Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Sons of Trigon is up on Steam :toot:

Looks like everything in it is for CR80+ except the power set, though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Huzzah for Legendary. Gonna whip up a Celestial character tomorrow when I get home. I bet all the good names will already be gone.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wow, the 'community' in this game is an elitist cesspool. I feel dirty wading through the forums.

I originally dived in to see if I cold figure out why one dude was shouting for cr98 people all night for his raid. Why would you need to do that hen there's the on duty interface and you can just queue up for one?

Apparently it's because people only want you in their raid if you already have gear drops from that raid, and that's totally not a circular catch-22. :psyduck:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm gonna give you a huge tip: queue up for the group finder, but most of the time? It's a shitload faster to just stand on the Watchtower/Hall of Doom for 10-20 minutes going "Need (roles) for (event)" and you'll gather a crew FAST.

Sometimes crazy overleveled ones, too! I don't get it either, but it's worked for me every time.

In fact, since I think you said you usually play Hero-side: toss "Billy Jeans" under your friends, drop me a line anytime you see me on, we'll pair up and I'll do whatever.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 5, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yeah, no, I get that, what I meant is I am getting terrible WoW GearScore-era vibes. "We don't want you in this cr60 raid unless you're in cr75 gear" type ones.

Of course since coming back I've only made it to 19 so maybe I'm letting my previous MMO experience bring out the paranoid in me. :tinfoil:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, no, I get that, what I meant is I am getting terrible WoW GearScore-era vibes. "We don't want you in this cr60 raid unless you're in cr75 gear" type ones.

Of course since coming back I've only made it to 19 so maybe I'm letting my previous MMO experience bring out the paranoid in me. :tinfoil:

These people are in every MMO, really. Also I would say a lot of raid content only becomes truly possible when the average CR of the group is well above the minimum allowed, which is before we get into speed-running. A lot of it especially seems predicated on having a really high-level DPS to get it done with the most ease.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm finally getting around to installing this on my new computer, since I'm in the mood to try and get some enjoyment out of lightning crime on fire while surviving more than a dirty look sent my way.

I miss Brutes trying to hold aggro and living while having actually relevant damage numbers, and Fire seems to advertise A) lighting things on fire, B) healing myself and tanking. So hopefully smashing purse snatchers in the face with a giant hammer before incinerating them works out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Wow, the 'community' in this game is an elitist cesspool. I feel dirty wading through the forums.

I originally dived in to see if I cold figure out why one dude was shouting for cr98 people all night for his raid. Why would you need to do that hen there's the on duty interface and you can just queue up for one?

Apparently it's because people only want you in their raid if you already have gear drops from that raid, and that's totally not a circular catch-22. :psyduck:

This game has one of the absolute worst, "gently caress you, got mine," communities in gaming. There are actually people that defend the devs for removing popular styles from merchants and shoving them in the piece of poo poo Vault, saying that certain appearances should be more challenging to get, because back when THEY were playing through low level poo poo it actually meant something to have enough Marks of MacGuffin to buy the thing. :rolleyes:

The community is all about special snowflake-hood. Literally 90% of the people playing high level stuff are the purified scum that has been filtered down over the years. It's awful, and is one of, if not the, worst parts of this game. :smith:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Section Z posted:

I'm finally getting around to installing this on my new computer, since I'm in the mood to try and get some enjoyment out of lightning crime on fire while surviving more than a dirty look sent my way.

I miss Brutes trying to hold aggro and living while having actually relevant damage numbers, and Fire seems to advertise A) lighting things on fire, B) healing myself and tanking. So hopefully smashing purse snatchers in the face with a giant hammer before incinerating them works out.

Fire uses alot of power, so you may want to go with a fast weapon so you can generate power faster.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Whenever I have an urge to play or subscribe again, I just load up the official forums, read a few posts and it all fades away. I don't know what it is about the game that attracts the worst of the worst.

Though if what people are saying is true about KEEPING EVERY DLC RELEASED SO FAR, FOREVER even after your subscription lapses, I'd totally plunk down $15 to take advantage of that. Y'all better not be lying though. :mad:

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Fuzz posted:

There are actually people that defend the devs for removing popular styles from merchants and shoving them in the piece of poo poo Vault, saying that certain appearances should be more challenging to get, because back when THEY were playing through low level poo poo it actually meant something to have enough Marks of MacGuffin to buy the thing. :rolleyes:

I know, right?

(it is kinda fun having everyone be jealous of my gunslinger coat but it's still maximum bullshit)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

jjac posted:

Though if what people are saying is true about KEEPING EVERY DLC RELEASED SO FAR, FOREVER even after your subscription lapses, I'd totally plunk down $15 to take advantage of that. Y'all better not be lying though. :mad:

I don't think this works, although you can definitely just buy the DLC separately for $10/pop and kep them forever as 'premium'.

e: If only that it would be a really bad option for Sony money-wise. Spend $40+ on DLC? Or spend $15 one time and unlock all that DLC forever?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 5, 2013

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
I haven't touched this game in a while due to GW2 and the Steam sale.

You guys are right about the community but ultimately I would just lie all the time about my CR. As long as you hit the minimum you should fly under the radar. I don't know if they can tell you exact CR but most people just look at the ability to queue up and just use that as an indicator. Outside of lying I just created groups myself and they seemed to go over pretty smoothly (most of the time). Regardless you don't need a CR70 full raid for a CR60 raid ever and the community is pretty crappy.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Does it matter what faction you are for the look of celestial powers?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
I started playing on PS3 (in the run up to buying a PS4) since there's a larger playerbase so there's more crap players to beat up and a more level playing field with all using pads.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So I guess the 3AM downtime turned into all-day downtime? My client hangs at server validation. :eng99:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, they're the worst. Shortly after The Last Laugh, I hit 30 on I forget which character. I was in Gotham, and someone was asking if anyone wanted to do Sub Avatar. I said I'd join, and also that I'd never done it before. They invited me to the team, I said thanks, again said that I'd never done it before, so that the rest of the team would know, and was promptly kicked from the team.

tl;dr: Don't play this game with any of the pubbies, because they're all jackassholes. Play with friends and/or goons.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WarLocke posted:

So I guess the 3AM downtime turned into all-day downtime? My client hangs at server validation. :eng99:

Go troll the official forums about it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

@
I was just playing?

How many Hero PC people are there? I made Quantum and Celestial characters, both on Villain because most goons are there.

Quantum guy is Motherfluxer.

Celestial is Miss Muriel.

If any of you want to friend me, the other characters I actually play are Electric Slide, Farging Icehole, and Bow Derek. All villains.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Is there a limit to the number of missions you can have in your journal, or can you otherwise 'out-level' stuff? I'm asking because I started a Light character and am thinking I might just fly around grabbing investigations, briefs,, collections and doing races and junk before doing ANY missions. Stack the deck a little with a few levels and skill points.

Anyway I basically have two heroes right now, Baryon Boy (Quantum/Hand Blaster/Flight) and now Inol Aran (Hard Light/Staff/Flight):

e: I've been using these maps for collectibles, they seem pretty spot-on.

e2: And the green construct weapon pack is awesome, pulling a staff out of thin air makes sense and going between it and claws and whatever else is :circlefap:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 6, 2013

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Argh. Normally the first time I do an alert/raid I do the whole thing and then go back and get all the investigations/briefings after we finish so I'm not allowing the group down. But I did that with the Star Labs T2 one and it turns out it locks you out of the opening room one you leave, where there are (hopefully) the rest of the tokens. Lame. Oh well, it's not like it was a slog to do.

Also Warlocke and I were on the Goonsquad chat channel the last two nights, so it's not completely dead if you guys wanna give it another shot (so everyone doesn't have to friend everyone's alt's and rely on league chat).

mastajake fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 6, 2013

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Holy CRAP the construct combos thing with Light is ridiculous at low levels. I just tear through poo poo. Claw, claw, claw, claw, minigun, staff combo, spikes, claw claw claw.... :black101:

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah, light pretty much owns. It's great DPS

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

Holy CRAP the construct combos thing with Light is ridiculous at low levels. I just tear through poo poo. Claw, claw, claw, claw, minigun, staff combo, spikes, claw claw claw.... :black101:

Celestial does the same thing, except with Healing. :psyduck:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Celestial does the same thing, except with Healing. :psyduck:

I would buy SoT but hell if I could come up with a character for Celestial that isn't some sort of fallen angel cliche thing. At least with Light you have the Lantern Corps right there ready for you and it works in concept because there's a poo poo ton of lanterns all over anyway.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

I would buy SoT but hell if I could come up with a character for Celestial that isn't some sort of fallen angel cliche thing. At least with Light you have the Lantern Corps right there ready for you and it works in concept because there's a poo poo ton of lanterns all over anyway.

My gal is an acrobatics thug... I see her as some chick that sold her soul to Demons for power.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I would buy SoT but hell if I could come up with a character for Celestial that isn't some sort of fallen angel cliche thing.

Looking up some video clips, you could probably pull off some Silver Age goofball like the Dazzler. Super Speed for movement, and then you just need some roller-blades!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WarLocke posted:

Have you figured out the chains yet? When I realized how to do that I freaked right the hell out.

Also, as far as the channel, anyone know if it is cross faction?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

tallian posted:

Have you figured out the chains yet? When I realized how to do that I freaked right the hell out.

I don't have enough powers yet I don't think, all I can do right now is Claws->Ram and Claws->Minigun. Apparently you can do infinite combos with the right powers, which is :aaaaa: so I guess I should stat for Precision. The only other power I have (I'm 8) is Spike Trap but I don't think it can be comboed.

e: At least according to the Light guides I can find, the initial power goes off of Might but anything you combo into gets its damage based on Precision.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 6, 2013

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WarLocke posted:

I don't have enough powers yet I don't think, all I can do right now is Claws->Ram and Claws->Minigun. Apparently you can do infinite combos with the right powers, which is :aaaaa: so I guess I should stat for Precision. The only other power I have (I'm 8) is Spike Trap but I don't think it can be comboed.

e: At least according to the Light guides I can find, the initial power goes off of Might but anything you combo into gets its damage based on Precision.

You get chains by going minigun -> spam attack, at least with martial arts.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

tallian posted:

You get chains by going minigun -> spam attack, at least with martial arts.

I thought for Light the powers chained from one to another? Like Claws ca go to either Ram or Minigun, then Ram can go to either Whip Thrash or Snap Trap, then Snap Trap goes to X or Y, etc... ?

Also, I really need to figure out this R&D stuff:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WarLocke posted:

I thought for Light the powers chained from one to another? Like Claws ca go to either Ram or Minigun, then Ram can go to either Whip Thrash or Snap Trap, then Snap Trap goes to X or Y, etc... ?

I got the chain spam on accident, and its what made me go look into the combos. I was fighting some random overworld thugs, popped minigun and someone ignored the knockback so I started spamming attack and got chains.

I responded with 'What the hell was that awesomeness!'

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

WarLocke posted:

In all seriousness: unless you plan to become A PvP OVERLORD or something, you can get by on minimal crafting beyond exobytes, even at Lv30. A lot of consumables are just "stronger cola" or "3-9 things which you throw at people to gently caress with them". You'll start getting recipes that use them around Lv30 but overall, if you need the space, sell the beast horns/metagene solutions/etc. unless you find a thing that needs them specifically. It's not particularly hard to build up a new stock of them should you ever be short.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

tallian posted:

Also, as far as the channel, anyone know if it is cross faction?

The channel is most certainly cross faction, as I've been playing villain and Warlocke has been playing hero.

And I've been doing the convoluted infinite combo I mentioned earlier for hard light and I'm loving it: Claws-Ram-Chains-Hand Clap-Chainsaw-Ram-Snap Trap-Fan-Claws-repeat. Today I was also experimenting with substituting Minigun in for the first Ram (since they combo to the same constructs) but it's risky since it's interruptable. It's fun as all get out :-/ just because of how convoluted it is.

In order to get all the powers for it I had to sacrifice group shielding which might be a deal breaker for some of you thinking of it. In that case just do Claws-Ram-Snap Trap-Fan-Claws or Chainsaw-Ram-Chains-Hand Clap-Chainsaw or something.

Any good build ideas this far for Celestial? I just started a character and an currently looking into one of the builds I saw off Google/the official forums, but would like some goon input. Especially if it less to something as amazing as my current hard light set-up.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mastajake posted:

Any good build ideas this far for Celestial? I just started a character and an currently looking into one of the builds I saw off Google/the official forums, but would like some goon input. Especially if it less to something as amazing as my current hard light set-up.

The only thing I know about Celestial is that apparently its combo system doesn't work like Light's. Instead each tree has one power that corresponds to a power in the other tree (the layouts are identical, so the top-right power in one tree corresponds to the top-right in the other one, etc - supercharges excepted) And those two can combo off of each other. For example, if you have Power A and Power B you can cast Power A and combo into B, or you can cast B and combo into A. But there's no long or infinite combos like Light - it's strictly 2-step combos.

Now for my greedy side: I've seen a water-type body/skin and players with auras, neither of which appears to be on the market. Are they Promethium drops or something? I really want a green aura for my lantern :eng99:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

WarLocke posted:

The only thing I know about Celestial is that apparently its combo system doesn't work like Light's. Instead each tree has one power that corresponds to a power in the other tree (the layouts are identical, so the top-right power in one tree corresponds to the top-right in the other one, etc - supercharges excepted) And those two can combo off of each other. For example, if you have Power A and Power B you can cast Power A and combo into B, or you can cast B and combo into A. But there's no long or infinite combos like Light - it's strictly 2-step combos.

Now for my greedy side: I've seen a water-type body/skin and players with auras, neither of which appears to be on the market. Are they Promethium drops or something? I really want a green aura for my lantern :eng99:

They're available in Promethium Lockboxes, so........sorry. But there's no green aura anyway.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

WarLocke posted:

Is the BODY water, or is it water-like on the pieces itself? If it's the latter, that's the summer event style.

Also auras are now tradable, so look on the auction house every once in a while and see if someone's got one for sale.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

mastajake posted:

They're available in Promethium Lockboxes, so........sorry. But there's no green aura anyway.

I could swear I've seen green auras, are you sure?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

And I definitely see auras on the AH all the time. They just sell for 50k or more, so are out of reach if you are not a subscriber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I have a Light Hero now, too, name is The Slacketeer if any of you play USPC Hero.

• Locked thread