Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
Just installed my re-upholstered seats in my Six-Fo. After finding the correct front seat (Previous owner tried to do some half assed bucket seat conversion with non-Impala seats), buying the new covers, and having the frames blasted/powdercoated and rebuilt with all new foam, it ended up being a $2200 dent in the ol' bank account. I did new carpet and sound deadening at the same time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Your car remains magnificent. It's on bags, right?

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

Raluek posted:

Your car remains magnificent. It's on bags, right?

Thank you sir! Indeed it is:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Yesterday I did a tiny bit of fabricating and replaced the Niva's mechanical fuel pump with an electric. Carb still has problems but it pulls like a freight train now. Got around to soldering and heatshrinking a splice I did yesterday too and picked up a two pin modular connector for the pump. Not using that until i dig out and install a tachometric relay.

Today I also drove it. The weather was nice so I had the windows down and the quarter windows flipped. This is one of the reasons I wanted it. Proper opening quarter windows. I missed them so drat much. During my driving around town I was hearing an audible clunk like a little man with a sledgehammer whenever I took my foot off the clutch after changing gears. Sounds like it's coming from behind the TC. I don't really know. But QUARTER WINDOWS HELL YES!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Budget Monty posted:

Thank you sir! Indeed it is:

That thing is perfect.

Hammers
Feb 13, 2012

psssSSSSSSHHHHHHH TOOTOOTootootoo
I put this thing

into this thing

and flashed the ecu with this
http://torquedperformance.com/2013-WRX-Stage-1-for-Opensource-TP13STG1.htm

using this.

Now my car makes chu chu noises! :haw:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I forgot. I also put some music n a generic 4gb SHDC card I got from the superarket and it works fine in the Jaycar stereo. I also killed another lawnmower. I liked this one too. I think I cooked it and spun a bearing or something. Its B&S motor does what the Tecumseh does now. Slows down and makes an awful grinding noise intermittently usually when under load. It also seems to have about 1mm of endplay now. Poor mower.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Found out someone put a dent in Wilma's door then hosed off. She was only parked for about 15 minutes while i grabbed some food. Seriously pissed off.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I had a bunch of skateboard stickers laying around and I had been considering doing this for a while.

I have an affinity for tacky stickers v:shobon:v. We'll see if I hate them in a month.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Tusen Takk posted:

I had a bunch of skateboard stickers laying around and I had been considering doing this for a while.

I have an affinity for tacky stickers v:shobon:v. We'll see if I hate them in a month.

Did you just troll yourself? :colbert:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Nearside indicator wasn't operating, and the lens was cracked so I decided to swap them out for amber bulbs and clear lenses. Looks much nicer. ...Too bad the indicator still doesn't work. Going to have a poke around and see what I can find.

She still needs a good clean.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

Did you just troll yourself? :colbert:

Yes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Every time I have to tell myself "I will not reply to a Tusen Takk post. I will not reply to a Tusen Takk post."

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Larrymer posted:

Every time I have to tell myself "I will not reply to a Tusen Takk post. I will not reply to a Tusen Takk post."

It clearly didn't work.

Today after work I replaced my rubber exhaust hangers and header to cat spring bolts. All vibration is gone now :angel:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

The reflection on the windshield would drive me insane in about 5 minutes. As it was the white USB drive I was using in the stereo in the Niva was bad enough. The Fairlane with its beige dash shits me to tears. Odds are you'll regret your decision in short order.

Oh hey I checked the oil in the mower that I think I hosed. If only I knew how to turn engine oil into enamel paint I'd have an absolutely bitchin' gunmetal pearl finish paint. I didn't think it was possible to kill an old Briggs & Stratton engine.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

General_Failure posted:

The reflection on the windshield would drive me insane in about 5 minutes. As it was the white USB drive I was using in the stereo in the Niva was bad enough. The Fairlane with its beige dash shits me to tears. Odds are you'll regret your decision in short order.

Probably, so far no reflection though! Plus, anything to cover up the horrible plastic interior is relatively better.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Since my alternator died and I couldn't drive it into the garage on a discharged battery, I've decided to put the caddy alternator into the International. Even though I ordered a new Delco 10si and don't really need 140 amps, it'll keep me busy. If I succeed I can get it into the garage and do some fluid changes, wire up some lights, and give it a good once over before camping.

edit: So I put on the v-belt pulleys, tossed the serpentine pulley, found the wiring adapter, trimmed the ear down a touch and found suitable hardware to mount it with. If I had the sun on my side it would be in. I shall do it at 'first-light-after-work'. I'm hoping a jump will get it started then I can just let the alternator do the real charging on the brand new battery. What's the outlook?

double edit: well if Autozone will charge it for free perhaps I do that while I install instead.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 4, 2013

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well, within 5 minutes of my house I heard a large pop, then a trail of oil appeared behind me. It drove fine for the next 200 feet while I pulled over (obviously just coasting). Can't wait to find out what happened after work!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Bet your oil filter or oil pressure sending unit took a giant wet poo poo everywhere.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Bet your oil filter or oil pressure sending unit took a giant wet poo poo everywhere.

My money is on the filter, it's been under 100mi since the last change. And that's roughly where the texas tea was pouring from. I'm just hoping it wasn't user error. :blush:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I had a spin-on filter that had two gaskets on it once, and I didn't notice. got it up to 2500 RPM in the shop and it did the same thing: a loud *POP* and oil EVERYWHERE.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Replaced the hood struts on the 928 so I didn't have to do the WT thing and prop it up with a 2x4. Then took the kids for a spin. :)

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Spaced out and put 3.6 gallons (in a 5.5 gallon tank) of 87 octane instead of the 91 octane minimum the manual calls for. Also the bike has no knock sensor. Good thing I live close to the gas station and it's easy to siphon out of that tank.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Larrymer posted:

Im just gonna let my avatar do the talking on this one.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Replaced the hood struts on the 928 so I didn't have to do the WT thing and prop it up with a 2x4. Then took the kids for a spin. :)
Quite common for 944 owners to have a cricket wicket piece handy thanks to those struts which I would imagine are the same as what's in the 928. Mine haven't failed yet!

e: You're going to have to show off your 928, of course. :)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Galler posted:

Spaced out and put 3.6 gallons (in a 5.5 gallon tank) of 87 octane instead of the 91 octane minimum the manual calls for. Also the bike has no knock sensor. Good thing I live close to the gas station and it's easy to siphon out of that tank.

Having no knock sensor sucks. The Fairlane doesn't run well at all on anything less than 98 (That's Aussie octanes), sort of gets by on 95 if I really baby it and pings its tits off on 91. Fun thing is when a service station doesn't have any 98 or worse no premium at all available for whatever reason.

The V8 missed out on a knock sensor / timing adjustment, a proper overheat management strategy and torque control. A real low effort setup.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

Well, within 5 minutes of my house I heard a large pop, then a trail of oil appeared behind me. It drove fine for the next 200 feet while I pulled over (obviously just coasting). Can't wait to find out what happened after work!

So underwhelming, the filter was completely gone. It wasn't stuck in the bay anywhere, there were no pieces of it to be found. Just bare. I took a quick walk where it popped and couldn't find it at all. Maybe it rolled out and off the tow truck. I just put a new one on and gave it all I had for tightness. It got me around the block but the last one got me out to DIA and back, a 90 minute drive with traffic.

I put the Cadillac alternator in the IH, it still needs some slight tweaking on the ear mount but gave me a very strong charge. I ended up just exchanging the battery for a fresh one. I carefully backed it into the 1 car garage which was not made for a flatbed, tilted it up on jacks and wired up my marker lights. I also drained the oil but left it open for the night and on a tilt since it wasn't really that warm. On Friday I'll pick up the GL-1 mineral oil from the NAPA that ordered it and freshen up my transmission and transfer case.

These LED lights are so much brighter than the stock lights on the front and back, I'm considering ordering more and modifying the originals.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

General_Failure posted:

Polarized sunglasses are absolutely amazing, and anyone who drives a car in sunny conditions should wear them. They cut out dashboard glare completely and severely cut down on glare from puddles and water etc.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Not my work, but I booked my car in for a valet.

Much better. :) Considering getting a respray done before next summer as the last respray wasn't done particularly well.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

So underwhelming, the filter was completely gone. It wasn't stuck in the bay anywhere, there were no pieces of it to be found. Just bare. I took a quick walk where it popped and couldn't find it at all. Maybe it rolled out and off the tow truck. I just put a new one on and gave it all I had for tightness. It got me around the block but the last one got me out to DIA and back, a 90 minute drive with traffic.

Found the receipt, I definitely had the wrong filter :( It was a 3300 when I needed a 3330. Different threads which apparently were close enough that it was holding on just barely.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

KozmoNaut posted:

Polarized sunglasses are absolutely amazing, and anyone who drives a car in sunny conditions should wear them. They cut out dashboard glare completely and severely cut down on glare from puddles and water etc.

How anyone gets away with making non-polarized sunglasses is just :psyduck:. You can get effective, but ugly and fragile, polarized sunglasses at walmart for less than :20bux:.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Galler posted:

Good thing it's a bike so easy to siphon, but is there any reason you couldn't have just thrown in a bottle of that xxxtreme octane booster stuff?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Voltage posted:

Good thing it's a bike so easy to siphon, but is there any reason you couldn't have just thrown in a bottle of that xxxtreme octane booster stuff?

Yeah. A bottle of that tends to cause a change somewhere around 0.1% difference. It is almost completely worthless.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Voltage posted:

Lead fishing weights! :buddy:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I ran over my last pair of Polarized sunglasses with the VW while camping. I also had a torch I ran over with it which I taped back together and it worked, even though one of the batteries was crushed. Come to think of it I ran over a lot with my camper. An axle stand, a bar stool, a steel frame chair, a wheel with tyre, a torch and a pair of sunglasses.

These days I just buy those tinted safety glasses when I need something dark. They last me a few wears before they get totaled enough that I consider them for grinding only. I doubt they are polarized. Are there are polarized tinted safety glasses? That'd be awesome. I can't have nice things.

The last two days I drove the Fairlane. it behaved for the most part except for its usual quirks like the cutting out, popping and lack of power when cold, and when warm it struggles to start cranking then it speeds up and the engine starts.

e: And an alumunium pot lid on concrete. I beat it back to shape and I still use it.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 5, 2013

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Falken posted:

Quite common for 944 owners to have a cricket wicket piece handy thanks to those struts which I would imagine are the same as what's in the 928. Mine haven't failed yet!

e: You're going to have to show off your 928, of course. :)

Not the best shot, but here she is...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Garnet Red Metallic. Nice.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

doogle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4y59Edt6Z0

Here is my turbo civic, camera fell off the mount but you get the idea. You can see the tires getting shredded once it hits full boost by the debris getting thrown inside the car.

Sounds badass!

Cage posted:

Went to drive the winter car up and down the street to get rid of the rust starting on the rotors and came out to find a dead battery. Its charging now but I should've checked that before I moved my license plates over.

Then I drove the mustang around in the wet but didnt have any fun because I had some coffee in the cup holder. :argh:

How is the 'stang, bruv?

rap music fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 6, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Said goodbye to my Ventus V12s and hello to some Pilot Sport AS3s. They look really weird on my wheels after the lower profile Hankooks and aren't as flush to the lip of the rim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Did the rear diff oil on the Niva. No idea how much I drained out and only a vague idea how much I put back in because I had a slight accident. The drain plug had a clump of fine fuzz on it including what looked like intermingled brass. A few very small chunks but nothing "Oh poo poo!" worthy. The oil definitely had some contamination that I noticed when it was running out because it wasn't completely uniform. Probably just a little water. No mayo.