Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jedit posted:

Ask instead how anyone could ever think any Camaro was cooler than a classic Volkswagen Beetle. gently caress product placement to death with a trowel, preferably an unbranded one.

The issue is supposedly that Volkswagon didn't want to be associated with something so violent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

muscles like this? posted:

The issue is supposedly that Volkswagon didn't want to be associated with something so violent.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The opening titles for Four Rooms spoil the entire events of the movie. Seeing as how the entire point of the movis is that you never know what wacky adventure the bellhop is going to stumble into next it seems kind of disingenuous to tell you them up-front.

Jedit posted:

Ask instead how anyone could ever think any Camaro was cooler than a classic Volkswagen Beetle. gently caress product placement to death with a trowel, preferably an unbranded one.

How dare they sully the integrity of my literal toy commercial with product placement :argh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, that's why. "War toys? Sure, in the widest sense, but still, we'll pass. Not falling for that again thanks very much."

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

CJacobs posted:

The Mountain Dew machine turns into a Decepticon. I would never buy soda from an evil product, Michael Bay. :colbert:

Every machine the All Spark created was evil immediately. Not one of them was friendly. Who the gently caress builds a machine that makes rear end in a top hat machines?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Kruller posted:

Every machine the All Spark created was evil immediately. Not one of them was friendly. Who the gently caress builds a machine that makes rear end in a top hat machines?

You have read the utterly magnificent CD thread on transformers, right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mentioned this a dozen or so pages ago but it still bears repeating that the evil cube that makes evil machines kills the biggest/evilest machine at the end of the movie in the worst deus ex machina of all time. I was upset.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

You have read the utterly magnificent CD thread on transformers, right?

I have not. Link?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

The people who are trying to sell you the new version of the Camaro.

I still contend that making Bumblebee into a sports car like that sort of took away from the charm of the character.

I like the idea that one reason Bumblebee was one of the more 'human' Autobots because he was a smaller and more non-threatening than most the others. That's something that could have made him stand out a bit more in the films, too.

Make Bumblebee into a small Transformer based off something like the Aveo or the Spark, for example, and work the character around that. Being smaller, he's got a totally different combat style that revolves around agility and speed, more akin to kung fu compared to everyone else.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Esroc posted:

These movies take place (presumably) hundreds of years in the future. It'd be akin to someone today wandering around wearing pilgrim clothes and talking in Old English just because they really really like the past! I get it, it's supposed to help you relate to characters that exist in a world far removed from your own, but it still bugs the poo poo out of me. People like that are considered a bit off even now, like the girls who are really into Victorian clothes. Tossing the same kind of person two hundred years into the future doesn't make it any less odd to the average person.

I, Robot takes place in 2035. Wearing stuff from 2010 doesn't seem more out of place than wearing stuff people were wearing in the Sixties or Seventies - which happens all the time. Converse look the way they look for about 100 years now, no reason to think they won't be something worn by people in 25 years.
Hoodies, sweatshirts, ties, shirts, jackets, jeans, skirts, T-shirts, sundresses - all stuff which hasn't changed that much (besides small changes in cut, some short-lived fashion fads and use of artificial fibers here and there, getting more casual generally and shorter in terms of skirts) in the last 70-80 years. Not really unreasonable to think people still will wear these things - or recognizable version of them - in 30, 50 or 100 years. The shoes I wear today (dark-brown Budapester) could have been sold 50 or 150 years ago without looking out of place any more than they would today, except for the rubber sole.
People wore M65-style jackets 40 years ago, today and probably still in 40 years.

But yeah, it was mostly done for advertising. Because wearing 30 year old "vintage" Converse means wearing Converse where the glue is not doing its job of gluing stuff together any more. Converse aren't made for eternity. Or even two seasons.

Decius has a new favorite as of 07:53 on Sep 3, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kruller posted:

Short version: All our technology was derived from Megatron. We've spent the past 50 years building dormant Decepticons all over the place. That's why they wake up evil.

Please ignore the implications.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Geokinesis posted:

Film irritation:
When an adaption from a book has a character appear different to how they were described in the text.

Also, when a film adaptation of a whodunit book is made, and all of the suspects are played by minor character actors except for the guilty one who is played by an Academy Award winner. Unfortunately, I can't give any examples without spoiling them.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Brother Jonathan posted:

Also, when a film adaptation of a whodunit book is made, and all of the suspects are played by minor character actors except for the guilty one who is played by an Academy Award winner. Unfortunately, I can't give any examples without spoiling them.

Hot Fuzz's parody of the trend was brilliant, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Geokinesis posted:

Film irritation:
When an adaption from a book has a character appear different to how they were described in the text.

Seriously? In the Lincoln Rhyme novels, Rhyme is full on Aryan. For the movie of The Bone Collector they cast Denzel Washington, a man not known for his Slavic appearance. It worked fine.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Jedit posted:

Seriously? In the Lincoln Rhyme novels, Rhyme is full on Aryan. For the movie of The Bone Collector they cast Denzel Washington, a man not known for his Slavic appearance. It worked fine.

Also, Amelia Sachs looks nothing like Angelina Jolie, and his assistant is Stephen Fry's Jeeves in Jude Law's body, not Queen Latifah.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Brother Jonathan posted:

It's even more ridiculous than that in TV shows like The Mentalist or Law & Order, because often the suspects will all be people who've had one-off or minor roles in a bunch of different stuff, but even then the most well-known one will more often than not be the criminal.

The was a show on Australian television a few years ago called Sleuth 101 where a guest detective (a comedian or actor) had to investigate a crime where the suspects were played by different guest actors each week. One of the detectives actually used that as the basis for their accusation and was right.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Geokinesis posted:

It is British slang though. :shrug:

It's not like when US people say wanker, they say it 'wonker' or anything.

It's British slang from before the Revolutionary War, so it's also inherently American as well.

I remember reading somewhere that many American pronunciations are in fact very old British pronunciations; we kept them and the Brits changed them. That might have something to do with it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tiggum posted:

It's even more ridiculous than that in TV shows like The Mentalist or Law & Order, because often the suspects will all be people who've had one-off or minor roles in a bunch of different stuff, but even then the most well-known one will more often than not be the criminal.

The was a show on Australian television a few years ago called Sleuth 101 where a guest detective (a comedian or actor) had to investigate a crime where the suspects were played by different guest actors each week. One of the detectives actually used that as the basis for their accusation and was right.

CSI was really bad for this for the longest time. Here are the suspects: Person you have never seen before, Person you have never seen before, that guy who was in that thing, person you have never seen before. Every drat time it was the person you had seen in other things. I always assumed that they were being paid more as they were well known so the producers were getting their moneys worth by having them be the killer who has more screen time as they confess everything as soon as they are presented with the flimsiest forensic evidence. Either that or actors who are working regularly are more likely to audition for "Killer" than "Red Herring who reveals their alibi 10 minutes in and isnt refered to again". They did eventually wise up to it though, and getting more well known faces to occasionally be a red herring or the victim.

As you say, the mentalist too. There was one episode where I guessed the killer in the first 5 minutes because none of the other characters were being played by Arthur from The Tick.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lotish posted:

It's British slang from before the Revolutionary War, so it's also inherently American as well.

I remember reading somewhere that many American pronunciations are in fact very old British pronunciations; we kept them and the Brits changed them. That might have something to do with it.

Do you have a source for that? I'd be really interested in the history of it. Quebecois French is the same way -- in Quebec people use older pronunciations and old-fashioned variants of the language, while France-French has become much more globalized and has picked up a lot more English loan words. For instance in France you go and do the shopping while wearing your walkman, but in Quebec you go magasiner while wearing your baladeur. A bit like calling a refrigerator an "icebox" or the like.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
While we're bitching about Transformers, I want to bring up the fact that Qatar does not have any drat mountains. Or little oasis hamlets with Syrian ruins where the people wear a mix of Jordanian and Omani headware.

I know no one in Hollywood cares, but portraying the Arabian Peninsula as some sort of wasteland where people drink from wells and ride around on camels is irritating to me. I saw that movie in Doha and it was all kinds of uncomfortable.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Do you have a source for that? I'd be really interested in the history of it. Quebecois French is the same way -- in Quebec people use older pronunciations and old-fashioned variants of the language, while France-French has become much more globalized and has picked up a lot more English loan words. For instance in France you go and do the shopping while wearing your walkman, but in Quebec you go magasiner while wearing your baladeur. A bit like calling a refrigerator an "icebox" or the like.

I dont remember where anymore, but I've also read that American-English is much closer to what English was back when they originally left Britain, compared to today's British-English

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

hyperhazard posted:

I know no one in Hollywood cares, but portraying the Arabian Peninsula as some sort of wasteland where people drink from wells and ride around on camels is irritating to me. I saw that movie in Doha and it was all kinds of uncomfortable.

It's less "not caring" and more understanding that your average ticket-buyer has no notion of what life outside of America is genuinely like, and if you showed them modern-day middle eastern cities (or west Asian ones, or...) they wouldn't connect. If you showed Egypt in a movie without showing sand and pyramids, there are a lot of American audiences that wouldn't understand it was Egypt.

Funny thing, most of these people get their concept of other cultures from films. It's a cycle. A bad one.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Slim Killington posted:

It's less "not caring" and more understanding that your average ticket-buyer has no notion of what life outside of America is genuinely like, and if you showed them modern-day middle eastern cities (or west Asian ones, or...) they wouldn't connect. If you showed Egypt in a movie without showing sand and pyramids, there are a lot of American audiences that wouldn't understand it was Egypt.

Funny thing, most of these people get their concept of other cultures from films. It's a cycle. A bad one.

Apparently when Disney were making the Rescuers Down Under, they made "Australia" look much more like America than it should on purpose because they thought that if they tried to make the setting look like Australia actually looks, American audiences wouldn't believe it was a real place. I'd hope peoples' understanding of the world has come a long way since then but I have to agree the changes are probably on purpose rather than just not caring what specific countries look like.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Despite the rest of the drek, I'm still miffed that in that Godawful Thunderbirds movie, Lady Penelope drove a souped-up, six-wheeled FORD instead of a Rolls.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Bill Bryson goes into it in Made in America

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The Mountain Dew machine turns into a Decepticon. I would never buy soda from an evil product, Michael Bay. :colbert:

DISPENSOR wasn't evil. He was curing thirst, with EXTREME attitude.

Jedit posted:

Not to mention Queen Latifa as the nurse, who in the book was a small, white, gay man.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

kizudarake posted:

Also, Amelia Sachs looks nothing like Angelina Jolie, and his assistant is Stephen Fry's Jeeves in Jude Law's body, not Queen Latifah.

Ahem.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

DISPENSOR wasn't evil. He was curing thirst, with EXTREME attitude.

Yeah, we don't blame babies for pissing and making GBS threads on everything and/or everyone nearby right after they're born.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The fact of the matter is that Mountain Dew is radioactive horse urine and tastes as such, so something that blasts people with cans of that stuff has to be evil no matter what his intentions may appear to be.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Since we were talking about countries in movies and in reality, here's Chile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7gcXAPjWp4

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Esroc posted:

It bugs me in movies that take place in the future where the main character has some kind of obsession with what would be considered to them as ancient culture. Most recently Oblivion did this and I, Robot did as well.

These movies take place (presumably) hundreds of years in the future. It'd be akin to someone today wandering around wearing pilgrim clothes and talking in Old English just because they really really like the past! I get it, it's supposed to help you relate to characters that exist in a world far removed from your own, but it still bugs the poo poo out of me. People like that are considered a bit off even now, like the girls who are really into Victorian clothes. Tossing the same kind of person two hundred years into the future doesn't make it any less odd to the average person.

I'm going to drag this up to say that I actually had the JVC stereo that appears in I, Robot (complete with awesome "cylindrical speakers" that were just regular speakers in a round cabinet), and that thing was the poo poo. I bought it at least 2 years before the film as well so I was clearly setting a trend that lasted ~50 years.

Decius posted:

I, Robot takes place in 2035. Wearing stuff from 2010 doesn't seem more out of place than wearing stuff people were wearing in the Sixties or Seventies - which happens all the time. Converse look the way they look for about 100 years now, no reason to think they won't be something worn by people in 25 years.
Hoodies, sweatshirts, ties, shirts, jackets, jeans, skirts, T-shirts, sundresses - all stuff which hasn't changed that much (besides small changes in cut, some short-lived fashion fads and use of artificial fibers here and there, getting more casual generally and shorter in terms of skirts) in the last 70-80 years. Not really unreasonable to think people still will wear these things - or recognizable version of them - in 30, 50 or 100 years. The shoes I wear today (dark-brown Budapester) could have been sold 50 or 150 years ago without looking out of place any more than they would today, except for the rubber sole.
People wore M65-style jackets 40 years ago, today and probably still in 40 years.

But yeah, it was mostly done for advertising. Because wearing 30 year old "vintage" Converse means wearing Converse where the glue is not doing its job of gluing stuff together any more. Converse aren't made for eternity. Or even two seasons.

When Elsysium came out there was an incredibly whiny comment article in the paper about "why sci fi has no vision anymore" which complained that in Elysium there was no "vision" because how are we supposed to believe people still wear suits in the future? It also complained that the Fifth Element had the same problem which is a giant :wtf: because I don't see many muscle guys in tiny shorts and guys in leopard print body suits in my day to day life, but then maybe I'm just going to the wrong places as I don't have a flying asian guy coming to the window of my 500th floor house and giving me dim sum either.

Powerful Two-Hander has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Sep 4, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Quote is not edit!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Non Serviam posted:

Since we were talking about countries in movies and in reality, here's Chile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7gcXAPjWp4

Also, every major metropolitan area in America does not actually look like Toronto.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I think all AllSpark-accidentally-made transformers weren't supposed to be considered evil, just amoral as a result of going from Unthinking Machine to Suddenly Sentient Machine Organism.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I think all AllSpark-accidentally-made transformers weren't supposed to be considered evil, just amoral as a result of going from Unthinking Machine to Suddenly Sentient Machine Organism.

The problem with that is, Section 7 tried communicating with the newly created ones for decades. Every last one was a dickhead and had to be destroyed. I mean, they come out of the box loaded with weapons! Every time! A loving cell phone was firing missiles!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, to be fair, if you were born with automatic weaponry, wouldn't YOU shoot everything until someone taught you not to?

Why would they listen to squishy things that can't even change shape or even have built in weaponry?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

KoB posted:

I dont remember where anymore, but I've also read that American-English is much closer to what English was back when they originally left Britain, compared to today's British-English

Specifically, inland American English, like midwest or so. Coastal dialects picked up more of the same linguistic shifts that British English did. Hilariously, this means that if you want to get as close as possible to historical delivery of Shakespeare, you might want to get your actors from small town Iowa or something.

Once you know this, historical characters always having hyper-British accents might become an irrational irritation.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think it was a 70's movie, but it was called Orca, and was either supposed to do battle with the fans of Jaws or try to reel people in with the idea of a murderous Shamu. Since my mom had pissed herself in the theater after seeing Jaws for the first time, she rented Orca for us kids to watch at home. A movie about a man who decides to capture an orca and sell it to an aquarium, and the orca's mate's revenge against him.

What shocked me even as a kid is the fact that the greedy dude decides the best way to capture, and bring into captivity, a live orca...is to shoot it with a loving harpoon. Literally a harpoon, like the ones used to kill whales in the past. Not only does he skewer a loving orca in the side, but they drag the animal out of the water, so it's hanging upside down in the air (where the movie shows us a very bloody orca miscarriage. I poo poo you not.).

This is an animal the dude needs alive and in good condition. Why the gently caress was he shooting at it with a goddamn harpoon, and plan to keep it hoisted in the air like a goddamn trophy while they took it to the aquarium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
I saw Orca in the theater when it first came out, I still vividly remember that miscarriage scene. :( You're right, it was marketed as a movie that could outgross (in all senses) the hit of the previous summer, Jaws; there was a lot of controversy at the time over how gory Jaws was, but Orca was also boring and mean-spirited. I think they got in trouble for mistreating the whales they used in shooting as well. On the flipside, a more realistic aborted whale fetus has yet to appear on film. :barf:

• Locked thread