Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ungodly
May 8, 2009

Hot dog!

Bluedust posted:

The only thing that really got me from this game was when I found a Leaves of Grass book. I know it's meant to be back in the 90s but I'm sure that was a Breaking Bad callout considering literally any other book could have been used. I laughed.

Spoilers maybe?

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to strengthen your suspicions that the mom was having an affair, cause the book is from Ranger Rick and it's pretty well known for being full of references to sex, the body, and taking pleasure in the material world.

Ungodly fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Re: that - Was the book from Ranger Rick? I thought you find a bookmark inside the book that says "enjoy this book" or whatever but it's not clear if she got that bookmark in a different book he gave her or if it's that one. So it's not clear whether she's thinking of him, or if he's also thinking of her, or if it's just a coincidence because she's reusing a bookmark. Ambiguity!

Ungodly
May 8, 2009

Hot dog!
It's pretty heavily implied that the book and book mark are from Rick. You find it on top of Leaves of Grass, and while Rick may not have MEANT for it to be taken as a sign that he had romantic feelings for her, I think it's supposed to be another piece of the affair chain for the player. http://i.imgur.com/CLhPSXI.jpg

edit: Actually, I see what you're saying now, although I think it's still supposed to be a piece of the affair chain for the player, whether you interpret it as him giving her the book with the book mark, or just her using the bookmark with Leaves of Grass.

Ungodly fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 30, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I thought it was purposefully left ambiguous between the various interpretations but since this itself is an interpretation it's not like there's a way to adjudicate between our varying views.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I thought it was purposefully left ambiguous between the various interpretations but since this itself is an interpretation it's not like there's a way to adjudicate between our varying views.

If you take gameplay mechanics into consideration then it's part of the Mom's affair plot because most/all items in the game advance one plot or another but if you're not getting that meta about things then it could also be Mom's totemistic bookmark that makes her think of Rick. Plots are fun when they're not conclusive, because real life rarely is!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Well, of course it's part of the plot, but it's an ambiguous part of the plot.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I am surprised so many people think the father's story has a positive uptick at the end. To me it seemed like he was starting to go a little bit crazy and then the reprints of the book were exploiting him as a crazy outsider artist. When he tried to get them to publish his newest book he sounded really desperate and I don't think the publishers wanted anything new from him because the books they published originally were as a sort of freak show.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I don't think anybody thinks he's becoming the next Stephen King or whatever, but his novels got reprinted and are finding an audience, his wife is seriously working on recommitting to their marriage, he quit his awful job reviewing AV equipment and is back to writing fiction, overcoming writer's block, and maybe his depression/alcoholism spiral is being broken.

His youngest daughter ran away and his third book probably won't get picked up and his wife still has a job where she has to commute three hours a day, so it's not all sunshine and rainbows, but he's starting to see a way out of a really dark year.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
He also seems to be finally confronting his issues with Oscar molesting him, what with the third book being all about the spy getting sent to save himself instead of Kennedy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Whoa what I must have completely missed that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yodzilla posted:

Whoa what I must have completely missed that.

All the stuff about Dad's fiction, namely the letter from grandpa and the synopsis of the third novel have completely different meanings once you know about the molestation.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
About Oscar (spoilers obviously).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Podcast with Steve Gaynor (one of the devs) that I haven't listened to but which I guess has information about ~~secrets~~!
This was really interesting, I've never listened to that podcast before but that was a good interview. They also give a nice tip of the cap to the This Cage is Worms' writeup on Gone Home. That blog is written by Kunzelman, who is an SA member (I thought the blog name sounded familiar, and then I remembered their posts from the horror games megathread).

I can't get this game out of my head, and that hardly ever happens. I'm going to go through it at least one more time and just try to find everything. On my first playthrough, I planned to check everything out, but I ended up just doing a quick search of the main rooms and telling myself I'd come back later and look over everything, but I ended up getting caught up in it and forgetting.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

About Oscar (spoilers obviously).
This was great, I think the developer gives a shoutout to that one in the podcast as well.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

OatmealRaisin posted:

After playing Gone Home I can't say I'd mind if certain games did away with "gameplay" as we currently know it. Two games I'm thinking of off the top of my head are Walking Dead and Deadly Premonition.

You know what I loved about Deadly Premonition? The town of Greenvale, the whole cast of weird and quirky characters, the little side quests and errands you ran for the townsfolk, and digging into all of the deep dark secrets the town had to offer. You know what I didn't love about Deadly Premonition? The clunky Resident-Evil-4-submerged-in-molasses combat sections. I've always felt that if you took Deadly Premonition, cut out the combat levels, and maybe illustrated the danger of the shadows in a different way to compensate, it would be my dream game.

Have you tried watching the television show Twin Peaks? Deadly Premonition is so heavily based on that show that they had to change a lot of the game to avoid a lawsuit.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Doug Lombardi posted:

Have you tried watching the television show Twin Peaks? Deadly Premonition is so heavily based on that show that they had to change a lot of the game to avoid a lawsuit.
Honestly there's so much of Twin Peaks in Deadly Premonition that if that was a risk, they'd have left themselves wide open. The similarities are outweighed by the differences though (Francis York Morgan monologues like Dale Cooper, but they're very different characters). Obviously if you enjoy one, you'd almost certainly enjoy the other.

With regards to the father's third book - it sounds like he doesn't even need to have it published; it was a very speculative offer he made to the publisher. He was clearly writing it more for his own benefit. I don't see why the new publishers wouldn't have picked it up though, it sounds like the sort of thing they would also print.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I figured that whether or not I was going to like Gone Home, it would be worth 20 bucks to play it without getting to spoiled. It's awesome, although if the whole game was a two hour long lead up to a halloween mask jpg jump scare I would have laughed my rear end off and also loved the game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I finally played through this game last week-end and forgot to post my impressions here. Here goes:

This game owns, people who don't like this game are dinguses.

That is all.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I liked the game but it still has a big problem that stops it from being great: Everything is written down. When I started playing I thought it was neat they had an answering machine so the game wasn't just going to be looking to letters hidden in obtuse places but, then, welp. I mean, it got ridiculous when I started finding diary pages in the wall.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the game, I just found that aspect disappointingly cliche.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 1, 2013

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The entire genre is "people write stuff down/record audio logs inexplicably" and I felt like things were done pretty naturally, given that the diary entries you hear aren't things you find just scattered around but are rather coming from a diary written explicitly for you to explain this stuff, but yeah, I can understand wishing that things were more understated. There's a menu option to turn off diary entries and just explore the house more naturally - that's probably the thing you wish the game had been built around, and I can totally see why you'd want that. Hopefully Gone Home inspires people to make games like that. (In a way, Thirty Flights of Loving is like that, except the pace is breakneck so it's not so much exploration as it is a rollercoaster ride).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Welcome home guys! I loaded the dishwasher for you!

Kitchen interactivity - 5/5

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Nice placement buddy enjoy having to run that at least one more time. :jerkbag:

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
The voiceover work for Sam by Sarah Grayson is some of the best I've seen in a game. Not technically complex, but so perfectly matching the tone of this game.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

tirinal posted:

The voiceover work for Sam by Sarah Grayson is some of the best I've seen in a game. Not technically complex, but so perfectly matching the tone of this game.
You say you like technically complex?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXvFNMtgrsw

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You say you like technically complex?

[...]insect[...]

I'm sure it was more complex than the raw audio recordings the System Shock audio guys had to work with. Stupid Sam, stop speaking with emotion, it's difficult to make you sound like a robot!

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
A weekly review show I like to watch (ABC Australia's Good Game) is reviewing this tonight but I'm yet to play it. Is this the sort of thing where any information should be avoided beforehand or are reviews generally safe?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I went in as blind as possible and I think the game benefited from that. I'd avoid even the slightest possibility of spoilers.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
I think every podcast/interview I've listened to have said "if you haven't played this game yet, stop listening NOW and come back after you've played it".

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Make sure you put your souls in stamina. Christmas duck scales with faith, but there is a soft cap at 40.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I created a timeline of events in the game, to the best of my ability:

http://bit.ly/17zT6Wm (Pretty long so I shortened it.)

It's missing a bunch of stuff, namely with Terry's publishing career. If there's something you have a date for that I should add, just let me know and I will put it in.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

ExtraNoise posted:

It's missing a bunch of stuff, namely with Terry's publishing career. If there's something you have a date for that I should add, just let me know and I will put it in.

I don't have anything to add but thank you for doing this.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I went in as blind as possible and I think the game benefited from that. I'd avoid even the slightest possibility of spoilers.

Same here, I liked the game and I also probably benefited from not knowing. It's kind of become a pet peeve of both LGBT and anti-LGBT-warriors, and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

BlueGrot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 4, 2013

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

ExtraNoise posted:

Nice work! That's really fun to go through. One nitpick, and I wouldn't have noticed this except it was pointed out here, but Jan doesn't actually go to the concert with Rick. The ticket is unripped. It's such a small little detail I wouldn't have ever picked up on it myself.

I took a ton of screenshots so I have a bunch to add if you want. I didn't realize just how many dates and things there were going on until I went through these.

Album with the screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/RkCla

Dates from the screenshots:
December 10, 1965 – Oscar Masan sells his pharmacy to his assistant Samuel Onsteen for a very small amount, speculated to be “as little as one dollar”.
July 20, 1972 – Kate and Sam's mom Janice Elizabeth Connelly Greenbriar becomes a citizen of the United States, naturalizing from Canada.
February 26/28, 1973 – Oscar sends a letter to his sister, Mary Greenbriar (Terry's mother) begging for forgiveness. The letter is returned.
August 13, 1973 – Oscar writes his will.
April 9, 1985 – Sam writes an early version of her “Heaven at the Edge of the World” stories called “The Turtle People: Part 1”. Sam's second grade teacher writes a note to Sam's parents expressing concern over the stories Sam's been writing as well as “other tendencies” she has observed.
December 1, 1992 – Sam writes one of her “Heaven at the Edge of the World” stories titled “The Green Glacier: Part 2”, where the first mate transforms into a female.
October 3-5/6, 1994 – Jan Greenbriar supervises controlled burn of Boon County old growth forest.
October 20, 1994 – Lonnie is suspended for the rest of the day for wearing a Pabst Blue Ribbon shirt to school.
November 24, 1994 – Sam and Lonnie have Thanksgiving dinner at each others' houses.
December 10, 1994 – Sam orders the heart pendant with S+L engraved on it.
February 8, 1995 – Jan is offered position as Regional Conservation Director.
March 26 (?), 1995 – Kate sends postcard from Vatican City.
March 28, 1995 – Unknown Dimension Lit. reaches out to Terry, expressing enthusiasm about wanting to republish his books.
April 10, 1995 – Jan is officially promoted to Regional Conservation Director.
April 21, 1995 – Sam is suspended from April 24-28 for “distributing inappropriate materials on school grounds” (her and Lonnie's zine).
May 10, 1995 – Kate sends a postcard from Barcelona, mentioning she is running low on money and will be coming home soon.
June 2 or 3, 1995 – Sam and Katie's parents leave on an “anniversary trip” (Strong Pines Couples' Counseling Retreat) which is scheduled from June 3-7.
June 4, 1995 – Rick (Jan's coworker's) wedding.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oh and somebody earlier asked who the hell Uncle Harvey was, who the birthday card was from:

I couldn't find anything else about him, but I did find this mention, in the parents' bedroom on one of the VHS tapes:

Looks like he might have been a contestant on Jeopardy!

vv Good idea, here's a screenshot: vv

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 5, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'd also suggest adding Thanksgiving 1963 (Forgot the exact date) and use a picture of Terry's measurements in the basement, considering that's most likely when Oscar molested Terry and he stopped coming to Arbor Hill until 1994. Also probably add the date of Kennedy's assassination too.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Upon finding Journal Entry 24, I poo poo my pants. Its not fair to be both hilarious and terrifying at the same time. Hilarifying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

tirinal posted:

Gone Home is one of the few video games I've played where the voice acting sounds like actual human beings talking and not someone ACTING!!! their lines in Stock Voice Actor Voice #322. Bastion was another.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Nice work! That's really fun to go through. One nitpick, and I wouldn't have noticed this except it was pointed out here, but Jan doesn't actually go to the concert with Rick. The ticket is unripped. It's such a small little detail I wouldn't have ever picked up on it myself.

I took a ton of screenshots so I have a bunch to add if you want. I didn't realize just how many dates and things there were going on until I went through these.

Album with the screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/RkCla

Dates from the screenshots:
December 10, 1965 – Oscar Masan sells his pharmacy to his assistant Samuel Onsteen for a very small amount, speculated to be “as little as one dollar”.
July 20, 1972 – Kate and Sam's mom Janice Elizabeth Connelly Greenbriar becomes a citizen of the United States, naturalizing from Canada.
February 26/28, 1973 – Oscar sends a letter to his sister, Mary Greenbriar (Terry's mother) begging for forgiveness. The letter is returned.
August 13, 1973 – Oscar writes his will.
April 9, 1985 – Sam writes an early version of her “Heaven at the Edge of the World” stories called “The Turtle People: Part 1”. Sam's second grade teacher writes a note to Sam's parents expressing concern over the stories Sam's been writing as well as “other tendencies” she has observed.
December 1, 1992 – Sam writes one of her “Heaven at the Edge of the World” stories titled “The Green Glacier: Part 2”, where the first mate transforms into a female.
October 3-5/6, 1994 – Jan Greenbriar supervises controlled burn of Boon County old growth forest.
October 20, 1994 – Lonnie is suspended for the rest of the day for wearing a Pabst Blue Ribbon shirt to school.
November 24, 1994 – Sam and Lonnie have Thanksgiving dinner at each others' houses.
December 10, 1994 – Sam orders the heart pendant with S+L engraved on it.
February 8, 1995 – Jan is offered position as Regional Conservation Director.
March 26 (?), 1995 – Kate sends postcard from Vatican City.
March 28, 1995 – Unknown Dimension Lit. reaches out to Terry, expressing enthusiasm about wanting to republish his books.
April 10, 1995 – Jan is officially promoted to Regional Conservation Director.
April 21, 1995 – Sam is suspended from April 24-28 for “distributing inappropriate materials on school grounds” (her and Lonnie's zine).
May 10, 1995 – Kate sends a postcard from Barcelona, mentioning she is running low on money and will be coming home soon.
June 2 or 3, 1995 – Sam and Katie's parents leave on an “anniversary trip” (Strong Pines Couples' Counseling Retreat) which is scheduled from June 3-7.
June 4, 1995 – Rick (Jan's coworker's) wedding.

This is all fantastic, thank you so much.

I've updated the timeline with the contributions above and the suggested edits: http://bit.ly/17zT6Wm

A couple of questions to fill in some gaps:

Do we know Sam's date of birth?

Why is there a financial planner for 1968 if Oscar sold the pharmacy in 1965?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just finished the game, but I think I missed a lot of stuff.

I apparently found the key to the attic before I opened up the second half of the downstairs, and never saw anything over there. I assume there's more backstory about Jan and the ranger on that side? That plotline ended kind of abruptly for me.

I also didn't open the safe in the basement, so I missed whatever was there.

Even without having the whole picture, the game is amazing and the story is really touching. I'll definitely go back and play through again when I have time.

Edit: Couldn't resist. Went back and opened up the stuff I missed. It definitely filled in most of the story.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 6, 2013

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I hate horror movies and games and I was on the edge of my chair ready to see something terrible until finally I ran through the final room of the house to see that yes, the coast was clear, and no, nothing was going to pop out at me. I'm sort of confused why they took this approach. It's really strange to have such a touching love story framed within such a scary environment and intertwined with such terrible stories the other family members endure. Does anyone have guesses to their thought process behind this?

Also, can anyone tell me what the 24th journal entry is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

They framed it that way because it helps draw you into an environment and makes feel like you're actually there, which helps pave the way for you to connect personally to the various stories present in the house.

It's not a horror game, but as somebody else in this thread mentioned, it's an excellent spooky basement simulator.

• Locked thread