Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

snortpocket posted:

OP I just found you a new username

Yeah, you should send this thread for further proof of experience in e-waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay I just got back from the interview with the recycling company. It's a local company which specializes in e-waste. In fact, my interviewer had a few computer parts on his desk. It's an office position, Monday through Friday part-time, and it pays $12 an hour. I just sent him a brief thank-you letter via e-mail for interviewing me. He definitely has an accent and spoke in broken English. That shouldn't be too big of a problem though, I hope.

So what are the details, then? How do you think the interview went with the guy? You mention that his English wasn't good - was there trouble communicating your answers to him / miscommunications during the interview? Further, just a quick Google makes it sound like you might be lifting some pretty heavy stuff if they're taking older electronic equipment and not just people's broken flat screen monitors - do you think this is even a job you're capable of doing? I know a lot of people have poo poo on you, but honestly it seems like it could be pretty drat physically strenuous.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

That drat Satyr posted:

So what are the details, then? How do you think the interview went with the guy? You mention that his English wasn't good - was there trouble communicating your answers to him / miscommunications during the interview? Further, just a quick Google makes it sound like you might be lifting some pretty heavy stuff if they're taking older electronic equipment and not just people's broken flat screen monitors - do you think this is even a job you're capable of doing? I know a lot of people have poo poo on you, but honestly it seems like it could be pretty drat physically strenuous.
The position is at the corporate office and not onsite at the plant. His broken English made it so I had to ask questions throughout the interview. And as for how I did, I like to think I did well. I presented my resume and typing certification and pointed out my internship experience in order to show how I have administrative experience. I'll get a callback later on this week, hopefully.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It's a local company with a 'corporate office'? That seems a bit strange.
Where was the interview conducted, onsite or somewhere else?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Benny the Snake posted:

The position is at the corporate office and not onsite at the plant. His broken English made it so I had to ask questions throughout the interview. And as for how I did, I like to think I did well. I presented my resume and typing certification and pointed out my internship experience in order to show how I have administrative experience. I'll get a callback later on this week, hopefully.

If this company name begins with the letters "At" you could definitely help them have more coherent communications in English.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay I just got back from the interview with the recycling company. It's a local company which specializes in e-waste. In fact, my interviewer had a few computer parts on his desk. It's an office position, Monday through Friday part-time, and it pays $12 an hour. I just sent him a brief thank-you letter via e-mail for interviewing me. He definitely has an accent and spoke in broken English. That shouldn't be too big of a problem though, I hope.

That sounds good. What did you find out about your job responsibilities? Hours outside of part time (these things run 24x7 here)? Other job deets.

e: Have you googled the company name?

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

Benny, I can't figure out the most tactful way of saying this, but what the above poster said should ring true for every single place you interview at: Google the name of the place, and even include "scam" or "ripoff" along with the name of the company.

I was curious so I went and looked on Monster at the area you said you're from, for a recycling company that met the description. After finding the name, a very quick Google search lands a result that seems to be pretty spot on accurate in places with what you described in your interview (bad English skills, for example). I won't link the name of the company for privacy reasons, but here's the ripoff report (with the compay name edited out, of course)

quote:

Hello,

I am clearly writing this for Future employess of (COMPANY NAME). so you may be cautious and aware befor deciding to work for there comapy.

First off, I applied on Monster, looked interesting and seemed to be more of a customer service type of job. The next day I Recieved an Email from Johnson the business owner about interest in my resume and later asked to set up an interview. Well I got hired since he said first 3 months starting at $10 an hour plus bonuses then after 3 months it goes to $11 and after 1 yr $13 sounded great. He said I would be calling other vendors my entire shift just asking if there willing to do business with there company. I knew sometimes jobs (telemarketing) have a quata you need to meet. So I asked him if I didnt meet the goal of the week is there any type of penalty? Do you have a set goal we have to meet? and of course he said "No they dont have one, not to worry we will take care of you." So I took it.

The first day we got "training" which was for an hour.... Really only an Hour??? and later she told us that we need to show some results at the end of the day. I found out the lady who trained us had only been there for almost a month and same with everyone else who worked there. Only about 6 people in total work for this company and they all seem to be new like if the company barely started. I was then waiting for HR or someone to ask for my information for there employment record when i get paid and nothing so I thought maybe the next day they will. Well they have no Hr so they dont ask for any of that not even for you to fill out an application. Well the third day I came in and notice the guy who got hired with me was gone. Later found out "He didnt make his quota"What!!! how can he make his quota in about 2 days with 1 hour of training.. This made me nervous I then started looking elsewhere cause I knew this job was Full of it. Friday came and they still didnt ask me to fill any papers out for my employement or anything and at the end of the day was told I didnt make my quota and was let go. They gave me a check for the week I worked there with the correct amount but notice they didnt take taxes out of it. Looks like they dont have you sign papers cause were basically doing under the table work so they dont have to pay.

Moral of the story is to be careful with this job. Johnson barely speaks any English and he's always arguing with his wife (who also works there)

So... yeah, this doesn't look good. :/

On that note, though, if in the future you have job prospects (assuming you don't go with this one, mind) I will be glad to help you research the companies. I notice you post a lot in the messenger thread, my AIM handle is in my profile and I can also be contacted via PM. :sympathy:

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

^^^Good job drat Satyr for that cursory legwork.

Benny, we've all had to learn this the hardway. I remember my first time, it was post-interview for a 'marketing' company. The interviewer was in a bizarre office and just stared right into my eyes asking me if I was driven. Well the Bullshit :siren: went off and did the company name + 'scam' (just like TDS suggests) G.S, and low and behold—'twas a scam before Christmas.

Google search is your friend bro. For all things. Stay strong my lil duckling. Why not check Linked In job boards, those are usually legit.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Go for it, Benny. I'm serious. I'd really like to see what you can come up with, here. It might be a scam, it might not. (Probably is) This would be a really good opportunity to practice your executive functioning skills.

-Research it, as directed by posts above.
-Write down questions, comments, concerns, etc.
-Go in there with a notepad or take notes on your phone.

Listen, process the information, analyze the information, draw a conclusion and verify the conclusion made and respond appropriately and accordingly. Do not yes them to death.

Get yourself in a business mentality and talk business. Feel free to refuse and/or leverage into a compromise.

Grill them to death and take notes. Write a killer blog post outing them as a scam operation, if that's what they turn out to be. I really feel like you could use some confidence and professional personality.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

That drat Satyr posted:

Benny, I can't figure out the most tactful way of saying this, but what the above poster said should ring true for every single place you interview at: Google the name of the place, and even include "scam" or "ripoff" along with the name of the company.

I was curious so I went and looked on Monster at the area you said you're from, for a recycling company that met the description. After finding the name, a very quick Google search lands a result that seems to be pretty spot on accurate in places with what you described in your interview (bad English skills, for example). I won't link the name of the company for privacy reasons, but here's the ripoff report (with the compay name edited out, of course)

On that note, though, if in the future you have job prospects (assuming you don't go with this one, mind) I will be glad to help you research the companies. I notice you post a lot in the messenger thread, my AIM handle is in my profile and I can also be contacted via PM. :sympathy:
Holy gently caress that's the guy! I was interviewed by Johnson!

Aw, son of a bitch. I thought I was close to having an office job :smith:

EDIT: Thanks, Satyr :glomp:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 4, 2013

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

That drat Satyr posted:

This report looks like it was written by Benny, given the strong grasp of spelling, grammar, etc.

BENNY YOU TRAVEL BACK IN TIME TO WARN YOURSELF ABOUT THIS JOB. CONGRATS! You're a time traveller eventually.

Seriously though, I would check out the job and give it a few days, assuming you get an offer - it may be more legit than the obviously badly burnt employee feels it was, or at least might pay you, and at the very least it'll give you some perspective on what a truly lovely job is for when you apply somewhere else. Going for a few days while continuing to look for a job and collecting a paycheck for a few days before they let you go/you quit for a better job offer is perfectly fine.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I can't find this company on the Department of Labor website. Is there a website I can use to make sure that a company is legit?

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Glassdoor is one.

But you really just have to do the steps Satyr described, and I echoed brah.

1. Google Search : Company name + 'scam'; 'fake'; etc. Or just the company name.
2. Browse through reviews. If you see the online community saying it's fake or a scam or "fishy", then it's fake or bad and you'll probably end up not getting paid or whatever the consensus suggests.
2A. The second possibility is that there is nothing out there on them. If there's not even a Yellowpages or a Google Map result or a LinkedIn or a yelp or a website address—if the net's empty you should be suspicious and just keep looking.

In any case, if the results align to what I posted above just keep looking. Don't get discouraged. Your problem is that you're clinging to anything as THE JOB. Keep applying. The name of the game is to keep refining your replies and seeing what works when selling yourself to diff companies that you could potentially work for.

I have no doubt you'll nail it soon. Just keep taking your meds. And nevermind your retardness. Everyone is a retard.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Google saved me from going to a Vector Marketing interview. See Benny, this thread came through for you!

Sorry that your possible job isn't going to work out though :/

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I had a job like that for a week. It was cold-calling people trying to sell them timeshares in a round about and sleazy way. I was 18 and just used every lunch break to go apply at stores in the mall next door until I got out. Only worked there a week. They ended up getting busted later for a bunch of labor violations. gently caress you, Pacific Monarch!

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

The best sites to look up business that might be scammy on (aside from just Googling, which will always find results from these sites anyway) are things like Ripoff Report, Pissed Consumer, Complaints Board, and there are others but those are really the big three to check out. Of course, if it's a smaller company you might have trouble finding any info on them - such as this one, there was just the one complaint (which I found on Ripoff Report) and it was from some time ago. Another place to look for information posted by consumers or past employees is Topix.com - it's like a lowgrade community forum, and there's a lot of bullshit but it does have a search function and most often if someone's been burned bad enough, they might have posted about it there.

As for finding legit data about companies, this website seems to be pretty decent in terms of statistical data: Find The Company

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Well the guy did say he got paid in the report...

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Well my plan is I'm going in to the recycling company if they do call me in. But the moment I smell something fishy like no documents to sign I'm asking questions and if no answers I'm getting out.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

Well my plan is I'm going in to the recycling company if they do call me in. But the moment I smell something fishy like no documents to sign I'm asking questions and if no answers I'm getting out.

Dude, you've already smelt something fishy. You are, in fact, surrounded by the stench of rotten fish.

I'm not saying don't go if they call, it could be good for a laugh if nothing else, but under no circumstances accept employment with these people.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

Benny the Snake posted:

Reminder: you couldn't hold down a job where your only duty was putting things into a box.

You're wasting your time. You aren't going to be able to convince strangers to do business, aren't going to "make quota" and will be fired within three days.

This is also I think the third scammy business you've gotten excited about. We already called you out on some sort of prepaid legal cold calling thing.

Use your loving head Benny, and learn from your mistakes.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
I almost feel that it should be impossible for one person to have luck this bad. Good luck with the cashier thing thoguh, i guess that's at least legit?

WHY DID YOU LIKE ELYSIUM????

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AcidRonin posted:

I almost feel that it should be impossible for one person to have luck this bad. Good luck with the cashier thing thoguh, i guess that's at least legit?

WHY DID YOU LIKE ELYSIUM????

Is it really luck at this point, when we've established that Benny has literal mental issues that prevent him from making good decisions?

This also ties in to your question.

Benny, until your psych says "Hey, you've made good progress, why don't you start looking for work?" maybe it wouldn't be the worst idea to stop looking for a bit, at least until you get your therapy/medication situation sorted.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

WampaLord posted:

Is it really luck at this point, when we've established that Benny has literal mental issues that prevent him from making good decisions?

I meant the scam job thing? Benny is a fuckup but that still is a rotten bit of luck.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

AcidRonin posted:

I meant the scam job thing? Benny is a fuckup but that still is a rotten bit of luck.

Yeah, I think he was referring to being able to discern whether 'opportunities' are worth time/effort, as well as Benny being able to recognize what are signs of promise and what aren't, in prospective employment-terms.

That and still not having the forethought or mental presence to do a cursory google search of a company name before heading into an interview in the year of our Lord, 2013.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

AcidRonin posted:

It only looks like bad luck because 20% of his job searching has been some recycling scam. After nine months of job searching, nobody should even remember the scams and the bad postings, but to Benny there are notable because that's all he's done. He should have sent hundreds of applications by now. He should have sent out so many resumes he can't even remember them all. But instead we've had a handful.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

reflex posted:

He should have sent out so many resumes he can't even remember them all. But instead we've had a handful.

And every time he communicates with another person he comes on here to tell us about how he has a job lined up.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In fairness, he has landed more interviews (and, for that matter, job offers) than a lot of people in his position.

Even if it's just by coincidence, he's doing something right. And then a bunch of other things wrong, but I don't think "not working hard enough at finding a job" is a thing he can seriously be accused of.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

docbeard posted:

In fairness, he has landed more interviews (and, for that matter, job offers) than a lot of people in his position.

Even if it's just by coincidence, he's doing something right. And then a bunch of other things wrong, but I don't think "not working hard enough at finding a job" is a thing he can seriously be accused of.
A handful of interviews in nine months at places such as Target and the recycling scam centre is a better record than most college graduates? He is accomplishing things high schoolers accomplish and still getting fired because he can't match their level. He is absolutely not working hard enough at finding a job.

Edit: What has Benny done to improve his situation in the past nine months other than spend money to get his resume spruced up for :homebrew:? Getting meds or whatever is fine, but that doesn't excuse that he hasn't done anything to help himself professionally.

reflex fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 4, 2013

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

reflex posted:

A handful of interviews in nine months at places such as Target and the recycling scam centre is a better record than most college graduates? He is accomplishing things high schoolers accomplish and still getting fired because he can't match their level. He is absolutely not working hard enough at finding a job.

I sent out 30-40 resumes over a month or so and didn't get a single interview with my college degree. My husband has an MA and has sent out dozens of resumes and has had the same luck. Yes, it can be that hard to get a job, depending on where you are.

Benny should not be getting fired from Target, obviously, but don't act like he's not getting more interviews than a whole lot of college grads these days.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
If you took an interview with every spammer on Monster and Craisglist, you'd have a lot of interviews too.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

reflex posted:

Edit: What has Benny done to improve his situation in the past nine months other than spend money to get his resume spruced up for :homebrew:? Getting meds or whatever is fine, but that doesn't excuse that he hasn't done anything to help himself professionally.

Aren't you that little rich kid whose been handed everything to him? Or am I thinking of a different person with a Fonzie avatar.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Skinny King Pimp posted:

I sent out 30-40 resumes over a month or so and didn't get a single interview with my college degree. My husband has an MA and has sent out dozens of resumes and has had the same luck. Yes, it can be that hard to get a job, depending on where you are.

Pretty much this, I was sending out resumes to targeted positions with 10+ years of pertinent experience and had a callback/interview rate of maybe 15% when I was unemployed between August 2012 and this past January. Benny may be a fuckup in several areas but not getting interviews/hired in the current job market is a universal problem.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Benny should not be getting fired from Target, obviously, but don't act like he's not getting more interviews than a whole lot of college grads these days.

So what are the degrees in? And the jobs which are being applied to? *preposition ending*

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Darth123123 posted:

So what are the degrees in? And the jobs which are being applied to? *preposition ending*

I have a BA in German and I have clerical experience and good references. I was just trying to get a bullshit office job as a receptionist or filing clerk or something like that. Nothing fancy. My husband has an MA in German and is applying to office jobs at German multinationals and anything else he can find through the German American Chamber of Commerce. The former president of the GACC and the head of compliance at Daimler have his resume through a friend of ours who works with both of them. He has clerical and construction/electrical experience (what he's doing right now) along with his teaching assistantship while he was in graduate school. Both of our degrees are from an R1 university with a respectable German department. We have both stayed at our different jobs for relatively long periods of time and have good reasons for leaving them - moving, going back to school, getting a better job, etc.

It's really hard to even get an interview most of the time, trust me.

e: I should add that he's fine with the job he has now while he waits for an interview and it more than pays the bills. I'm back in school for a science degree so I can get a research position in industry. This isn't a post asking for advice or anything like that, just illustrating that it's not just "jesus, you have a degree, why don't you have a job yet?"

Skinny King Pimp fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 5, 2013

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

reflex posted:

What has Benny done to improve his situation in the past nine months other than spend money to get his resume spruced up for :homebrew:?
He's started seeing a therapist and getting medication. Benny has a diagnosis that can significantly hamper his daily life. Addressing that successfully is going to make him much, much more capable of interviewing successfully.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I kind of want you to take the job. It can only lead to more great stories.

This makes me a bad person. Do not take this job.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
He shouldn't get invested in the job but he may as well take a few days worth of their money. I don't really think it would hurt anything. Do keep looking though.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

One of my first jobs was a bit scammy. PIRG: Public Interest Research Group. "Summer jobs for the environment!!" they said. It was going door-to-door asking for money, and we had quotas to meet. I lasted less than two weeks. But it taught me about work and how to play the game and I got perspective on what a lovely job looks like.

Who cares if the recycling gig is bullshit, go work for a week or two! There is nothing to lose here, and you might learn a little about yourself/work/other people, or at least meet some friends in your same situation.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I saw this news article and couldn't help thinking of this thread. How well can you dance, Benny?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23972952

"A university graduate says he was left humiliated after being asked to dance to a Daft Punk song during a job interview at an electronics superstore.

Alan Bacon, 21, thought working at Currys in Cardiff would be ideal given his love of cameras, and he spent a week preparing for the interview.

But instead of showcasing his skills, he ended up doing robotic-style dancing "like a scene out of [BBC TV comedy] The Office".

Currys has since apologised.

It has also admitted that the dance segment of the interview had been a mistake and was not part of its official recruitment processes.."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
It's the way the jobhunting scene is these days. Benny, take the initiative and start beatboxing the next time a potential employer asks for your name.

• Locked thread