Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really don't expect a Wii U turnaround until Mario Kart if at all, but maybe I'll be surprised. I can't see how it'd get a big turnaround with the One AND PS4 on the market for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'd guess it's best hope is the 'confused parents taking the cheap option' market, not exactly where you want your new console to be positioned. Gonna be a whole lot of present-rage if that happens.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ImpAtom posted:

I really don't expect a Wii U turnaround until Mario Kart if at all, but maybe I'll be surprised. I can't see how it'd get a big turnaround with the One AND PS4 on the market for Christmas.

Well, it's a 1 year old console that people confuse with 5 year old console (due to the similar name), with no particularly attractive gimmick (ie a bad tablet), with a terrible marketing campaign, no big 3rd party releases available, no internet hype, sandwiched between the two biggest consoles' simultaneous launch since the last 6 years.

They DO have a new Super Mario 3D, and they're probably scrambling to release before Christmas, but for Nintendo, winter's looking loving bleak.

edit: I guess the Ocarina of Time HD remake in late october may move some units? Maybe?

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I think the only hope for a real turnaround is after Super Mario 3D world and Mario Kart. That said, I'll be curious to see how good these games are--I think Nintendo knows their console depends on those games, this year. Given that Nintendo has been pretty bad at making HD games come out on time, they may end up rushing these out the door a bit quicker than they'd want. I don't expect 3d World to be a very substantial game, certainly not as big as either of the Galaxy games, anyway.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Don Tacorleone posted:

edit: I guess the Ocarina of Time HD remake in late october may move some units? Maybe?

Pretty sure you mean Wind Waker HD, and even that's not gonna make a significant dent considering it's going to be a 60 dollar game.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

TaurusOxford posted:

Pretty sure you mean Wind Waker HD, and even that's not gonna make a significant dent considering it's going to be a 60 dollar game.

Yes, sorry, I meant WW. Well, it will be a bundle.

Also apparently they are working on a new Zelda, but since it was only mentioned in an interview with Iwata, it's probably a long ways off.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm the biggest Wii U skeptic ever, but I'm actually very interested in how this one sells. The first Wii brought in so many new gamers compared to the Gamecube. And unlike Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, Wind Waker right now is ONLY on Gamecube. That exclusivity keeps the game priced at around $40 even on Amazon and many places stopped selling Gamecube games outright years ago. So while on the one hand $59.99 is pretty high for an HD port of a ten year old game, on the other hand this probably will be a completely new game for many people.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm the biggest Wii U skeptic ever, but I'm actually very interested in how this one sells. The first Wii brought in so many new gamers compared to the Gamecube. And unlike Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, Wind Waker right now is ONLY on Gamecube. That exclusivity keeps the game priced at around $40 even on Amazon and many places stopped selling Gamecube games outright years ago. So while on the one hand $59.99 is pretty high for an HD port of a ten year old game, on the other hand this probably will be a completely new game for many people.

The main issue with this is the gamers that the Wii brought in don't care about the WiiU. It's been one of the biggest failings of the console.

Edit: vvv Yuuuup. Like with everything WiiU, Nintendo has no one to blame but themselves.

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 5, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

but anyway Nintendo should release Virtual Console on iOS and sell Earthbound for 5-10 dollars(but not really because piracy).
For the record I said that Nintendo should price their VC titles much cheaper, and that people often respond with "you can't put a price on a Nintendo game". I don't think Earthbound should be 5-10 dollars, it should be 1-2 dollars, like all of Nintendo's NES/SNES titles should be.

The rest of your argument is still based on "the lack of data means I'm right for some reason" so of course we'd disagree. My viewpoint is that a huge publisher like EA would have data that we don't and their response is to make F2P games. Is EA a-scared to publish a console quality game on iOS, or do they have people who have crunched the numbers and told them it's not worth it?

OatmealRaisin posted:

The main issue with this is the gamers that the Wii brought in don't care about the WiiU. It's been one of the biggest failings of the console.
Well who can blame them. Nintendo went from "Regular controllers are hard, right? Here's a natural motion controller!" with Wii to "Hey guys! Back to regular controllers!" with Wii U.

They would have been better off supporting third party tablets/phones or just syncing to a 3DS screen for the ultimate synergy. Or not doing any second screen poo poo at all and just making a beefier console with a different name that reflected their return to "hardcore gamer" interests.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 5, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

OatmealRaisin posted:

That's why I'm starting to feel it will do well though, any newcomers who to Wii who did get a Wii U will get it because it's a Zelda game they haven't played before. Nintendo die hards who got the Wii U are going to get it because it says Legend of Zelda on it. Seems like a pretty solid title to port.

Obviously this one game isn't a solution to Nintendo's many challenges with the Wii U but I think people are underestimating the kind of pull it will have.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Windwaker used is $30-$40 and new it's $90-$100 - and I thought the HD remake was $49.99?

Quest For Glory II posted:

For the record I said that Nintendo should price their VC titles much cheaper, and that people often respond with "you can't put a price on a Nintendo game". I don't think Earthbound should be 5-10 dollars, it should be 1-2 dollars, like all of Nintendo's NES/SNES titles should be.

You're right about this. They should be releasing these in huge spurts at IOS prices/cost in order to get people into their ecosystem. It's a giant treasure trove, and it's sitting there mostly unused.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ImpAtom posted:

There won't be a turn around if Mario Kart isn't due until Spring. They desperately need it this year to work as a trifecta with Mario 3D World and Wind Waker similar to how the 3DS's resurgence was due to Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and Monster Hunter in Japan. Without it, the WiiU will be suffocated by the PS4/XBONE release.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Louisgod posted:

There won't be a turn around if Mario Kart isn't due until Spring. They desperately need it this year to work as a trifecta with Mario 3D World and Wind Waker similar to how the 3DS's resurgence was due to Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and Monster Hunter in Japan. Without it, the WiiU will be suffocated by the PS4/XBONE release.

This is interesting too. Nintendo used to always rule the January~May time period. They had embraced the spring AAA release instead of dropping their biggest games in Summer/Fall like many other publishers would do. It actually worked really well for the DS, which had a sort of shaky first holiday launch, with everyone's eyes on the PSP, but the following spring they launched Kirby Canvas Curse, WarioWare and Mario Kart at the same time and that was the end (and of course the summer after that the DS Lite releasing in the US with NSMB at the same time basically solidified the DS name forever).

It was at one time praised as brilliant because it kept their releases from being suffocated by Sony/Microsoft hype, but I think they're just adhering too close to formula as usual. Mario Kart Wii was also an April release and there's no way they're going to rush this new one out for the holidays. I was at a conference recently where Nintendo was showing off 3D World/etc. and Mario Kart wasn't even mentioned, even Bayonetta 2 was on display and playable but no Mario Kart.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I think there will be a sales bump, but it's hard to imagine it being enough to consider it a turnaround.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Toady posted:

I think there will be a sales bump, but it's hard to imagine it being enough to consider it a turnaround.

It'd have to be a hell of a sales bump because even assuming 10-15% attrition rate on pre orders and literally nothing else you're looking at an overnight PS4 install base roughly 25% the size of the WiiU's install base.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Am I wrong in thinking that ease of piracy also contributed to the success of the Wii?

I mean its absurdly simple to hack.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Louisgod posted:

I saw a blurb a day or so ago saying the Wind Waker bundle at Gamestop sold out. How many would a store like that receive for pre-order sales usually? I'm unsure how many they'd have, considering poor sales right before it was announced.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that ease of piracy also contributed to the success of the Wii?

I mean its absurdly simple to hack.

I doubt even 1% of all Wii's were hacked. It might have helped sales of the system but it certainly wasn't the main success motivator or even a large chunk.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Don Tacorleone posted:

They DO have a new Super Mario 3D, and they're probably scrambling to release before Christmas, but for Nintendo, winter's looking loving bleak.

I have no idea how many units each Gamestop is getting, but the Wind Wake Bundle is selling out in North America. They could all be getting 5 units and this news would be pretty irrelevant though, but there is a demand for Wind Waker HD

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/wind-waker-limited-edition-selling-north-america/

If you like Nintendo IPs, they have a very solid line up through the end of the year. 3D World is scheduled for November

I don't think Nintendo would be intentionally dumb enough to delay Mario Kart 8 to 2014 just to fill a gap in the schedule.... but who knows. Game needs to come out quick.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is a price drop around the time of the PS4 and Xbone's release pretty unlikely? It seems like Wii U's costing almost as much as the PS4 will be even more bad news for Nintendo once the new systems are released.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Is a price drop around the time of the PS4 and Xbone's release pretty unlikely? It seems like Wii U's costing almost as much as the PS4 will be even more bad news for Nintendo once the new systems are released.

Starting in september its 300 bucks which is the price drop. So it'll go $300 Wiiu (250 for model you shouldn't buy), $400 PS4, $500 Bone.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's too bad they had to include the tablet. I'm guessing they could have knocked it down to $200 without it, which seems like more of an impuse buy/economy price point.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Barudak posted:

Starting in september its 300 bucks which is the price drop. So it'll go $300 Wiiu (250 for model you shouldn't buy), $400 PS4, $500 Bone.

There is no $250 model. The Basic has been eliminated.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

thefncrow posted:

There is no $250 model. The Basic has been eliminated.

No mark down for still existing Basic stock? Thats a bit of a poo poo proposition. For the same price, you can get the shittier model!

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Barudak posted:

No mark down for still existing Basic stock? Thats a bit of a poo poo proposition. For the same price, you can get the shittier model!

If I'm not misremembering, most major chains issued recall notices for all their Basic units in, like, mid-July.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

thefncrow posted:

If I'm not misremembering, most major chains issued recall notices for all their Basic units in, like, mid-July.

Wow. Thats good to know but man that is the saddest thing.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

NESguerilla posted:

It's too bad they had to include the tablet. I'm guessing they could have knocked it down to $200 without it, which seems like more of an impuse buy/economy price point.

And really $200 would make the whole proposition of buying it only for first party games far more palatable. Though at this point I'll just wait until it hits that price point whenever that may be.

I know its a long ways off. But I'm intensely curious how the Wii U's sales are going to influence Nintendo's design of the next console. Make it beefier and try to court third parties? Make it cheap but without a peripheral that shoots the price up? Or make another go at doing something unique and hope it's the Wii again?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think they can knock the price down multiple times in a 3 month period but they could at least increase the value proposition and include both Wind Waker/Mario 3D World/whatever AND Nintendoland AND Wii remotes, because seriously how much wii remote stock must they still be sitting on at this point? Just give it away, it doesn't matter.

It's still funny to me that Wii U was pitched on the premise of asymmetrical multiplayer, but there's no way to play multiplayer out of the box without buying an additional accessory.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

^^^^Or this. If you can't afford to bump the price down because the hardware costs too much to make include enough software to make the price tag more enticing.

Atomicated posted:

And really $200 would make the whole proposition of buying it only for first party games far more palatable. Though at this point I'll just wait until it hits that price point whenever that may be.

I know its a long ways off. But I'm intensely curious how the Wii U's sales are going to influence Nintendo's design of the next console. Make it beefier and try to court third parties? Make it cheap but without a peripheral that shoots the price up? Or make another go at doing something unique and hope it's the Wii again?

This is basically how I feel. If it was around $200 I would probably buy one since it's backwards compatible and will eventually have enough first party games to justify owning it at that price.

Comparing the Wii U to the 3DS, it seems like a major price drop would be the absolute BEST thing they could do to keep it afloat. poo poo, the 3DS practically got a second launch after that first big price drop.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I don't think they can knock the price down multiple times in a 3 month period but they could at least increase the value proposition and include both Wind Waker/Mario 3D World/whatever AND Nintendoland AND Wii remotes, because seriously how much wii remote stock must they still be sitting on at this point? Just give it away, it doesn't matter.

It's still funny to me that Wii U was pitched on the premise of asymmetrical multiplayer, but there's no way to play multiplayer out of the box without buying an additional accessory.

Adding more stuff doesn't matter, it's the psychology of dropping the price of the system. Adding 4 Wiimotes, a Gamepad and 5 games are not going to matter because the PS4 is only $100 more on the shelf.

The Wind Waker bundle is essentially a $250 system with a $50 game, but nobody sees it like that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This was actually something very smart they did with the 3DS over the 2012 holiday. GameStop and other retailers had it so if you got either type of 3DS (even the ones with a game pre-installed) you got two more games with it for free. They were middling ones like Steel Diver and Nintendogs+Cats but the basic "YOU GET THREE GAMES WHEN YOU BUY A 3DS" gave it a massive boost over the holiday. They need to do something like that with any first party stuff that isn't selling every year like 3DS Layton or Wii U Ninja Gaiden 3 or whatever.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Astro7x posted:

The Wind Waker bundle is essentially a $250 system with a $50 game, but nobody sees it like that.

Some people probably see it like that... however it's not exactly 1:1, since the copy of WW you get with the system is digital. Would probably get more buyers if it was physical and they could trade it, sell it, whatever if they didn't particularly care about Zelda but wanted a cheaper Wii U.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

NESguerilla posted:

The two bigger issues were designing the Wii U with a 40 watt power consumption limit and Wii backwards compatibility. If they didn't have these two restrictions then they could have designed it with a significantly more power and still included the tablet for the same price.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Some people probably see it like that... however it's not exactly 1:1, since the copy of WW you get with the system is digital. Would probably get more buyers if it was physical and they could trade it, sell it, whatever if they didn't particularly care about Zelda but wanted a cheaper Wii U.

I'm hesitant on the Zelda bundle because I know if anything were to happen to the WiiU I'd lose the game.

So it's like a $250 console with a $50 game, until it breaks and then it's just a $300 broken thing.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I've actually been feeling like Smash Brothers would cause a pretty big turnaround on the system. But I could be underestimating how many people buy up Mario Kart. The Mario Kart Wii bundle sold tons and tons of units didn't it? My friends who don't have a Wii U (all of them) are waiting on Smash Brothers so that's probably influencing my thinking a bit.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

OatmealRaisin posted:

I'm hesitant on the Zelda bundle because I know if anything were to happen to the WiiU I'd lose the game.

So it's like a $250 console with a $50 game, until it breaks and then it's just a $300 broken thing.

No biggie, when you get it replaced you can just sign into your account and redownload your g

oh

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

OatmealRaisin posted:

As I've said in the retro thread, if you can buy a game physical (and I'm talking console here, PC is a completely separate beast) then get it that way... Xbox Live and the original Xbox (and to some extent, 360) have shown us that consoles + digital content aren't exactly airtight.

vvv Sounds like a fun series of hoops involving faxing them insurance forms or police reports vvv

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Spiffo posted:

No biggie, when you get it replaced you can just sign into your account and redownload your g

oh

I'm pretty sure you can actually (get your stuff back anyway). Nintendo gives you eShop credit if your stuff falls apart is what I've always heard. The system transfer from Wii to Wii U was some bullshit though. Hard for Nintendo to refund you six years worth of saved games.

whaley fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 5, 2013

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Nonsense posted:

I saw a blurb a day or so ago saying the Wind Waker bundle at Gamestop sold out. How many would a store like that receive for pre-order sales usually? I'm unsure how many they'd have, considering poor sales right before it was announced.

I guess it depends on how much allocation each store received and how many pre-orders each store was willing to take. It's possible that Nintendo is sending the bulk of their WW bundles to retail stores like Wal-Mart and Target and have only given Gamestop a specific amount to sell but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Spiffo posted:

oh

I've heard that registering things to Club Nintendo and linking accounts will make your poo poo recoverable but the issue is that the default account system should guarantee this already with minimal fuss (Like confirming that you are you). The 3DS is in a worse spot because it doesn't' even have a proper account system.

• Locked thread