Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Jedit posted:

Why do people keep saying "that's not as subtle as this really subtle thing :smuggo:", then not tell us what is subtle about it?

Yeah I'm not seeing it either. What is it we should be looking for?

http://simonpegg.net/2013/07/10/the-worlds-end-the-mermaid/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

apsouthern posted:

Yeah I'm not seeing it either. What is it we should be looking for?

http://simonpegg.net/2013/07/10/the-worlds-end-the-mermaid/

The mermaids look like the women they fancied?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So they've got the same significance as the Sirens in 'O Brother Where Art Thou'? Dangerous Women

parque bynch
Mar 12, 2004

R.I.P. Side-Scrolling Link: we hardly knew ye...

Jedit posted:

Why do people keep saying "that's not as subtle as this really subtle thing :smuggo:", then not tell us what is subtle about it?

I was on my iPhone at the time and didn't want to mess up the spoilers. Edgar Wright posted these lovely images of the bar signs on his blog.

http://www.edgarwrighthere.com/2013/08/24/the-12-pubs-of-the-golden-mile/

As you can see from the sign for The Mermaid, it isn't just the idea of mermaids as sirens, but also the hair color of the three mermaids. A red head between two blondes: a marmalade sandwich!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Pretty minor one, but in Jackie Brown Ordell and Jackie meet at Jackie's favorite bar (The Cockatoo Inn, a seedy hotel bar), which Ordell seems overly impressed with in his weird over the top manner, suggesting that he's just bullshitting. Later on in the movie, you find out that he actually starts going to the bar.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

parque bynch posted:

I was on my iPhone at the time and didn't want to mess up the spoilers. Edgar Wright posted these lovely images of the bar signs on his blog.

http://www.edgarwrighthere.com/2013/08/24/the-12-pubs-of-the-golden-mile/

As you can see from the sign for The Mermaid, it isn't just the idea of mermaids as sirens, but also the hair color of the three mermaids. A red head between two blondes: a marmalade sandwich!

I love the blue smeared across a few of the signs.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

I love the blue smeared across a few of the signs.

Woah, I think those are all the ones where a fight scene occurred. Deep.

Edit: Yeah, someone confirms that in the comments. Also they point out that the face on the King's head is Simon Pegg.

Tears In A Vial has a new favorite as of 16:45 on Sep 5, 2013

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The Good Companions has 4 sad masks and 1 happy mask, which is where the first guy gets body snatched.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Edit: Nevermind, read that last part to quickly.

Edit 2: In The Mist, a scorpion-fly lands on the religious lady. Staying calm, she says something like "My life is yours, thy will be done", and the thing flies away. After that she ramps up the crazy rhetoric and eventually gets into ritualistic sacrifice- I don't think it was God that she made a pact with.

This is different than the novella by Stephen King, which was much, much better.

It's "My life for you" which is a Trashcan Man line from The Stand, and knowing King, probably shows up in The Dark Tower series at least once.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bloodcider posted:

It's "My life for you" which is a Trashcan Man line from The Stand, and knowing King, probably shows up in The Dark Tower series at least once.

I'd forgotten about that- and yes it does, said by Tick Tock (who is very similar to Trashcan Man, I cannot remember if they're supposed to be other-world version of each other). I guess she was unknowingly making a pact with the Flagg/ the Crimson King.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Please consider that all of her prophecies come true, from the monsters coming at night to no monsters coming after they kill the soldier, all the way to the crisis ending when the kid is killed.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

scary ghost dog posted:

Please consider that all of her prophecies come true, from the monsters coming at night to no monsters coming after they kill the soldier, all the way to the crisis ending when the kid is killed.

So wait, she was always an agent, and was being used as an unconvincing conduit of the truth to get people to act irrationally / allow her master to gloat, and her "My life for you" line was just identifying herself to another minion of her master?
:psyduck:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

So wait, she was always an agent, and was being used as an unconvincing conduit of the truth to get people to act irrationally / allow her master to gloat, and her "My life for you" line was just identifying herself to another minion of her master?
:psyduck:

No, its that the reason The Mist is so good is because the character you're conditioned to hate is 100% correct in everything she says and had people simply listened to her there would be no problems. The Mist is basically a complete rebuttal of "I'd act sanely in a supernatural circumstance" mindset that many people carry with them into these sorts of films.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Barudak posted:

No, its that the reason The Mist is so good is because the character you're conditioned to hate is 100% correct in everything she says and had people simply listened to her there would be no problems. The Mist is basically a complete rebuttal of "I'd act sanely in a supernatural circumstance" mindset that many people carry with them into these sorts of films.

Fair enough. I just like n-dimensional chess games.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Also, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, but man what if 'the few' was like a kid and a sad soldier and to save the many you had to brutally murder them?? wouldn't that suck dude but what would you do right? what would you do???"

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Fair enough. I just like n-dimensional chess games.

Those don't exist in King stories. Even evil is guided by emotion in his writing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

Barudak posted:

I didn't really interpret her character that way- yes, she makes predictions that "come true", but they're always tiger-rock situations that could just be coincidence.

It's obvious that her character is using both fear and religion to manipulate the group, and at some points she makes prophecies that don't actually come true, such as when she (clumsily) warned that leaving the market to go over to the drug store would result in more attacks (she's completely against everything that has to do with leaving the store, as it's become her little kingdom where people listen and bend to her will).

*They left out a pretty awesome character in the movie: a British guy who seems like he's in control and a badass, before he's off-handily killed during the Drug Store venture. It was pretty surprising and added to the "they're hosed" thing.

Again, this "prophecy" is pretty safe to make, since the store had been subject to several attacks already, yet it doesn't occur.

I believe that she also makes some allusions to her being protected by God, which obviously weren't true.

The ending in the novella is much more interesting than the movies, which was cringe worthy I found. Instead of everyone dying save James Purefoy, then having that terrible actress from the beginning drive by with a smug look on her face (I TOLD YOU THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE RISKED BOTH YOU AND YOUR SON'S LIVES :smug:), it turns out that the reader has been reading an account left in a hotel lobby, typed up by the father the night before they attempt to leave for a town that they *might* have heard over the radio.

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Sep 5, 2013

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Stephen King liked the different ending of the The Mist movie though:
http://io9.com/325279/the-mists-brutal-controversial-ending
(obviously contains spoilers about the ending to the book and movie)

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Mierenneuker posted:

And he also disliked Kubrick's version of The Shining. The man has weird opinions about adaptations of his work.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

And he also disliked Kubrick's version of The Shining. The man has weird opinions about adaptations of his work.

Kubrick's ending was pretty bad in comparison to the entire concept of the original work. It tossed the purposeful characterization of a crazy man as a human straight out the window and just made "crazy jack Nicholson wants booze" on the surface, with a ton of subtext stuffed in that makes it entirely a Kubrick creation instead of an adaptation.

It's not bad, but if your version of the ending of your own book wasn't just changed, but changed so heavily as to alter the structure and themes of your story, you get a free pass on calling it poo poo if you didn't like it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I can understand that. Kubrick's Shining, while an absolute classic movie, was a horrid adaptation of the King novel. King put a lot of himself into that book, and most of that didn't translate to the screen.

When it was more faithfully translated, the result was unfortunately not as memorable,

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

One of the weird things about King is he has confidence issues in his ability to write endings. I've listened to interviews and read On Writing (which is fantastic, btw, even for non aspiring writers) where he talks about how doesn't think he can write satisfactory endings, which I find bizarre because I think he writes fair to good ones.

Another weird thing is that he usually loves adaptations of his work- I'm honestly surprised that he didn't like The Shining.

^^^ According to On Writing, he didn't even realize he was describing himself when he wrote The Shining. Booze-and-Cocaine-King was nuts, but very talented!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Professor Shark posted:

One of the weird things about King is he has confidence issues in his ability to write endings. I've listened to interviews and read On Writing (which is fantastic, btw, even for non aspiring writers) where he talks about how doesn't think he can write satisfactory endings, which I find bizarre because I think he writes fair to good ones.

He used to. As he kept writing, his endings tended more and more into the realm of completely unbelievable craziness and usually resulted in a really well grounded, very realistic and scary story just spiraling out of control, with monsters and demons and all sorts of crazy bullshit ruining whatever suspense he'd built by making the story believable to that point. Off the top of my head, It, Desparation, Rose Madder and Insomnia, immediately spring to mind as books that had me absolutely riveted right up until the third act.

Maybe it's a self fulfilling prophecy kind of thing where he starts to write bad endings because he thinks that what he does.

poo poo. None of this has anything to with subtle moments in movies, does it?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I didn't really interpret her character that way- yes, she makes predictions that "come true", but they're always tiger-rock situations that could just be coincidence.

It's obvious that her character is using both fear and religion to manipulate the group, and at some points she makes prophecies that don't actually come true, such as when she (clumsily) warned that leaving the market to go over to the drug store would result in more attacks (she's completely against everything that has to do with leaving the store, as it's become her little kingdom where people listen and bend to her will).

*They left out a pretty awesome character in the movie: a British guy who seems like he's in control and a badass, before he's off-handily killed during the Drug Store venture. It was pretty surprising and added to the "they're hosed" thing.

Again, this "prophecy" is pretty safe to make, since the store had been subject to several attacks already, yet it doesn't occur.

I believe that she also makes some allusions to her being protected by God, which obviously weren't true.

The ending in the novella is much more interesting than the movies, which was cringe worthy I found. Instead of everyone dying save James Purefoy, then having that terrible actress from the beginning drive by with a smug look on her face (I TOLD YOU THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE RISKED BOTH YOU AND YOUR SON'S LIVES :smug:), it turns out that the reader has been reading an account left in a hotel lobby, typed up by the father the night before they attempt to leave for a town that they *might* have heard over the radio.

As evidenced by the Black and White Director's Cut version of the film, as well as interviews with Frank Darabont, the movie is intended to have a sort of Twilight Zone extended episode feel. Given this, the excessively dark ending and ironic interpretations of the actions of the characters make sense. Also, it's Thomas Jane, not James Purefoy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

Thomas Jane, not James Purefoy.

It's crazy, since they look nothing alike:

... but I have the hardest time remembering who's-who with these guys. What's worse is I love the movies they're in, but I think I've just starting viewing them as the same guy- "I love Tomjanejamespurefoy movies!"

Edit: For content, in the movie Ironclad, much of the fight scenes use historically accurate fighting techniques.

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 10:22 on Sep 6, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

I dunno, I wouldn't say they look NOTHING alike...if I was really really drunk and watched two movies each with one of them in it, I might get them confused too.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Purefoy looks like Jane had sex with McDermott

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Professor Shark posted:

So which one is Aaron Eckhart?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

scary ghost dog posted:

Purefoy looks like Jane had sex with McDermott

I always mix this guy up with Daniel Day Lewis for some reason. If you ever saw him in Wonderland you'd know what I'm talking about. He's a modern day dead ringer for Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York.

See?

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Sep 7, 2013

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
It's not a movie, and it's possible I'm going nuts, but I've been re-watching Mad Men. This scene of Pete and Lane in Lane's office from season four, episode six:

Kind of eerily reminded me of a later scene with the two of them in the same office, in season five, episode twelve:
(potentially nms)

I'm probably reaching, but this show really is pretty amazing and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it had been foreshadowed even earlier.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

It's not a movie, and it's possible I'm going nuts, but I've been re-watching Mad Men. This scene of Pete and Lane in Lane's office from season four, episode six:

Kind of eerily reminded me of a later scene with the two of them in the same office, in season five, episode twelve:
(potentially nms)

I'm probably reaching, but this show really is pretty amazing and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it had been foreshadowed even earlier.
I don't care, I'm glad you caught it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I can understand that. Kubrick's Shining, while an absolute classic movie, was a horrid adaptation of the King novel. King put a lot of himself into that book, and most of that didn't translate to the screen.

When it was more faithfully translated, the result was unfortunately not as memorable,

King still highly recommends the film in 'Danse Macabre'. He doesn't think it's a bad film, he just thinks it's a bad adaptation - which he's right about. But then it's always been his most personal work and he was very clearly dealing with his own substance abuse issues at the time. I'm sure that if you asked him which is the better film, Kubrick's or his own mini-series he'd still side with the Kubrick one.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
It doesn't help that Kubrick even makes subtle jabs that seem to literally be saying he's not going on the source material. For example, the Torrence family car, and the one of the same model the chef sees driving back to the hotel have had their colors reversed from the book from each other.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ask Anthony Burgess how he feels about Kubrick's film adaptations sometime. I'm sure your ouija board would get worn out around the letters C, F, K and U pretty quickly.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ask Anthony Burgess how he feels about Kubrick's film adaptations sometime. I'm sure your ouija board would get worn out around the letters C, F, K and U pretty quickly.

I thought that was because Kubrick had only read the American version of A Clockwork Orange, where the last chapter had been removed?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He didn't read the original edition until he had almost finished the screenplay, but considered the final chapter unconvincing and inconsistent with the rest of the book so didn't consider using it.

Wikipedia tells me that Burgess was actually appreciative of the film, if concerned about the lack of the final chapter but blamed that on the US publisher, not Kubrick. But then he did write a stage adaptation of the book in which during the final scene a bearded man comes on, plays a few bars of Singing in the Rain on the trumpet and promptly gets kicked off stage so I dunno.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess all of Stephen King's horrible cameos in the films adapted from his work would count as "subtle", if you didn't know what he looked like.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Professor Shark posted:

I guess all of Stephen King's horrible cameos in the films adapted from his work would count as "subtle", if you didn't know what he looked like.

Horrible cameos? I think you're forgetting something.

Holy ol' Jesus!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ez posted:

Horrible cameos? I think you're forgetting something.

Holy ol' Jesus!

His poo poo-upon cameo in Sleepwalkers is a highl...well, the highlight. Nobody does "weird loving yokel that no one wants to talk to" better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohz9AHZw_Ng

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Well, at least he did just one thing right. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

His cameo as a cleaner on Sons of Anarchy season 3 episode 3 was pretty good. He plays creepy dudes really well.