Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

LvK posted:

I misremembered it as "Bio Field Generator" or something and I still feel like that'd be a lot better "legit" name than "Bio-Force Gun".

Still no "Big F**king Gun", though.

They did call it a big loving gun at least once in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

The real name for it is obviously the Big Friendly Giant.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

They did call it a big loving gun at least once in the movie.

Yeah, when the Rock found it he remarked "That is a big... loving... gun."

Really if they were going to mess with the plot that much (They demons aren't even demons!) they should have just adapted the comic. Random environmental message and all.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Keiya posted:

Really if they were going to mess with the plot that much (They demons aren't even demons!) they should have just adapted the comic. Random environmental message and all.

I would watch the poo poo out of an animated Doom movie inspired by the comics. It'd be like Heavy Metal, only without the titties.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Keiya posted:

Random environmental message and all.
"MIGHT MAKES LIGHT"?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's another great multiplayer mod for Quake 2 to add to the OP:

QPONG: Basically imagine soccer where you push around the ball with your weapons into the other team's goal.
http://qpong.hypexr.org/

Couldn't find a video of people playing the original mod but here's one from someone working on the same concept for UT2k4 that gets the concept across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k68d1jxg2js

I really wish they'd port this game mode to other games like TF2 and such, it's really fun.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

ColoradoCleric posted:

Here's another great multiplayer mod for Quake 2 to add to the OP:

QPONG: Basically imagine soccer where you push around the ball with your weapons into the other team's goal.
http://qpong.hypexr.org/

Couldn't find a video of people playing the original mod but here's one from someone working on the same concept for UT2k4 that gets the concept across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k68d1jxg2js

I really wish they'd port this game mode to other games like TF2 and such, it's really fun.

I remember playing qpong arena at quakecon 2001. It's still out there to download, too

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

ColoradoCleric posted:

For a while Halo Reach had a variation of this, with a single hockey-themed map, and it became my only reason to play the game. Guns were pretty much useless, so the game was a series of melee battles followed by everyone racing across the map to get to the ball first. There was nothing better than trying to play goalie and stop a giant ball from getting past you while fending off attacks from opposing team members.

Halo Reach's "Action Sack" playlist was really the closest that online console FPS's got to the mods that PC games have. It was a constantly-revolving set of game modes, ranging from everyone using a fixed weapon loadout to hockey, FPS skeeball, multi-flag CTF with vehicles... it really reminded me of the Quake 2 mods I played back in the day. Unfortunately, they pulled the playlist off Reach when Halo 4 launched, and this new version has far less variety.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The later Bungie Halos were surprisingly good with custom stuff for console games, with their weird GMod-ish system that could be prodded into primitive custom maps of a sort.

Oh yeah, Duke3D and Shadow Warrior updated on Steam to add Linux support, widescreen-friendly weapon sprites, user map support in Duke, and a couple more achievements, one of which has this icon:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

RyokoTK posted:

It's the Bio-Force Gun. :jerkbag:

The Doom movie was loving terrible by any sense of the word.

On the other hand, Ghosts of Mars was actually a fantastic Doom movie.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Kins posted:

The later Bungie Halos were surprisingly good with custom stuff for console games, with their weird GMod-ish system that could be prodded into primitive custom maps of a sort.

Oh yeah, Duke3D and Shadow Warrior updated on Steam to add Linux support, widescreen-friendly weapon sprites, user map support in Duke, and a couple more achievements, one of which has this icon:

I'd pay $20 for an updated version of Duke3d that was windows compatible and had out of the box multiplayer and co op support.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ColoradoCleric posted:

I'd pay $20 for an updated version of Duke3d that was windows compatible and had out of the box multiplayer and co op support.
Multiplayer's supposedly in the works, but they're sure taking their time with it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't mind the time it takes if they get proper steamworks matchmaking and decent netcode. Also that achievement icon is amazing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I didn't really notice until now that the hand in the icon is one of the sprites of Duke's hand taken from the game.

ColoradoCleric posted:

Well good news, Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition is fully windows compatible with smoother (but not blurry/anti-aliased to hell) graphics, multiplayer on the way, and it's only $10.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Duke 3D Megaton is a pretty decent port and works a hell of a lot better on my system than eDuke32. I really hope they get Multiplayer sorted out soon though, as it was originally targeted for July.

Shadow Warrior Classic Redux on the other hand runs like complete garbage and Devolver support stopped responding to any of my help requests on it. Probably best to avoid that one for the time being.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So here's something you don't see every day: a lost early FPS! Apparently, a company based in Taiwan reverse engineered the Doom engine, ripped a few graphics from it and Duke Nukem 3D, and then assembled themselves a game called MARS 3D. Apart from nobody ever having heard of it before, there are some very interesting quirks to it. As already stated, it's clearly reverse engineered from Doom, as indicated by both strings found in the EXE and very similar things found among the game's archives. But to my surprise, it also has a few features that no official Doom-engine game ever had, such as underwater areas (complete with a view warping effect!) and a Duke 3D-style overlaid automap. It also seems to have friendly NPCs who you can talk to, between mission screens, and whatnot. And despite having ripped a few things here and there, the graphical style is overall pretty slick, though the sounds and music leave something to be desired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TUO56YOyjg

I have a link to download it, but I don't know what the legality of that would be as it is a unlicensed pirate title. It also may or may not have even been publicly released, so who knows?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I have a link to download it, but I don't know what the legality of that would be as it is a unlicensed pirate title. It also may or may not have even been publicly released, so who knows?

Abandonware is generally covered under the rules around here, and a decade-or-more-old Frankenstein's bootleg that was possibly never even released in any legal capacity should be even more safe.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 4, 2013

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Just chiming in to say that the user map functionality totally works for Megaton Edition. If they can add proper multiplayer and Steam Workshop support, it'll easily be the best version of Duke3D available.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

That wrist mounted boomerang frisbee launcher is amazing. We need to get this crap in Reelism. Apart from some general wonkiness the game doesn't look that bad, either.

In other news, I love that one of the Duke3D achievements is called "Oomph, Uugh, Where is it?"

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

So here's something you don't see every day: a lost early FPS! Apparently, a company based in Taiwan reverse engineered the Doom engine, ripped a few graphics from it and Duke Nukem 3D, and then assembled themselves a game called MARS 3D. Apart from nobody ever having heard of it before, there are some very interesting quirks to it. As already stated, it's clearly reverse engineered from Doom, as indicated by both strings found in the EXE and very similar things found among the game's archives. But to my surprise, it also has a few features that no official Doom-engine game ever had, such as underwater areas (complete with a view warping effect!) and a Duke 3D-style overlaid automap. It also seems to have friendly NPCs who you can talk to, between mission screens, and whatnot. And despite having ripped a few things here and there, the graphical style is overall pretty slick, though the sounds and music leave something to be desired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TUO56YOyjg

Haha I love the duke 3d pistol sprite edit and blatant texture rips/edits from doom and duke.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dang, check out that fog! :monocle:

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
I picked some of that Doom/Quake stuff up at PAX Prime:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Commander Keenan posted:

Oh man, I want one of those t-shirts so bad but they don't sell them (just the other Doom t-shirt). Lucky.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

Man, I want that shirt. So much better than the logo one they have on the website.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Commander Keenan posted:

Not to take away from the awesome Doom/Quake stuff, but I love that Robocop poster.

Is Vivisector old-school enough? It's pretty fun, if not great, and I'd say it plays like Serious Sam.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Convex posted:

Shadow Warrior Classic Redux on the other hand runs like complete garbage and Devolver support stopped responding to any of my help requests on it. Probably best to avoid that one for the time being.

I didn't seem to have any problems with Shadow Warrior Classic Redux. Played through half of the game already, but still need to finish up Twin Dragon and Wanton Destruction, and didn't have anything break on me. Anything in particular I should keep an eye out for?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I haven't had any performance issues either, even on a netbook running Ubuntu when the Linux version was still in beta.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I have a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k, Asus 560ti and 8gb of RAM, running Windows 7 x64. I get constant micro stuttering practically everywhere, vsync or not. Duke3d runs fine, though :shrug:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Convex posted:

I have a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k, Asus 560ti and 8gb of RAM, running Windows 7 x64. I get constant micro stuttering practically everywhere, vsync or not. Duke3d runs fine, though :shrug:

I have the exact same setup and Duke 3D Megaton runs bad with VSYNC on (well, there's mouselag). It's fine without but then there's a lot of tearing. Shadow Warrior seems to run about the same.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The Megaton edition doesn't have an updated sector limit, coding abilities, or newer mapper features that Eduke32 does so you're severely gimping yourself just sticking to that one. The vast majority of usermaps released now go above the old limits.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

poo poo dude, I'd pay some scratch for that style of doom shirt.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

FirstPersonShitter posted:

poo poo dude, I'd pay some scratch for that style of doom shirt.

Yeah, I'm hoping some pop up in the next few days, because the style they sell in the Bethesda store is not nearly as radical.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?
If you're in the beta patch for Megaton Edition, the three XBL multiplayer kill achievements are now in. Hopefully this means MP sooner than later.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That Doom shirt is available from Gamestop's Power Up Rewards store. Their shirt has a white border around the picture, though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Mill Village posted:

That Doom shirt is available from Gamestop's Power Up Rewards store. Their shirt has a white border around the picture, though.

Oh nice catch. I wonder if the Gamestop one has that soft vintage-tee feel.

Iceman2343
May 7, 2007

I'll take the Job.

Hot Topic has one, but I think it's on clearance as it is discounted and only has small and 2 XX sizes left.

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Tees/AllTees/DOOM+Cover+Slim-Fit+T-Shirt-10014720.jsp

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Keiya posted:

Yeah, when the Rock found it he remarked "That is a big... loving... gun."

He actually had to fight to use that line, as he's a fan of the games.

I'm tempted to get a Cacodemon plushie.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fqpw60tjbszia28/MARS3D_game_with_CDimage.zip

There's a link to MARS 3D. It comes with a CD image because the game has a CD check that obviously hasn't been cracked. You know, since this game has never been seen until now. Just note that the guy who found this seems to indicate that it's kind of unstable, so don't be surprised if you experience crashing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I think it's important to recognize just how drat good Doom's box art was. Not that a lot of players actually ever saw it or anything even back then, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Cream_Filling posted:

I think it's important to recognize just how drat good Doom's box art was. Not that a lot of players actually ever saw it or anything even back then, but still.

Seriously, it's right up there with Wasteland's for me. I can't even begin to guess at the number of hours I spent as a kid just sitting and staring at it.