Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Yes.

Its so much better than that Naval War crap game.

Its a simulation that is very fun to play.

Baloogan posted:

Have you ever played WITP? Its quite a bit like WITP, there are Grand Campaign scenarios with different starting times and then there are tiny little scenarios.

See now these two posts don't seem to add up because WitP is very much not fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baloogan posted:

Have you ever played WITP? Its quite a bit like WITP, there are Grand Campaign scenarios with different starting times and then there are tiny little scenarios.

Yeah, I played* WITP, I just wasn't sure if they were going to let you say, skip the invasion of Italy and try for a summer 1943 landing in Brittany or weird alt-history things like that or if it was more 'locked down'.

* Booted, pushed buttons, goggled in confusion, put down.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Gotta go full Churchill, invade Norway & Greece :getin:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

See now these two posts don't seem to add up because WitP is very much not fun to play.

He was comparing WITW to WITP, not the other game.

And you are wrong. :colbert:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

WitP is very much not fun to play.

If you don't find WITP fun then you will not find WITW fun. Also I'm very sorry for you.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, I played* WITP, I just wasn't sure if they were going to let you say, skip the invasion of Italy and try for a summer 1943 landing in Brittany or weird alt-history things like that or if it was more 'locked down'.

* Booted, pushed buttons, goggled in confusion, put down.

You can skip the invasion of Italy. You aren't forced to do anything if you don't want.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

Also one of those posts was about Command, and the other is about WITW. That is why the posts don't seem to add up.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Too bad it will cost enough to make purchase of a no-poo poo fighterplane a reasonable alternative.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Baloogan posted:

No wait for Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations. Its out on the 24th!

Announcement:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3396641

Product page:
http://matrixgames.com/products/483/details/Command:.Modern.Air/Naval.Operations

AAR you might want to read:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3392507

Am I shilling for this game:
Yes! Naval combat simulations deserve your support too! The world needs more naval combat simulations.

Yeah ok that looks like exactly what I want. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baloogan posted:

Skip Italian invasion

Cool. Kinda a shame the North African campaign isn't included. Maybe in an expansion.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fintilgin posted:

Cool. Kinda a shame the North African campaign isn't included. Maybe in an expansion.

It is in one of the planned expansions, who knows when it will come out though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fintilgin posted:

There will be a game on the pre-1943 period too. Eventually all of it and WitE will be combined into one giant game!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

Is War in the West a single grand campaign where you can choose to invade earlier or in different places or whatever, or is it a bunch of disconnected scenarios?

War in the West's official page says it's going to have 3 full campaigns and 7-9 smaller scenarios.

Based on my experience with Western Front, the 80s rendition of the same game, the 3 campaigns are probably going to be the full campaign from Sicily to Berlin 1943-1945, the full campaign but with variable landing zones, and a campaign starting from (one week before) D-Day up to Berlin.

The way it works is that there are something like "amphibious assault hexes" (my own term) that are one hex out from the coast. You assign units to these hexes, and then you can carry out an opposed landing the next turn. The Allied player gets a certain amount of "amphibious preparation points" (again my own term) to choose which amphibious assault hexes can be used, and which units will use them.

In a historical game, the Allied player is locked in to the hexes representing the IRL plans for Husky/Overlord/Anvil and changing which hexes to use is expensive enough that you can only make minor changes. In the ahistorical game, the player is given a lot more points to play with and can designate landings pretty much anywhere he wants.

The smaller scenarios are probably something like:
Sicily only
Sicily+Italy
Italy right before/immediately after the Anzio landings
Overlord to Berlin, without Italy
Cobra to Berlin, without Italy
Battle of the Bulge

(No, I'm not in the beta. These are all educated guesses, but I'm very confident that I'm pegging it close)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Nenonen posted:

There will be a game on the pre-1943 period too. Eventually all of it and WitE will be combined into one giant game!

I found War in the East to be far more fun/playable then the Pacific, so Poland 1939 -> Berlin 1945 in the engine sounds like a good time to me.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I believe it's called Hearts of Iron 3, the game you're referring to.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fintilgin posted:

I found War in the East to be far more fun/playable then the Pacific, so Poland 1939 -> Berlin 1945 in the engine sounds like a good time to me.

From what I understand they are trying to combine the undeniably superior land arm of WITE with the complex air arm of WITP. Not sure how that will work. Also not sure how they crammed so many hexes into an apparently smaller area. Did they make them finer?

Koesj posted:

You are a monster.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Only 45 minutes to resolve a turn in War in the Hemisphere (release 2019, "designed by" a senile Gary Grigsby).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You say it like that wouldn't be the most glorious thing in the world.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Like an abused spouse we always come back for more :suicide:

The first thing I noticed when I click that link is that the box art for World In Flames is a dick and balls.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Koesj posted:

I've got like, 8 zillion posts in the Paradox threads. You can't trick me.

(Also, I already own HOI3. :negative: )

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry been busy as hell will catch up Iran and Belgium tonight.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

gfanikf posted:

Just in time for my poo poo to hit the fan. I might not be able to respond until the weekend.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
So did the goon scourge of war game ever happen?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Unfortunately not.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gfanikf posted:

What game has you playing as Iran?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I have reinstalled Close Combat Cross of Iron and can be found most evenings (GMT) hanging out in Camping the Stairs if you want a game. Also contactable through Goonfleetswarmwaffe jabber services.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

How do I Tannenberg. I forgot the keyboard shortcut for "Do a Tannenberg"

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I believe the trick is taking a nap during the battle like Hindenburg.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

What game has you playing as Iran?

Steel Panthers II scenario.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
So the Operational Art of War III is on sale on Matrix Games this week, can anyone tell me about it? Recommendations?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's THE wargame for modeling pretty much any land-based conflict since the turn of the 20th Century. The base game already comes with a wealth of scenarios, although most are WWII in the various European theaters as well as Cold War-era real and hypothetical battles.

It's also fairly complex, with a combat system that's somewhere between pure IGOUGO and WEGO: Basically, you get to do all your non-combat moves, and then plot your attacks, and then execute them. If 1 turn is 1 day, then whether or not you still get to move after executing your combats depends on how much of the "day" was spent: If you order a large-scale attack with multiple units along a critical hex and the enemy's resistance is stiff, then perhaps the whole day is consumed right then and there and the turn immediately goes to the other side. Even if you caused a retreat, perhaps you were not able to exploit the breakthrough.

Ensuring that you get an exploitation phase necessitates that you either attack in places where the enemy is truly weak so that your turn is not consumed all at once, or that you have competent, professional troops who will maintain the initiative and will hand you back-to-back turns (an easy example of this is playing the Germans in Barbarossa scenarios)

It takes a lot of getting used to, but it's somewhat more realistic than the "time-warp" effects of pure IGOUGO systems, where an infantry division might spend all of it's action points conducting combat to create a break in the line, but the panzer division right behind it can still drive on through even if in terms of action-points-translating-to-time-passed, the infantry division only created the break as the sun was setting!

The game also models units down to individual squads and vehicles, and models supply, morale, "elan"/general proficiency, and readiness. The system works best in regimental-to-divisional scale battles, but there are of course grognards who have made scenarios as large as the entire Eastern Front, or even the entire European Theater, with mixed results.

The best thing about it is that you can fight a battle for almost any modern engagement you can think of (except naval battles that TOAW horribly sucks at), either from the prepackaged scenarios or by looking through the internet. Whether or not you can get into it depends on what other games you've had experience with. Another good thing I will point out is that the game will run on modern resolutions, and will run windowed, and will look decent while doing so:

That's the initial set-up of the Warsaw Pact player in the Fulda 1955 scenario, which depicts a Soviet invasion of West Germany. You can see some strong (14-13, 13-12, 13-7, 22-6) armored and mechanized formations right across the main roads heading into Fulda and points west. US forces are scattered and weak, but reinforcements will appear on the left-hand map edge soon enough.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its crap. The air defense model is poo poo.

Literally no air defense weapons work in the game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

Its crap. The air defense model is poo poo.

Literally no air defense weapons work in the game.

That was actually fixed by a dedicated fan:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3376085

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
1998 - 8/01/2013
AA weapons do not work.

8/01/2013-9/17/2013
AA weapons work.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Every one of these really complex wargame has had to deal with their own respective bugs, exploits and other gamey bullshit, including yes, War in the East (and don't get me started on the boatload of stuff you can pull in WITP), so I think you're being exceedingly harsh on TOAW for this one thing that, again, was already fixed.

If I were to level criticisms against TOAW, it would be that the naval combat model sucks (but does not matter if you're conducting the Battle of the Bulge), the user interface is pretty 90s and doesn't let you peek into all the "soft factors" to consider for combat all that easily, and the way the game deals with isolated/pocketed units is counter-intuitive.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

OPART is awesome, been playing it since version 1 back in the day.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Would anyone be up for a pbem of TOAW 3?

Also, gfanikf, where are you?

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010

ZachRyker posted:

i really wish they'd get around to actually doing a patch for CoG: Emperor's Edition, the current version has a bug where you don't get any feudal/bonus levies at all, nor do your protectorates levy any forces.

There is a patch that was in development for a really long time, but they decided to not release it when they were pressed for time to work on other projects and sales of cog:ee were disappointing. Maybe with the influx now they will revisit it. I guess I should go check the dev forum.

E: No activity in the cog:ee dev forum since July 2012.

vyshka fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 19, 2013

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
http://www.ageod.co.uk/news/1196/Civil.War.II.releases.on.the.151st.Anniversary.of.Antietam.with.the.Civil.War.Trust

AGEOD's released their sequal to American Civil War. I just found out at about it and haven't played it personally (have to finish up to GTA V and other stuff first) but thought I'd throw it out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I put down the $40 for this today and it's a little disappointing. So little has changed since the first one came out seven or eight years ago. Still, I can't think of a better ACW game of similar scale.