Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

Holistic Detective posted:

My girlfriend just picked up this awesome wee thing for me in London, the Agfa Optima. Arguably the worlds first point and shoot camera:

Finally got a roll off:

MAI by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Avenue by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Penguin by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Rhino Head by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I went to a local photo store that occasionally has used 35mm P&S cameras for sale. They wanted $190 for a used XA with flash.

Then I went to the Goodwill bins and got a bungee cord, a beanie and a mint Epic DLX for 95c :getin:

That's hosed. They're like $50 max on ebay. That camera place was gouging the poo poo out of you.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Awkward Davies posted:

That's hosed. They're like $50 max on ebay. That camera place was gouging the poo poo out of you.

Depends on the XA model (XA/XA2/XA3/XA4) and flash model (A9M/A1L/A11/A16).

The A16 is a pain in the rear end to find in working order on the cheap, because it's the rarest of the lot and also happens to be the one that gives the most light and flashes. It quite frequently sells for twice the price of the camera it's going to be attached to.

[edit] Not to say you can't get an XA1 + A16 for under $20 if you wait long enough and look hard enough, but it's a combination that can end up pricey as hell. And not to say the dealer isn't gouging (because they, as most camera merchants, definitely are), but just to say it might not be as hilariously overpriced as it might seem.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 17, 2013

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Time to go get drunk I guess.
you mean time to get prego :coal:

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Looks in pretty good shape.. Nice detail in this one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Agfa made a lot of really quality stuff, they're generally underappreciated. The one killer issue is whatever grease they used, which the ages have turned into a gooey green cement. They can be cleaned with some elbow grease, use a hairdryer to warm it up a bit.

A few models also use extinct cartridges, such as Agfa Rapid.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 21, 2013

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Got around to playing with the XA: I can't focus for poo poo and half the roll isn't salvageable, but I really like the results.

I'll keep a roll in this thing but f/2.8 won't work for me until I figure how to focus.
Somebody asked me if it was "a disposable camera" btw.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 22, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

unpacked robinhood posted:

Got around to playing with the XA: I can't focus for poo poo and half the roll isn't salvageable, but I really like the results.

I'll keep a roll in this thing but f/2.2 won't work for me until I figure how to focus.
Somebody asked me if it was "a disposable camera" btw.

You should check the rangefinder calibration - many XAs out there have horrifically out of calibration rangefinders. It's also worth practicing to get good at zone focusing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The rangefinder on the XA sucks anyway, and it's also prone to fading. Zone focusing is how you'll use it for everything except closeups (which is the one place it's really needed anyway). It goes from 3m to infinity within a tiny amount of travel due to the wide angle lens. 35mm is pretty wide, it's not really necessary to worry about precise focus anyway.

Note there's a snapshot setting in red on the focus and aperture.

For such a small camera the ergonomics are really amazing. I think it's one of the easiest small cameras to operate.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 23, 2013

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
after heading back to the camera shop that was selling a XA with A1L flash for $190 I found out that it was partly due to them rebuilding almost all of the XAs that come through. Doesn't mean I'm anywhere closer to actually spending that much on one but I guess it is a little more understandable.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

oozingfun
Feb 4, 2011
Keep this thread aliveeeeeee

oozingfun fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 14, 2013

tuddy
Aug 1, 2006
I'll scream it until your ears bleed; You'll always have a friend in me.
I stopped taking pictures for a year after some tragedy in my life... however Im back!

yashica t4, ektar 100

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

So my girlfriend's father sent us this:

Minolta RIVA Panorama by 2R_Roger, on Flickr

It's a Minolta Riva, a "panoramic" 35mm. By "panoramic" I mean a 24mm lens with a plastic housing around it so that you get a long rectangular image that looks like a panorama. The thing is, the lens on it is pretty great:

New York City by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Prospect Park by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Teaching Forrest how to ride a bike by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Me - Taken by AK by spikespikespike, on Flickr

It's been a fun camera to trade between my girlfriend and I.

I saw these photos a week ago and have been drooling over them since. I just won the only ebay listing for one of these cameras that happened to be new in box for $42. Best purchase ever.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I have a question about my XA because I'm bad at photography... I've got the original XA and an A11 flash. The flash has settings for 100 and 400 ASA, but which (or neither if that's the right answer) should I use if I want to use flash with say... 200 speed film?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Sega Saturn posted:

I have a question about my XA because I'm bad at photography... I've got the original XA and an A11 flash. The flash has settings for 100 and 400 ASA, but which (or neither if that's the right answer) should I use if I want to use flash with say... 200 speed film?

I'd go with 100, you should err on the side of overexposure with negative film.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

eggsovereasy posted:

I'd go with 100, you should err on the side of overexposure with negative film.

Awesome. Thanks!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

My dad just gave me his Rollei 35 SE in mint condition (with flash, and still has a working mercury oxide battery). Two questions:

1) What's the best (cheapest) replacement for the battery once this one dies out?
2) Any tips on how to zone focus :ohdear:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cacator posted:

My dad just gave me his Rollei 35 SE in mint condition (with flash, and still has a working mercury oxide battery). Two questions:

1) What's the best (cheapest) replacement for the battery once this one dies out?

maxmars posted a good guide somewhere, I picked up a Rolleimat F a few weeks ago. It's really difficult to Zone focus for me and I got like one or two shots in focus on the test roll :saddowns:

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Cacator posted:

Stop worrying and love the Rollei? If it makes you feel any better, most of my out of focus shots come from carelessness. Adding the mental step of focus being a separate action without an out of focus viewfinder to remind me was much trickier than guestimating focus distance, especially if I stop down a bit.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I'm going to make some prints for some friends and was looking for some suggestions with regard to retouching. I went through and cleared up dust and film scratches and may go back in to try to knock out the thumbprint in the first photo but what do you think of the color/contrast?

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 5, 2013

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The first shot looks a bit magenta to me.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Spedman posted:

The first shot looks a bit magenta to me.

Tweaked it a bit and replaced it in the post with the updated version. Thanks!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

For the sort of vibe I think is intended, darkening them overall, giving them real black shadows, and tweaking the colour balance to be slightly exagerrated are all things to try. Think of drugstore glossies before digital minilabs.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Reichstag posted:

For the sort of vibe I think is intended, darkening them overall, giving them real black shadows, and tweaking the colour balance to be slightly exagerrated are all things to try. Think of drugstore glossies before digital minilabs.

I'm guessing something in the internet k-hole vibe:
:nws: http://internetkhole.blogspot.com :nws:

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Cacator posted:

Wassup Rollei 35 SE friend? :D

Here's your answers.
As for the battery, I strongly suggest you get a small converter that will let you use modern batteries with your Rollei. This will take care of different voltages and whatnot, so that your light meter always works as it should. I am located in Europe so I went with them:

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/

Nice service and awesome products. You want this:
1 x V27PX_Adapter and 4 x 386 silver oxide cell kit

As for zone focus, consider getting a small external rangefinder, like the Watameter II, on the bay or similar (they're old stuff) if you want to use the lens for portraits and/or shooting it wide open. Normally you just load it with 400 ASA film, put it on f/11 and you have everything on focus from 3m on.

This is an incredibly compact but clumsy camera with an incredible lens. I've started calling it my TARDIS: needs to be tamed, seems to have a life of its own and in the end it never fails to amaze you. Oh and its pictures always come out bigger than what they seemed on the viewfinder. :D

A couple of my latest pics, taken in not-so-easy lighting conditions.

Walls di maxmars70, su Flickr

Vicolo a Peschici di maxmars70, su Flickr

Massimo di maxmars70, su Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I saw these photos a week ago and have been drooling over them since. I just won the only ebay listing for one of these cameras that happened to be new in box for $42. Best purchase ever.

Sorry it's been a while since I've checked this thread.

Did you get it? Did it work out?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Spedman posted:

this rules

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Spedman posted:

Fashionably late to the show, as per usual, but I want to echo that this rules.
Also it's very 35mm point-and-shooty. It really captures the essence of the medium.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Awkward Davies posted:

Sorry it's been a while since I've checked this thread.

Did you get it? Did it work out?

I did! I have shot four rolls on it and developed nothing yet so I have no idea how they turned out. Probably like poo poo because I have never shot film before, but it was fun!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VomitOnLino posted:

Fashionably late to the show, as per usual, but I want to echo that this rules.
Also it's very 35mm point-and-shooty. It really captures the essence of the medium.

Only problem I have with it is all that documentation that the 80's existed.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

half frame is twice the fun

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

dukeku posted:

half frame is twice the fun

Olympus PEN?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Fed Micron :getin:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Has anybody had any experience modding a Stylus Epic by placing translucent colored tape over the light meter? Mine tends to underexpose photos and I might try to do something like this to correct it.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Chill Callahan posted:

Has anybody had any experience modding a Stylus Epic by placing translucent colored tape over the light meter? Mine tends to underexpose photos and I might try to do something like this to correct it.

You could always modify the DX code on the film canister so the camera thinks it's lower ISO than it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DX_encoding

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"How do I focus ?"

"I dunno lol"

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

The flash on my mju ii decided to kick it. Miss that thing :(

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 2, 2013

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
Watch my friends drink you say:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Santa is strapped posted:

The flash on my mju ii decided to kick it. Miss that thing :(

I just realized the we're probably IKEA table buddies. Sup?!

• Locked thread