Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

NienNunb posted:

I mostly watch it for Weekend Update and partly out of habit, but I think the cast (as of last season at least) is mostly good. As said though, the loss of Hader, Armisen, and eventually Meyers is a pretty huge blow.

Wait til you see the new cast dude. They trimmed all the fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

scary ghost dog posted:

Wait til you see the new cast dude. They trimmed all the fat.

Did Aidy Bryant get fired?

what??

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

UP AND ADAM posted:

Why waste your time watching SNL when there are funnier things in so many other venues?

Because for 38 years it's the one program in the U.S.A. that showcases every generation's most talented comedic performers and writers on a weekly basis.

People who trash SNL in the "SNL hasn't been funny since 19__" vein always seem overly angry in that special Reddit sort of way. The show is not perfect. It goes on at 11:30 PM on Saturday whether the sketches are good or not, if the host is Alec Baldwin or Michael Phelps, etc. The show has never been perfect despite the internet putting particular eras (especially eras from 10 years ago) on a pedestal.

The sun rises. The sun sets. People complain that 2013 SNL sucks compared to 2006 compared to 2000 compared to 1996 compared to

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I've never watched SNL beyond some clips of Jeopardy.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I watch almost every episode of SNL and I enjoy most of it. It is a good show with many friends of the show like Bobby Moynihan and Andy Samberg.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Mordecai really summed it up, but I feel like an average SNL episode (at any point in time) is a B+ in comedy.

It's really genius comedians/writers paying their dues on-screen; basically a handful of iconic and amazing sketches, balanced out by pretty-good comedy.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
So I've just gotten into this podcast and I have a wee question: does Paul F. Tompkins ever appear as himself? I like him a lot less when he's just referencing other people.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

zimbomonkey posted:

So I've just gotten into this podcast and I have a wee question: does Paul F. Tompkins ever appear as himself? I like him a lot less when he's just referencing other people.

He'll show up for the best of episode at the end of the year. Otherwise Scott refuses to have him on.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
That's... actually kind of funny in itself. Does he play himself when he guest hosts?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

zimbomonkey posted:

That's... actually kind of funny in itself. Does he play himself when he guest hosts?

Yes, He and Scott lament about how PFT doesn't get to come on very often. The best of's are great and mandatory listening:

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/best-of-2012-pt-1/

Oh and of course The IBrain

My favorites are the suicide house halloween episodes
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/return-to-suicide-house/

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

UP AND ADAM posted:

Why waste your time watching SNL when there are funnier things in so many other venues?

It's a free tv show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd only seen the odd (generally 80s or 90s) clip of SNL when I read the 'Live from New York' book, and from that point on I haven't missed an episode. The whole book is built from snippets of interviews with dozens of cast members, writers, crew from over 20 years and you get a real appreciation for what they do there. There's very few episodes that are hits all the way through, but drat some of the stuff they do is great.

It'll be interesting to see what/who people have to bitch about this year, the only person who got chided last season (Armisen) is gone now, and while we've lost great cast members in Jason Sudeikis and Bill Hader, the remaining cast were generally pretty awesome. As Eltoasto said, the current female cast is great (and would be even better if we never lost Casey Wilson and Mikaela Watkins imo) which is such a positive thing for a male dominated industry. I think we're at one of those generation splits currently, most of the old guard have left in the last 2 years and most of the talked about people are either featured players or only just joining the regular cast. Looking forward to the season.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Mikaela Watkins im still iffy on but Casey Wilson and Jenny Slate were awesome. Also Cecily Strong has come on really strong. I think the McDonald's getting fired crew was one of the best sketches of the last couple years.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Are you telling me I've been laughing at an SNL joke all this time on Comedy Bang Bang?????

*dry heaves*

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Aidy Bryant was consistently great last season. It was a pretty good run in general - the only recurring bit that needs to gently caress off is The Californians as its a 30 second joke at best.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

Are you telling me I've been laughing at an SNL joke all this time on Comedy Bang Bang?????

*dry heaves*

Sorry.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Fil5000 posted:

Aidy Bryant was consistently great last season. It was a pretty good run in general - the only recurring bit that needs to gently caress off is The Californians as its a 30 second joke at best.

I love the Californians, but i'm pretty sure the bit hosed itself off considering all the main characters are gone

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Someone please move this thread to The TV IV.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Someone please move this thread to The TV IV.

Not until I've completed my informal poll on what the posters in the Comedy Bang Bang podcast thread think of Saturday Night Live the television show, please.

So, for everyone who hasn't weighed in yet:

How would you rank your Saturday Night Live experience on a scale of 1 to 10?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Lorne Michaels commitment to live scripted sketch comedy in the face of decades of evidence against that format is something to behold.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Podcast? Tv-show? I don't know anymore!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

isnt that right posted:

Not until I've completed my informal poll on what the posters in the Comedy Bang Bang podcast thread think of Saturday Night Live the television show, please.

I give it a pants.

edit: nope, gently caress, mustard

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
WELL YOU KNOW MY NAME IS SIMON

AND I LIKE TO DO DRAWRINGS

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Also Girlfriend's Talk Show is brilliant.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

piratepilates posted:

I give it a pants.

edit: nope, gently caress, mustard
mustard-stained pants

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Am I the only one who thought SNL was much better when I was in its target age demo???

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Motherfuckers actin like they forgot about Toonces, The Cat Who Could Drive A Car

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Brock Samson posted:

Am I the only one who thought SNL was much better when I was in its target age demo???

I disagree. It is my belief that SNL was at its peak when I was in its target age demo.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

isnt that right posted:

Nose.

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~
Maybe it's just me, but for me SNL is a long running late-night live television sketch comedy and variety show which has launched many of its cast members to stardom.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SavoyTruffle posted:

Maybe it's just me, but for me SNL is a long running late-night live television sketch comedy and variety show which has launched many of its cast members to stardom.

Attaboy.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
SaturDAY NIGHT Live? When is this thing even on?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

SNL expects me to give up my first born and work forever in indentured servitute so I can post about it on online messageboards....ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

SaturDAY NIGHT Live? When is this thing even on?

New York Days? New York Nights? New York don't know anymore!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

When I want to watch Saturday Night Live, there should be comedy sketches AND musical guests. NEW NO NO!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I started listening to the Harrow episode while driving. I've had to pull over like 5 times now from laughing too hard.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

High five freeze frame.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Zsinjeh posted:

*dry heaves*

One of the most popular running gags on CBB is a Nick Swardson bit :ssh:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

little munchkin posted:

One of the most popular running gags on CBB is a Nick Swardson bit :ssh:

..what one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Swardson kinda brought back "My Wife" on his album Party.