Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Wolfechu posted:

One for myself rather than a customer: Been looking for a scifi short story I read in my teens (so mid-1980s), and I believe it was in a collection of stories published by either Hamlyn or Collins, a thick hardbound block of a book I've never been able to find online either. Bright orange cover with some suitably SF painting on the front, called something along the lines of "The [Publisher name] compendium of science fiction".

The only details of the story in question I remember is that it involved a guy in a rocket or spaceship, going faster than anyone previously been able to. It was almost completely, if not entirely, nothing but his internal monologue as he tried not to be completely freaked out by the experience. The only frames of reference he had to what was happening was the speedometer directly in front of him, and the counting of his own heartbeat to measure time passing.

Can't for the life of me remember how it ended, but I'd love to read it again, or even get hold of the book it was in.

The bright orange cover made me think of Penguin --could it be this?

Edit: that was apparently a paperback, so probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Wolfechu posted:

One for myself rather than a customer: Been looking for a scifi short story I read in my teens (so mid-1980s), and I believe it was in a collection of stories published by either Hamlyn or Collins, a thick hardbound block of a book I've never been able to find online either. Bright orange cover with some suitably SF painting on the front, called something along the lines of "The [Publisher name] compendium of science fiction".

The only details of the story in question I remember is that it involved a guy in a rocket or spaceship, going faster than anyone previously been able to. It was almost completely, if not entirely, nothing but his internal monologue as he tried not to be completely freaked out by the experience. The only frames of reference he had to what was happening was the speedometer directly in front of him, and the counting of his own heartbeat to measure time passing.

Can't for the life of me remember how it ended, but I'd love to read it again, or even get hold of the book it was in.
Does he hang out with some quite possibly fantasised aliens who call themselves the clinesterton beademung? Then it's Common Time by James Blish. It's in the Penguin Omnibus of Science Fiction, (and all these other anthologies too).

With all of love.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

That sounds really promising, thanks, both of you! I like Blish's stuff, but at the time of reading I wasn't inclined to even notice who wrote the stories

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

This was a fairly short science fiction novel I read about a decade ago. The premise was that aliens make first contact and let Earth into their galactic business corporate thing. Earth agrees but because the aliens are so technologically advanced we can't really make anything high-tech or valuable, so like China we make super cheap consumer goods. The main character is of south Asian descent and had the idea of making these lanyard clips so peoples drink globes don't float away in zero-gravity. Aliens love the idea and buy tons. This makes him like the richest person on Earth but still small potatoes in the rest of the galaxy.

I pretty much remember everything about this book but the name and the author.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Poldarn posted:

This was a fairly short science fiction novel I read about a decade ago. The premise was that aliens make first contact and let Earth into their galactic business corporate thing. Earth agrees but because the aliens are so technologically advanced we can't really make anything high-tech or valuable, so like China we make super cheap consumer goods. The main character is of south Asian descent and had the idea of making these lanyard clips so peoples drink globes don't float away in zero-gravity. Aliens love the idea and buy tons. This makes him like the richest person on Earth but still small potatoes in the rest of the galaxy.

I pretty much remember everything about this book but the name and the author.

"First Contract" by Greg Costikyan

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

miryei posted:

"First Contract" by Greg Costikyan

You're awesome :tipshat:

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
Trying to find a science fiction short story I read a few years ago. Basically a first contact story with the aliens being incredibly weird and non human-like. The main plot of the story involves trying to decode the alien language, and the effect that understanding the language has on the protagonist (a woman), who basically begins to experience time non sequentially. With the implication the the language was some sort of memetic virus spreading throughout the universe. I think this was in some kind of anthology, so I'm not sure if it was part of a larger work.

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011
That's "Story of Your Life" by Ted Chiang. It can be found in the author's anthology Story of Your Life and Others .

VV :cool:

BlueFlowerRedSky fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 20, 2013

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

hal c encandenza posted:

Trying to find a science fiction short story I read a few years ago. Basically a first contact story with the aliens being incredibly weird and non human-like. The main plot of the story involves trying to decode the alien language, and the effect that understanding the language has on the protagonist (a woman), who basically begins to experience time non sequentially. With the implication the the language was some sort of memetic virus spreading throughout the universe. I think this was in some kind of anthology, so I'm not sure if it was part of a larger work.

Ted Chiang, Story of Your Life

(if you like weird alien languages, try Embassytown next!)

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster
Thanks guys, can't wait to be able to read it again and I'll definitely check out Embassytown.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Gyre posted:

A kid's book I think. Two children meet this old lady and she educates them about life and such. I remember specifically one of the kids telling their parent(?) that they were studying "the Flora and Fauna of Central Park" In the end she dies, and since no one cares about her but them, the kids bury her in a construction ditch in Central Park per her wishes.

I thought this was From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler initially, but I checked and even though it's a similar theme of children + old lady she doesn't die in the end.

EDIT: Kids are definitely somewhere between middle-school and high-school. Probably one girl and one boy.

Quoting myself since I still haven't figured out what this book is. Not sure if it's kosher to do so, but google still isn't giving me answers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Short story I read online somewhere. Guy lives on top of this giant, city-sized-or-bigger cathedral, his job is to keep his section of the roof in good repair and clear of ghosts and such. he runs into a ghost he needs help with so he calls a necromancer, and they find a dragon egg. The tone is a lot more bleak than it sounds.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wolfechu posted:

Was it that his brain was running on earth time while everything else was experiencing relativistic effects so a second was taking minutes or hours? And at one point he sits up and it's incredibly painful because it takes about 30 minutes subjective time, and he realises all the people who'd gone this fast before had died because they'd tried to get up and do stuff and gone mad?

OptionalPirate
Aug 31, 2008
One I just can't track down - a short story in one of the 'Mammoth Book of' collections (either a fantasy/sci-fi one or ghost story). It was ghost-related and featured some kind of institute for psychics (which burned down? It's very Hellboy to the point where I get confused). Ghosts are mental imprints from psychics or something.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Splicer posted:

Was it that his brain was running on earth time while everything else was experiencing relativistic effects so a second was taking minutes or hours? And at one point he sits up and it's incredibly painful because it takes about 30 minutes subjective time, and he realises all the people who'd gone this fast before had died because they'd tried to get up and do stuff and gone mad?
That's definitely Common Time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Okay children's book search time. Written in the late-60s early 70s. Had anthropomorphic animals and a general store in a rural community, more prose than illustration (aimed at 8-11 year olds i seem to remember). Lead character and family arrive one winter's night at a general store.

That's all I got. Anybody have any ideas?

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*
My mom said there's a book where a woman touches the sky and tells people about it, but I can't find it online. I was wondering if anyone had heard of something like that? She told me about it around the time the Matrix came out.

DrHerpington fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 27, 2013

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
Reposting this in case anyone has read/heard of it:

miryei posted:

I read this as a child, 10-15 years ago, but am not sure if it is a children's book. I think it had some illustrations in it.

Main character is a girl, I think in her early teens. She's a princess but doesn't know it because her parents were killed by the usurpers, and she was raised by some elderly couple in the woods, who do not tell her she is a princess. A traveler comes and sparks her interest in other things, so she goes to the city.

She wanders around the city for a bit. Then night falls. She's told to hide in a barrel, but if she gets caught out after curfew, say that she can cook yams. She has no idea what a yam is, but when the soldier finds her, she says she can cook them. She's taken into the castle and made into a slave, put into a kitchen cooking yams with other girls. At first, she's just sweeping the peels, and the peels get swept into a giant garbage disposal thing. Sometimes girls will fall in and have to catch themselves by bracing their broom across the mouth of that until they can be helped out. There's a scene later where she's walking along tables at an important feast, replacing flowers as they wilt.

She meets a man who is a mentor/teacher to her. There's a scene where she and the mentor are inside of a giant clock.

Meanwhile, all the slaves have heard that the main character--their true ruler!--has returned from exile to save them from the usurpers, who no-one likes. There's a prophecy that when the true ruler comes back, an angel of fire will fall from the sky, signalling the time to have a revolution. The slaves start stealing soldier's uniforms and such, infiltrating the usurper's ranks. Finally, there's a rally where the slaves make up half the crowd. The usurper king is talking about how awesome they are because look how many soldiers they have! Then the mentor sets himself on fire and jumps off the highest tower, becoming the 'angel of fire' and signalling a revolt. The slaves all tear off the bad guy uniforms, showing who they really are beneath, and attack. They win and the main character is reinstated as the rightful queen.

There's a scene at the end where the main character/queen is explaining street lights. Amber means to use caution because one of the bad guys fell into a vat of honey at some point.

Edit: Finaly found it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_City_in_Winter

miryei fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 28, 2013

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
Gonna try this again maybe someone will recognize it.
Read a book ages ago, around the early 90s. Family moves to new planet because the dad was either an ambassador or got a new job the. City where they live has robot servants and nanotechnology. There ends up being an uprising and all the robots quit and the nanotechnology doors stop working. Family ends up negotiating truce between humans and robots. Only really specific things I remember are a scene when they are entering the city the elevator the are on is described as being like a cell in a tree/plant, and another scene the young child of the family is in a daycare and is given a translator/learning toy that I think was in the shape of a duck, that he somehow with his friend use to open the nanodoors and specifically when they point it at one door the door says its side hurts. After they get caught outside the daycare they tell the nanny/teacher robot what the door said. The duck gets taken away and when it's returned it is basically at a factory reset and they can't get it to translate for the doors any more but they do see the door that said it was sore getting repaired.
Any help at all in finding this book would be fantastic as I've been looking for a long time now.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Book with (I'm pretty sure) a three-word title like "Gun says bang" or "Sounds of violence" - something agressive/combative.

It was recommended to me by someone who was into China Mieville so it's probably by a similar author. The only details I can recall are that the protagonist is some kind of investigator and he ends up (unbeknownst to him) investigating a ex-friend from his past who made some shady deals and now is some kind of spiritual guru/martial arts guru. Maybe Chicago is mentioned? A lighthouse?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mirthdefect posted:

Book with (I'm pretty sure) a three-word title like "Gun says bang" or "Sounds of violence" - something agressive/combative.

It was recommended to me by someone who was into China Mieville so it's probably by a similar author. The only details I can recall are that the protagonist is some kind of investigator and he ends up (unbeknownst to him) investigating a ex-friend from his past who made some shady deals and now is some kind of spiritual guru/martial arts guru. Maybe Chicago is mentioned? A lighthouse?

Long shot: Gun with occasional music ?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

fritz posted:

Long shot: Gun with occasional music ?

No, but definitely going in the to-read list.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
Trying to remember a short story I read in some horror anthology years ago. It starts with a guy talking how he goes to parties and after getting to know someone for a while, asking if they know how it feels to kill someone - and how he's surprised by how many have. I also think his wife was either killed by a doctor on purpose during a medical procedure or he has the insane idea she was, and he was obsessed about how he could never prove it - but that might have been a different story in the same anthology.

edit: also, another story I just remembered from the anthology was about a criminal being interrogated in an insane asylum by a young doctor who thinks he can cure him, and at the end the criminal escapes by switching their identities somehow and signing the doctor up for a lobotomy. Basically I guess I just want to find this book of stories - I remember they were all grisly and pretty great.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 2, 2013

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Popular Human posted:

Basically I guess I just want to find this book of stories - I remember they were all grisly and pretty great.

I'm taking a shot in the dark because I've never read the anthology, but you might be talking about Intensive Scare edited by Karl Edward Wagner. That link has the TOC, but there are no reviews posted anywhere online apparently, so I couldn't say if any of those stories match the two you described.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I'm looking for a Winnie the pooh book that contains this quote:

quote:

"How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye hard"

Everyone attributes it to AA Milne but I'm unsure which book its from, would love the help!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

mirthdefect posted:

Maybe Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

That's it. I guess I read the "Gun, with Occasional Music" off the back cover or something and conflated the two.

Many thanks.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Beaten :argh:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Sri.Theo posted:

I'm looking for a Winnie the pooh book that contains this quote:

Everyone attributes it to AA Milne but I'm unsure which book its from, would love the help!

There are only two Winnie the Pooh books, Winnie the Pooh (1926) and The House at Pooh Corner (1928), but searching through the full texts of both, neither seem to contain your quote. It may be a misattribution or a paraphrase, or it might come from some attendant writings rather from one of the 20 Pooh stories from the books.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
This post goes so well with your avatar.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Fantasy trilogy, I read the first 2 books.
It's about a young man who becomes a squire, if I remember correctly, to a knight whom he admires. He falls in love with a girl and later realizes that she's his lord's (intended) wife. The 2nd book deals with a tournament the squire, his lord and his retinue go to. There is magic in the books - monsters, necromancers etc.

Anyone?

edit: David Keck - In the eye of Heaven & In a time of treason. It wasn't a trilogy, it was a duology.

Doktor Avalanche fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 6, 2013

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm trying to remember a fantasy story where they're in a modern day setting, but they travel through some portal (I want to think?) and end up in a magical-focused fantasy world. I remember there were two or three main characters, all fencers, two guys and a girl, one was dating the girl and the other's last name was Silverstein. The one who was dating the girl's dad was a famous duelist/fencer and there were like Baronies of Fire and maybe some other elements, but I couldn't tell you if they were Classical elements or Eastern ones.

Also they meet Freya? And, because I read it when I was young, I remember the dude who isn't Silverstein ends up loving his girlfriend in the bath, but they had to keep it a secret so people thought they were fighting (I was young and goony so that idea sticks out)?

Also the guy named Silverstein gets called 'Silverstone' a lot, and he uses the epee, so he 'always goes for the kill' or whatever and that lets him win in a fight with some fire-demon who had taken over the Fire Barony which made him King Jew or something. I don't remember. I think it was the first in a series, or a book that was to be made into a series (I have no idea if it was ever made into said series.)

edit: Also, was the series any good if someone has read them? I read the book AGES ago, like mid 90's so around 20 years ago.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 6, 2013

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

nucleicmaxid posted:

I'm trying to remember a fantasy story where they're in a modern day setting, but they travel through some portal (I want to think?) and end up in a magical-focused fantasy world. I remember there were two or three main characters, all fencers, two guys and a girl, one was dating the girl and the other's last name was Silverstein. The one who was dating the girl's dad was a famous duelist/fencer and there were like Baronies of Fire and maybe some other elements, but I couldn't tell you if they were Classical elements or Eastern ones.

Also they meet Freya? And, because I read it when I was young, I remember the dude who isn't Silverstein ends up loving his girlfriend in the bath, but they had to keep it a secret so people thought they were fighting (I was young and goony so that idea sticks out)?

Also the guy named Silverstein gets called 'Silverstone' a lot, and he uses the epee, so he 'always goes for the kill' or whatever and that lets him win in a fight with some fire-demon who had taken over the Fire Barony which made him King Jew or something. I don't remember. I think it was the first in a series, or a book that was to be made into a series (I have no idea if it was ever made into said series.)

edit: Also, was the series any good if someone has read them? I read the book AGES ago, like mid 90's so around 20 years ago.

The Hidden Ways series by Joel Rosenberg. As to quality, I shan't say. I thought they were boss when I was a teenager.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I'm trying to remember some odd story/novel I read ages ago. I have no idea what it was about anymore, but one chain of events I remember is like, tons of weird slimy globs falling to earth from space and just sitting around being gross until people burn them, which I guess makes aliens mad and they quarantine/embargo the solar system in some way. I do not think humanity had space travel/was aware of intelligent aliens before these events, but I can't be certain.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

This piece of a memory popped into my head tonight.I think it was a tween book with a few illustrations, or a short story in a book. It was around fourth or fifth grade, late 80s early 90s when I read this. Some kids found a giant Easter egg (I think) and wanted to find out what was inside. Each time they chipped away a layer of eggshell there was another shell underneath. Each layer was colored differently.

They chip and chip away and the egg gets smaller and smaller, but the only thing it seems to contain are more layers of eggshell. They leave it to come back later. Another kid shows up and thinks it's a jawbreaker and eats it.

When the first kids show back up, the kid who ate it is still there but he's encased in layers and layers of shell and they have to break him out.

Any ideas?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Another fantasy request...

I can remember only one part of the book, in which some mages/wizards/magic-users fight as mercenaries for an army against invaders who have mages of their own that they put in a huge box of some kind which shields them from attacks. The mages we're reading about manage to defeat these strangers (surprise surprise).

I think it is a newer release (last 2-3 years).

Thanks.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

There are only two Winnie the Pooh books, Winnie the Pooh (1926) and The House at Pooh Corner (1928), but searching through the full texts of both, neither seem to contain your quote. It may be a misattribution or a paraphrase, or it might come from some attendant writings rather from one of the 20 Pooh stories from the books.

Thanks very much. I wonder why the internet decided to attribute it to A.A. Milne of all people, I thought that was George Orwell/ Mark Twain's job.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I’ve got three stories, and I think they were all short stories that have been bothering me for years trying to remember where the hell I read them as they are disturbing as all hell. They also make me wonder what on earth I reading when I was a kid

• For the first one, some guy ends up in a town he’s never been before where everyone wears these skin tight suits that are so thin they are invisible. The protagonist has sex with a woman, and after they’re done she stands up, and the suit sort of spits his semen out into a tissue she holds between her legs for that purpose. I distinctly remember him being somewhat offended by this, as if she had rejected a part of him.

• The second one is about the last white dude on the planet. Governments around the world for some reason or another dictated that people could only marry people of other races. They force same race couples to split apart, and over time with forced interracial breeding everyone is tan and dark haired. I think I remember the guy just reminiscing about how it all came to be while some of the ‘new world’ children stared at him because he was white. I really don’t know if this story was trying to be anti-racist and or racist, I would really like to give it another read as an adult to see what’s up.

• This had to have been in a horror anthology, it starts off with I believe a mobster getting buried alive in a coffin by other mobsters for some reason or another, and as he is lying in the grave freaking the gently caress out, he hears digging. Immediately relieved, he figures they were just trying to scare him, burying him alive and that they’re digging him out now. Then he realizes that the digging is coming from below… (and this has given me the heeby jeeby for years now)

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

leftover posted:

I’ve got three stories, and I think they were all short stories that have been bothering me for years trying to remember where the hell I read them as they are disturbing as all hell. They also make me wonder what on earth I reading when I was a kid

• For the first one, some guy ends up in a town he’s never been before where everyone wears these skin tight suits that are so thin they are invisible. The protagonist has sex with a woman, and after they’re done she stands up, and the suit sort of spits his semen out into a tissue she holds between her legs for that purpose. I distinctly remember him being somewhat offended by this, as if she had rejected a part of him.

• The second one is about the last white dude on the planet. Governments around the world for some reason or another dictated that people could only marry people of other races. They force same race couples to split apart, and over time with forced interracial breeding everyone is tan and dark haired. I think I remember the guy just reminiscing about how it all came to be while some of the ‘new world’ children stared at him because he was white. I really don’t know if this story was trying to be anti-racist and or racist, I would really like to give it another read as an adult to see what’s up.

• This had to have been in a horror anthology, it starts off with I believe a mobster getting buried alive in a coffin by other mobsters for some reason or another, and as he is lying in the grave freaking the gently caress out, he hears digging. Immediately relieved, he figures they were just trying to scare him, burying him alive and that they’re digging him out now. Then he realizes that the digging is coming from below… (and this has given me the heeby jeeby for years now)

The first is called Up Schist Creek. It's from Anthonology by SA's favorite literary perv, Piers Anthony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
In an iTunes U course for the Aeneid, Susanna Braund references a novel about a class of adult students reading the Aeneid together. For the life of me I can't find a single thing about it on the internet. Does this ring any bells for anyone?