Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
The real question is, which convention will get the exclusive Evil Rhinox repaint from "Dark Designs"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Keldroc posted:

The real question is, which convention will get the exclusive Evil Rhinox repaint from "Dark Designs"?

Transformers Collector's Club :negative:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You just know that it's more likely the realistic rhino will be repainted in bright red and yellow as Headstrong.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Yonic Symbolism posted:

You just know that it's more likely the realistic rhino will be repainted in bright red and yellow as Headstrong.

Backstop! Or Fox Kids Rhinox.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The g1 reference is always the most likely option, no matter how hilariously garish.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

WendigoJohnson posted:

The G1 backstory was that Wheeljack used Autobot resources to build the Dinobots because....

The comic one was the only one that made any sense, Shockwave braindamages a bunch of Autobots and makes them his experiments.

Also it's a myth that walking vehicles would topple over under heavy fire, John Deere made some magic tree cutting robot that doesn't do that. It's designed to pillage trees while also surviving assorted fire from groups of South American rebels.

Where you getting this from? The G1 comic tale was The Ark re-purposed Grimlock et al as Dinosaurs to combat Shockwave a few hundred thousand years ago when he came looking for..the Ark/Decepticons I suppose. They all fought to a standstill and ended up trapped in a tar pit for that time, then they all got loose.

I'm going off memory here, i'll check the G1 comics I have then come back.

Also WendigoJohnson no bother, let me know.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
For anyone interested in buying anything from me, I'm on a bit of a tight schedule so will probably start listing things on eBay on Saturday if no one takes them.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I had someone aproach me ahead of you, you get first refusal if they don't want to go ahead.

For those that asked, it seems sending a 7 ounce (200mg) deluxe class is about £5 ($8?) normally and £10($15?) tracked and insured, taking 4-5 days. Leader Magatron will be more like £7.20 and £12.60.

I also have an Animated Grimlock and an incomplete Cybertron Starscream, so the full list is:

Reveal the Shield Wreck-Gar (still in packaging)
Generations Deluxe Straxus/Darmount
Animated Leader Megatron
Animated Voyager Grimlock
Animated Deluxe Jetfire and Jetstorm
Animated Deluxe Sentinel Prime
Animated Deluxe Lockdown (black version)
Animated Deluxe Soundwave (original blue version)
Animated Voyager Blitzwing
Animated Voyager Wreck-gar
Animated Voyager Shockwave
Generations Deluxe Laser Prime
Cybertron Voyager Starscream (instructions, rear fins, key and gun missing)

Has anyone shipped a packaged deluxe blister before? Trying to figure our how best to package it them, I don't think they sell suitably sized boxes.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Goldskull posted:

Where you getting this from? The G1 comic tale was The Ark re-purposed Grimlock et al as Dinosaurs to combat Shockwave a few hundred thousand years ago when he came looking for..the Ark/Decepticons I suppose. They all fought to a standstill and ended up trapped in a tar pit for that time, then they all got loose.

I think he means the current comic backstory in the IDW continuity and/or the Fall of Cybertron Dinobot explanation.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Goldskull posted:

I'm going off memory here, i'll check the G1 comics I have then come back.

Also WendigoJohnson no bother, let me know.

I was talking about the IDW war within origin.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Backstop! Or Fox Kids Rhinox.

There's already a Generations Backstop. He was released in the 2010 line.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WendigoJohnson posted:

War Within was Dreamwave. I know, we all try to forget about that company.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The current IDW Dinobots origin is a little confusing. The Monstrosity comic has them, especially Grimlock, transforming into weird Cybertronian monsters when they lose their cool, which is fine in and of itself, but the initial arc where they were introduced around Maximum Dynobots had them using Beast Wars-esque alt modes to survive Shockwave's poisonous Ore-13 energon deposits on Earth. It was implied that the Dynobots (clever team name, by the way. Sounds like Dinobots but has nothing to do with prehistoric Earth creatures) were kind of freaked out by having to take beast modes and had existing vehicle modes. On the other hand, they've had millions of years to cure themselves of whatever they had.

I don't have my comics with me at the moment, so I could be wrong, of course.

I would like to see more backstory on Skar or an appearance of Paddles, honestly.

Grimlock has just been getting more and more messed up, like Movie Bumblebee, but in a good way. He's not dumb, just ain't got time to leak.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Grimlock has just been getting more and more messed up, like Movie Bumblebee, but in a good way. He's not dumb, just ain't got time to leak.

The last we saw of Big Grim in current IDW continuity, he was pretty much braindead. Like, saying "Me Grimlock" was about the best he could manage.

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009
Because I jumped into the IDW party late all I've seen of Grimlock has been in Monstrosity and the Dinobots in MTMTE. What is their story in IDWverse?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Phy posted:

The last we saw of Big Grim in current IDW continuity, he was pretty much braindead. Like, saying "Me Grimlock" was about the best he could manage.

I thought (rather significant MTMTE spoiler) we saw him playing cards or something when all the forged bots are seen dying? Was that not him? .

Edit: yeah he's stacking blocks. Not exactly a high-function activity but not brain dead, right?

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 5, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

PriNcessofDarXness posted:

Because I jumped into the IDW party late all I've seen of Grimlock has been in Monstrosity and the Dinobots in MTMTE. What is their story in IDWverse?

The Dynobots are loyal to Grimlock, and Grimlock is a loose cannon cop on the edge who doesn't play by the rules.

They went after Shockwave, who was on Earth testing his energon Ore-13, one of his many energon experiments. In the early stages, it's very toxic to Cybertronians, so the Dynobots get dinosaur forms, like in Beast Wars. Shockwave has a personal shield because he knows how dangerous his experiments can be. The protected dinosaur forms are the best the Dinobots can do on short notice. I think they were implied to have vehicle forms like in the Dreamwave comics, but I don't have my back issues with me, so I'm not 100 percent on Monstrosity retconning this.

In the early days of the IDW comics, they had an emphasis on covert teams in disguise and the Autobot
-Decepticon war was a cold one. Starscream's team on Earth consisted of the Skywarp, Thundercracker, Astrotrain, Blitzwing, Runabout and Runamuck. Prowl's team consisted of Bumblebee, Ironhide, Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, and Jazz and Ratchet. Finding the Ore-13 on Earth got Megatron and Optimus Prime involved directly in what was, in the big scheme of things, a backwater conflict. (Which kind of makes you wonder why they had both Prowl AND Jazz there.) Overlord, from Last Stand of the Wreckers, was a "closer" for Megatron's six stage plan to strip mine a planet without the inhabitants knowing until it was too late. Before any of the big guns showed up, it was all cloak and dagger stuff.

Furman had some good ideas, honestly. He still has that hilariously pulpy British feel, so that can really put some people off. The Headmasters were pretty interesting, I thought. The whole concept of Head/Targetmasters is pretty stupid though if you ask me. The Pretenders, likewise, we're an interesting choice, especially with what they did to Kup. (Where did he go, anyway? The zombie universe crossover just ate him?)

Back to the Dinobots, in dinosaur days. Their halfassed plan backfired on them and Grimlock got them all buried alive for millions of years rather than let Shockwave escape. The Dinobots forgave him, eventually, and he got them pardoned from their insubordination charges when he surrendered to Ultra Magnus, the DULY APOINTED ENFORCER OF THE TYREST ACCORD. Grimlock was imprisoned on Garrus-9, and mysteriously disappeared during Overlord's coup. I guess he was in some kind of cryopod for transit, and suffered some brain damage.

EDIT: jumped around there a little, sorry. Mostly fixed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 6, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

I thought (rather significant MTMTE spoiler) we saw him playing cards or something when all the forged bots are seen dying? Was that not him? .

Edit: yeah he's stacking blocks. Not exactly a high-function activity but not brain dead, right?

I'm guessing comic Grimlock is going to wind up being more like G1 cartoon Grimlock now.

Also, the new TFCC figure is Rewind. He looks cool, but I don't think I trust the club enough to get another sub.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Now that is interesting, there being a Rewind figure out earlier this year. Any word on a mould?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Now that is interesting, there being a Rewind figure out earlier this year. Any word on a mould?

It's the Reveal The Shield Rumble/Frenzy tank mold that never made it to shelves in America but had a run in Japan under the United toyline.

In other words, expect it to be the most expensive after-market figure of the TFCC exclusives next year.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm so, so happy I skipped those and got MP Frenzy/Rumble now.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Some people don't like that tank mold. I have the United two-pack, and I think they're fine, but QC seems to be all over the place with those guys and I guess I was lucky.

I wouldn't mind having a Rewind of that mold on my shelf, but drat is he gonna be crazy expensive on the aftermarket and I sure as hell don't trust the loving club with my money. Are they going to get my credit card info stolen again? Am I gonna throw down $300 and wait a whole drat year for figures to come out?

Hell, I LIKE a LOT of the toys the club does, but is it worth the money? Or the risk? If any of y'all want to, go ahead, but I've been burned by them too many times...

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Captain Magic posted:

Pretty sure that was Jenga. Twice this year, Jenga gets to be associated with death of cool characters.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Some people don't like that tank mold. I have the United two-pack, and I think they're fine, but QC seems to be all over the place with those guys and I guess I was lucky.

I wouldn't mind having a Rewind of that mold on my shelf, but drat is he gonna be crazy expensive on the aftermarket and I sure as hell don't trust the loving club with my money. Are they going to get my credit card info stolen again? Am I gonna throw down $300 and wait a whole drat year for figures to come out?

Hell, I LIKE a LOT of the toys the club does, but is it worth the money? Or the risk? If any of y'all want to, go ahead, but I've been burned by them too many times...

Yeah, two credit card fraud incidents both suspiciously close to times I provided my info to FunPub for a club subscription means I'm going to just have to live without their exclusives unless I buy them off the secondary market. I expect there will be a third-party Rewind at some point that is less of a financial risk and/or burden, too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So last night I made my first Transformers purchase since Fall of Cybertron when I grabbed the Construct Bots Ultimate Class Optimus Prime & Megatron Two Pack and so far it(like the rest of the line) looks very promising and I'll give it a full review once I've built them

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

WendigoJohnson posted:

There's already a Generations Backstop. He was released in the 2010 line.

My Bad on this, I was shouting BizarroAzrael on his Wreck-Gar rather than calling you out on the G1 Dinobots thing, got your names mixed up.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The_Doctor posted:

You know what that's a photoshop mockup of the paint.

Watch as the gold plastic turns out to be the lovely GPS prone gold plastic. The club exclusives do not use the best plastic quality or QC compared to the retail releases. They're strikingly inferior despite costing more money.

Not only that we're still missing a proper Classics Slugfest, we have Overkill in the form of repaint classics Grimlock. But Slugfest is really needed to finish off the Cassette bot discs before going into the two cassette combiners. At this point they'll probably retool Generations Legends Ramhorm into slugfest because he's the only cassette bot to not be re-used yet.

Also watch Hasbro re-use that tank mold for a mass release. It may not be the same character but if the club is using it something is going to come along and use that mold as well. Other than Rumble and Frenzy there's about a ton of other lesser known g1 guys that could use it.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 5, 2013

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

drrockso20 posted:

So last night I made my first Transformers purchase since Fall of Cybertron when I grabbed the Construct Bots Ultimate Class Optimus Prime & Megatron Two Pack and so far it(like the rest of the line) looks very promising and I'll give it a full review once I've built them

I'll actually be interested to here what you have to say. I did a mini-review of a few some pages back. I kinda like them and would like to see other folks creations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Really I don't see that Henkei Rumble/Frenzy mold as Rewind/Eject. It always seemed like kind of a stretch to have Rumble/Frenzy turn into tanks, but the bot modes were so spot-on with the little things like the chest detailing and weapons on the back that I was willing to overlook it. But Rewind/Eject had their own distinct robot modes, they only shared an alt-mode with the Decepticon cassettes. Now Rewind has a robot mode that doesn't really share any details with the G1 version aside from the remolded head (which does look really good I'll admit), and a vehicle mode that has nothing to do with the character at all. I don't follow the comics, but I'll assume he doesn't turn into a tank in that.

If the tank versions of Rumble/Frenzy had come out in the US or if you've imported the Japanese versions it would be better so you could put them side by side where their shared alt modes would mean something, but since for most people Rewind will be standing alone it just seems kind of an odd fit.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Knormal posted:

I don't follow the comics, but I'll assume he doesn't turn into a tank in that.

I can't even tell if something this obvious counts as irony. Can the TFCC perceive irony, or are they like, that's a smell right?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Spiderdrake posted:

I can't even tell if something this obvious counts as irony. Can the TFCC perceive irony, or are they like, that's a smell right?

Re-reading that now, I don't know if the scene is brilliant or ruined.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Spiderdrake posted:

Gah, why does Chromedome have robo-rickets?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Because he's a robot so he can have a interesting and unique silhouette instead of G1's "Man made of cardboard boxes #101"?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
In news that will surprise no one, MP Soundblaster has been announced. If you want Ratbat, you know what you have to do...

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gaah, it's gorgeous, but I just can't :negative:

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Because he's a robot so he can have a interesting and unique silhouette instead of G1's "Man made of cardboard boxes #101"?

Ya know, I quite like the IDW aesthetics. Some of it is even similar (sometimes) to what the movies tried to do (mostly the toys), just without the mangled bugfaces; Just look at IDW whirl.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'll wait next year for the Hasbro version that also has Slugfest and Overkill :colbert:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That is an instant preorder.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

therealjon_ posted:

That is an instant preorder.

Yeah I ordered it immediately too.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
So I was near a TRU at lunch and snagged a Platinum/Weaponizer Ultra Magnus! He is pretty beastly. I like the bright colors and his massive size, he's as big as my Masterpiece bots!

The hammer is kind of weak... I don't like how it has separate handles rather than him just being able to hold it like I would expect a sledgehammer to be held. Though if you angle the hammer the right way you can disguise it somewhat.

Also, does anyone know where I can store his blaster in bot mode? I only fiddled with it for a few minutes but couldn't find a place on his back or leg or somewhere discrete to stick the blaster. It can sort of fit on his shoulder/pauldron things but looks goofy.

Terrible cell phone pic for size comparison:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Wake me when they remould him into Blaster.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
All of the MTMTE trades purchased off recommendations here. In hindsight I should have bought the first one and then if I liked it got the rest, but this is as close as I get to living dangerously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Are there any TFs that are Canadian exclusive/easier to get up north (like the Prime first editions) at the moment? I have a Canadian friend who owes me a favor for shipping American stuff up to her.