Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

withak posted:

I don't know WTF sideload is, but if you have a problem with a beta then you should submit it as a bug through your dev account.

Sideload = Love handles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Wasn't sure where to post this but using the facebook app on iphone 4S (if that even matters.) And within the last week I have been getting sporadic push notifications about activity that I never used to get before and if I go to facebook's web page they don't show up as notifications under the notification drop down menu. Anyone know what might be causing this? The app is up to date.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 2, 2013

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Wasn't sure where to post this but using the facebook app on iphone 4S (if that even matters.) And within the last week I have been getting sporadic push notifications about activity that I never used to get before and if I go to facebook's web page they don't show up as notifications under the notification drop down menu. Anyone know what might be causing this? The app is up to date.

I get that periodically as well, and there's nothing to do about it. It happens because the facebook app is poo poo.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Facebook has used some unknown metric to decide that a few of your fscebook friends matter a lot to you and has subscribed you to everything they do.

I get push notifications every time one dude I haven't talked to since high school edits a status.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I never got badges on the Facebook app denoting people liking any of my stuff before...oh, I guess it was the most recent update. I like it because it never used to alert me to that stuff in any way and I'd just end up seeing it lumped in my notifications along with other sorts of activity :shobon:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jack Gladney posted:

I get that periodically as well, and there's nothing to do about it. It happens because the facebook app is poo poo.

Change the notification settings in the App. Facebook is an evil bastard.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I never got badges on the Facebook app denoting people liking any of my stuff before...oh, I guess it was the most recent update. I like it because it never used to alert me to that stuff in any way and I'd just end up seeing it lumped in my notifications along with other sorts of activity :shobon:

It's been this way for me forever. Like notifications may not show up without an actual notification though (someone comments, etc), and they took any kind of sound to those notifications over a year ago too. My friend showed me that if you add someone to your "Close friend" group, you get a notification anytime they do anything on FB.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
For any RSS users, the new version of Reeder for iOS has finally been submitted to the Store! I tried to like Mr. Reader on the iPad but I really dislike it, so fingers crossed Reeder gets approved soon.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Posted this in the other iOS threads,So is there a chance I'm getting a false positive with avast ? I can download any app fine save for Hungry Shark Evolution. When I try, I get this message from avast:
URL: http://a1914.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/0...
Process: C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe
Infection: Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]

Scanned and everything is clean. Any other app I can download fine save for Hungry Shark.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Magic Mango posted:

For any RSS users, the new version of Reeder for iOS has finally been submitted to the Store! I tried to like Mr. Reader on the iPad but I really dislike it, so fingers crossed Reeder gets approved soon.

Does Reeder support Feedly yet?

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Does Reeder support Feedly yet?

It does, but I can't vouch for it because I use Feedbin with it (which works flawlessly). The current version of Reeder for iPhone is free right now because the new version will be universal and a paid upgrade, so there's no harm in giving it a go.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The current (old) version of Reeder works fine with Feedly, though I have only used it a handful of times because the latest version of the Feedly app itself is fine for what I need.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
In case anyone is looking for a SNES emulator, there's an app called "Remote File Manager" that plays SNES ROMs. It'll probably be removed from the App Store soon so you might wanna grab it now if you're interested.

e: info here: http://lph0ne.blogspot.com/2013/09/snes-emulator-for-iphone-and-ipad.html?spref=tw

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aero is a fantastic weather app, if only for the reason that it displays the current temp via a badge, so if it's 70*F, the badge says "70".

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Other apps can do this, I've used the app Celsius (people in America may want its counterpart Fahrenheit) which displays it as a badge and also the app's features itself aren't too shabby.

The only problem is if you live in a place where it goes into the negatives, since badges cannot be less than 1.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
So loving Google Authenticator 2.0 deletes the services you previously had configured, and starts like the app was installed from scratch.

:ughh:

Don't update if you use 2FA anywhere. And don't use it anymore - switch to Authy.

This is a company that expects us to trust them as a primary federated login provider.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Lexicon posted:

So loving Google Authenticator 2.0 deletes the services you previously had configured, and starts like the app was installed from scratch.

:ughh:

Don't update if you use 2FA anywhere. And don't use it anymore - switch to Authy.

This is a company that expects us to trust them as a primary federated login provider.

Yeah it was a little annoying, didn't take too long to set it back up though.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

Yeah it was a little annoying, didn't take too long to set it back up though.

I was mostly annoyed by the very large potential downside risk of their irresponsibility. If you were midway through swapping machines or had just suffered a data loss or something, that could have been a big deal. Must've happened to some users across the 2FA userbase.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lexicon posted:

I was mostly annoyed by the very large potential downside risk of their irresponsibility. If you were midway through swapping machines or had just suffered a data loss or something, that could have been a big deal. Must've happened to some users across the 2FA userbase.

Good point. BTW what is Authy?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's a 3rd party app that works exactly like the Google Authenticator app. I use it for my services. Love the interface, works great, and they even have an option to back up your tokens with a password if you're paranoid about losing your device and being locked out of all your services.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

PaganGoatPants posted:

Good point. BTW what is Authy?

Looks like an app that handles 2FA for a bunch of services and ostensibly wouldn't gently caress up like Google just did.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

slogsdon posted:

Looks like an app that handles 2FA for a bunch of services and ostensibly wouldn't gently caress up like Google just did.

That's their whole business, so presumably they've thought it through a bit more than one of Google's thousands of side efforts. Plus, they have a good reputation on the twitter... and got a lot of petulant endorsements this morning when the whole Google thing happened.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Lexicon posted:

That's their whole business, so presumably they've thought it through a bit more than one of Google's thousands of side efforts. Plus, they have a good reputation on the twitter... and got a lot of petulant endorsements this morning when the whole Google thing happened.

That's what I mean when I said they wouldn't cock it up like google since it's the entire reason they exist.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

slogsdon posted:

That's what I mean when I said they wouldn't cock it up like google since it's the entire reason they exist.

Yeah, I didn't quite mentally parse what you wrote and then proceeded to write, like, the exact same message :)

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Lexicon posted:

switch to Authy.

Wow, this looks fantastic. Thanks for the heads up.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

vtlock posted:

Wow, this looks fantastic. Thanks for the heads up.

No worries. I'd think carefully about storing your tokens with them though... I'm not going to. Doing so essentially reduces 2-factor-authentication from "something you know and something you have" to "two things you know".

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Authy works with Amazon? Guess it's time to try it out.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Anyone know how to/if you can upload a folder hierarchy into an app like VLC?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That new Google Authenticator app doesn't put what service the code is for next to it, that's dumb as hell. I have google + dropbox and the only way I can tell which is which is the order. Gonna try Authy.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

priznat posted:

That new Google Authenticator app doesn't put what service the code is for next to it, that's dumb as hell. I have google + dropbox and the only way I can tell which is which is the order. Gonna try Authy.

Authy is great. I'm using it for everything now and it works perfect. Plus I can use it on my Mac too.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent free pinball app? I have found a few that give you a free table with the option to purchase others but most claim to be free when the are just free for a few plays before they lock you out.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

evilwaldo posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent free pinball app? I have found a few that give you a free table with the option to purchase others but most claim to be free when the are just free for a few plays before they lock you out.

Some of the ones by Gameprom drop to free pretty often and the gameplay and graphics are good. Get the AppShopper app and set an alert. That's how I've gotten like 4 of theirs so far.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

evilwaldo posted:

There's one called "Age of Pinballs" that has a number of free tables. You can pay for stupid things like extra balls and score multipliers. I see now that there's a "pro" version though; not sure what that's all about.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zen Pinball is pretty good, you get one table for free and the game itself is fun to play. IAP is getting additional tables.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

the kawaiiest posted:

Authy is great. I'm using it for everything now and it works perfect. Plus I can use it on my Mac too.

Agreed! It is very slick, so long google authenticate! I like their new "card" look but it was a little TOO spartan.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

DarkJC posted:

It's a 3rd party app that works exactly like the Google Authenticator app. I use it for my services. Love the interface, works great, and they even have an option to back up your tokens with a password if you're paranoid about losing your device and being locked out of all your services.

Who are these people???
Why would I trust them with my most valuable online data?
No thanks.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

caboodle posted:

Who are these people???
Why would I trust them with my most valuable online data?
No thanks.

They can't see your data. You can back it up to their servers (encrypted) if you want, but it's optional and off by default. And it's just a token generator for two factor authentication anyway, it's not like they have your passwords or anything like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even if they did hoover up all your data and lock it away for future perusal, that's not any worse than what everyone else is doing. Everyone is gathering data on you, all the time. If a small time developer is freaking you out, companies like Google or Facebook or Microsoft should have had you wearing tinfoil years ago.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009
Yeah but Google have my data because I use their email service, why spread my data out to more and more people.
Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

caboodle posted:

Yeah but Google have my data because I use their email service, why spread my data out to more and more people.
Nope.
They don't have access your account information.

• Locked thread