Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's just so sad to see the perfect storm again of increasing household debt and also people buying into the price can only go higher mindset.

I suppose the only difference vs. the US bubble is Canadian banks have slightly better rainy day funds.

Are the Canadian banks also following the same over leveraging trap similar to the US bubble?

Sort of like how some companies burned by the bubbles such as Goldman Sachs were overleveraged at wild ratios such as 32:1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

etalian posted:

Canadian banks have slightly better rainy day funds.

Yeah, it's called the taxpayer, via the CMHC.

Also, Goldman Sachs is more powerful and rich beyond the dreams of avarice since the crisis.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Yeah, it's called the taxpayer, via the CMHC.

Also, Goldman Sachs is more powerful and rich beyond the dreams of avarice since the crisis.

So the finance system is basically Obi Wan Kenobi?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just postin' a datapoint.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/09/05/canadas-two-largest-real-estate-markets-are-surging/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

quote:

Housing-market data are showing few signs of a hard landing after warnings from economists and policy makers that a bubble may have been forming. Buyers have adjusted to tighter mortgage rules imposed last year, according to Diane Usher, president of the Toronto realtor group.

“Many households have accounted for the added costs brought on by stricter mortgage lending guidelines and have reactivated their search for a home,” User said in today’s statement.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked the related article on the site:
(Why real estate doomsayers continue to be wrong)
http://business.financialpost.com/2013/09/04/canada-housing-doomsayers/

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Ah, the president of the Toronto Realtor's Group says "markets surging" and "buy, you buy now"? Well, that sounds good to me!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Paper Mac posted:

Ah, the president of the Toronto Realtor's Group says "markets surging" and "buy, you buy now"? Well, that sounds good to me!

I loved his quote

quote:

James McKellar, academic director of the Program in Real Property at York University’s Schulich School of Business, predicts smooth waters ahead. His response to an admittedly leading question about a Canadian real estate bubble was met with, “There is no bubble so I don’t know how it can burst. Each time I share this view with the media, the story dies. So many journalists embark to prove an assumption that is false.” Later during a telephone conversation, he had more to say about journalism’s role. “The media has gone out of their way to tell people that the market is going to collapse,” McKellar says. “The good news is that the readers aren’t listening and people are still buying.”

Prices can only get higher!

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Why THIS Time is Way Different Than All The Other Times

Canada's housing market is immune to mean reversion because of our powerful leader Stephen HArper. He is holding the economy like a wolf he is riding into battle. Also because we are immune to foreigners economic diseases. Look how white Stephen is. This represents his powerful anglo-saxon hairitage and his noble Ontarian upbringing. "Haha, you should totally buy my book," someone employed in the housing industry said to me, confirming this analysis.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Good news everyone! MLS says in Toronto we're all a bunch of nervous nellies!

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/09/05/9-05-13-toronto-home-sales-jump-21-in-august-realtors-say/?__lsa=1880-df0d

quote:

Realtors say home sales in the Greater Toronto Area shot up 21% in August compared with last year, with strength in all major housing categories. The Toronto Real Estate Board says 7,569 residential transactions went through its MLS system last month, compared with 66,249 sales in August 2012. The average selling price for August 2013 was $503,094 — up almost 5.5% from $477,170 in August 2012. TREB spokesman Jason Mercer says that despite an increase in borrowing costs in the spring and summer, an average priced home in the GTA has remained affordable for a household earning an average income. With this in mind, tight market conditions are expected to promote continued price growth through the remainder of 2013,“ says Mercer, the board’s senior manager of market analysis.

It seems like I'm reading articles twice a week now arguing against a housing bubble. That's as big an indicator of the bubble's existence as any other I've seen.

e: There's three articles ON THIS PAGE that demonstrate what I'm talking about.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
How do I figure out how big margin calls are on bank short positions

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/09/05/9-05-13-toronto-home-sales-jump-21-in-august-realtors-say/?__lsa=1880-df0d

It seems like I'm reading articles twice a week now arguing against a housing bubble. That's as big an indicator of the bubble's existence as any other I've seen.

Nothing says affordable like having 5.7 for the median income to house price ratio in the GTA.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Why is the cost of housing going ever higher good? :psyduck: Yeah, it's great for people who already own a home, but it requires a non-zero level of thought to realize starter homes costing a million bucks in Winnipeg means no one can afford houses.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Why is the cost of housing going ever higher good? :psyduck: Yeah, it's great for people who already own a home, but it requires a non-zero level of thought to realize starter homes costing a million bucks in Winnipeg means no one can afford houses.

Im actually beginning to suspect most of these people have been putting this spin on the housing market for long enough now that they actually believe in what they say. Logic is no longer even part of the equation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well it's good for real estate agents and banks.

(Until the bubble bursts)

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Why is the cost of housing going ever higher good? :psyduck:

It's clearly not a societal good. No one would celebrate food or energy being hideously expensive (other than respective entrenched interests).

Big downstream consequences (population growth, etc) will likely follow if we can't as a nation normalize things. Personally, I'd rather emigrate than shovel every last nickel I earn for the next 30 years towards some boomer and their offspring.

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 5, 2013

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

There's that word again: average. Very intentional why they are using that term.

In short, because of this:

you end up with the average differing from the median by $20k+

The data is from 2001 per this link.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

It's clearly not a societal good. No one would celebrate food or energy being hideously expensive (other than respective entrenched interests).

Big downstream consequences (population growth, etc) will likely follow if we can't as a nation normalize things. Personally, I'd rather emigrate than shovel every last nickel I earn for the next 30 years towards some boomer and their offspring.

It sort ties back into similar to the USA, Canada seems to pursuing a policy of appreciation not affordability by continuing to pump things such as the home loan credit supply.

http://soberlook.com/2013/07/for-many-americans-rising-home-prices.html

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

lol that's great :canada:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
oh and then there's this

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
I've been following this thread since its inception, and I really can't believe the regression hasn't started yet, but it must be coming soon.

How do you guys recommend taking a short position in all this? I don't own a home, but have some mutual fund investments which I'd like to (partially) use to take a short position against it. I've looked at hedge funds like Hyphen Partners LP but it doesn't look like you can just jump in on it.

Any suggestions?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Corrupt Cypher posted:

I've been following this thread since its inception, and I really can't believe the regression hasn't started yet, but it must be coming soon.

How do you guys recommend taking a short position in all this? I don't own a home, but have some mutual fund investments which I'd like to (partially) use to take a short position against it. I've looked at hedge funds like Hyphen Partners LP but it doesn't look like you can just jump in on it.

Any suggestions?

Don't. The market can remain irrational for much longer than you can remain solvent and the likelihood is that those who have the money to burn have already occupied any positions with a potential for meaningful profit.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Don't. The market can remain irrational for much longer than you can remain solvent and the likelihood is that those who have the money to burn have already occupied any positions with a potential for meaningful profit.

Yeah, I've discussed this at length with my investor neighbour and that was the exact quote he used. drat Keynes.

But how do you look at a stock like this http://www.canadastockchannel.com/symbol/hcg.ca/ and not see the potential to make a boatload if/when poo poo hits the fan?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Yeah, I've discussed this at length with my investor neighbour and that was the exact quote he used. drat Keynes.

But how do you look at a stock like this http://www.canadastockchannel.com/symbol/hcg.ca/ and not see the potential to make a boatload if/when poo poo hits the fan?

I have been watching that for a year now as a potential short. Luckily I haven't bothered as I would have lost my shirt on what should be a sure bet.

Maybe it will be a sure bet over the next 6-12 months, or maybe things will remain irrational for a bit longer yet. I'm keeping my money off the table.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Shorting is hard. It was obvious to me in 2008/2009 at the height of RIM's hubris and financial success that they were utterly doomed. But they were flying high for another few years. It's timing the downfall that's hard - and the irrationality/solvency thing is what gets you.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I might still jump on it but it will be a small bet, something I'd be OK with losing given the perceived huge upside.

What sort of investments do you guys keep your money in then if you're confident this bubble will burst eventually? Right now the financial adviser I have recommended a low risk mutual fund that had a bunch of its value tied up in Canadian banking and I'm looking to get away from it. I was thinking American bonds or *gasp* even American equities.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I've been dumping all my cash into american stocks.

I don't know how old you are, but if you're under 30, you should definitely be taking on more risk.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I might still jump on it but it will be a small bet, something I'd be OK with losing given the perceived huge upside.

What sort of investments do you guys keep your money in then if you're confident this bubble will burst eventually? Right now the financial adviser I have recommended a low risk mutual fund that had a bunch of its value tied up in Canadian banking and I'm looking to get away from it. I was thinking American bonds or *gasp* even American equities.

If you're serious about doing this, ask yourself what sectors stand to lose the most and short them. Construction, lumber and building supply stores seem like good places to start.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Corrupt Cypher posted:

What sort of investments do you guys keep your money in then if you're confident this bubble will burst eventually?

Mostly index funds - with fairly heavy US and international weighting. I'm a huge, huge proponent and advocate of Couch Potato Investing. We're already highly exposed to Canadian risk by virtue of living and working here - so, modulo tax benefits from some domestic investments, I tend to favour investing externally.

We should probably start a Canadian investing thread. Primarily a place to discuss avoiding the various ripoffs employed by our beloved financial institutions.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

I've been dumping all my cash into american stocks.

I don't know how old you are, but if you're under 30, you should definitely be taking on more risk.

24, just finished paying off my student loans. Saving about 50% of my income, soon to be more like 70%. So yeah, I'm pretty drat risk tolerant right now.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

If you're serious about doing this, ask yourself what sectors stand to lose the most and short them. Construction, lumber and building supply stores seem like good places to start.

I like the lumber idea. Also, that's the greatest username/avatar combo I've ever seen on these forums. Clapclap!

Lexicon posted:

Mostly index funds - with fairly heavy US and international weighting. I'm a huge, huge proponent and advocate of Couch Potato Investing. We're already highly exposed to Canadian risk by virtue of living and working here - so, modulo tax benefits from some domestic investments, I tend to favour investing externally.

We should probably start a Canadian investing thread. Primarily a place to discuss avoiding the various ripoffs employed by our beloved financial institutions.

That site looks pretty neat! Right now I have a TFSA with limited $ in it with Investors Group (long story short, friend's gf got a job there and I wanted to help her out) but I am definitely skeptical of having them handle my assets.

A Canada specific investment thread sounds very cool!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Corrupt Cypher posted:

I am definitely skeptical of having them handle my assets.

You should be. They are robber barons, and not that competent to boot.

Corrupt Cypher posted:

A Canada specific investment thread sounds very cool!

Cool; I'll try to set it up sometime this weekend unless someone beats me to it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd be pretty interested in that too. I just started 'seriously' investing and we have a pretty good "guy" handling it for us but I actually don't know poo poo.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Shifty Pony posted:

There's that word again: average. Very intentional why they are using that term.

In short, because of this:

you end up with the average differing from the median by $20k+

The data is from 2001 per this link.

The thing is, they're using averages for the house prices as well. Fortunately, you can dig up the actual median Toronto price in this document from the Tornot Real Estate Board (pdf). It's $431,000 for August 2013. The last figures on Toronto median household income are from 2010, and put it at $68,110 (it may be higher in 2013, but probably not by much). So the median house price to median income ratio for Toronto is probably about 6.3 (maybe 6 if you adjust for income increases since 2010).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The thing is, they're using averages for the house prices as well. Fortunately, you can dig up the actual median Toronto price in this document from the Tornot Real Estate Board (pdf). It's $431,000 for August 2013. The last figures on Toronto median household income are from 2010, and put it at $68,110 (it may be higher in 2013, but probably not by much). So the median house price to median income ratio for Toronto is probably about 6.3 (maybe 6 if you adjust for income increases since 2010).

Department of Numbers had a nice megatable for US states, only California, DC or Hawaii equal/exceed the GTA affordability index.
http://www.deptofnumbers.com/affordability/states/

RBC also had a report here on home affordability by province:
http://www.rbc.com/newsroom/pdf/HA-0225-2013.pdf

(find the BC graph for a good laugh)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey hey hey, it's schadenfreude Sunday!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/real-estate/vancouver-condo-buyers-take-a-second-look/article14162513/?service=print

quote:

Derek Hynes was thinking like a lot of Vancouverites when he purchased his one-bedroom condo in one of Surrey’s new towers. He thought its value would rise each year, enough to make the purchase an investment in his future. He’d build equity until he had enough to purchase a bigger place, maybe even the down payment on a house.

The expectation that every home should build equity is a hangover from the pre-2008 years, when it seemed that real estate had nowhere to go but up, up, up. Average income earners were purchasing presale units and flipping them by the time they were completed, pocketing $50,000 or so in the process. Those days are long over. A shift is underway. As many condo owners who purchased five years ago and are trying to sell today can attest, the equity simply did not materialize. They are often breaking even, or selling for slightly more or less. Today, a condo in Vancouver is no longer viewed as a winning investment, so much as affordable housing and forced savings plan.

And if you consider that mortgage payments are still higher than those in Toronto, condos aren’t even that affordable. A recently released real estate report on Canadian cities says: “Despite the 2012 drop in Vancouver’s median condominium price and a further decline expected in 2013, the area’s affordability is forecast to remain the weakest by far among this report’s eight cities, both this year and throughout the forecast.”

The report, released by the Conference Board of Canada and Genworth Canada, also says that interest and principal payments on the median condo in Vancouver last year were a full 20 per cent more than payments in Toronto. For that reason, Mr. Hynes, who’s become a father since he purchased his 620 sq. ft. condo, will rent out his condo and use the money to rent another place, in an area with better value. Mr. Hynes paid $182,000 for his condo, which was $7,000 below the asking price. He was thinking of selling the unit until he saw that his neighbour on the same floor, with the same suite, has just listed for $179,000.

“I thought it would at least keep its value, so I’m surprised,” Mr. Hynes says. “If it had kept its value, I definitely would have sold right now.”

He says his work colleagues, friends and relatives are facing the same situation. His cousin just sold her condo after renting it out for five years, and she lost money on it.

“It was for the exact same reason I’m losing out,” Mr. Hynes says. “Because there are so many condos in the area.”

There are too many new condos. Since the economic slump of 2009, condo starts have been on the rise, and above the 20-year average ratio of starts-to-population growth. Developments were going up almost as if it were 2007 again.

“This left the inventory of completed but unsold apartment condominiums very high by the past decade’s standards,” says the Genworth/Conference Board of Canada report, which provided those numbers.

With the slump in prices, sales have recently picked up. The benchmark price of an apartment decreased 1.1 per cent from August, 2012, to $366,100 in August this year, according to the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver. Sales last month went up 40 per cent over August, 2012.

“Even though the real estate market is booming, the prices mostly remain the same,” says Vadim Marusin, who’s the founder of Estateblock.com, a new real estate search engine that maps the Multiple Listing Service listings and uses colour coding to provide data on education, minority group visibility, education level, income levels, crime, violent crime, schools, daycares, transit and climate in neighbourhoods throughout the Lower Mainland. Want to live among people with a high percentage of university degrees? He’s got the map that will show you. Such neighbourhood profiling might sound cold, but it makes sense in a city that’s more often treated as a land bank than a community.

“If we are talking about Metro Vancouver, the hottest areas are Richmond downtown, Vancouver downtown, and Vancouver west, mostly large low-rises,” Mr. Marusin says.

Urban Analytics’ Michael Ferreira tracks the market on a quarterly basis, and he sees a condo glut that’s softening prices.

“We’ve seen the unsold inventory of product under construction increase steadily over the last year,” he said, seated in a coffee shop with several cranes working in the distance. “Not to the point of concern for oversupply, but certainly to the point where buyer urgency is not as great.”

Because buyers know there is another building coming up, they aren’t pressured to buy, adds Urban Analytics’ analyst Jon Bennest.

“In some markets where there’s a lot of supply and not as much demand, it’s hard to say that we’ll see a price increase. In others where there is less supply and consistent demand, we do see those areas increasing. So it’s very specific to the submarket,” says Mr. Bennest.

“Areas we see flatlining or stabilizing would be Langley and Cloverdale, for example, where you have quite a bit of supply in that market. There is a continual supply base that will make it hard for prices to come up.”

Long-time commercial development analyst Richard Wozny of Site Economics, says that condo equity growth may remain a slow hill to climb.

“After six years of low interest rates and high population growth, the annual value increase was still far less than 1 per cent,” he says. “Owners require rising prices to offset costs associated with mortgage payments, interest rates, property taxes, monthly operating fees, the lack of liquidity, possible vacancy and building depreciation. However, more than 340,000 new condo units – 10,000 per year – are being planned in the Metro Growth strategy.

“Massive new supply, coupled with higher interest rates should continue to keep average condo prices from rising faster than inflation.”

With the city population steadily growing by about 37,000 people a year, the condo will remain the only affordable housing option for a lot of people. And the people with real equity – foreign investors and local boomers – will continue to look to them for investment.

“A lot of people have built equity over time, and have more buying power, and that is what allows our market somehow to keep going, despite the prices,” says Mr. Ferreira.

With condo starts expected to stay low in comparison to the previous decade, and demand expected to rise, condo inventories should become more sustainable, the Conference Board of Canada report says. With the drop in listings and a sales increase in the forecast, prices should slightly rise between 2014 and 2017.

Mr. Hynes says he’ll hang onto his condo long enough to see that happen.

“I’m in a situation where I cannot afford to sell it, so I’m going to be renting it out, probably next month.

“For me, it feels as if I am moving backward in life, but I have no choice, because I need to move on because I have a family now. I am going to move out and go rent a basement suite in Coquitlam.

“I know a lot of people can’t afford their mortgages because there are tons of cheap basement suites in Coquitlam.”

SOMEHOW THIS MARKET KEEP GOING

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm curious in Canada is there a capital gain tax exemption for home sales similar to the USA?

In the US a joint filing couple can get a $500,000 escape from having to pay federal capital gain taxes assuming you meet the primary residence requirement.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

I'm curious in Canada is there a capital gain tax exemption for home sales similar to the USA?

In the US a joint filing couple can get a $500,000 escape from having to pay federal capital gain taxes assuming you meet the primary residence requirement.

Yeah, you are exempt from capital gains tax on your primary residence, afaik.

You are also exempt on the gains from where you lie about living until they catch you.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

Yup.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/lns101-170/127/rsdnc/menu-eng.html

But the CRA is starting to crack down on people who abuse this claim.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/04/20/get-ready-to-pay-income-tax-on-your-condo-profit/

uh oh

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ocrumsprug posted:

Yeah, you are exempt from capital gains tax on your primary residence, afaik.

You are also exempt on the gains from where you lie about living until they catch you.

Is it capped similar to the US tax system?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

etalian posted:

Is it capped similar to the US tax system?

Knowing Canada, probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Here's an unlikely testament to a turning real estate market, from the Building industry and land development association:
https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/377450758154645504

Linked from Ben Rabidoux's twitter.

http://www.bildgta.ca/BILD/uploaded...cil_Package.pdf

quote:

Currently, the development charge rate for a 2 bedroom unit is $12,412. The City’s original
proposal was to increase this tax by approximately 100% to $24,939. The rates were revised in June
to a proposed $23,036, which represented an 86% increase.
In 2012, housing sales declined by 39% from the year prior in the City of Toronto. Currently, there
have now been five consecutive quarters where housing sales have remained below trend – the
longest stretch in recent history. In a declining sales market, City staff’s proposal has the real
potential to result in a housing downturn which will affect hundreds of thousands of jobs, create
additional financial strain on new home purchasers and create significant barriers for people seeking
to enter into homeownership, let alone the potential loss of revenue.

Like Ben says, 'keep taxes low so we can keep our sweet 30% margin pls'