Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

Skinny King Pimp posted:

We have liberal arts degrees... ...can't find jobs.

I'm seeing a pattern here. Usually people with liberal art degrees who want to work, go back and teach it. The few people I know with LA degrees are all working as cashiers and waiters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Kasan posted:

I'm seeing a pattern here. Usually people with liberal art degrees who want to work, go back and teach it. The few people I know with LA degrees are all working as cashiers and waiters.

Of all the possible places to rehash this "debate", this is clearly the most fitting.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Kasan posted:

I was about to say, i'm not trying to be an rear end to all of you but i graduated and was tripping over jobs, and i was by no means the best student.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It really depends where you live.

One sure fire way to get a job is to move to Alaska and work at a cannery. They'll hire anyone!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

AcidRonin posted:

I was about to say, i'm not trying to be an rear end to all of you but i graduated and was tripping over jobs, and i was by no means the best student.

Clearly your situation is common and all of the news over the past five years about how difficult it is to find a job right now is a bunch of scaremongering from the media trying to drive their numbers up, right?

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Geoj posted:

Clearly your situation is common and all of the news over the past five years about how difficult it is to find a job right now is a bunch of scaremongering from the media trying to drive their numbers up, right?

It's extremely difficult to find a job right now.

Paying upwards of $64,000 per year (e.g. Harvard tuition) to get a degree in what you love with no thought to how you'll support yourself or your family on it is not doing yourself any favors. The Baby Boomer days of underwater basketweaving degree == solid fulltime job aren't here. It is bad blanket advice for everyone to attend college just to get a whatever degree because holy poo poo the COST IS NOT WORTH IT ANYMORE AND NOBODY CAN PREDICT WHAT DEGREES WILL BE VALUABLE

learn a trade, stop paying student loans, burn America, salt the ashes, etc etc.

(I'm ranting at the student loan industry and the baby boomer entitlement, not at kids or liberal arts majors)

Benny has done good work at finding jobs. He's just not done well at keeping them.

I second the notion, Benny, that you could consider letting the meds "settle" - a couple of months, at least - before you go out searching again.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Benny has done good work at finding jobs. He's just not done well at keeping them.

I second the notion, Benny, that you could consider letting the meds "settle" - a couple of months, at least - before you go out searching again.

The only reason I'm loathe to recommend this is because, when you lose momentum in something like a job search, it can be hard as hell to find the motivation to get it back.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Switchback posted:

One of my first jobs was a bit scammy. PIRG: Public Interest Research Group. "Summer jobs for the environment!!" they said. It was going door-to-door asking for money, and we had quotas to meet. I lasted less than two weeks. But it taught me about work and how to play the game and I got perspective on what a lovely job looks like.

Who cares if the recycling gig is bullshit, go work for a week or two! There is nothing to lose here, and you might learn a little about yourself/work/other people, or at least meet some friends in your same situation.

This is great advice for someone who has no experience and nothing to lose.

As long as you don't give them any money, you could at least go about it, with the mentality of knowing its a scam.

It's absolutely possible to hustle for an MLM. They'll probably screw you once or twice, but that's not the point.

Benny, if you learned how to hustle just a little bit, I guarantee your confidence level would triple.

Going door to door and actually being able to sell some lovely vacuum or flimsy kitchen knives is a skill. If you can become confident enough to sell people garbage, think about how good you can be in a legitimate position.

I don't think you have the balls to have the door slammed in your face 100x before your actually successful, but I'd also like you to prove me wrong.

Don't even give a poo poo about the illegitimacy of it all. You live in a country full of scamy bullshit. If your not gonna take people's money, someone else will.

I'm sure your clueless about sales. Now is the chance to learn that once the customer says "I don't believe it. There's no way that thing would work and I'm not gonna buy it." They've already taken the bait

"We'll, sir. With all due respect, I think I can prove you wrong!"

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

docbeard posted:

The only reason I'm loathe to recommend this is because, when you lose momentum in something like a job search, it can be hard as hell to find the motivation to get it back.

That and there's never going to be a perfect time to start searching for jobs. Therapy is an ongoing process, and the last thing Benny needs is more excuses not to do a thing. Keeping active and engaged is important.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
I have an underwater basket weaving degree and I'm working at Goldman Sachs

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

gently caress da Mods posted:

I have an underwater basket weaving degree and I'm working at Goldman Sachs

Someone has to empty the wastebaskets, I suppose.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Sir John Falstaff posted:

If the janitor shreds the papers, the CEO's not the one destroying evidence :smug:

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

Skinny King Pimp posted:

I have a BA in German and I have clerical experience and good references. I was just trying to get a bullshit office job as a receptionist or filing clerk or something like that. Nothing fancy. My husband has an MA in German and is applying to office jobs at German multinationals and anything else he can find through the German American Chamber of Commerce. The former president of the GACC and the head of compliance at Daimler have his resume through a friend of ours who works with both of them. He has clerical and construction/electrical experience (what he's doing right now) along with his teaching assistantship while he was in graduate school. Both of our degrees are from an R1 university with a respectable German department. We have both stayed at our different jobs for relatively long periods of time and have good reasons for leaving them - moving, going back to school, getting a better job, etc.

It's really hard to even get an interview most of the time, trust me.

e: I should add that he's fine with the job he has now while he waits for an interview and it more than pays the bills. I'm back in school for a science degree so I can get a research position in industry. This isn't a post asking for advice or anything like that, just illustrating that it's not just "jesus, you have a degree, why don't you have a job yet?"

Neither of you have marketable skills, so it should come as no surprise that you two aren't getting interviews or job offers.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

Sir John Falstaff posted:

No you smug gently caress I make baskets for Goldman Sachs.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
I wonder how many nerds who whine about liberal arts degrees invest their free time into unhealthy amounts of terrible TV/movies/comics/action figures/whatever that need set designers and writers etc.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gently caress da Mods posted:

No you smug gently caress I make baskets for Goldman Sachs.

Underwater?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

the runs formula posted:

Neither of you have marketable skills, so it should come as no surprise that you two aren't getting interviews or job offers.

Clerical experience is absolutely a marketable skill, and so is construction experience. The problem is that there are lots of other out-of-work people/people who don't like their current jobs (SKP and spouse both have jobs, I think) with the same skills at the moment.

The German thing may pan out for him in the longer run as well, it might just take a while.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

I am OK posted:

I wonder how many nerds who whine about liberal arts degrees invest their free time into unhealthy amounts of terrible TV/movies/comics/action figures/whatever that need set designers and writers etc.

Clearly not enough to raise the demand for such skills.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Clerical experience is absolutely a marketable skill, and so is construction experience. The problem is that there are lots of other out-of-work people/people who don't like their current jobs (SKP and spouse both have jobs, I think) with the same skills at the moment.

The German thing may pan out for him in the longer run as well, it might just take a while.
There's a mental disconnect here: marketable isn't just about a skill being useful. Being able to speak fluent English in the United States is extremely useful, but by itself isn't marketable, because so does everyone else who grew up here (and a fair portion of the immigrants). Marketability is usefulness + being in-demand (supply:demand ratio) + provability.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Cicero posted:

There's a mental disconnect here: marketable isn't just about a skill being useful. Being able to speak fluent English in the United States is extremely useful, but by itself isn't marketable, because so does everyone else who grew up here (and a fair portion of the immigrants). Marketability is usefulness + being in-demand (supply:demand ratio) + provability.

Actually, being proficient in German and having experience around paper machines and with office work is pretty loving marketable.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Actually, being proficient in German and having experience around paper machines and with office work is pretty loving marketable.

Demand includes location. Being an experienced dock operator with 20 years experience won't help you get a job in Podunk, Kansas. Being German bilingual is useful, yes, but only in certain specific markets.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

I am OK posted:

If you stop and think about it, even those things need way more non-liberal arts majors to get to the consumer.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Ursine Asylum posted:

Demand includes location. Being an experienced dock operator with 20 years experience won't help you get a job in Podunk, Kansas. Being German bilingual is useful, yes, but only in certain specific markets.

We're in a good area for it, and on top of that, we don't mind relocating to a certain extent. It's just incredibly hard to even get an interview without knowing people. Hopefully getting his resume into the hands of some people who can do something with it will help, but we're just waiting it out in the meantime. Hopefully something comes through before too long so I can actually see him during the week.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Keep telling yourself that. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but fax and copy machines in the U.S. aren't dependent upon their users' ability to speak German.

the runs formula fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 6, 2013

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
We've dealt with these companies and know what they're looking for. He's not just going oh tra la la Porsche is sure to hire me; he does know something about the market he's getting into and the businesses he's applying to. It's just very hard to get an interview without an in, and sometimes it's hard even then, which was the point I was trying to make.

e: I have got to remember that posting anything remotely personal never ends well.

Skinny King Pimp fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 6, 2013

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Skinny King Pimp posted:

If it's pretry loving marketable, why are you having difficulties getting interviews? Marketable doesn't just mean a good or rare or highly trained skill; it means a skill for which there's a robust market.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Shut up I thought another Benny bomb dropped when I saw all the new replies!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Toriori posted:

Benny is going to learn German.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
step one: Learn German
step two: learn how to use fax machine menus speedily
step three: go to Home Depot Pro Desk, sneak behind counter, change setting to German

Not sure how you can profit off this just yet, I may need a kickstarter to figure that out.

edit: probably not going to work too well in Amish Country, so try to avoid eastern PA.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
Learn German
Go to Kinko's
Change all fax and copy machine settings to German
Apply for job

Benny, you can do this.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Can you set fax machines to do the exact opposite of what you tell them to? Because that's the setting Benny needs.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Toriori posted:

Well I did have an interview with Staples today. I had to spin getting terminated from Target (they're next door to each other: go figure). So I said to her "I take full responsibility the incident and make no excuses. This was a learning experience: I learned that working in retail is a team effort and I shouldn't be afraid to ask for help." I had to think of that on the spot but I knew that I had to spin it so that it was a "learning experience". The manager said that they'd give me a call for a second interview but I doubt it.

Oh and I got an email from City of Chino about the typist position: they decided not to interview me :smith: That was seriously my dream job.

EDIT: I did not put down I was terminated from Target on my Staples application: I just put down the job and the store number and said that I was laid off. They called Target and asked, apparently.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 6, 2013

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Benny the Snake posted:

EDIT: I did not put down I was terminated from Target on my Staples application: I just put down the job and the store number and said that I was laid off. They called Target and asked, apparently.

You worked there for 2 months and got fired.. why would you even include it on your resume?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

superv0zz posted:

You worked there for 2 months and got fired.. why would you even include it on your resume?
To show that I have retail experience.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

superv0zz posted:

A layoff is very different from a termination. I hope your answer was very, very honest and earnest because they caught you in a lie :/

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

adventure in the sandbox posted:

A layoff is very different from a termination. I hope your answer was very, very honest and earnest because they caught you in a lie :/
Yes it was. Well, I did leave out how I played dumb when they asked me if I remembered hitting a car.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Cicero posted:

That's a more narrow definition of "marketable skill" than I was taught, but I see your point. I was thinking of "marketable skill" as "a specific skill in demand in the marketplace"---doing Excel spreadsheets, for example, is a specific skill requested in many job postings, but the challenge is that lots of other applicants also have that specific skill. Similarly, writing code in Java is a specific skill requested by the market, but I know people who can do that who can't find new jobs because so many people know how to do that.

Benny, on the other hand, doesn't have any specific skills job postings are likely to request, except I suppose "able to type more than 60 words a minute" and "able to lift more than 25 pounds".

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Benny the Snake posted:

Yes it was. Well, I did leave out how I played dumb when they asked me if I remembered hitting a car.
It's definitely a bad sign that the interviewer asked about specific events.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Even though employers technically can say whatever they want when they get a reference check, most don't because of the legal quagmire that can ensue if it can be proven you didn't get the job because of something they said. Most companies today have a policy of just confirming dates of employment.

So basically, either leave it off your resume entirely, or else claim that you had a family emergency and couldn't get time off and you had to quit against your wishes (do the former, nobody is going to give two fucks about your experience with two months as a cart wrangler.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Geoj posted:

Even though employers technically can say whatever they want when they get a reference check, most don't because of the legal quagmire that can ensue if it can be proven you didn't get the job because of something they said. Most companies today have a policy of just confirming dates of employment.

So basically, either leave it off your resume entirely, or else claim that you had a family emergency and couldn't get time off and you had to quit against your wishes (do the former, nobody is going to give two fucks about your experience with two months as a cart wrangler.)
I'll do that in the future. Thanks for the advice :tipshat:

• Locked thread