Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

mactheknife posted:

I'm really, really enjoying these, I have to say.

It feels like something that should have been in Chikara all along.

Green Ant defends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
So Icarus is continuing his viral/grassroots campaign to Save Chikara, and is organizing a meet-up/rally in Philly on Saturday, Sept. 14, at the steps where they shot that scene in "Rocky."

There was also some hoopla about a petition that was posted under his username on the 101 Forums to Save Chikara, but which was revealed by Icarus to be a fraud, since his account got hacked. The site where the petition was hosted later showed that it was being run by Condor Security. The petition included fields for mailing addresses and phone numbers, which some people did admit on 101 to have filled out.

This thread on the 101 forums reveals that several of the people who signed the petition and gave their phone numbers have been receiving phone calls from (612) 460-1865, which is owned by Condor Security. These calls' all seem to be warnings about "security threats" and "[we] advise you to stay away from the Rocky Steps between 11 and 1 on September 14th." If someone calls the phone number back, they receive a message stating "Condor target/threat logged."

So it seems that something may be happening in this stage of whatever ARG that Quack is running here, fairly soon.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I think its just a way to drum up more interest in the meet up. Obviously the more people get told not to go, the more people will want to show up. I hope its more than just free swag again. I'd go but I'll be working. Kinda interested in seeing what happens, esp since its in such a public place.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jay 2K Winger posted:

So Icarus is continuing his viral/grassroots campaign to Save Chikara, and is organizing a meet-up/rally in Philly on Saturday, Sept. 14, at the steps where they shot that scene in "Rocky."

There was also some hoopla about a petition that was posted under his username on the 101 Forums to Save Chikara, but which was revealed by Icarus to be a fraud, since his account got hacked. The site where the petition was hosted later showed that it was being run by Condor Security. The petition included fields for mailing addresses and phone numbers, which some people did admit on 101 to have filled out.

This thread on the 101 forums reveals that several of the people who signed the petition and gave their phone numbers have been receiving phone calls from (612) 460-1865, which is owned by Condor Security. These calls' all seem to be warnings about "security threats" and "[we] advise you to stay away from the Rocky Steps between 11 and 1 on September 14th." If someone calls the phone number back, they receive a message stating "Condor target/threat logged."

So it seems that something may be happening in this stage of whatever ARG that Quack is running here, fairly soon.

I wish this was still up, a great way to freak out some paranoid conspiracy theorists would be to sign the petition with their phone number.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like to imagine Icarus with his arms crossed all mad at the guys doing 24/7 stuff, yelling GUYYYYS STAWWWWP I'M DOING IMPORTANT STUFFFFFFFFF

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Looks like things are gearing up for a grand return. Can't say i'm not excited to see what the Chikara boys have up their masks for this one. Count me in with the 20 others to go to the famed Rocky steps. Condor security can't stop us!!!!!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Shaman of Cum posted:

Looks like things are gearing up for a grand return. Can't say i'm not excited to see what the Chikara boys have up their masks for this one. Count me in with the 20 others to go to the famed Rocky steps. Condor security can't stop us!!!!!!

You have to admit it would be hard for CHIKARA to appeal to you more than it has over the last three months by not running any shows.

Edit: besides just going out of business, obviously.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 4, 2013

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

You have to admit it would be harder for CHIKARA to appeal to you more than it has over the last three months by not running any shows.

It's the best its ever been, my friend

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Chikara is so weird, sheesh. How about you put on some events where a face fights valiantly against a dastardly heel?

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

triplexpac posted:

Chikara is so weird, sheesh. How about you put on some events where a face fights valiantly against a dastardly heel?

How about they put on some events?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

threatening phone calls. That's a nice touch. to end up in jail.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I assume most of the Chikara guys have day jobs because they aren't paying the bills with wrestling to being with, but I wonder how they feel about this source of income not existing for a year. Even if the Chikara paydays are lovely it was a place to shill merch in front of a sizable crowd.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 4, 2013

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

oatgan posted:

I assume most of the Chikara guys have day jobs because they aren't paying the bills with wrestling to being with, but I wonder how they feel about this source of income not existing for a year

I'm sure the paydays from Wrestling is _________ rival those sweet sweet Chikara checks

I'd say something about other bookings but we all know how well that goes for most Chikara trained guys

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oatgan posted:

I assume most of the Chikara guys have day jobs because they aren't paying the bills with wrestling to being with, but I wonder how they feel about this source of income not existing for a year. Even if the Chikara paydays are lovely it was a place to shill merch in front of a sizable crowd.

It'll be funny if Quack's trying to book the show and dudes keep telling him that they're already booked or have to wash their hair or something.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

coconono posted:

It'll be funny if Quack's trying to book the show and dudes keep telling him that they're already booked

:cmon:

They should at least make their excuses believable

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Other than Jigsaw and Icarus, a most of the Chikara guys are doing pretty well on the indies.

All the ants have alter egos that are booked regularly.
Sugar Dunkerton and Mr. Touchdown are tearing up the midwest
The Osyrian Portal are in contention for the CZW tag belts
Chuck Taylor is an awesome douchebag in Evolve/DG USA
Gargano is a legit dude and too good for Chikara anyway.
Tim Donst is doing stuff for Beyond and AIW
Hydra has a cooking show.
Uno & Dos are doing stuff all over canada

etc.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
What does Ultra Mantis Black do? Does he have an alter ego outside of Chikara as well?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Pretty sure UMB is a teacher during the week. He also is in a band. He doesn't really need wrestling bookings.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I've basically been out of the loop with the spinoffs since the last CHIKARA show, any shows worth checking out? The 24/7 stuff sounds fun.

coconono posted:

All the ants have alter egos that are booked regularly.

I know Fire is Orange Cassidy and Soldier is Drew Gulak, but who are the other ones? Also worth noting that Eddie Kingston just went back to ROH.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Thauros posted:

I've basically been out of the loop with the spinoffs since the last CHIKARA show, any shows worth checking out? The 24/7 stuff sounds fun.

I know Fire is Orange Cassidy and Soldier is Drew Gulak, but who are the other ones? Also worth noting that Eddie Kingston just went back to ROH.
Green Ant is Kevin Steen. CHIKARA isn't actually running any shows, but their tiny little off-shoot training promotions Wrestling Is running shows all the time. Ask DM Punk if they're worth picking up. They're fun, but they're not really THAT good. Not when there's so much PWG and New Japan to buy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DM Punk posted:

Pretty sure UMB is a teacher during the week. He also is in a band. He doesn't really need wrestling bookings.

Doesn't he also have that vegan hot-dog company? Dude's a busy guy who does a lot of things.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Flameingblack posted:

Green Ant is Kevin Steen. CHIKARA isn't actually running any shows, but their tiny little off-shoot training promotions Wrestling Is running shows all the time. Ask DM Punk if they're worth picking up. They're fun, but they're not really THAT good. Not when there's so much PWG and New Japan to buy.

Most of the Wrestling Is shows are completely forgettable. Some of the WiF! shows are ok. Wrestling is Respect is probably the best to watch for good wrestling. It's low on wackiness and high on good wrestling which makes sense since its a baby ROH in a way.

Intense, Heart, Cool, Awesome, and Art are pretty much all throwaway shows with not much storylines and just random matches.

Green Ant is just a Chikara WrestleFactory dude from what I know. I don't think he wrestles outside of his gimmick but he does seem to be on every Wrestling Is show. Pretty sure he's on the roster of every one of them. So at least he's keeping busy.

It's kind of dumb having all these companies be separate though. Just run them as one big company with one website and be done with it. They are never gonna get big crowds with the current way they have the whole thing setup. It's pretty much set up to fail.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I think they're less set up to fail as set up not to succeed. This way theres zero chance any of them will grow to a level where they would be a threat to Chikara when it relaunches.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I don't think they're really supposed to succeed, at least not to a major level. It's just a way to create a network of promotions and locations for a lot of wrestlers to get work and hone themselves (and have fun,) that aren't the exact same thing, but under the banner of Wrestling Is, so you know what you're getting to some degree.

This isn't a perfect comparison, but when you look at WWE RAW, WWE SmackDown, WWE NXT, and the whole brand split idea, you can see that it's different people and different themes, yet also a lot of the same people and the basic idea of wrestling under the WWE banner. Not that I think Wrestling Is is an amazing concept executed greatly, but it seems to be more about providing a fun wrestling product in areas that might not get it otherwise, rather than trying to build up seven or eight new CHIKARAs to the level it was at.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Here's the voice mail they've been leaving.

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002
Whether the 'Wrestling Is' thing as a whole feels sort of half-cocked, Wrestling is Heart's August show definitely had a larger audience than any of the School of Roc shows from the year prior, so it's not really a failure in some ways. It certainly doesn't help the idea of maintaining a fanbase that would be receptive to a rebooted Chikara.

Gordy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 5, 2013

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
The first two Wrestling is Heart shows had a lot less people than School of Roc did. In fact, the 2nd show did like 25 people. Now, that was after a venue change right before the show, so there's a little bit of an excuse but still.

The Wrestling is Respect shows draw less than 100 people. Wrestling is Cool draws like 50-70 people. The WiF shows are just starting to draw a decent crowd and they'd have like 15 shows at this point. I just can't imagine these shows making any money unless the workers are getting paid next to nothing and SMV is selling a shitload of mp4's and VOD's of each show.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Haha I was just gonna say, is it possible to break even running wrestling shows for 25 people? I could book a wrestling show and draw 25 people if that's all it takes.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

Haha I was just gonna say, is it possible to break even running wrestling shows for 25 people? I could book a wrestling show and draw 25 people if that's all it takes.

Prove it tough guy.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Prove it tough guy.

Welcome to the first ever TriplexpacMania, main event is X-Pac vs Davey Richards (spoiler X-Pac goes over)

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

rauschgames on chikara101 posted:

Just left the rally and scurried away to come post the goings on on the Schuylkill River Trail. Long story short: We signed a petition, were given t-shirts, and were given a certain email address for a certain head of a certain conglomerate. Icarus left his sign, which revealed a crazy cryptic hashtag. For fear of censorship, pictures of all are live on my Twitter page. https://twitter.com/RauschGames

Latest exciting :rolleyes: development if anyone was curious about what happened at the rally

Edit: v whoops didn't notice the period at the end, should work now.

jalopybrown fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 14, 2013

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

jalopybrown posted:

Latest exciting :rolleyes: development if anyone was curious about what happened at the rally
Of course that twitter account was part of the conspiracy and taken down

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

At what point in this ARG do the roster start getting stalked by Slenderman?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Skinty McEdger posted:

At what point in this ARG do the roster start getting stalked by Slenderman?

Look, I know Green Ant has no muscles but that's not nice.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

For the record, the cryptic hashtag in question is #13Y19T5R9U13P

The 101 Forums already decrypted that (or at least they think they have) by replacing the numbers with letters of the alphabet. 13=M, 19=S, 5=E, 9=I, which gives you MysteriumP.

Which goes back to the failed ARG last year, Mysterium Populus, that failed because no one on the forums was really cooperating to try to solve the whole thing, and hoarding all their info.

Kevin Ford, the author of the Chikara Special blog, got an unsolicited email from someone calling themselves "Chikara Answers" back in May before the "Aniversario: Never Compromise" iPPV. The anonymous email said he'd answer any three questions about Chikara that were sent to him, to the best of his ability. One of Morales' questions dealt with Mysterium Populus, and got the response:

"Mysterium Populous was an overt homage to the concept of Publius Enigma that was tied to the Pink Floyd album "The Division Bell." Unlike the Enigma, the Mysterium was given a very specific timeframe to prevent it from going on indefinitely. There were 13 phases to the Mysterium, each shorter than the one before it, leading to a final phase with just one clue, and one possible answer. The person that correctly solved the Mysterium would have been awarded a prize of every single CHIKARA DVD produced up until the day the Mysterium was solved. It would have also led to the release of a 4 minute video that foreshadowed much of Season 12. On the 365th day of the Mysterium game, no person or group had even progressed to the third phase, leaving the vast majority of the puzzle unsolved. The failure of the fans to solve Mysterium Populous means the video has never, and will never be released."

Basically, it looks like Quack hasn't given up his ARG aspirations.

EDIT: Correction on who asked about MysteriumP.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
So, did something happen with Icarus yesterday?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

So, did something happen with Icarus yesterday?

If by "something happen," you mean "showed up, handed out t-shirts, passed around a petition and kept the ChikARGa thing going," then yes.

Icarus also gave out the email address to W. Conrad Vavasseur, one of the Titor Conglomerate execs-- w.c.vavasseur@titorconglomerate.com

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
So that will be the account people try to "hack" on the titor website then...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So here's my theory of what's happening.

Quack seriously needed a vacation from running/writing Chikara, which based on the brief conversation I had with him at the last Trios, wears on him a lot. Whether or not all that divorce poo poo was true or not, he really couldn't be bothered and just had to get away. So he figured he'd take a 6-9 month break and let his friends handle the Wrestling Is promotions. He needed a way to keep people talking about Chikara or at least keeping it from fading away like a forgotten memory and so you get this angle. Which isn't really exciting. It's just an elaborate reminder that Chikara was a thing at one point and will be again.

This better be the best tasting beer in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Welp...

The Wrestling is Intense show today ended when CombatAny, 17, and DeviAnt (remember them?) stormed the ring during the main event and held Jervis Cottonbelly hostage until the promoter agreed to shut down the show and company apparently. So, if they continue to go to different Wrestling is companies and do something similar, it could mean CHIKARA is close to coming back? Or maybe its just a way to end a show and create buzz. I have no idea honestly. But, I mean, if your main event of a show is DARKNESS CRABTREE vs JERVIS COTTONBELLY, I think shutting the company down might be a good idea.

• Locked thread