Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Zoness posted:

Why would you do anything without a defiler?

I'm not biased or anything.

MORE DEEPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Defilers are good for that though - you get more dps by cutting more healers.

vvv You'd lose wild growth though. Defiler + LGV chloro for everything.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Isn't Defiler + Warden more deeps than Warden + Chloro? (Assuming cleric dropping warden is running Shaman and mage dropping chloro runs Pyro).

^^^^^^
And yeah I guess Defiler + Chloro is more DPS than either combo.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Machai posted:

It is. If you want to try it, try out a rogue or warrior melee spec (I don't know which ones are closest to harbinger, something w/o too many bleeds and stuff to keep track of) and pretend that your finishers don't come from building combo points but from a random proc instead.

Yes. All tanks are equally (as much as can be reasonably expected. We still make fun of our warrior tank for being a warrior) viable.

I may have to start playing my rogue again then, riftstalker was fun. I got him to level 50 and he was partially geared through experts when I quit the first time.
Lately I've been playing a paragon warrior at about level 29, and it's been a blast, and harbinger looks to be relatively similar.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
I'm trying to gear my rogue tank for experts. 9 runs of Empyrean Core / Tower later, not a single rogue tank piece has dropped and my patience is wearing thin. Should I bite the bullet and get a few pieces of blue crafted 60 gear? I suspect that when I run experts I'll quickly replace them and it seems like a waste.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Zoness posted:

Defilers are good for that though - you get more dps by cutting more healers.

vvv You'd lose wild growth though. Defiler + LGV chloro for everything.

it's more that our defiler wanted to do MORE DEEPS. raid dps isn't really a problem with one tank.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Smith Comma John posted:

I'm trying to gear my rogue tank for experts. 9 runs of Empyrean Core / Tower later, not a single rogue tank piece has dropped and my patience is wearing thin. Should I bite the bullet and get a few pieces of blue crafted 60 gear? I suspect that when I run experts I'll quickly replace them and it seems like a waste.

Helm, belt and the rings crafted. Buy toughness gear with slayer marks.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Try not to spend slayer marks until we find out what the conversion rate is going to be when 2.4 drops this month and frozen eclipse and slayer marks are combined into one currency.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SlayVus posted:

Helm, belt and the rings crafted. Buy toughness gear with slayer marks.
I spent some Infinity Stone getting the rogue tanking chest and its first upgrade last night, was that a bad decision?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

anthonypants posted:

I spent some Infinity Stone getting the rogue tanking chest and its first upgrade last night, was that a bad decision?

Maybe, ideally you'd like to save the IS for essences and maybe things you can't get with marks, like shield or guns.
If you still have a ways to go before you need more essences, it isn't a big deal tho.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Could someone do like a paragraph-or-less write up of what you actually get when you spend money on the game? The OP was written before F2P hit, and it acknowledges it but there's no succinct write up I have been able to google that isn't Trion's website which just encourages me to subscribe without going in depth on what I get for dropping a dime.

Like, if I was a monthly subscriber would I still need to use Paid Currency Name to unlock bag slots, or do I get them? If I bought an expansion (boxed/digital/etc), what do I get? If I bought that but didn't subscribe, what do I get? I am enjoying the fact that so much of the game is truly open, but I'm also confused as to specifically what benefits I'll enjoy by subscribing vs Rex (?) vs buying a game copy, etc. I'm thinking more of in-game things, Trion has spelled out pretty well what you get for character slots, etc. Is there an agreed amount of dollars to spend to Get The Most out of the game if I dont give a flying gently caress about what color my mount is or if a magical turtle follows my character around?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Badfinger posted:

Could someone do like a paragraph-or-less write up of what you actually get when you spend money on the game? The OP was written before F2P hit, and it acknowledges it but there's no succinct write up I have been able to google that isn't Trion's website which just encourages me to subscribe without going in depth on what I get for dropping a dime.

Like, if I was a monthly subscriber would I still need to use Paid Currency Name to unlock bag slots, or do I get them? If I bought an expansion (boxed/digital/etc), what do I get? If I bought that but didn't subscribe, what do I get? I am enjoying the fact that so much of the game is truly open, but I'm also confused as to specifically what benefits I'll enjoy by subscribing vs Rex (?) vs buying a game copy, etc. I'm thinking more of in-game things, Trion has spelled out pretty well what you get for character slots, etc. Is there an agreed amount of dollars to spend to Get The Most out of the game if I dont give a flying gently caress about what color my mount is or if a magical turtle follows my character around?

Well Trion's model is to never block content through a paywall. Owning the original boxed copy (if you can find one to buy) will give you 6 char slots instead of 2, and 5 starting bag slots instead of 3. Owning the Storm Legion expansion gives you that plus the storm legion souls. All of that can be bought with credits in the store without finding a copy online. I am not sure how many credits it would take to unlock 2 bag slots, but the expansion souls come out to about 20 bucks. The souls are the closest thing to mandatory purchases, and the rest are pretty much just cosmetic or convenience. The brevanic portal generator is nice, wardrobe/bag/bank slots are nice, spending credits for the 150% mount instead of 1k plat is helpful. Subscribing gives you bonuses, but most of them are targeted toward level 60's. While you are leveling the notoriety and currency bonuses aren't a big deal.

So I wouldn't worry about trying to find a game copy. Rex is just their way of people to buy credits with in game currency, but the exchange is high enough that it's not going to be viable until you are level 60. I'd recommend getting one month of patron while leveling for the experience bonus and the starter loyalty, but I'd put buying the sl souls above even buying patron.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

Well Trion's model is to never block content through a paywall. Owning the original boxed copy (if you can find one to buy) will give you 6 char slots instead of 2, and 5 starting bag slots instead of 3. Owning the Storm Legion expansion gives you that plus the storm legion souls. All of that can be bought with credits in the store without finding a copy online. I am not sure how many credits it would take to unlock 2 bag slots, but the expansion souls come out to about 20 bucks. The souls are the closest thing to mandatory purchases, and the rest are pretty much just cosmetic or convenience. The brevanic portal generator is nice, wardrobe/bag/bank slots are nice, spending credits for the 150% mount instead of 1k plat is helpful. Subscribing gives you bonuses, but most of them are targeted toward level 60's. While you are leveling the notoriety and currency bonuses aren't a big deal.

So I wouldn't worry about trying to find a game copy. Rex is just their way of people to buy credits with in game currency, but the exchange is high enough that it's not going to be viable until you are level 60. I'd recommend getting one month of patron while leveling for the experience bonus and the starter loyalty, but I'd put buying the sl souls above even buying patron.

I put in $50, got storm legion souls, a cheap mount, some role slots and a couple weekends of patron pass and I still have about half my credits left, that also gave me enough loyalty for a free portal generator. Their F2P model is actually really generous and I've never felt even a slight pay to win vibe. The Storm Legion souls so far have been more interesting gimmick than necessary for me so far; but maybe that changes post-50.

A monthly subscription (same as patron pass) gives you some quality of life stuff like the ability to summon useful npcs and create a xp bonus potion once a day. I think you are better off just getting some credits and buying things as needed.

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 4, 2013

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Not going to be around tonight, and I will be out of town all next week. Kill that Reg guy while I'm gone!

Kirtan
May 17, 2011

necrotic posted:

Not going to be around tonight, and I will be out of town all next week. Kill that Reg guy while I'm gone!

Just a reminder that this applies to me as well. Reggie better be on farm.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

kzin602 posted:

I put in $50, got storm legion souls, a cheap mount, some role slots and a couple weekends of patron pass and I still have about half my credits left, that also gave me enough loyalty for a free portal generator. Their F2P model is actually really generous and I've never felt even a slight pay to win vibe. The Storm Legion souls so far have been more interesting gimmick than necessary for me so far; but maybe that changes post-50.

A monthly subscription (same as patron pass) gives you some quality of life stuff like the ability to summon useful npcs and create a xp bonus potion once a day. I think you are better off just getting some credits and buying things as needed.

Harbinger is almost needed to solo as a mage post 50, Tempest is the only ranged soul for warriors (and raids hate melee), and Defiler and Tactician are extremely useful support for raid.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

kzin602 posted:

Patron pass is better than subscribing in every way because you get loyalty points for both buying, and then for spending, credits.

edit: pretty sure it's 2 loyalty points per credit purchased, then 2 loyalty points per credit spent.

rawr im a tree
Jul 4, 2008
Looking for a guild invite on Inarthis.

tia!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'll be late or absent tonight, too
Have fun!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

mr. nobody posted:

Patron pass is better than subscribing in every way because you get loyalty points for both buying, and then for spending, credits.

edit: pretty sure it's 2 loyalty points per credit purchased, then 2 loyalty points per credit spent.

Subbing and passes give the same loyalty now.

Elrar on 6/27 posted:

Greetings Ascended!

With next week's Hot Fix we will be changing the Patron Passes available in the RIFT Store to grant 7,000 Loyalty total (the same for Patron subscribers), including the bonus Loyalty from spending the credits you used to purchase the pass.

This means there will no longer be a Loyalty bonus for purchasing a Patron Pass via the store vs. being a recurring subscriber.

We never intended the in-game Patron Pass to provide a bonus, it's always been intended to offer all players a convenient way to take advantage of the benefits of being a Patron - but feel free to enjoy it while it lasts!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Machai posted:

Subbing and passes give the same loyalty now.

I don't see how. Even if that change disables the loyalty earned from spending credits, you'd still have to buy that 2400 credits, which results in 4800 loyalty that you wouldn't get from just plain subbing.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't see how. Even if that change disables the loyalty earned from spending credits, you'd still have to buy that 2400 credits, which results in 4800 loyalty that you wouldn't get from just plain subbing.

quote:

Patron Passes available in the RIFT Store to grant 7,000 Loyalty total (the same for Patron subscribers), including the bonus Loyalty from spending the credits you used to purchase the pass.

^^^ The credits to purchase give you 4800 when purchased and would normally give you another 4800 when spent. If spent on a 30-day patron pass, they give you a 2200 spending bonus instead for a total of 4800 + 2200 = 7000 loyalty. If you are already a patron, you get a discount on store items so the pass is only 2160 credits so you get 7000-2*2160 = 2680 for spending the credits.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
1:00:25 GA :negative:

it was at 37 minutes before pulling Ultane :qq:

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Edit: Oops, wrong thread.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 5, 2013

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

What? You mean 60? And what do you mean by retro world thing? The world event in Telara? If so, not really other than Ember Isle which is/was for raid-ish geared 50s for the most part (mostly lvl52 mobs) and is now kinda pointless and barren.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Vever tryin to get an invite!

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Zoness posted:

1:00:25 GA :negative:

it was at 37 minutes before pulling Ultane :qq:

aegis got their time down to 45 minutes. i'd be interested to see how many 4 waves they had in the last phase.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Why are the daily reset times so unfriendly, they don't happen until 8pm my time, what's wrong with midnight instead of noon :/

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Betjeman posted:

Why are the daily reset times so unfriendly, they don't happen until 8pm my time, what's wrong with midnight instead of noon :/

that would be peak time (7pm) for east coast and 4pm for west coast usa

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Should I play on north america server? I'm in england but I imagine north America is more populated?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

shut up gelly posted:

that would be peak time (7pm) for east coast and 4pm for west coast usa

At the moment it appears to be 12PM pacific and 3pm east coast. Is this wrong?

WastedJoker posted:

Should I play on north america server? I'm in england but I imagine north America is more populated?

I'm in England as well, I didn't really check out whether EU servers are populated because I just joined the goon guild straight off. It seems to be populated 24 hours (lowest pop I've seen in the guild is 5). I'm not very high level but every zone event I've seen so far has been defeated. Also, I haven't seen any noticeable latency issues.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 5, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Sweet. Downloading now.

admiral.baby
May 1, 2009

kzin602 posted:

The patron's daily notoriety, favor, and prestige boosts are really handy, especially for more casual players. I can log in for 30 minutes, pop those 3 boosts, do my crafting dailies, ashora gathering turn-ins, and pvp dailies and advance considerably. Plus, daily artifacts!

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Betjeman posted:

At the moment it appears to be 12PM pacific and 3pm east coast. Is this wrong?

I'm in England as well, I didn't really check out whether EU servers are populated because I just joined the goon guild straight off. It seems to be populated 24 hours (lowest pop I've seen in the guild is 5). I'm not very high level but every zone event I've seen so far has been defeated. Also, I haven't seen any noticeable latency issues.

na servers reset an hour ago, which is 4am server time

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

OK so it's a bug with /time, awesome.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
So I started a rogue because I wanted to be the closest thing I could think of to a hunter and I chose Huntsman to just make the game spend points for me (that's a hell of a feature).

The whole hook of the game is that basically every class can fill every (or most) roles, right? So what I've gathered is that as a rogue I have potentially available multiple flavors of ranged dps and melee dps, a tank spec, and then the bard is a support healer/buff/damage role? I tried out bard yesterday and it was fun as poo poo. From the OP, cleric is really the only class that can just Do Everything and every other class has limitations one way or another?

e: I forgot to ask, if I wanted to level as a bard am I hurting myself doing so? It seems like leveling is just dunce-easy, but after just shooting stuff for 25 levels, Barding was an interesting change. I am also amused by how the channels don't tether you, which is novel (for me).

Double edit: I have already bought a second Role, so it's not like I'm not already going back and forth between them. Was mostly curious.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 5, 2013

Antaris
Feb 18, 2011

They all have limitations of sorts but cleric has more options as far as the trinity of dps/healing/tanking goes. This is meant to change next major patch/expansion as well, allowing all the classes to fill all the roles. Basically, it is the absolute best game to pick a class you enjoy the most and go with it and still have the option to do everything as far as roles go.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Badfinger posted:

So I started a rogue because I wanted to be the closest thing I could think of to a hunter and I chose Huntsman to just make the game spend points for me (that's a hell of a feature).

The whole hook of the game is that basically every class can fill every (or most) roles, right? So what I've gathered is that as a rogue I have potentially available multiple flavors of ranged dps and melee dps, a tank spec, and then the bard is a support healer/buff/damage role? I tried out bard yesterday and it was fun as poo poo. From the OP, cleric is really the only class that can just Do Everything and every other class has limitations one way or another?

e: I forgot to ask, if I wanted to level as a bard am I hurting myself doing so? It seems like leveling is just dunce-easy, but after just shooting stuff for 25 levels, Barding was an interesting change. I am also amused by how the channels don't tether you, which is novel (for me).

Every class is lacking. Warriors can't heal, rogues can't heal, clerics can't support (like bards or archons), and mages can't tank.

You aren't hurting yourself leveling as anything pre-50. You can at any point go to a trainer and respec as well as buy more roles to switch around whenever you want out of combat. If you like barding you may want to chuck some money at the game and get the new Storm Legion souls which will get you Tactician, another support spec that uses engineery stuff. Once you get to the new zones you'll probably need to switch to a more damaging spec than bard and work on survival more.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

It's been a looong time since I played bard (2011) but I found it became very uncompetitive for solo questing around level 20. The original bard was great, especially in warfronts, as the aoe heal wasn't restricted to 5 people, and then post-nerf it became a terrible spec, but they may have buffed it since then which would be great because it was pretty unique, both graphically and in behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Oraculum Animi posted:

Every class is lacking. Warriors can't heal, rogues can't heal, clerics can't support (like bards or archons), and mages can't tank.

They're making souls that make up for those things that each class is lacking though!

Clerics are also the less-preferred option for constant-throughput healing. Rather, we're way more useful (than chloros) for mitigation, spot heals, and massive AoE heals over a short time.

Tairon posted:

They all have limitations of sorts but cleric has more options as far as the trinity of dps/healing/tanking goes. This is meant to change next major patch/expansion as well, allowing all the classes to fill all the roles. Basically, it is the absolute best game to pick a class you enjoy the most and go with it and still have the option to do everything as far as roles go.

Clerics don't have cost reduction in dungeons though :qq:

• Locked thread