Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Pictures.

For reference, this is what you're competing with:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Ahhhh replacing the clutch. I took one look at the FSM on how to do it and nope'd the hell out the moment I saw the witchcraft required to remove the starter and the loosen the top bellhousing bolts.

If you're looking for parts I got my OEM replacement from these guys, A+++++++ would buy again

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2009-H...c132c93&vxp=mtr

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
ACT pressure plate, OEM clutch disc, OEM TO bearing and pilot bearing. Go ahead and get new pressure plate bolts from Honda while you're at it. Actually, while you're in there, put a Exedy aluminum flywheel on it. You'll only want to take that fucker off once every long, long while.

Dropping the trans isn't that much of a bastard, just time consuming. I'd recommend removing the knock sensor before going at it though, it's really easy to accidentally break the thing while trying to get at the bastard starter bolt (which you don't need to remove the alternator and AC comp to get to!)

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

whiskas posted:

Ahhhh replacing the clutch. I took one look at the FSM on how to do it and nope'd the hell out the moment I saw the witchcraft required to remove the starter and the loosen the top bellhousing bolts.

If you're looking for parts I got my OEM replacement from these guys, A+++++++ would buy again

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2009-H...c132c93&vxp=mtr

I had the same :stonk: reaction when I first looked at the process, but it's not all that bad once you get into it. I think the worst part was getting the steering shaft on and off.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Y'all act like I haven't dropped this transmission 3 times in this very thread.

Also why are you touching the steering shaft? There's enough play to drop the subframe/motor 4 inches and even if there wasn't you just unbolt the 4 rack bolts and let it hang from the tie rods.

Gonna try for the starter bolt from under the car this time. Cue lots of U joints and wiggly extensions.

whiskas thanks for that link. As for the flywheel, the lightweight ones are only 1/4lb lighter than the stock one and the last one I put in had major vibration issues at idle. I resurfaced the one I got from the new motor yesterday. I could probably just re-use the one in the car (the clutch only has 3k miles on it) but all that better safe than sorry poo poo sounds pretty good right about now.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Took me 3 hours on the dot to get to the flywheel, thanks to not having to take off all the accessories to get to the starter bolt.

Hey spring, where'd you come from?

WONDER WHY MY CLUTCH DOESN'T WORK:

I thought the flywheel grenaded because I saw the teeth all over the place, but it turns out those springs were just caught in them. Time to see if I can get a refund; this thing's only seen 5k miles tops.

By the way, if anyone ever does a clutch on an S2000, this setup will save you at least 2 hours:

It's a bit of a dick getting it to fit, but it saves you from removing the intake, air box, alternator, belt tensioner, and intake manifold brace just to get to one bolt designed by some manager's retarded nephew.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Clutch springs arghhhhh....

Get a twin plate and call it a month.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Octopus Magic posted:

Clutch was on the car when I bought it. I would've never put such ghetto rear end garbage on any of my cars. On top of it all, I don't even know if I have a 7 bolt flywheel anywhere to put an ACT on.

I would find a nice OEM type clutch or buy an Exedy stock replacement. Nice products, reasonable prices and they make OEM clutches for some applications.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I would find a nice OEM type clutch or buy an Exedy stock replacement. Nice products, reasonable prices and they make OEM clutches for some applications.

How is this post in this thread?

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
A sensible alternative for a guy who would rather have a car he can DD without worrying about what will break next.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

8 hour clutch job finished. That new clutch disk looks so much better quality than the one I took out. Resurfaced the other flywheel I have even though the one in the car had only seen 5k miles... just in case.

Think I'm gonna change my diff fluid too... just in case.

dandaman
Dec 30, 2005

You have a sympathetic goon (and bank account) here. I spent a couple grand (parts and labor) on clutch jobs when my first slave cylinder failed trying to figure out the problem. Figured out it was the slave (an $80 part) and everything was golden. The best way to do the clutch on the S is how you did it. Put it on a lift, drop the sub frame, and grab every ratchet extension you can find.

I have been running an ACT pressure plate and ACT flywheel for 50,000 miles, includes daily driving/track days/autocrosses, at 10 psi and have had ZERO issues with it. Its a bit stiffer than stock, but I'm not a girl, so I don't mind. I have heard really good things about Competition pressure plates as well. Supposedly they are as strong as the ACT with stock pedal feel.

The AP1 flywheel is pretty light from factory, so no huge reason to switch, for comparison the AP2 flywheel is like 18 pounds or something like that, hence why I ditched it.

Good luck with the ride. If you're ever in Miami let me know.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks for the words.

Welp, now I have a low-pitch rotational howling above 40mph that is speed-dependent and does not go away in neutral at speed.

I figure it has to be:

Front wheels
Front hubs
Rear wheels
Rear hubs
CV shafts
Diff
Driveshaft

Since I hosed with the driveshaft-trans connection I went there first. I unbolted it, spun it 180°, and torqued it to spec with loctite. Didn't do much but it may have been a bit better.

After that I changed the diff fluid. It has quieted down a bit now and the associated vibration is mostly gone.

However I still have slight vibration in the steering wheel and the howling noise is muted but still there and sounds like it's coming from the front of the car. It gets more rotational and distinct when turning and the steering feels a bit sluggish (but that could be me being hypersensitive). Could it be something having to do with me dropping the subframe 4 inches? This is the 4th time it's been done.

The tires aren't cupped or unevenly worn, the lug nuts are all torqued to spec, and I didn't see anything glaringly wrong with the driveline connections.

Any thoughts? gently caress I'd like for this thing to run right for a while.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
Do you have any play in the u-joints in the driveshaft?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

They aren't so much conventional U-joints as they are that weird wonky rubber euro flex joint thing. See (stolen) picture:

Also this diagram.

I believe there's supposed to be some axial play already in these for shock damping, so I really can't answer that with confidence. Yes there's play but I have no clue what's acceptable and what's excessive.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Also worth noting this didn't crop up on its own. It's been there since I did the clutch this last time so I'm gravitating towards me loving with something more than a random part failing with extreme coincidence.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This whole thread has been a long, sad chronicle of you ruining a formerly nice S2000. It's the anti-project thread.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
That's a bit harsh. If I recall correctly this is his first time getting this balls deep in a car, and as anyone learning anything can attest, poo poo happens and mistakes are made.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

meatpimp posted:

This whole thread has been a long, sad chronicle of you ruining a formerly nice S2000. It's the anti-project thread.

I would call this more of a reality check. Anyone who has worked on cars long enough has been stuck with a one-thing-after-another nightmare like this. It is part bad luck and part learning curve.

Hats off to the OP for sticking with it, keeping us updated, and maintaining such a good attitude. Actually working on a car for real is more than many AI megaposters can claim.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CatBus posted:

I would call this more of a reality check. Anyone who has worked on cars long enough has been stuck with a one-thing-after-another nightmare like this. It is part bad luck and part learning curve.

Sometimes reality checks go unheeded. OP was warned that the original rebuild was over his head. Since then, it's been a cascade of consequences. If you choose to get into a job like this, you need to know when to step back and see that you're doing more damage than repair.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Wow, thank god meatpimp is here.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hey meatpimp hows your build thread going?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Hey meatpimp hows your build thread going?

Been there, done that. Several times (see Turbo Miata 1, Turbo Miata 2, or Forester XT, among others). Knew enough to not get in over my head and ended up with successful projects, thanks!

Edit: This obviously hit a serious chord, I didn't intend for pointing out that a car that started out the thread in good shape, needing a motor swap, and is now 6 months later on its 3rd motor, at least third clutch, and left with undiagnosed drivetrain howling (along with being wrecked in the interim) to turn into a slag-fest. If UF had a project like this he would have been fully savaged by now...

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 5, 2013

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Been there, done that. Several times. Knew enough to not get in over my head and ended up with successful projects, thanks!

Hey time to move on douchebag. Engine works but you're totally right I'm in over my head when a defective clutch breaks :allears:

piss boner
May 17, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I along with many who follow this thread have enjoyed watching everything that has happened, both good and bad, and seen him take his licks and bounce back, learning more along the way.

meatpimp posted:

Sometimes reality checks go unheeded. OP was warned that the original rebuild was over his head. Since then, it's been a cascade of consequences. If you choose to get into a job like this, you need to know when to step back and see that you're doing more damage than repair.

Look at Mr Perfect meatpimp and his amazing backseat mechanic skills.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Adiabatic posted:

Hey time to move on douchebag. Engine works but you're totally right I'm in over my head when a defective clutch breaks :allears:

Just existing is enough reason for him to crawl up in your craw, don't worry about it. After a bit of abuse, you'll get an awesome t-shirt out of the deal.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

West SAAB Story posted:

Just existing is enough reason for him to crawl up in your craw, don't worry about it. After a bit of abuse, you'll get an awesome t-shirt out of the deal.

Oh, got it now. Meatpimp is just some cranky gently caress. Sorry to bust your chops then.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Backseat mechanic here. Your clutch springs look defective. You should probably sell this car that you've ruined due to faulty manufacturing. Nevermind the 2 motor removal/reinstalltions and a rebuild in there. Granted you did try to put oversized rod bearings in a honda. :v: Those drat japs will bamboozle you with precision every time.

skylineboy08 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 5, 2013

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Adiabatic I think you should just set fire to the car at this point and take up knitting. I'm speaking from experience here, my christmas sweaters are second to none.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Congrats on keeping up with the thread and trying to move forward but gently caress man, slow down and take a second when you're doing repairs. You frequently talk about having the itch to move to your next automotive project but you're never going to find satisfaction until you focus on what's in front of you rather than thinking ahead. Most of the stuff you've had problems with are the result of jumping into something without making a plan, without doing significant research, and employing friends that don't have a clue what they're doing. You trashed a perfectly good motor (f series engines regularly see 150k+ miles before any kind of problem) then upon installation of a new motor experienced a whole crop of new post-installation problems. I searched on s2ki and couldn't find any examples of people with vtec solenoids popping out after a rebuild. If your friend can't install something as rudimentary as bolts between the header and the cat he probably shouldn't be doing much on your car. s2000's are generally bulletproof and none of the problems that you have experienced happen at such volume and with such frequency. If this wasn't an s2000 you'd be getting crushed right now. Who am I to tell you what to do though? I just don't want to see you keep dropping lots of cash when you likely don't need to.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Anyone have a comment on this vibration?

Edit:

I've been working on that since the beginning of this thread, and it's a conscious effort the entire time I'm working on the car. Can we get back to the problem at hand?

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 5, 2013

Eaten By A Grue
Aug 13, 2006
Screw it, it's a learning process. It's a drat nice car with some issues, I'm sure everyone has been there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

From 4 months and a motor ago:

Motronic posted:

Then maybe you should take more care and be more detail oriented. This is at least the third thing you've posted about that wasn't assembled properly.

I know, nobody like to hear they're doing it wrong. But you should seriously reconsider your procedure/amount of care/alcohol consumption during working on the car/whatever. You're missing basic stuff that you shouldn't be missing. Double and triple check your poo poo. I'd be very concerned about what else is lurking right now if I were you. Enough so to spend an afternoon going over everything I could reasonably get to that I'd touched with a fine toothed comb.

I stand by this advice, even if the OP and Kastein still want to jump on my poo poo over it.

Sure, this stuff is a learning process, but it doesn't have to be a series of disasters.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I went back and checked every bolt I could get at 2 days before this clutch went.

I'm constantly going over everything I do now since I blew up the rebuilt motor.

I do not ever drink while working on my car. It's something I've never enjoyed doing.

I don't come out and say this here because it's horrible discussion and self-indulgent.

It's ridiculously easy to tell me "be perfect" and then whoa, you're magically right when I keep updating this thread with every little mistake I make.

Stop being a holier-than-thou armchair mechanic and making GBS threads up my thread. I update this for my enjoyment and for added content for AI, not so I can have 4 more father figures.

Either help me diagnose the vibration or shut the gently caress up and goonsay somewhere else.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Adiabatic posted:

Either help me diagnose the vibration or shut the gently caress up and goonsay somewhere else.

Welcome to the SomethingAwful Forums :allears:.

Have you checked your secondary shafts? The whirring is common to them, especially if you've hosed with the gearbox and drive shaft a number of times. I literally spent five minutes googling your symptoms.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/691420-secondary-shaft-bearing-replacement/

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/814474-tail-shaft-removal/

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/193376-tailshaft-bearing-noise/

You can diagnose this by removing the drive shaft and checking the output shaft from the transmission for play.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Jesus Christ how did I miss that. Gonna go check end play.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Adiabatic posted:

Jesus Christ how did I miss that. Gonna go check end play.

Good luck man, I really hope that's it. Apparently you can replace the bearings without having to drop the transmission so there's that!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh hey cool the electric unlock just broke. :can:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Adiabatic posted:

Oh hey cool the electric unlock just broke. :can:

What did you do to break that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
You know, Christine-who-hates-her-owner is not a real good story in the first place, but to make her an S2000?! C'mon now!

• Locked thread