Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
2 weeks ago I did a 10 gallon batch of chinook pale ale, split it, and fermented half with my house culture (West Coast) and half with some Heady Topper yeast I got from a homebrew club buddy.

Final gravs were 1.004 and 1.012 respectively. That's the first beer I've had finish above 1.010 ... possibly ever? So that's pretty exciting.

Can't wait to see how the Conan side brightens up once it's done with the dryhop and carbing up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

BrianBoitano posted:

Always enjoyed the idea of homebrew and just had fun setting this guy up:

A couple of things went awry, and I wanted to know what y'all thought about them:
1. I forgot to add the honey and sugar until after I chilled the boil down to 70° and pitched the yeast, so I skimmed ~3 cups off, heated it up in a microwave, and dissolved as much as I could, but the rock candy sugar was still mostly undissolved. Should I add fine sugar or honey if it stops bubbling early?

2. I stuck the blow-off tube too far in, and a lot of yeasty foam blew out overnight. Should I take the tube off and sanitize it or leave it, since it's not really taking anything in from the outside world?

3. I'm planning on bottling in these bottles, since it's the only thing I enjoy in easily-resealed bottles. Any problem with bottling in 750 ml bottles, besides them going flat quickly?

Thanks!

It will probably taste off, but as long as you got it in there, you're probably fine. You will need to karmacally atone for the microwave murder of a few million yeast cells, though.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Also, there is nothing wrong with bottling in 750 ml bottles, however there is something wrong with bottling in clear bottles. UV light degrades hop aroma almost instantly, which results in that "skunky" flavor. Bottle in brown glass if at all possible.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Tweek posted:

Prior to heading to the hospital, fill your carboy up with water and dump a dishwasher tab or some oxyclean and be less embarrassed about how you keep your equipment. Even if it doesn't take it to, "clean" it should at least take it from, "gross" to, "stubborn".

You take it to the cart washer for straggly bits and to put the "shine" on it. Do you not wash your hands before you go to the manicurist? Do you not throw out at least a couple of accumulated fast-food bags before taking your car to the auto-mechanic?

Were you really going to take it to this public machine without a preliminary cleaning to take it from, "gross" to, "presentable"?

I am really, truly sorry if I am coming off as a dick. I am in many ways no saint to sanitation, and I may well be completely misreading details. Even if I'm not, You Do You. The whole idea of letting the public see any of my equipment while it can still be considered, "filthy" though just strikes me as passing by the FOH without minimum flipping your apron to the less-dirty side as a matter or course.

Regardless, I bet your carboys will look cool-as-poo poo going through that machine which I now realize mid-sentence is probably not see-through.

:(,
Balls.

Cart washers and instrument washers usually have clear glass doors or windows.

To the dude looking to wash his equipment in the hospital.

If you have access to one, or know somebody at a facility that has one, Getinge has a cart washer that has been certified to wash instrumentation, that is personally how I would do my carboys if I could.
I wouldn't run my gear through z cart washer if the machine is more than 8 years old, most of the older ones don't have a disinfection phase and they reuse wash water, and in some cases rinse water.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mikey Purp posted:

Also, there is nothing wrong with bottling in 750 ml bottles, however there is something wrong with bottling in clear bottles. UV light degrades hop aroma almost instantly, which results in that "skunky" flavor. Bottle in brown glass if at all possible.

It isn't that fast of a reaction. If he stores the bottles in a dark place, he should be fine. I agree clear bottles aren't the best but I've bottled in clear bottles and it has been fine in the past. You just have to be a little more careful.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Are those bottles meant to hold pressure (ie something carbonated)? They don't look like it, which could lead to glass failure and bottle bombs once the beer is bottle carbed.

The only wine-sized bottles it is a good idea to carbonate in are champagne bottles, because they are designed to hold pressure.

Edit: Apparently, Lorina is a sparkling beverage, so you should be fine. Those bottles are a good score!

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 5, 2013

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Shbobdb posted:

It isn't that fast of a reaction. If he stores the bottles in a dark place, he should be fine. I agree clear bottles aren't the best but I've bottled in clear bottles and it has been fine in the past. You just have to be a little more careful.

If your beer is hoppy and gets directly into UV light it can skunk in 30 seconds.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

bengy81 posted:

Cart washers and instrument washers usually have clear glass doors or windows.

To the dude looking to wash his equipment in the hospital.

If you have access to one, or know somebody at a facility that has one, Getinge has a cart washer that has been certified to wash instrumentation, that is personally how I would do my carboys if I could.
I wouldn't run my gear through z cart washer if the machine is more than 8 years old, most of the older ones don't have a disinfection phase and they reuse wash water, and in some cases rinse water.

I actually work in sterile processing at a hospital. I doubt I ever will bring my stuff in for cleaning, but I may run my bucket through a sterrad as it rarely gets more then a rinse and some starsan shaken around in it. It was mostly idle speculation for :science: and the thread

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Josh Wow posted:

If your beer is hoppy and gets directly into UV light it can skunk in 30 seconds.

I'm paranoid about this because I brew outside in direct sunlight but I've never had skunky wort. Yet I've tested this and had skunky (finished) IPA in about 2 minutes.

:iiam:

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 5, 2013

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

fullroundaction posted:

I'm paranoid about this because I brew outside in direct sunlight but I've never had skunky wort. Yet I've tested this and had skunky (finished) IPA in about 2 minutes.

:iiam:

I've read it has something to do with compounds yeast create when fed with hopped wort so brewing outside in direct sunlight isn't a problem.

edit: Apparently there must be sulfur present for the reaction to occur which makes sense considering the smell.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

internet celebrity posted:

I've read it has something to do with compounds yeast create when fed with hopped wort so brewing outside in direct sunlight isn't a problem.

edit: Apparently there must be sulfur present for the reaction to occur which makes sense considering the smell.

Oh cool, that makes me feel better. I assumed it had to take place after fermentation since I've never heard anyone say "DON'T BREW OUTSIDE".

I wonder if anyone has made a beer based around the skunk profile on purpose (of course someone has :homebrewtalk:)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you give someone a Corona or Heineken that isn't skunked they will be like "Eww what is wrong with this."

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Discomancer posted:

Not at all, but it depends on what you're using--if you can do a partial mash you'll get all the benefit of mash-only grains without having to worry too much about efficiency.

internet celebrity posted:

Are you talking partial-mash or extract and steeping grains? I don't know how well an extract + steeping grain batch would turn out but I made a pretty good partial mash RIS last year.

Jo3sh posted:

Nope, not insane at all. RIS is an awesome style and you should brew one whenever you get the itch. My last RIS was effectively partial mash because it had so much candi syrup in it. In short, do it.

Docjowles posted:

For what it's worth, an RIS was probably the best extract beer I ever made. It was something out of Papazian's book (Planet Stout or something like that, if you happen to have a copy). I actually think an imperial stout is a pretty good candidate for extract or partial mash, given the difficulty of cramming 1.100 or whatever worth of malt into a typical mash tun. It's not a style defined by delicate pilsner malt flavors or crazy 4-step mashes or anything that demands all-grain. Just remember to pitch a massive starter and go easy on the crystal malts since extract worts are often a bit less fermentable than all-grain.

Thanks guys. I suppose I could do partial mash in a bag kind of thing. Ideally, I'd want that strong, boozy, sweet-without-being-southern-tier thing that Hoppin' Frog's stouts have. Or for the UK people, Kernel's Imperial Brown Stout. Definite hop presence but letting the malts and the darkness and the warmth do the talking. Thanks for the encouragement.

Now to just come up with a malt bill.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Kaiho posted:

Hoppin' Frog

Oooohhh, I have a bottle of DORIS in my fridge. Can't wait to drink it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Josh Wow posted:

Note all the qualifiers there. I drank DIPAs from a clear glass outside all the time. Even in full sunlight, the beer doesn't start to get skunky until it is almost done.

People sperg about beer way too much. Is it better to store in dark bottles? Absolutely. But with precautions clear, blue or green bottles work just fine. Don't put it near blacklights. Don't store it outside in the sun. But that is common sense.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Here's an IPA (Imperial Pumpkin Ale) I've been figuring out. What do you guys think?

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/le-poison-de-dylan-ipa-imperial-pumpkin-ale

The name is for a brew-club member who hates pumpkin beer. And the french cause it was going to be a saison and decided against it.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Josh Wow posted:

Confirming this. When I went to the Siebel Institute, we compared samples of Corona that had been sitting inside a sealed cardboard box to bottles that sat under a UV light for 60 seconds. The difference was enormous.

You can't really skunk beer during the brewing process, because skunking requires a) isomerized alpha acids, which are only present after the hops have been boiled in wort, and b) riboflavin, which is a yeast byproduct and only present during/after fermentation.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Ubik posted:

Confirming this. When I went to the Siebel Institute, we compared samples of Corona that had been sitting inside a sealed cardboard box to bottles that sat under a UV light for 60 seconds. The difference was enormous.

You can't really skunk beer during the brewing process, because skunking requires a) isomerized alpha acids, which are only present after the hops have been boiled in wort, and b) riboflavin, which is a yeast byproduct and only present during/after fermentation.

Now what can be added to beer thats flavorless and will remove Riboflavin? SKUNKLESS BEER :ducksiren:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Shbobdb posted:

Note all the qualifiers there. I drank DIPAs from a clear glass outside all the time. Even in full sunlight, the beer doesn't start to get skunky until it is almost done.

People sperg about beer way too much. Is it better to store in dark bottles? Absolutely. But with precautions clear, blue or green bottles work just fine. Don't put it near blacklights. Don't store it outside in the sun. But that is common sense.

All the qualifiers of it needing to be somewhat hoppy and needing to hit UV light? That's just the two things that cause skunking. Yes, a less hoppy beer will take longer for noticeable skunking to occur since there's less iso alpha acids in the beer in the first place. If you have a DIPA in a pint glass in direct sunlight for a minute and don't notice the skunkiness either you're not paying attention/looking for it or you're just really bad at noticing it. I don't mean that in a negative way since everyone is more/less sensitive to certain off flavors than others, but that doesn't mean you should say bottling in clear bottles is ok just because you aren't that receptive to the off flavors it can create.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Now what can be added to beer thats flavorless and will remove Riboflavin? SKUNKLESS BEER :ducksiren:

It's called tetra iso-extract and I'm pretty sure a lot of the big guys use it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I remember hearing that on a brewery tour that once Corona started canning their beer they had to artificially skunk it with UV light because their customers were complaining it tasted funny.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

nosleep posted:

It's a dual temperature controller and is able to operate a cooling and heat source, but for my purposes I probably really only need it to turn the freezer on above 55 and turn it off when it reaches temp. Can I just wire it like the guy on this site and use an extension cord and only connect the "cool" side?

Secondly, I've seen some conflicting comments on this as far as safety. Some have said the compressor of some older freezers draw too much power and would blow something out. Also, some people make it seem like if you wire it up wrong you'll burn your house down. I don't want to use this thing and worry all the time that I'm gonna have an electrical fire burn my house to the ground. On the other hand, if it's safe enough I wouldn't mind using it as a little learning experience and save some money at the same time.

1. Yeah, you'll just have no wires attached to the parts of the controller that would deal with supplying power to a heating element. The controller will work fine. It'll still try to turn on the heating element it doesn't have, but nothing will happen and that's fine.

2. I don't think I'd worry too much about current unless you've got a freezer that pulls serious amperage. I wired our old 20cf freon-containing beast of a freezer to one of these with a fuse. It blows 6A slow blow fuses, but not 8A fast blow. Controller seems to be able to handle the current fine, although it can get a bit warm in an enclosure. I wired our much smaller 7cf keezer with power output from the controller to the freezer through a 10 amp GFI outlet. I'm happier with that arrangement.

Safety-wise, treat it like you're wiring an outlet in your house, because you basically are. Check your work and have a buddy who knows what he's doing look at it as well.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 5, 2013

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Syrinxx posted:

Austin Homebrew has a Pecan Brown Ale that seems like it could have potential for the holidays. Has anyone ever made a similar ale? Do nuts belong in beer?
Do you actually live in Austin? If so, how have not had 512's Pecan Porter? It's one of my favorite local beers. It's a solid porter, and the nutty, pecan aftertaste definitely comes out. I'm not sure you'd totally be able to identify it as pecan if you weren't told ahead of time, but it definitely is a unique, nutty flavor that comes out in the aftertaste.

I've talked to the head brewer, and they use, well, a lot of pecans (I'm sworn to secrecy about the exact amount). He also spends a lot of time chopping and grinding them to maximize flavor extraction.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

2. I stuck the blow-off tube too far in, and a lot of yeasty foam blew out overnight. Should I take the tube off and sanitize it or leave it, since it's not really taking anything in from the outside world?

Thanks!

Shoot. It's day 3 and there was no bubbling whatsoever. I realized that the "foam" that I thought was on top must have been yeast, which was now stuck in the neck of the fermenter, not touching the liquid at all.

I gave it a shake and it's bubbling now, but it's clear that the material that was lost out of the tube was indeed yeast and that means a good portion has been lost.

Should I let it run its course? I could think of a couple of ways to attempt to fix this, but perhaps it will do fine the way it is?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I remember a month or two back someone in the Philadelphia area posting that they were interested in making mead, so I wanted to make sure I came back to this thread and posted for all in the region that Philadelphia's 4th annual Honey Fest starts tomorrow. I have been with the guild, keeping bees and spoken at the last 3 Honey Fests on different topics. This Saturday at the Wyck Historic House and Garden in Germantown I will be giving a mead making demo at 11 for would be brewers and then leading a mead tasting event that starts at 12:30 for those interested. I was able to talk to and get Michael Manning, one of the founders of The Colony Meadery to give tips and tasting critiques for the mead sharing portion. Full schedule is here: http://phillyhoneyfest.com/schedule/2013-saturday/

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

BrianBoitano posted:

Shoot. It's day 3 and there was no bubbling whatsoever. I realized that the "foam" that I thought was on top must have been yeast, which was now stuck in the neck of the fermenter, not touching the liquid at all.

I gave it a shake and it's bubbling now, but it's clear that the material that was lost out of the tube was indeed yeast and that means a good portion has been lost.

Should I let it run its course? I could think of a couple of ways to attempt to fix this, but perhaps it will do fine the way it is?

I'd guess there is a 99.9% chance your beer is fine. There is nothing to fix except wait a few more days (maybe).
E: To clarify some more. Three days in most beers will already be slowing down in fermentation. ESPECIALLY if you had some blow-off, its probably finishing up and you'll stop seeing activity. I probably stop seeing bubbles through the airlock after 2-3 days for most normal beers.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 5, 2013

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Imaduck posted:

Do you actually live in Austin? If so, how have not had 512's Pecan Porter? It's one of my favorite local beers. It's a solid porter, and the nutty, pecan aftertaste definitely comes out. I'm not sure you'd totally be able to identify it as pecan if you weren't told ahead of time, but it definitely is a unique, nutty flavor that comes out in the aftertaste.

I've talked to the head brewer, and they use, well, a lot of pecans (I'm sworn to secrecy about the exact amount). He also spends a lot of time chopping and grinding them to maximize flavor extraction.
I'm not in Austin but after my keezer is freed up from lagering I may give this kit a try. It sounds pretty interesting and we have some nice local pecans here.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

I remember a month or two back someone in the Philadelphia area posting that they were interested in making mead, so I wanted to make sure I came back to this thread and posted for all in the region that Philadelphia's 4th annual Honey Fest starts tomorrow. I have been with the guild, keeping bees and spoken at the last 3 Honey Fests on different topics. This Saturday at the Wyck Historic House and Garden in Germantown I will be giving a mead making demo at 11 for would be brewers and then leading a mead tasting event that starts at 12:30 for those interested. I was able to talk to and get Michael Manning, one of the founders of The Colony Meadery to give tips and tasting critiques for the mead sharing portion. Full schedule is here: http://phillyhoneyfest.com/schedule/2013-saturday/

It was probably me,and ffffff I am bush this weekend.

I just need another carboy and I'm ready to start clearing this mead up :)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Roundboy posted:

I just need another carboy

I feel like I say this once a week now. Just one more, then I'll have enough.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

e: sorry, doublepost

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
If I'm using maltodextrin to add body to a beer, is it as simple as calculating the gravity points it would add with its PPG value? Or is 1 point of maltodextrin somehow "thicker" than 1 point of unfermented malt sugar? I want to add about 10 points to the FG of a beer that massively overattenuated and it looks like it will take over a pound of maltodextrin which is double the amount I normally see recommended to use.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I once read that Corona pre-skunks their beer. Guess I'll buy a 6 pack of the Coronitas and see if I can find a stronger sense of skunk in one left outside in the sun for 5 minutes, one for 10, one for 20 and one for 30, with two being the controls. I will re-chill them all and have my girlfriend blind pour them.

It will be an awful day, but :science:

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
I just met someone who offered me their whole crop of hops. They were given a rhizome as a gift a few years ago and can't remember what variety it was. I plan on going to pick them this weekend, but I'm not sure what kind of beer to brew. I was thinking of doing an IPA so that they can shine through

My plan was to use the Two-Hearted Base recipe with 1lb Crystal 40 and 9lbs of Golden LME with Chinook as a bittering hop and then a depth charge of fresh hops near the end of the boil. Thoughts?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So remember that I was going to make plum jerkum from that batch of plum jam we had that didn't set up?

FG ended up being 1.01 with an ABV of 7.1. Nice and dry, but it has a very delicious caramely plum flavor, nothing at all how dry cider ends up not tasting like apples. This is most definitely PLUMS. The head doesn't stick around for too long, but it's effervescent in the glass all the way through. The photo is crap, but the color is pretty much just like that - a nice copper with hints of pink/purple. Anyway 10/10 I'm going to start making this every year in addition to my plum wine.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Okay,

Just ordered my comically large 5,000 mL flask off of Amazon. Tested out the homemade stir plate last night with a 1" stir bar, hooked up to a wimpy little 5V charger that spins 1L of water enough to form a small conical swirl. I came to the realization that I need a little more "juice" so I ordered a 12 V to cut an end off of and hook up to the fan. Now we're cooking. :black101:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

LaserWash posted:

AHS has some jugs going for $5, rather than the $30 for a 3L. I try to think ahead and would like to get something "big" that would work from here on out.
It's not $5 for a gallon sized, but Amazon has 2L borosilicate flasks for $14.25 with Prime. Cheaper than the $26 I paid for my Pyrex flasks.

Borosilicate so you can pour boiling wort into them without preheating and then drop them into ice water! (120C maximum recommended temperature difference vs 50C for regular glass)

EDIT: What are the odds we'd post right after each other, 2 days later?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Would you mind posting your jerkum recipe? I made some with prune juice that was good but not great. Yours looks like it is much better.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

Shbobdb posted:

Would you mind posting your jerkum recipe? I made some with prune juice that was good but not great. Yours looks like it is much better.

I thought it was jenkem that was made with prune juice. :raise:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You can think of jerkum as a precursor to jenkum. The FDA will use the analog act to make it illegal soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

Shbobdb posted:

The FDA will use the analog act to make it illegal soon.

Only if sold for human consumption.

A big sticker reading, "Don't Drink Da Prunes" and we're in bi'ness.