Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I imagine it would be the same thing as when Nintendo offered to buy Rare back from Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Justin_Brett posted:

I imagine it would be the same thing as when Nintendo offered to buy Rare back from Microsoft.

This happened and Microsoft wasn't like "Oh god please yes this was a horrible investment!"?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Srice posted:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than that. They aren't making Mega Man games right now but the overall sales record for the franchise ain't bad. IPs can be valuable over a long period of time (plus their annual report says that Mega Man is one of their main franchises) even if they aren't actively being used right now. Capcom may be making a lot of dumb decisions lately but they definitely aren't dumb enough that they'd let go of one of their oldest IPs for chump change. My rather uneducated guess would be somewhere in the hundred millions before they'd consider an offer.

Plus there is no way in hell Capcom would sell it to Inafune. (Maybe some one else if the price was high enough, but never to him) That would admitting a mistake to a man that left them after working there for 25 years and there is no way in hell the Capcom higher ups are going to allow that to happen.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 4, 2013

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

TaurusOxford posted:

"Boss, everyone is throwing money at that guy we thought was crazy for liking Megaman so much. What do we do?"

"Hmmmmm, search the internet for more half-finished megaman fangames. We'll show that Inafune who's boss."

It's pretty obvious that there's way more backroom office politics behind Capcom's recent decisions than anyone online knows about. For all we know, Inafune got into an argument with the CEO at one meeting and slowly got pushed out the door in revenge.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mister Roboto posted:

It's pretty obvious that there's way more backroom office politics behind Capcom's recent decisions than anyone online knows about. For all we know, Inafune got into an argument with the CEO at one meeting and slowly got pushed out the door in revenge.

Counterpoint: Capcom is a den of incompetence that managed to gently caress up production release box art for not one but two games in recent memory. Yeah, sure, it was Capcom USA, but the JP side of things really doesn't seem to be doing much better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ryoshi posted:

Counterpoint: Capcom is a den of incompetence that managed to gently caress up production release box art for not one but two games in recent memory. Yeah, sure, it was Capcom USA, but the JP side of things really doesn't seem to be doing much better.

I must've missed it, but which 2? I can think of Okami, but that wasn't so recent.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't know about box art, but Resident Evil Revelaitons was a thing for a while.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I just looked it up, didn't realize that Okami was five years ago already. The other one though was Resident Evil: Revelations last year.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but personally I don't think "spell your own game's title right on the box" is a particularly unrealistic expectation for a company that has been making games for thirty years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

I just looked it up, didn't realize that Okami was five years ago already. The other one though was Resident Evil: Revelations last year.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but personally I don't think "spell your own game's title right on the box" is a particularly unrealistic expectation for a company that has been making games for thirty years.

Konami, Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai and 2K Games and various others have all had typos on their box art fairly recently as well. Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others. It happens. It's dumb but going "ha ha, CAPCOM' for this is silly.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Also, RE6's cover looked like a child sucking off a giraffe.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Konami, Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai and 2K Games and various others have all had typos on their box art fairly recently as well. Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others. It happens. It's dumb but going "ha ha, CAPCOM' for this is silly.

I honestly wasn't aware of that, but Capcom is still up there in terms of screwing things up. Those examples were just particularly egregious and visible.*

* I fully admit to being biased due to the way Capcom handled MML3 and its cancellation, and I am fully aware of how dumb that is.

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

:stonk:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

What? What the gently caress are you t--... Oh no. OH NO

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Should we get a Mighty No.9 thread up, that way we don't clog up the Kickstarter and Mega Man threads?

... Not that there's a whole lot Mighty No.9 is getting the way of in this thread...

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Snix posted:

Should we get a Mighty No.9 thread up, that way we don't clog up the Kickstarter and Mega Man threads?

... Not that there's a whole lot Mighty No.9 is getting the way of in this thread...

I don't think that's allowed without mod approval, since it's a Kickstarter game. Though honestly, what else is the Megaman thread going to talk about other than fan-made projects? No9 is practically a Megaman game in everything but name.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
At this point, I just want to see Capcom go down in flames. It takes a special kind of talent to ruin every single on of your classic franchises with such panache and style.

No game Capcom ever makes will reach "CoD numbers." They need to just sigh, shrug their shoulders, and make niche games to please their fans like a bunch of other Japanese developers. It's not crazy cash, but it'd be consistent money as well as tons of good will from the fans, which would eventually snowball into future profit.

I'm not super-happy about Inafune doing this thing, though. I'd rather see a new Megaman game, not yet another indie knock-off even if Inafune's behind the wheel. Hell, I'd rather see Inti get another crack at it -- ZXA was one of my favorite in the entire series, despite the mediocre abstract boss designs.

EDIT: Also, shouldn't Inafune make a new series? It's bad enough Megaman started off as Astroboy with the serial numbers filed off, but now he's making a knockoff of a knockoff.

Screaming Idiot fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 5, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm not super-happy about Inafune doing this thing, though. I'd rather see a new Megaman game, not yet another indie knock-off even if Inafune's behind the wheel. Hell, I'd rather see Inti get another crack at it -- ZXA was one of my favorite in the entire series, despite the mediocre abstract boss designs.

But... Inti Creates is part of Mighty No.9. :confused:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Screaming Idiot posted:

At this point, I just want to see Capcom go down in flames. It takes a special kind of talent to ruin every single on of your classic franchises with such panache and style.

No game Capcom ever makes will reach "CoD numbers." They need to just sigh, shrug their shoulders, and make niche games to please their fans like a bunch of other Japanese developers. It's not crazy cash, but it'd be consistent money as well as tons of good will from the fans, which would eventually snowball into future profit.

EDIT: Also, shouldn't Inafune make a new series? It's bad enough Megaman started off as Astroboy with the serial numbers filed off, but now he's making a knockoff of a knockoff.

I really don't see the point in that. I don't even think Capcom is alone in what is happening to them. Konami only has a handful of strong franchises left as well. Castlevania would be buried just like Mega Man if it wasn't for Lords of Shadow.

Resident Evil, Dead Rising, and Dragon's Dogma are still strong franchises as well as Monster Hunter.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Kyrosiris posted:

But... Inti Creates is part of Mighty No.9. :confused:

Under the auspice of Capcom, I should have said. As annoyed at Capcom as I am, it'd be nice to see them make a real Megaman game again.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
You're not probably going to see that for a while. Capcom and Inafune aren't on the best of terms anymore, and Capcom has no interest of making or even getting another company such as Inti Creates to make a Mega Man game. But I'm sure with Comcept and Inti Creates behind the wheel, Mighty No.9 will be a fine game. Plus, the kickstarter mentions "similar, but different." So perhaps this will put a refreshing spin on the Mega Man formula. And maybe if the overwhelming positive reception continues well into and beyond the game's release, Mega Man will come out of retirement. (Maybe they'll even revive Legends 3 (probably not.)) Though, if Capcom continues with their recent streak, maybe it's better than Mega Man has taken the helmet off for now.

And if you want to see Inafune try something different, you don't actually have to look far. If you have a Vita, give Soul Sacrifice a shot.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Snix posted:

And maybe if the overwhelming positive reception continues well into and beyond the game's release, Mega Man will come out of retirement. (Maybe they'll even revive Legends 3 (probably not.))

With MN9 being a runaway success I'm half expecting Capcom will have the nerve to launch a Mega Man Legends 3 kickstarter.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

That'd be pretty neat. I'm hoping it inspires some other Japanese developers to bring back series or genres through kickstarter. Of course, by "Japanese developers" I mean Yu Suzuki, and by "series or genres" I mean Shenmue III.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

J-Spot posted:

With MN9 being a runaway success I'm half expecting Capcom will have the nerve to launch a Mega Man Legends 3 kickstarter.

The sad part is....I'd back it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Ryoshi posted:

This is not a mutually exclusive point to mine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Snix posted:

That'd be pretty neat. I'm hoping it inspires some other Japanese developers to bring back series or genres through kickstarter. Of course, by "Japanese developers" I mean Yu Suzuki, and by "series or genres" I mean Shenmue III.

I don't think Yu Suzuki would be content to make another Shenmue game with a kickstarter budget, and I'm not sure I'd want to play it, either.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

According to the Shenmue wiki, "On the 3rd March 2013, Yu Suzuki said at a Monaco game show, that he wants to crowdfund a new Shenmue 3 game." However, the citation link doesn't seem to be working, so that that with a grain of salt.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Someone help me understand the level of trust folks are placing in Inafune.

I get that Capcom did poorly on the mega man games without him, but what assurances do we have that what he produces will be good? I was less than thrilled with what I saw of MML3 before it got canned, the art direction(especially of female characters) in recent games and of Call makes me nervous, and historically, heavy catering to fan preferences during development has not been a sign of good things to come.

Sorry, but I can't shake memories of Yoshio Sakamoto. Trusting the individual auteur, operating outside a publishing framework that forces sane design decisions, has certainly worked well in the past, but not frequently when the designer grew up within such a publishing house environment. Can we be confident this is gonna be a Psychonauts, and not a Double Fine Adventure? A Braid, not a Metroid Other M? An Alice, not a Bad Day USA?

I want to believe, but I've been hurt so many times before...help me love again, dear thread.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Snix posted:

According to the Shenmue wiki, "On the 3rd March 2013, Yu Suzuki said at a Monaco game show, that he wants to crowdfund a new Shenmue 3 game." However, the citation link doesn't seem to be working, so that that with a grain of salt.

Hmm... I really don't think he could do it justice without a massive budget, but if that's what he wants...

Mark Cerny, one of the major forces behind the PS4 with close ties to vintage Sega, said he wanted to talk to Suzuki about bringing Shenmue to PS4, so I hope that ends up happening.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Discendo Vox posted:

I get that Capcom did poorly on the mega man games without him, but what assurances do we have that what he produces will be good? I was less than thrilled with what I saw of MML3 before it got canned, the art direction(especially of female characters) in recent games and of Call makes me nervous, and historically, heavy catering to fan preferences during development has not been a sign of good things to come.

Sorry, but I can't shake memories of Yoshio Sakamoto. Trusting the individual auteur, operating outside a publishing framework that forces sane design decisions, has certainly worked well in the past, but not frequently when the designer grew up within such a publishing house environment. Can we be confident this is gonna be a Psychonauts, and not a Double Fine Adventure? A Braid, not a Metroid Other M? An Alice, not a Bad Day USA?

I want to believe, but I've been hurt so many times before...help me love again, dear thread.

Read the kickstarter's latest update on the process to build one of the bosses(with his comments) ..and know they will release something like that every Wednesday.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

You do realize what most of his team composes of right? People who worked on Megaman 9/10, Zero, ZX. Hell he got Inti Creates people working with him.

I'm fairly confident that what Infaune wants will come out great. And the difference between him and that hack Sakamoto is he isn't a creep about "what Megaman truly is (that birthmark comment about Samus was pretty creepy). Dude loves the blue bomber and quite frankly considering what the direction he took with games, he's been more hit than miss.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Discendo Vox posted:

Can we be confident this is gonna be a Psychonauts, and not a Double Fine Adventure? A Braid, not a Metroid Other M? An Alice, not a Bad Day USA?

Nope! But that's true with any game made under any circumstance. That's true with any endeavor of any sort.

I want this to be as good a game as Inafune's titles have proven they can be, but I'm willing to risk that it won't.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I usually like my platformers on consoles, but I'm getting this on PC for the inevitable sprite/title screen Megaman reskin.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Some fan art I did I'm hoping Inafune sees and appreciates. :allears:

http://superspacedad.tumblr.com/image/60331201746

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Spacedad posted:

Some fan art I did I'm hoping Inafune sees and appreciates. :allears:

http://superspacedad.tumblr.com/image/60331201746

This is great, I love it.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't it supposed to be INAFKING? I want my money back.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Screaming Idiot posted:

No game Capcom ever makes will reach "CoD numbers."

As a huge Devil May Cry fan, I'm with you brother. :argh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ryoshi posted:

Don't worry, there's another recent one in Asura's Wrath. The back of the box says "FACE INSURMOUNTABLE CHALLENGES" or something like that and "challenges" is spelt wrong. :)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Don't worry, there's another recent one in Asura's Wrath. The back of the box says "FACE INSURMOUNTABLE CHALLENGES" or something like that and "challenges" is spelt wrong. :)

The challenge is spelling, not the actual game. I don't think Asura could win a spelling bee without punching.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Azubah posted:

The challenge is spelling, not the actual game. I don't think Asura could win a spelling bee without punching.

The biggest "chanllenges" with Capcom is that with SquareEnix and the other old school Japanese publishers you have these companies that have a lot of talented people working for them and no one to really manage or refine their work into something truly great. Like the example with FFXIII being made SquareEnix's way without any input from testing or seeing what people might like, or Sega where they spent too many years milking mediocre Sonic games when they could have focused on more interesting stuff.

With Capcom though it's like they had all these franchises that either have small but super dedicated cult followings to this day (Bionic Commando, Strider) as well as super mainstream titles (Devil May Cry, Resident Evil) and instead of letting their creators do whatever with them they scared everyone off and are stuck having the b-teams handle their stuff. They straight up don't have the talent anymore. I love Dragon's Dogma but even Capcom said it was their biggest game ever, that just about everyone that works at Capcom at all was involved with Dragon's Dogma in some way. That kind of undertaking for one game isn't going to do it today. :(

Keiji Inafune leaving and the general mess of Mega Man Legends 3's development (especially the obviously internal pettiness move of canning all upcoming Mega Man games except that freemium iOS one) was the last nail in the coffin after Kamiya, Mikami, etc. They didn't learn in time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

As a huge Devil May Cry fan, I'm with you brother. :argh:

I'll just point out that Inafune was actually the dude responsible for the decisions that got us Ninja Theory DmC. (As well as stuff like Bionic Command and even LP3.) For all that he was responsible for some excellent games, it's worth noting that he was also part of the Capcom machine for a long time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I'll just point out that Inafune was actually the dude responsible for the decisions that got us Ninja Theory DmC. (As well as stuff like Bionic Command and even LP3.) For all that he was responsible for some excellent games, it's worth noting that he was also part of the Capcom machine for a long time.

That motherfucker is dead to me :argh: