could be. After 3 reboots of the server, the physical blade hardware would no longer finish a power up boot cycle. [Drew] provided a working replacement blade. Qlogic cards were swapped, and the new hardware was booted.

Once the new hardware was up and running, there was a conflict with network devices which took a while to get resolved.
Awesome troubleshooting, guys. And it was only down for a two and a half hours! High-fives all around.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

zeroaccess rootkit you are my current bane! At the very least it's a side job I'm getting paid cash for and doing this while I'm on the clock at work.

The windows offline defender or whatever is pretty awesome, owned a bunch of stuff that no other scanner found!

The downside is that currently I can't get rid of this loving thing, I've thrown the book at it and it's still lingering somewhere... my last option is to combofix... which I've been somewhat hesitant to do.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

drukqs posted:

Can anybody recommend a good replacement for a Zotac Zbox?
What Zotac Zbox? Zbox is just a line of computers with wildly varying configurations, it would be pretty important to know what is currently not meeting your needs. I mean an Atom-based system is obviously useless for anything, Atoms are literally slower than the processors in your cellphone so I don't understand how anyone thought they could be used in a desktop-like machine.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 4, 2013

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

incoherent posted:

What about a intel next unit of computing? URL

Very small, passive cooling (or active small fan), And a SSD/i5 combo in a small package. It should run 1080p without issues.

Yeah I like this idea... I'm going to go full-court-press with the full tower (I have one on-hand that my boss wants to use for something really dumb) but I would like to see how this NUC thing performs.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

Wagonburner posted:

Wouldn't people get more done/feel more comfortable using their own laptop with their own 250+ desktop icons? We have TVs in conf rooms with a vga cable under the floor coming out the table.

(at 1st it was no more personal printers, now with these TVs hung up, no more projectors!)

Yeah that was actually an option for us today, we do have HDMI cables that you can unravel and connect directly to your PC. there was a perfectly capable MBP right nearby but they insisted on using this presentation machine.

Whatever, not my money.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

incoherent posted:

Then you reply "Look at how little of an effort it took me :smug:".

:byodame: "Why don't you put this effort into our relationship?!"

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

my last option is to combofix... which I've been somewhat hesitant to do.
Why wasn't this the first thing you did?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

When Combofix fucks up, and it does sometimes, it fucks up bad and can be much worse than whatever you were using it to fix in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Galler posted:

When Combofix fucks up, and it does sometimes, it fucks up bad and can be much worse than whatever you were using it to fix in the first place.

The Malwarebytes anti-rootkit software seems to work fairly well

• Locked thread