Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
A hundred tickets came in...

Any reason why 100 of our XP clients would all get corrupt security logs at the same time? None of said people can log in until I log as admin and clear Secevent.evt

Oddly it's a random third of our PCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I have an iPhone for a user that discharges completely with nothing running in < 1h. Is the Apple Store going to give me grief if I try and take a corporate device in that has someone else's name on it for service?

Uninstall every single app on the phone. Then test again.

:10bux: says it's an app that keeps something stupid running in the background.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

There's a discussion on out IT listserv about numerous issues with Optiplex 9010s. We only have one at our location and in two weeks it's gone through 4 hard drives and a motherboard. Others are reporting bluescreening out of box, failing to image, and throwing hundreds of nonexistent MAC addresses at switches and the DHCP server. Failure rates not seen since the days of the Optiplex 270. Anyone else have 9010s and have a similar disaster?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

evobatman posted:

"Our dedicated test servers will become the production environment at switchover". Am I right in being alarmed, or is this a thing that's done regularly?
Test -> Staging -> Production (3 DIFFERENT sets of machines) anything less than that and you're asking to be hosed. Depending on the level of system integration you may end up needing more than that (where your test servers have dummy i/o for all the external systems and the number of dummied systems drops as you get closer to your actual production systems) and devs shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with production systems EVER (unless you're working for a tiny startup, the sort of thing where everyone has to wear several hats)

That's a LEAVE THE JOB NOW sort of thing, especially if you're technical support, as my (perhaps paranoid) suspicion is that you've only been brought in to be a fall guy (this comes from experience)

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Dev->QA->UAT->Preprod ||| Production

||| should ideally be a physical separation, like running production on a different VM Infrastructure entirely.
In the age of cheap virtualization, there's no excuse for putting dev boxes directly into production. That poo poo makes my skin crawl.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
Dev environment? What's that? :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Walter_Sobchak posted:

It's just an alternate name for the production environment :colbert:

Like "parent class" versus "super class". Same poo poo, different name.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Walter_Sobchak posted:

even the contracted developers the client uses doesn't have a dev environment.. everything for this client is live!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

I have an iPhone for a user that discharges completely with nothing running in < 1h. Is the Apple Store going to give me grief if I try and take a corporate device in that has someone else's name on it for service?
What carrier is it? That's generally what matters. Is the bill being sent to the individual or the company? If it's a company phone then you should have someone who's authorized to manage billing and upgrades and account changes, they need to authorize you before you go to the store - although if they're at work and the number is listed on the account, you can have the store call them to ask for confirmation.. It's way, way easier to pre-authorize it, though.

If it's a personal phone with a bill being sent to the individual's home, gently caress 'em, they can go to the loving Apple Store themselves and get :jerkbag: around for a few rounds before they wipe the phone to factory settings and whatever problem app it was, is gone.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Delete the exchange account from the iphone, see if it discharges (it won't).

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

GWBBQ posted:

There's a discussion on out IT listserv about numerous issues with Optiplex 9010s. We only have one at our location and in two weeks it's gone through 4 hard drives and a motherboard. Others are reporting bluescreening out of box, failing to image, and throwing hundreds of nonexistent MAC addresses at switches and the DHCP server. Failure rates not seen since the days of the Optiplex 270. Anyone else have 9010s and have a similar disaster?

We have 9010's that we've slowly been rolling out to end users. So far no issues. We had issues with the 990's (hard drive firmware issue) and 960's (hard drives dying left and right, all of which are WD Blues).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It's a work-issued phone billed to the firm.

Brut posted:

Delete the exchange account from the iphone, see if it discharges (it won't).

I feel like this would be fun to do but is otherwise not a good idea.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Do you have a link to that annotated laptop?

I don't have a link to the post, but I do have the images.

This was done by one of the Marketing dudes as a prank on the Director of Marketing, who isn't computer illiterate but acts like he is. We've kept it like that. It's a loaner laptop, so we hand it out when we need to make someone laugh / cry.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 5, 2013

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's a work-issued phone billed to the firm.

I feel like this would be fun to do but is otherwise not a good idea.

He's actually serious - there was a huge bug in IOS and Exchange that would drain the battery if there was an Exchange account. Apple released an update just to help fix this issue. Recently MS also released some Exchange patches that did the same.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

deimos posted:

It's one of those "email fails to send further than 500 miles" kinda issues that until you see it (and haven't experienced/read about it before) you can't believe it.

This reminds me of an issue I had at one of my sites a loooong time ago:

We had a server closet that was basically a pile of network gear, a UPS and a (NetWare 4, god help me)server sitting in a (not so) converted storage closet. Randomly, once every few weeks, all of the devices would mysteriously reboot.

Shortly we realized that the UPS' batteries were dead, and that a power outage event was causing all the gear to power down. So we replaced the batteries and the issue went away, but I still wanted to know why the original power event was happening.

After months of struggling, collecting data points and performing various tests we established that the outage occurred only during business hours, and would occur roughly every three weeks with a range of one to four weeks between outages.

To make a long horribly frustrating story short, it turns out that a bracket supporting a power cable that ran over the top of the freight elevator shaft had come loose and a loop of cable was drooping into the shaft. When the elevator rose to the top floor ,the top of the elevator cage would gently push up the loop of cable relieving it of its tension. Over time, the application and release of tension on the cable caused an endpoint to fray so when the elevator pushed up on the cable there was a momentary short dropping power to the circuit.

It turns out that the top floor of the building was storage for the building and was seldom used, except for when the janitor ran out of supplies every few weeks. He would then take the elevator to the top floor of the building, shorting out the circuit, and retrieve his supplies for the next couple of weeks.

The janitor, the two electricians, the facilities guy and I went out for drinks that night when we finally discovered the issue. We all felt like we accomplished some serious detective work (and gave the electricians and the facilities guy a ton of poo poo for running an unsafe building). I mean, figuring the event happened maybe 15-18 times a year, it must have taken years for the wire to work loose like that.

Good times.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ahh corporate bureaucracy, never change.

Change 1 submitted yesterday: Shut down 1 Xen host, replace battery. Total affected VMs - 8.

Change 2 submitted today: Xen live-migration round-robin on 35 hosts affecting 300-ish VMs for OS, BIOS, iLO, and RAID firmware updates.

Change 1 - Waiting on approval, discussion in committee this afternoon.

Change 2 - Approved within 35 minutes, no discussion committee whatsoever.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

ookiimarukochan posted:

Test -> Staging -> Production (3 DIFFERENT sets of machines) anything less than that and you're asking to be hosed. Depending on the level of system integration you may end up needing more than that (where your test servers have dummy i/o for all the external systems and the number of dummied systems drops as you get closer to your actual production systems) and devs shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with production systems EVER (unless you're working for a tiny startup, the sort of thing where everyone has to wear several hats)

That's a LEAVE THE JOB NOW sort of thing, especially if you're technical support, as my (perhaps paranoid) suspicion is that you've only been brought in to be a fall guy (this comes from experience)

Oh hell yeah.

Run this scenario:
You go live and thus turn test into prod. Everbody rejoice.
A few days pass, data is entered, the system is officially business critical, rollback is not an option.
Bugs are discovered. Shock and horror.
Bugs are fixed.

Now where do you test the fixes?

That's right. You can't. It'll go downhill from there. :suicide:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

He's actually serious - there was a huge bug in IOS and Exchange that would drain the battery if there was an Exchange account. Apple released an update just to help fix this issue. Recently MS also released some Exchange patches that did the same.

Again/more recently? We were affected by that and patched the servers/updated the phones to correct it when it came out.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So one of my remote users has a notebook with a failing hard drive. I am setting up a temporary notebook for them to use until the replacement drive is configured and such. I also asked them to get me a list of any additional business critical software installed.

Office - No brainer, part of the base image.

Firefox. Chrome and IE. - This is actually OK. The provincial government has a handful of sites that they use. Some require IE 9, others are IE 8 required so we use Chrome and Firefox as various sites play better with different browsers, so several browsers is normal in this environment.

Google Earth - Actually completely legitimate for work purposes

Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader - Not sure why you need two PDF readers.. but ok

Skype ( listed twice ) - Uhhh...

Winamp ( listed three times ) - How is this business critical? Is it 1997 again?

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 5, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I....I still use Winamp.

:ohdear:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I will never give up my Nucleo_Nlog_v2G skin. :froggonk::hf::froggonk:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sirotan posted:

I....I still use Winamp.

I used Winamp for at least a decade, it was great for running karaoke systems and djing back in the day. That llama's rear end must be so far beyond sore by now though...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

I am sick and loving tired of printer issues. What in the gently caress makes you think it's okay for a Business Inkjet 2800 to use the loving driver for a loving Color Inkjet cp1700?

I found a ~secret driver~ on HP's ftp site, from HP's support forums, from a bunch of people who were having the same issues we were having, but we can't use that driver because it might be a "local only" driver, which won't work unless the printer is connected via USB. What in the gently caress
Thank god one of the affected users has local admin rights, because I was able to install the printer driver on his computer and now he's able to print in both color AND in 11x17. It is completely unexpected that the correct drivers for this printer are able to make the printer function as advertised!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Sirotan posted:

I....I still use Winamp.

Hey fair enough.. everyone I know personally switched to VLC years ago. It turned into an in joke with some of my friends "You use Winamp? Nice! Want my ICQ number?" type of thing.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 5, 2013

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I....I still use Winamp.

Well, it really does whip the llama's rear end.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

Hey fair enough.. everyone I know personally switched to VLC years ago. It turned into an in joke with some of my friends "You use Winamp? Nice! Want my ICQ number?" type of thing.

Thanks to Trillian, I'm still logged in to my old 7-digit ICQ number!

...nobody ever contacts me on it :(

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Was asked to find out if some new starters had had their user accounts set up. One of them was called "Boner". First initial "A".

Hold on I'll check...

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I logged into my ICQ a few years ago just for kicks..

I got spammed by bots linking their "Hey want to help me test my webcam teehee" links

Edit: Out of curiosity I logged into my ICQ again just to see if it was still around.. apparently it is an I have 4 friends online :wtf:

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 5, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Mine got taken by Russian hackers years ago. They somehow knew my expired Hotmail account name -- re-registered it, and ICQ would allow you to reset your password to any email account that had ever been associated with it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ahh India divisions, never change:

quote:

HI Team :

VDi very slow I am not able to do my work continually on my vd . kindly do the needfull !

bELOW ARE THE USER' DETAILS :

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I still use winamp 2.97, everything after 3 when AOL bought them was poo poo.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

rscott posted:

I still use winamp 2.97, everything after 3 when AOL bought them was poo poo.

We'll call it Winamp 5 because it's 3+2! :haw:

Really 5 was an improvement over 3, but there's still not much reason to use anything other than 2.X unless you like ugly freeform skins.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

wa27 posted:

there's still not much reason to use anything other than foobar2000

FTFY.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pyroclastic posted:

She wants them facing a certain way, and wants them in 4 rows of 4 tables (2 computers per table), with walkways around all sides, including the front of the room. Her teaching podium in the middle with a projector.

I get requests like this fairly common, and always get to say no. Fire marshals here would flip their poo poo with the kind of tripping hazard that would cause, once you factor in power/network cords running along the floor. Fire code regulations are serious things in school environments here.

Not sure what libertarian wasteland you're from, but I can't imagine it's too different.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Sirotan posted:

I....I still use Winamp.

They will take Winamp from my cold, dead hands.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Winamp is awesome. I use iTunes to manage my library, but when I actually listen to something I just export the smart playlist to m3u, and fire up the lama whipper. It plays a hell of a lot better than iTunes does with my media keys and full screen applications too.

Anyone remember Sonique? Had some sweet visualizers...

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
I use winamp for 3 reasons: easily configurable and arbitrary global hotkeys, nice full-featured tiny mode that can be set to always on top, and comes with milkdrop2.

If there's anything demonstrably better that does those 3 things I'd be happy to switch. Otherwise I'm not sure why it's a target of such ridicule.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I still use WinAmp because I'm a Luddite. I have WinAmp and my Sonos system playing music off FLAC files on my Synology box, and Perl scripts that convert the FLAC files to AAC and automatically load them into my iTunes library, and another set of Perl scripts that export the WinAmp playlists into a directory on the Synology (so Sonos can import them) and load them into iTunes. Changing music players would force me to rewrite the playlist stuff.

I pondered switching from FLAC to Apple Lossless and having iTunes convert to AAC for my iPods and iPad but I am too audio snobby for iTunes' internal conversion options to satisfy me, so I travel my lonely road in a cloud of my own smug and horrible Perl code.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use Spotify and Promoe which can use winamp 2.x skins. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Cant find the "poo poo that pisses you off" thread, so posting here.

We've had 12 Optiplex 790's with power supplies that have blown. These were all purchased a year ago, and are in our offices all over the state.

Anyone else having any similar problems with 790s? We have 90 of them, dont know what the deal is.

• Locked thread