Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mazed posted:

Skim the thread on the MMO board and you're bound to catch screenshots of the multitude of stupid jokes (mostly about sex, though surprisingly not profoundly creepy) that NPCs spew left and right, adding some genuine personality to the world.

I think many of you sorta read this and thought "well ok" but no you don't realize just how many sex jokes there are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of Japanese games are honestly funnier than you think at first blush. Despite the feeling that these guys are taking themselves deathly serious, they're really not. It is just that the context for what is serious is a bit different. Like the SMT games are literally about the Apocalypse but they take themselves non-seriously enough that you'll have wacky Jack Frost antics and silly sidequests involving your pal trying (and failing) to hit on various female demons. The problem is that a lot of that humor is either culturally specific or comes across really poorly unless it is super-blatant. (Seriously, count how many SERIOUS PLOT TWISTS in Japanese RPGs are based around silly word puns. It's a whole loving lot.)

The Nier translation is so good because it isn't 'literal' but it does a good job of capturing the tone and conveying the intent, which is way more important than being literally accurate. The same goes for the Fire Emblem Awakening translation (which I believe is the same guys as Nier) It changes some characters but in ways that convey the same basic silly jokes but in a more culturally appropriate way. Cordelia basically is the exact same character except she's not full of boob jokes because those come across way differently to an American audience.

It's true. The same guys who did Nier were also behind FE: Awakening. And a good bunch of others.

And yeah, it's not to say that the Japanese scripts contained no humor, as the audiences there have to be laughing at something, just that it's so culturally-rooted that it's nearly impossible to convey exactly what without belaboring the point into oblivion. With FF13, maybe they just gave up on even trying and made the script as bland as possible, whereas the 8-4 guys actually made what must have been a considerable amount of effort to make sure Nier's tone came through.

Your description from earlier posts in the thread make it sound like Lightning, to the Japanese, came across not unlike how Nier's Kaine strikes us. Not to say "underwear-clad and potty-mouthed beyond belief", but certainly a striking and thoroughly entertaining individual to watch. Even if the comparison is off, it's a shame we missed out.

Terper posted:

I think many of you sorta read this and thought "well ok" but no you don't realize just how many sex jokes there are.

Yeah, right? :allears:

Of course, there are plenty of non-sex jokes to be had as well, but this kind of thing is bound to get the most attention. It's also going to get very different reactions out of different people, but the vibe I get out of FFXIV being full of perv NPCs is less that they're trying to titillate you in the way that you'd normally associate with JRPGs or anything else anime-flavored, and more that they're conveying a sort of ambient goofiness and refusal to take itself overly seriously, with a liberal application of "adult" (that is, unabashedly juvenile) humor. It doesn't feel uncomfortable, I suppose is another way of putting it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah, I've been playing Nier recently and the localisation is fantastic. It seems like Kaine is what they wanted Lighting to be like, but her tone-deaf line reads and wonky dialogue prevent her from being anywhere close to being as good as Kaine. At least with Lightning Returns, they're taking inspiration from her costume.

I wonder if Neptunia is the Japanese equivalent of Borderlands, a bunch of lazy video game references and memes being substituted for actual humour.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Great Lakes Log posted:

I want to get it for Vita but selling X/X-2 individually for the same price as both for the PS3 is extremely dumb.

Did they say they're doing that? I know they said they're being sold "Seperately" but that doesn't mean each one is going to be the price of the PS3 bundle. I've also read more than once that there is going to be a bundle with both of them sold together for the Vita.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So apparently Square Enix released their Tokyo Game Show lineup, and FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 are not on the list. Disappointing, but can't say I'm surprised- they're going to want to get as much hype going as they can for Lightning Returns and FFXIV (even though they can't handle the customers they have), since they really got overshadowed at E3. Just don't go dark on us for another 16 months, SE!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

I wonder if Neptunia is the Japanese equivalent of Borderlands, a bunch of lazy video game references and memes being substituted for actual humour.

This plus creepy fanservice, yes.

To use a different example: Xenogears is full of immensely convoluted plot twists but a fair number of them are supposed to be humorous in a "oh, I get that" sort of way. Huge chunks of the game are direct reference to various mecha anime. Some are just more obvious than others. (The Yggdrasil IV or the G-Elements for example.) It's supposed to be funny because you recognize the weird references even during the serious plot.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Pasteurized Milk posted:

The chocobo in Sazh's hair is a metaphor for the seriousness of the plot.

People really need to figure out that having silly jokes isn't the same as tongue in cheek. A lot of stupid crap that takes itself way too seriously still has wacky comic relief, but a Jar-Jar Binks doesn't change the reason why Lucas thought the opening scroll being about taxes and trade was a good idea.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering they imply Sazh shoots himself in the head at one point in the plot, I'm going to say his character was not meant to be a complete joke.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Did they say they're doing that? I know they said they're being sold "Seperately" but that doesn't mean each one is going to be the price of the PS3 bundle. I've also read more than once that there is going to be a bundle with both of them sold together for the Vita.

The info I'm recalling is likely way outdated and looking now it seems like that's right. I mean if I did get them for vita I'd probably get digital copies anyway, and I can't imagine they would be more than the ps3 game, that would be absolutely mental.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean don't get me wrong. It's a way more overly-serious game than, say, FFVII, but it's about par with FFX in that regards. Part of the problem is that a fair bit of the humor attempts just really don't work, even in Japanese. (Vanille, Sazh and Snow are to some degree all supposed to lighten the mood at various times and none really succeed at it.) FFX kind of tries to do the same thing and fails at it too. To be honest, I think Toriyama's games are just remarkably bad at levity. He tries to do "lighthearted" things and they either fall flat or are completely offputting in some way, usually due to creepy sexual humor.

I don't think it's just levity. Toriyama's games just don't have very good characters or stories. His games always seem to have good gameplay (I loving loved the combat in X-2 and think that they did XIII a woeful disservice by not giving you a full party and all the roles until 15-20 hours into the game), but then his creepy bullshit just comes pouring out everywhere else.

I don't know how much input and control he has over those other areas, but it's hard to look at his track record and not see a pattern. On X, for example, he was one of three directors and the game was only occasionally weird and creepy. Then on X-2 he was alone and just... :negative:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So FFXIV has gotten me a fair bit nostalgic. I keep on thinking I'm done with Final Fantasy (I regret that I took the time to beat XIII) but drat if the music and the various aesthetic callbacks don't speak to me. I just realized that I've never actually beaten the original Final Fantasy, and I feel a need to correct that. I saw some recent discussion about the pros and cons of the various releases, but not a lot of talk about the iOS version. How's that one? My iPhone is on hand more than any other system, handheld or otherwise, I've ever owned and it would be nice to play on there... if it isn't total crap.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

BioMe posted:

People really need to figure out that having silly jokes isn't the same as tongue in cheek. A lot of stupid crap that takes itself way too seriously still has wacky comic relief, but a Jar-Jar Binks doesn't change the reason why Lucas thought the opening scroll being about taxes and trade was a good idea.

I was going to reply that you maybe took my making a post in jest a little far, but really I just want to know why Episode 1 is your example of taking itself too seriously?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Episode 1 does take itself way too seriously, George Lucas thought he was writing a great tale of political intrigue but it turns out he's just a hack and his characters sucked.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Sagan posted:

So FFXIV has gotten me a fair bit nostalgic. I keep on thinking I'm done with Final Fantasy (I regret that I took the time to beat XIII) but drat if the music and the various aesthetic callbacks don't speak to me. I just realized that I've never actually beaten the original Final Fantasy, and I feel a need to correct that. I saw some recent discussion about the pros and cons of the various releases, but not a lot of talk about the iOS version. How's that one? My iPhone is on hand more than any other system, handheld or otherwise, I've ever owned and it would be nice to play on there... if it isn't total crap.

If you don't want to experience the intermibly slow slog riddled with bugs with purchasing system and potions that make you question whether or not digital god truly even loves you then snag the iOS version. If that horrible introduction only made you want it that much more play the original NES version and I guess call your biggest personal nemesis to taunt you while you play you sicko.

Both versions peak in difficulty at the Ice Cave and assuming you can beat that its clear sailing. The iOS version tries to make the Final Boss a real challenge if you fight him the conventional FF way but with even mild attack buffs he drops only slightly slower than his NES counterpart.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Evil Sagan posted:

IMO, the best version is the FF Origins version on PS1. It did a lot of quality of life and bugfixes to the original game but didn't change any of the non-bugged mechanics. It is still FF1 so it still is a bit of a slog about things (especially healing pre Heal Staff/Helm) but later versions of the game have shown that making healing easy removes 98% of the challenge from FF1 (the remaining 2% being large packs of pertrifyng/paralyzing enemies and instant death abusers)

Yeah, FF iOS is based off the PSP/GBA release, which made a lot of changes that basically removed most of the challenge of the core game. The bonus dungeons offer more challenge but by doing them you completely remove any chance of the core game being anything but auto-pilot to Chaos- literally just hours of padded filler. If you just want a quick nostalgia trip it's good. But it is a poor FF1 experience.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

1st AD posted:

Episode 1 does take itself way too seriously, George Lucas thought he was writing a great tale of political intrigue but it turns out he's just a hack and his characters sucked.

Along the same lines, in a good movie, the line about sand from Episode 2 would have been a joke. But nobody was willing to tell Lucas that it was terrible.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Defiance Industries posted:

Along the same lines, in a good movie, the line about sand from Episode 2 would have been a joke. But nobody was willing to tell Lucas that it was terrible.

He wasn't kidding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5jjXTPtyY

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Evil Sagan posted:

Nintendo emulator with a controller that has extra buttons for turbo. :colbert:

The first FF is brutal, and I feel like the best way to experience it is the original version of the game. The remakes are much easier.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I'd say the GBA version. None of them are going to be as 'pure' as the original NES version, but the original NES version had some truly awful design points like not being able to bulk-purchase items (gently caress you, Softs) and attacking empty space if a monster dies before your attack. I never found the original NES version all that hard, just unclear and full of minor annoyances.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
PS1 version is pretty much the NES version with new graphics, music, and some bug fixes. There's also an Easy Mode if you want an easier time (like having 99 spell points for each spell level instead of 9).

GBA and beyond switch to the standard MP system and add bonus dungeons and stuff, though opinions are mixed on the MP system since the game wasn't designed around it. I think the PSP version adds another dungeon as well, with the iOS/Android ports based off the PSP version.

It really comes down to preference and/or what systems are available to you. The NES version is still perfectly playable if you can handle older RPGs and their annoying quirks (horrible interface, tons of bugs, limited information, sluggish battles, and so on).

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Either the PS1 or the NES version should do. The later remakes simply change too many things around.

edit: Do keep in mind that, if you decide to go with the NES version, that it is a unique experience mainly due to its bugs and its clunky design.

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 5, 2013

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
Maybe this is opening a can of worms but here goes:

What's with all the hate for FFXIII? I've skimmed the thread for ages and it never fails when I come back to it there has recently been some discussion of XIII being awful and why etc.

I recently picked it up on a whim because I've been craving some Japanese melodrama in my life and so far it's ok. Standard FF fair at least.

I guess my question is really. What makes XIII so bad compared to any other FF story, for that matter what IS a good FF example. Please don't say VII. A lot of what people hold dear about VII is based on nostalgia and how it blew your 12 year old mind when it first game out. Don't get me wrong I loved VII but I think it falls in line, story-wise, with most...modern?...FF games. I mean 8 was all but a convoluted soap opera but I still liked the game. I guess to put my (probably) bad tastes into perspective, I think I liked IX's story the best. Hell, I enjoyed the poo poo out of X, if that says anything. I guess what I'm saying is...for a person who's enjoyed most of the finest melodramatic poo poo pile that Square can write into a game, what makes XIII solicit responses such as "Made me want to kill myself" and "the only way Square can compensate for XIII is to somehow erase the fact it was ever made from history."

Everyone talks about how bland, boring, and forgettable XII was and I've completely avoided the game. Nothing about it seems enticing for me to make an effort to play it. But nothing in this thread starts a fire like talking about XIII.

Again, I'm only a couple hours in and I think it's pretty OK with the exception of Vanille...but FF has to have the token fan service 13 year old I guess.

Anyways, can this be explained without spoiling it or should I just finish it so I can come back and lament how I wish I'd killed myself?

I still don't see how it can be worse than the big story twist in X and how Titus is a ghost LOL!

TL;DR What makes the story of XIII so much more horrible than any other "modern" FF's in the past and what is even a good example of a "good" FF story? Or because I usually just eat that japanese melodrama stuff up, will I not really notice?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The best Final Fantasy games are 5 and 6 because they were still stuck in a low-tech era where anime bullshit could not feasibly be reproduced in a video game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Shachi posted:

Please don't say VII. A lot of what people hold dear about VII is based on nostalgia and how it blew your 12 year old mind when it first game out. Don't get me wrong I loved VII but I think it falls in line, story-wise, with most...modern?...FF games.

Plenty of people are going to tell you why XIII is disliked, but I'm just going to point out here that from what I've seen the currently ongoing LP of FF VII has actually made people appreciate that game's story and characters a lot more than they actually used to, and that's including people who have never played it before. So it's not all nostalgia, although obviously opinions vary as usual.

I think the majority of XIII hate comes from the linearity and such rather than the story, which most tend to consider merely average and/or forgettable. Anime is also a very popular word.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Shachi posted:

Maybe this is opening a can of worms but here goes:

What's with all the hate for FFXIII? I've skimmed the thread for ages and it never fails when I come back to it there has recently been some discussion of XIII being awful and why etc.

I recently picked it up on a whim because I've been craving some Japanese melodrama in my life and so far it's ok. Standard FF fair at least.

I guess my question is really. What makes XIII so bad compared to any other FF story, for that matter what IS a good FF example. Please don't say VII. A lot of what people hold dear about VII is based on nostalgia and how it blew your 12 year old mind when it first game out. Don't get me wrong I loved VII but I think it falls in line, story-wise, with most...modern?...FF games. I mean 8 was all but a convoluted soap opera but I still liked the game. I guess to put my (probably) bad tastes into perspective, I think I liked IX's story the best. Hell, I enjoyed the poo poo out of X, if that says anything. I guess what I'm saying is...for a person who's enjoyed most of the finest melodramatic poo poo pile that Square can write into a game, what makes XIII solicit responses such as "Made me want to kill myself" and "the only way Square can compensate for XIII is to somehow erase the fact it was ever made from history."

Everyone talks about how bland, boring, and forgettable XII was and I've completely avoided the game. Nothing about it seems enticing for me to make an effort to play it. But nothing in this thread starts a fire like talking about XIII.

Again, I'm only a couple hours in and I think it's pretty OK with the exception of Vanille...but FF has to have the token fan service 13 year old I guess.

Anyways, can this be explained without spoiling it or should I just finish it so I can come back and lament how I wish I'd killed myself?

I still don't see how it can be worse than the big story twist in X and how Titus is a ghost LOL!

TL;DR What makes the story of XIII so much more horrible than any other "modern" FF's in the past and what is even a good example of a "good" FF story? Or because I usually just eat that japanese melodrama stuff up, will I not really notice?

I don't care for most of the games in the series, but what they've usually done pretty well is build a connection to the world that strives to make you care about what happens to it. There's usually stuff tucked away into corners of the world at different points in the game that is there to remind you at various points, "hey, there's a big world in this game! Take a look around it!" It counterbalances all of the terrible animu story that they write because I may not really like most of the characters and the plot may be nonsense, but I probably like the game world at least sort of well.

FF13 takes one of the things that the series has done consistently well throughout its history and tosses it out the window. Everything about the game is like being railroaded, and any time you want to do something that isn't relentlessly following the single track the game lays out, there's always a reason you can't do it. Side paths in dungeons are a few feet long and are almost always one monster guarding a treasure chest. FF13 didn't build an interesting and cohesive world like all the others, it built a long tube where the background changes periodically, and had you run down it for 40 hours. It's like making a Final Fantasy game with no music. They have thrown away one of the few things they are actually good at.

The game, of course, goes back to the familiar FF well of saving the world, but the problem is that I don't really give a poo poo about the world. The world we are trying to save, within the context of FF13, is the wallpaper for the tube we ran through. That's really all it is, because we aren't allowed to interact with the game world very much. The writers seemed to think that we would just accept that this is something we really care about because they told us to, just like they have every character resolve all of their personal problems in the exact same way and we would accept that is a satisfying conclusion to a story arc, because they told us it was.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
FFXIII is worse than stupid; it's boring. It's slow as hell, it delivers exposition in a clunky and confusing way, and the battle system that everyone praises is merely okay. And there's nothing else to the gameplay other than the battle system, which doesn't even fully open up until... 10 hours in? Frankly the combat alone is just not good enough to sustain a 30 to 40 hour game. Inventory management isn't the pinnacle of gameplay, but it's something else. Even games that could stand on combat alone, like Bayonetta, mix it up a bit!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FFXIII's story takes forever to go nowhere. You spend 30 hours running away from a place because 'we gotta fight our fate!', 20 hours running around in another place with no clear goal other than 'we should find somebody who knows what to do', and then another 10 hours to run back to where you just ran away from in the beginning to do the exact opposite of what you've been doing the entire game on the behalf of a guy who basically comes up to tell you "I am the villain, fight me after you do exactly what I say' and have everything get solved by deus ex machina in the end anyway.

There are some interesting character arcs that don't really go anywhere or are resolved the second the characters actually get to talk to each other and then those characters just become party fodder for a game that could have done the same thing in 20 hours tops.

The game is literally a waste of time.

Battles are pretty fun, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFXIII isn't a great game by any means even in the best of circumstances but I do think the hatred for it has crossed over into the area of hyperbole. It has a lot in common with other Final Fantasy games and a lot of what people dislike about it over other Final Fantasy games comes down to personal taste, mixed with a healthy dose of internet echo chamber. FF is a franchise that has a wide and varied fanbase because no two games are exactly the same and everyone has a specific thing they like about the game. It's okay for (game X) to be easy, linear, have a stupid plot, dumb character designs, or whatever because they like (thing Y) about it. Each game basically appeals to a specific person and then it's a gamble if any other game in the franchise will appeal to that same person.

(I'm guilty of this myself. I hate FFVIII for being too easy but like FFVI despite the fact you can trivially win it by smashing the attack button.)

I'm certainly not arguing that people don't legitimately dislike it for good reasons, but the hyperbole about it being the WORST GAME EVER MADE is over the top, and if you went into it expecting something that killed puppies or something you'd probably be taken aback by the vitriol. It's not a very good game, but unless you have a strong emotional attachment to specific Final Fantasies, you probably won't notice as huge a gap as someone who has played the entire franchise and was eagerly awaiting the next one.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 5, 2013

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ironically, the best Final Fantasy at creating an interesting world and letting you interact with it, I feel, was actually 12. It's almost enough to make up for the fact that the plot is nearly impossible to become emotionally engaged in thanks to a number of factors, many of which I suspect are the result of executives interfering with the game's development. Twelve is the only game I like to just wander around and be a tourist in.

The flaws with 13 become pretty obvious the further you go in. At first events move at a decent enough clip that you get the impression that things are building up to an interesting payoff. You'll get disillusioned of that pretty quickly. Though if the first half of the game sells itself to you strong enough you might find yourself trying to justify the story by digging up Ultimania guides and poring through the in-game encyclopedia to explain What The gently caress Did You Just Watch.

Because the game won't.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Ironically, the best Final Fantasy at creating an interesting world and letting you interact with it, I feel, was actually 12. It's almost enough to make up for the fact that the plot is nearly impossible to become emotionally engaged in thanks to a number of factors, many of which I suspect are the result of executives interfering with the game's development. Twelve is the only game I like to just wander around and be a tourist in.

I dunno, I got pretty engaged in, at minimum, the political sniping and stuff in FF12. I loved Judge Drace probably more than half of the playable squad.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Phantasium posted:

Battles are pretty fun, though.

Boss battles and cleverly done set pieces kind of are, regular random encounters not so much until the very, very end (but even then, only sometimes). Since there's no MP, which is a great decision, and you regain all your HP after every fight you'd think they could do something cool with that by making every fight interesting and challenging in its own right.

Unfortunately, that doesn't happen. Most of the randoms for about the first 15 hours or so feel like they're just there to do the usual attempt at forcing you to manage your resources as you go through the "dungeon." Which completely ignores the fact that those resources don't even exist any more.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The best Final Fantasy was Spirits Within and they should have just ditched game making and gone purely into studio production at that point

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, I got pretty engaged in, at minimum, the political sniping and stuff in FF12. I loved Judge Drace probably more than half of the playable squad.

If you're more interested in people your characters rarely ever, if at all, interact with... you have a severe problem with your story and your characters are boring.

Much of FFXII is like that; not even BrainWeasel's great LP of it has convinced me. All it has really cemented is that keeping the party largely out of the major events of the world, and watching these other people play at war rather than my characters is dull as dishwater.

FFIX does this too, but it makes up for it by making the characters who are making the big political moves interesting -- Brahne is a megalomaniac with a classic design, and Kuja is brilliant in just about every way as far as FF characters go. It's fun to watch them fight one another. In XII, your characters were just window dressing in the conflict, all the way up until the very end.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There's also the fact that I disliked most of the cast of FF13, excluding Sazh and somewhat (SOMEWHAT) excluding Snow. There's just no Yang to beat the crap out of stuff and be all noble and Monk-y, or a Galuf to be a gruff cool old badass, or a Aerith to be a more-than-just-a-flower-girl-love-interest, or a Sabin to suplex poo poo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Azure_Horizon posted:

If you're more interested in people your characters rarely ever, if at all, interact with... you have a severe problem with your story and your characters are boring.

Oh gently caress off with you. This isn't really Final Fantasy, but it is a Square title, so I'll use it as an example. The majority of the Kingdom Hearts fandom is obsessed with loving Organization 13, despite nearly all of your interactions with them being "ur teh bad gai, imma gently caress u up". Ansem the Wise has only one scene in KH2 where he interacts with Sora, and I still care about him and his whole redemption/revengeance thing way more than, say, the majority of Sora's struggles.

EDIT: Oh wow, I can't delete posts apparently. Sorry for the double post, didn't mean to.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Gologle posted:

There's also the fact that I disliked most of the cast of FF13, excluding Sazh and somewhat (SOMEWHAT) excluding Snow. There's just no Yang to beat the crap out of stuff and be all noble and Monk-y, or a Galuf to be a gruff cool old badass, or a Aerith to be a more-than-just-a-flower-girl-love-interest, or a Sabin to suplex poo poo.

I have actually never played FF13, but if the cutscenes went like this I imagine that I would:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG_Z0rd7eK0

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MmG41Tllxo

1st AD fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 5, 2013

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gologle posted:

Oh gently caress off with you. This isn't really Final Fantasy, but it is a Square title, so I'll use it as an example. The majority of the Kingdom Hearts fandom is obsessed with loving Organization 13, despite nearly all of your interactions with them being "ur teh bad gai, imma gently caress u up". Ansem the Wise has only one scene in KH2 where he interacts with Sora, and I still care about him and his whole redemption/revengeance thing way more than, say, the majority of Sora's struggles.

EDIT: Oh wow, I can't delete posts apparently. Sorry for the double post, didn't mean to.

I really wouldn't accuse Kingdom Hearts of having a good story.

It's living proof of how much laughable dross your writers can get away with if your core gameplay is fun enough. And also anime, I guess.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yeah, true. The story is pretty drat convoluted and nonsensical at this point (WHAT THE gently caress IS A NAMINE).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
JRPGs like these live and die on their characters, I think. We see them for 60+ hours, they better drat well feel like a group of people that care about each other and interact in a way that seems genuine. FFXIII does not do this. You're given pairs of characters that interact with each other for a little while, but once the group is all together that essentially ceases. They stop having actual personalities and become flat as cardboard, just to keep the "plot" moving, so it felt like they all died as far as I was concerned.

Also, I could not be more annoyed with the game's story. The first 20 hours didn't bother me as much, but once the team arrives on Pulse, there ceases to be any point to their actions at all. Waiting out their focus resulted in nothing. Going to Oerba resulted in nothing. Fighting Bart a second time also resulted in nothing. Then you're whisked away to Cocoon again and you're somehow on the final act? I still don't understand what was supposed to be going through your party's mind when they go to Orphan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Honestly, a lot of FF13's problems probably would've been more overlooked if the pacing for everything in the game weren't so loving horrible. There's long stretches of Vanille/Sazh and Lightning/Hope poo poo where nothing happens, doing nothing but fight the same dull enemies with boring two-person parties with little strategy to go between. A lot of that could've been cut out, and the game would've been much better if we only spent like thirty minutes of each before getting to the action of the game in Palomporom when Fang finally decides to loving join.

A lot of the other games have serious problems, but you generally fly through dungeons pretty quickly, with towns and mini-games to break up the monotony, so at least the plot is moving and, if you're not grabbed by the gameplay, at least there's usually new stuff happening in the plot.