Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

lotus circle posted:

I doubt Aranea would be able to control any of the kids if HIC can't, but time will tell I suppose.
If anything lets Aranea bend the rules here, it's the empathy she claimed at the rot of her powers. Being able to listen and understand people, even alien people, may go a long way in attempting to manipulate them.

On the other hand, if she flat out read minds she'd notice something was up with Damara (probably all of them) long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm guessing Aranea notices the symbol on Jane's tiara, puts her to sleep, and nabs it. That gets )-(IC's attention, and poo poo goes south from there.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Man, Hussies been making a lot of art mistakes lately, hasn't he? He forgot Gamzee's scars, he forgot to change Aranea's sprite to have living eyes and now he's forgotten to show the ring being on her finger in this update.

The Big Man's getting sloppy.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Man, Hussies been making a lot of art mistakes lately, hasn't he? He forgot Gamzee's scars, he forgot to change Aranea's sprite to have living eyes and now he's forgotten to show the ring being on her finger in this update.

It reminds me of early Act 5 when he would constantly forget to draw horns on the trolls. :allears:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Doesn't he already have an excuse for all these 'glitches'/

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Cabbit posted:

I'm guessing Aranea notices the symbol on Jane's tiara, puts her to sleep, and nabs it. That gets )-(IC's attention, and poo poo goes south from there.

She'll probably be immune to Scorpio powers due to the tiara or some kind of handwavy easy write-off.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Bongo Bill posted:

John isn't even limited to canon. He can enter works of fiction; he was literally inside Con Air. Nowhere in Homestuck is barred to him.

What are you talking about? That's Johnny, Cameron Poe's scrappy teen sidekick, who assists the gold-hearted ex-con using his trusty hammer and his mysterious knowledge of what's about to happen. I'll admit Johnny's not the most popular character (I don't think the actor ever got another part) but c'mon, he's always been there.

Right?

:tinfoil:

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
This has been the best series of updates for me. :allears:

I almost kind of want an avatar of the DRAMATIC FISH LIPS.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Jesus Christ Karkat, that's kind of brutal even if you do need to eat. :stare:

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Those hummingbirds had it coming.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Boneless Jogger posted:

Those hummingbirds had it coming.

Shame all the tinkerbulls got left behind when they started the session. Bet those guys are good eating.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Action Shakespeare posted:

This has been the best series of updates for me. :allears:

I almost kind of want an avatar of the DRAMATIC FISH LIPS.
Not really sure if it came out any decent, but:

let me tell ya about homestuck

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Seoinin posted:

The most satisfying resolution to Vriska's arc would to be for her to open one of those hipster bistros where the waitstaff is allowed & encouraged to be openly aggro towards the patrons as part of the ~*experience*~. Act 7 will be the pilot for a sitcom based on this premise.

The launching point for Homestuck: The Animated Series that we've all been waiting for.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hremsfeld posted:

Not really sure if it came out any decent, but:

let me tell ya about homestuck

I think you mean

let me shell ya bout homestuck

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Karkat asking why no one ever thought to just call the ghosts is pretty funny. It's true, I didn't think anything of it when Meenah phoned now-alive Aranea, but apparently the ghosts are pesterable?

I'm guessing Hussie just made it so for plot convenience, but drat, that kinda opens up a lot of possibilities.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read

Dolash posted:

Karkat asking why no one ever thought to just call the ghosts is pretty funny. It's true, I didn't think anything of it when Meenah phoned now-alive Aranea, but apparently the ghosts are pesterable?

I'm guessing Hussie just made it so for plot convenience, but drat, that kinda opens up a lot of possibilities.

Well, there is precedence: Aradia was able to communicate and poo poo when she was dead, and the Trolls were able to communicate with the kids even before they managed to enter the session.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Filthy Haiku posted:

Jesus Christ Karkat, that's kind of brutal even if you do need to eat. :stare:

I thought it was kinda cute, Karkat all sittin' by the campfire, cookin' up a meal.

Besides, maybe hummingbirds are like troll marshmallows or something. :shobon:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bell_ posted:

Well, there is precedence: Aradia was able to communicate and poo poo when she was dead, and the Trolls were able to communicate with the kids even before they managed to enter the session.

But Aradia was actually a ghost haunting the world of the living, rather than being in a dream bubble - she interacted with a computer in the real world in order to pester Sollux and the others. The Trolls were alive, too, it just seemed that Sburb had computers that let you communicate across universes. Considering the dream bubbles are made up of people's memories, it's strange that their memory of devices that let them communicate across universes is enough to let them communicate across universes. Maybe no one thought to try. But then it looks like the Damaras still in the dream bubbles can use their telekinesis to move something in the real world, so who even knows?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dolash posted:

But Aradia was actually a ghost haunting the world of the living, rather than being in a dream bubble - she interacted with a computer in the real world in order to pester Sollux and the others. The Trolls were alive, too, it just seemed that Sburb had computers that let you communicate across universes. Considering the dream bubbles are made up of people's memories, it's strange that their memory of devices that let them communicate across universes is enough to let them communicate across universes. Maybe no one thought to try. But then it looks like the Damaras still in the dream bubbles can use their telekinesis to move something in the real world, so who even knows?

Well, the horrorterrors do have all those servers in the furthest ring...

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dolash posted:

It seems to be because Meenah and Aranea actually had phones to chat with others. I'm sure Vriska could be ringing up the living any chance she could if she had access to a computer or phone to do so.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

I will never miss this five dollars.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I love that every update is just a "Vriska/Serket is fat" joke.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
^ e: God drat it.

The problem is significant in size? I guess Arenea shares Vriska's girth.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Close-ups on mouths have apparently become a running gag now.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
This is even more zoomed in than the last time we saw Jane. At this rate, we'll be looking at the space between the tongue and those two front teeth by sometime in mid-October.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wyld Karde posted:

Update! Jane looks pissed.

Edit: Oh gods, this is going to end up as Aranea vs HIC in a mind control tug of war, with poor Jane as the rope. :ohdear:

HIC cannot control Jane without the brainwashing device in her headband. Troll powers of mind control do not work on humans, they just make them fall asleep. They do work on trolls, though, and both HIC and Aranea are trolls. So #1 if Aranea wants to control Jane, she has to control the Condesce first. And #2 if the Condesce wants to prevent Aranea from loving up her plans, she can simply control her. The expected result of #1+#2.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
I don't think HIC just got punked like the wicked witch of the east. I think.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
The fact that HIC drove Jade grimbark suggests she does have some power over humans. Maybe it's via Jade's Bec and/or Sprite aspects, or maybe it's just something she can do that the Serkets can't. Jane was already semi-brainwashed from use of crockercorp products back when she was still on Earth, so it's possible it was just easier to let the tiaratop finish the job.

Ugh, too many variables for meaningful speculation.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wyld Karde posted:

The fact that HIC drove Jade grimbark suggests she does have some power over humans. Maybe it's via Jade's Bec and/or Sprite aspects, or maybe it's just something she can do that the Serkets can't. Jane was already semi-brainwashed from use of crockercorp products back when she was still on Earth, so it's possible it was just easier to let the tiaratop finish the job.

Ugh, too many variables for meaningful speculation.

It is via Bec's aspect. The Taurus symbol appeared when she took control, which represents Tavros' power of animal communion.

Also, Aranea will never be able to mind control HIC because fuschia bloods are immune to psychic powers.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Also, Aranea will never be able to mind control HIC because fuschia bloods are immune to psychic powers.

Weren't there any mind-controlled alt-Feferi/Meenah in the ghost navy? Also Aranea is boasting about being immensely more powerful than normal, what with having had eons to practice. She claims she can heal a doomed timeline and make it the alpha, and that seems a whole order of magnitude harder to do than controlling a supposedly-immune troll. (Of course, she could be full of it. Probably is. If anyone is able to prevent a doomed timeline from dying, it'll be Karkat: going with the organism analogy, taking cells which should have died and making them grow to replace the normal organism is some sort of monstrous cosmological cancer.)

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read

Cat Mattress posted:

Weren't there any mind-controlled alt-Feferi/Meenah in the ghost navy? Also Aranea is boasting about being immensely more powerful than normal, what with having had eons to practice. She claims she can heal a doomed timeline and make it the alpha, and that seems a whole order of magnitude harder to do than controlling a supposedly-immune troll. (Of course, she could be full of it. Probably is. If anyone is able to prevent a doomed timeline from dying, it'll be Karkat: going with the organism analogy, taking cells which should have died and making them grow to replace the normal organism is some sort of monstrous cosmological cancer.)
No Feferis were mind controlled that I recall. And frankly psychic immunity is the best reason HIC has for surviving the vast glub. Aranea knows How Meenah thinks and may set her self up to be HIC's thug buddy without telling her about the Serket agenda.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
She said she had eons to hone her abilities as a Sylph of Light, not her power of mind control. She never even used that until it was time to feed Lord English. Also were the "rules" about who was and wasn't controllable ever actually laid out? Higher blood castes are immune? Stronger-willed trolls? Something else?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I wouldn't rule out Aranea being able to overpower )(IC's mind control simply by the merit of the Empress gave herself the ability in a freaky lab experiment and Aranea having an army of troll ghosts to overwhelm her. Jade and Jane will probably have one hell of a migraine in the process though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm sure, given the resources available to her, Aranea could cook something up. Just escalate when things don't work:

- Mind control a thousand doomed timeline Vriskas to overpower HIC.
- If Vriska is immune to mind control: mind control a thousand Equiuses to control the thousands Vriskas' robo arms and deliver slaps until she cooperates.
- If Equius is immune to mind control, mind control a thousand Aradia bots to flirt with the Equiuses and get him to harass the Vriska.

Etc.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
Aranea might just employ a Damara or thousand to just levitate the tiara away from Jane (and from Condy too, even if it might do fuckall)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

God I love that scowling mouth. Hope she keeps doin' it after she goes back to normal.

Also poor Karkat. As a non god-tier I bet he's the only one who remembers he has to eat and alchemize clean clothes every now and then. (Well there's Terezi and Kanaya too but those two are special in their own ways)

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

It is via Bec's aspect. The Taurus symbol appeared when she took control, which represents Tavros' power of animal communion.

The combination of the symbols when she took control is what makes it so ambiguous to people. Also, people thought that a lot of people were immune to psychic powers, but look where we are now!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm not sure if the closeups on Jane's mouth are uncomfortable or hilarious. Maybe a little of both? But I like how Jane is so dead serious when Jade is still just Jade.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Action Shakespeare posted:

The combination of the symbols when she took control is what makes it so ambiguous to people. Also, people thought that a lot of people were immune to psychic powers, but look where we are now!
It's pretty obvious how )(IC was controlling Jade. She was using the Serket powers to put the human half of Jade's mind to sleep, and simultaneously she was controlling the dog half of Jade's mind.

Now that Jade has exhibited more autonomy, I'm not entirely sure how it's working right now. I doubt )(IC is still directly controlling her, but she still probably has part of Jade's normal human psyche sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

frozentreasure posted:

She said she had eons to hone her abilities as a Sylph of Light, not her power of mind control. She never even used that until it was time to feed Lord English. Also were the "rules" about who was and wasn't controllable ever actually laid out? Higher blood castes are immune? Stronger-willed trolls? Something else?

Mind control only works on lower castes. Vriska, for example, explicitly couldn't mind control Equius, and I'm almost positive it was stated that the Vast Glub would affect low-bloods faster than high-bloods.

The fact that Aranea can mind control Gamzee is a big loving deal. Her mind control symbol was a lot brighter than the ones we've seen previously, for that matter.