Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
My buddy has an early 2000's VTX1800 with over 100,000 miles on it.  It stopped running the other day and he described the situation as "The oil light came on and the bike stopped running."  He says the bike won't turn over and believes it to be a dead electric oil pump.   I'm not familiar with these bikes, but I thought most oil pumps were mechanical and I wouldn't think the bike wouldn't turn over with a poorly operating one either.

The bike had been sitting for a few months and my guess is the battery is toast even after charging it for a bit while riding around.

Also, the keyed gas cap is corroded and we can't open it.  Any secrets or tips to this?  He doesn't think there's any other way to get into the gas tank.

Ninja Edit: Some googling reveals the VTX has a normal mechanical oil pump.  I'm 90% sure his battery is preventing the bike from turning over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
You're probably right. The bike died and then the oil light came on because it's always on when the bike isn't running. It's amazing how often people forget that.

If it was the other way around, and the oil light came on for awhile then the bike died and won't turn over anymore it's because the engine is seized and hosed. That would have a lot more sound and nastiness beyond what sounds like a dead battery.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Halo_4am posted:

You're probably right. The bike died and then the oil light came on because it's always on when the bike isn't running. It's amazing how often people forget that.

Funny story about that: when I first bought my bike and rode it home happy as a clam, I parked it, turned the key to off, and the oil light came on. I was super bummed that I bought a bike with an oil pressure problem for like an hour before I realized that no, actually, that is totally normal.

In my defense, in my car if the oil light comes on after you turn off the ignition it means you've got problems. But, unlike my bike, that is a connected to a fancy computer management system and not just a simple pressure sensor.

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

My battery needs to be replaced, right? The bike struggles with almost every startup. I'm surprised it has been turning over. It is reading a little over 14V at the terminal when revving, so I don't think it's the alternator.

(01 SV650)

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

mainks posted:

My battery needs to be replaced, right? The bike struggles with almost every startup. I'm surprised it has been turning over. It is reading a little over 14V at the terminal when revving, so I don't think it's the alternator.

(01 SV650)

Not sure about v-twins, but hard starting can also come from valves being too tight.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tamir Lenk posted:

Not sure about v-twins, but hard starting can also come from valves being too tight.

Generally only when starting from hot, unless it's had difficulty starting from hot for an adjustment interval already. That does sound like a dead battery, what is the reading on it cold and what does it drop to when you crank it over?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
The bump start did not work on my motorbike and it seems to have even less power than before, i guess i'll have to charge the battery instead. Also, i've realised that my motorbike doesn't change gears most times i tried to put it in second gear as if it doesn't "click" in place or something. What could cause that? I doubt the battery is in cause here.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

You should probably check your wheel bearings, how many miles do you have on the current ones?

5000km, it really wasn't ridden much in it's past. I'll pull the wheels this afternoon and check it over.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Odddzy posted:

The bump start did not work on my motorbike and it seems to have even less power than before, i guess i'll have to charge the battery instead. Also, i've realised that my motorbike doesn't change gears most times i tried to put it in second gear as if it doesn't "click" in place or something. What could cause that? I doubt the battery is in cause here.

I had a Ninja 250 that flat out refused to go into second if it wasn't running. It was a royal pain to bump start.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Two dumb questions:

If you're forced off the road what is the proper technique for handling the transition from pavement to rough or broken ground. I had this happen weeks ago and all the advice I've gotten from my friends is contradictory. (I'm okay, but my bike got a cosmetic dent in the tank)

What exactly do people do with stolen license plates if they leave the bike? :iiam:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Weird. My 250 was exactly the same. I had to put it into second before shutting it off if I thought I would want or need to bump start it. That bike was drat simple to bump start, though. I can't, for the life of me, get the SV to bump start.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

Two dumb questions:

If you're forced off the road what is the proper technique for handling the transition from pavement to rough or broken ground. I had this happen weeks ago and all the advice I've gotten from my friends is contradictory. (I'm okay, but my bike got a cosmetic dent in the tank)

What exactly do people do with stolen license plates if they leave the bike? :iiam:

They either copy the plate or put it on a stolen bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Is it the positive neutral finder that makes bump starting using 2nd tough?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Odddzy posted:

Try rolling it a few inches either direction and see if it will click in.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Two dumb questions:

Number one, relax and let the bike go where it wants to (unless it's off the side of a bridge or something.)

If you're in sand or dirt or whatever don't emergency brake like on pavement, ease into it you don't want to high side by locking the front wheel.

If it's really bumpy stand up.

Find a dirt road and practice doing emergency stops on it.

People steal license plates to put them on other vehicles. I had a plate stolen off my Volvo. The thief put a different plate on. I didn't notice until I got a parking ticket in another town and noticed the plate n# didn't match (haha never paid it.)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Thanks for the quick replies guys, they are super useful.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

thylacine posted:

Number one, relax and let the bike go where it wants to (unless it's off the side of a bridge or something.)

If you're in sand or dirt or whatever don't emergency brake like on pavement, ease into it you don't want to high side by locking the front wheel.

If it's really bumpy stand up.

Find a dirt road and practice doing emergency stops on it.

Also, use the rear brake more than the front. I found out the hard way!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I seem to keep finding that out the hard way.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Chances are if you grab a handful of brake in the dirt / grass you'll just tuck the front wheel and layer dan. Like others said use the rear brake and try to just let the bike jump around without putting in any sudden inputs. If you can manage to just ride in a straight line applying a little rear brake the bike will sort itself out. Turning on street tires in the dirt / grass presents its own challenge.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Safety Dance posted:

I had a Ninja 250 that flat out refused to go into second if it wasn't running. It was a royal pain to bump start.

It is called Positive Neutral Finder. They do not allow you to shift past neutral at a stand still.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Sharkopath posted:

Police don't look closely at tags very often; but they do immediately notice missing or obscured ones. As others said, stolen bikes are a big use; but others run them when doing screamers on their generic looking personal bikes. That way, if someone does make the tag by some fluke; the police are still just looking for "some dude on a crotch rocket, riding like a dong". Some local guy plowed his Busa into a tree at 120 around here a while back and died. At the time, his real tag was in his kit and the one on his bike was from a Harley halfway across the state.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Not sure about in other countries/states but in Australia, QLD at least, the squad cars have scanners in them that automatically scan any license plates in front of them and give an alert if they're stolen, etc. If they don't match up to the vehicle, expect to get pulled over.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Also, the keyed gas cap is corroded and we can't open it.  Any secrets or tips to this?  He doesn't think there's any other way to get into the gas tank.

Contact cleaner, then penetrating oil, alternating until it moves, then once it's done whack some silicone or PTFE lube in.

Alternatively it may not just be the gas cap being corroded. Over time the key wears down, as does the ignition lock - generally the ignition lock is looser through that wear so the key keeps working, but the wear is enough to put the key out of true in a less-used lock. If you have a second key for the bike try that.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Shimrod posted:

Not sure about in other countries/states but in Australia, QLD at least, the squad cars have scanners in them that automatically scan any license plates in front of them and give an alert if they're stolen, etc. If they don't match up to the vehicle, expect to get pulled over.

In NZ, the police are trialling a van parked on the side of the road that automagically scans all cars that go past it. At the moment, they're only using them for stolen cars and the like.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
There was a van doing camera checks out today, but it was facing head-on on a one way system. I guess they aren't fussed about catching bikers with it, seeing as the plate's on the rear.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Shimrod posted:

If they don't match up to the vehicle, expect to get pulled over.

I would expect this anywhere... but the scanners they have are supposed to be able to scan hundreds of plates per minute/second or something. Not sure if the scanners are really going to help simply with mismatched vehicle/plate; would require a visual confirmation of each vehicle to determine if it doesn't match, right?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shelvocke posted:

There was a van doing camera checks out today, but it was facing head-on on a one way system. I guess they aren't fussed about catching bikers with it, seeing as the plate's on the rear.

Some of those sneaky fuckers have a camera pointing in both directions so they can get you coming or going.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

clutchpuck posted:

I would expect this anywhere... but the scanners they have are supposed to be able to scan hundreds of plates per minute/second or something. Not sure if the scanners are really going to help simply with mismatched vehicle/plate; would require a visual confirmation of each vehicle to determine if it doesn't match, right?

At this point those things only read the plates and check for violations / expired reg / etc for the number. Identifying the make/model of the vehicle itself is a considerably more difficult computational problem.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Read somewhere that the machines that read plates, and especially speed cameras, have a really high necessity for manual entry. On those traffic police shows they only tend to ID and subsequently pull over people who are actively acting suspicious.

Linedance posted:

Some of those sneaky fuckers have a camera pointing in both directions so they can get you coming or going.

Good to know. I sure don't want to spend £100 to sit in a council office with a load of other Joes listening to an office diplomat tell us that driving over the speed limit has a 100% chance of sudden, painful conflagration. Again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shelvocke posted:

Read somewhere that the machines that read plates, and especially speed cameras, have a really high necessity for manual entry. On those traffic police shows they only tend to ID and subsequently pull over people who are actively acting suspicious.

That was about 10 years ago. ANPR is now reliable enough to run road pricing schemes like the London congestion charge with a failure rate (excluding deliberate deception) of well under one plate in a million.

In the UK all traffic cars, and most patrol cars, have the ANPR on permanently looking not just for stolen cars but ones with expired tax or MOT (yearly inspection) or no insurance. It also flashes up the VOSA-registered make, model and colour so if they feel like it they can just park up and check each car that goes past.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Another quick pillion question. When braking my wife tends to brace herself on my shoulders or back. I personally don't mind it, but is that a no-no for some reason?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Anybody in the San Diego area know of a reputable dyno tuner? I suspect my bike is running pretty rich due to the weather change between NorCal and SoCal but Southern California isn't particularly known for its motorcycle scene as most people here are certifiably retarded when it comes to anything involving such.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

MoraleHazard posted:

Another quick pillion question. When braking my wife tends to brace herself on my shoulders or back. I personally don't mind it, but is that a no-no for some reason?

If she will be riding pillion a lot of times I'd suggest she should be bracing with her legs. When things get hairy I wouldn't want to be distracted by a grown person yanking on my shoulders.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't know about passenger squeezing with their legs; when my fiancee did that I felt pretty wonky in the front, like my legs are getting clamped to the bike and moving my foot off of the peg when coming to a stop gets to be more difficult.

Can your wife reach the tank to brace herself when you're braking? That might be a better thing to do.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Finally all this motorcycling paid off! :v: The very first time I met my now new girlfriend our conversation contained the following sentences;

:swoon: "You've got a motorcycle, that's soooo cool."

:smuggo: "Yeah, you wanna... ride with me sometime?"

:swoon: "Can I, really?" (followed by her actually going "woop woop" in real life.)

She still hasn't worked out that low-rise pants with thongs don't work well when you're riding pillion though. Which brings me to my real point; I've tried to get her to wear more gear. As of now she's got a short leather jacket, which is more of a fashion item than a protective garment as it's really flimsy, and she's using one of my helmets (we've got same size small heads, both of us). That's it. Converse shoes aren't exactly CE rated either.

She either tells me "But you won't crash, will you?" or "But it's uncomfortable" when I bring it up. On one hand, she's an adult and frankly as long as she wears a helmet she can ride naked if she likes. On the other hand I can't even begin to imagine how much like poo poo I'd feel if I crashed and her legs (or whatever) looked like an overcooked sausage for the rest of her life (after several skin grafts, I guess).

I have no idea what I'm really asking here, but whatever. Maybe I'm overreacting. Or something. :ohdear:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I doubt most people who crashed expected to crash when they first get on the bike. If she's riding pillion with you, you can refuse to take her along if she's not wearing gear. If you feel like you can go on and feel good about yourself when you could have saved her some skin by not letting her ride with you, go ahead.

Do GIS on "road rash queen". Sure, I doubt you'll be zooming around at 120, but even at 30mph she's gonna be getting hurt.

EDIT: you're no newbie to riding so you probably know all that already anyway.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

She can either be mildly uncomfortable until she gets used to the gear, or she can lose skin, pulverize bones, etc. Don't let her on the bike until she wears proper protective equipment-that's what I do. You can google image search motorcycle crash without gear or something, it'll be gruesome but that scares some people into wearing it. Also, you may never crash because of your own riding mistakes, but there's plenty of idiot drivers that would t-bone you without a second thought. poo poo, nobody ever expects to crash.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Finally all this motorcycling paid off! :v: The very first time I met my now new girlfriend our conversation contained the following sentences;

:swoon: "Can I, really?" (followed by her actually going "woop woop" in real life.)

She still hasn't worked out that low-rise pants with thongs don't work well when you're riding pillion though. Which brings me to my real point; I've tried to get her to wear more gear. As of now she's got a short leather jacket, which is more of a fashion item than a protective garment as it's really flimsy, and she's using one of my helmets (we've got same size small heads, both of us). That's it. Converse shoes aren't exactly CE rated either.

She either tells me "But you won't crash, will you?" or "But it's uncomfortable" when I bring it up. On one hand, she's an adult and frankly as long as she wears a helmet she can ride naked if she likes. On the other hand I can't even begin to imagine how much like poo poo I'd feel if I crashed and her legs (or whatever) looked like an overcooked sausage for the rest of her life (after several skin grafts, I guess).

I have no idea what I'm really asking here, but whatever. Maybe I'm overreacting. Or something. :ohdear:

Good to hear that your new GF likes the bike. I feel your pain on the gear. I got my wife draggin jeans and I got, "These look like mom jeans." Also, a female scooter acquaintance lost toes riding in chucks. If there's any gear I'd insist on after a helmet it's boots and gloves.

KARMA! posted:

If she will be riding pillion a lot of times I'd suggest she should be bracing with her legs. When things get hairy I wouldn't want to be distracted by a grown person yanking on my shoulders.

To clarify, she puts the palms of her hands on my upper back to keep from bonking into me.

Also, for the other pillion questioners, my wife really likes looking over my shoulder even though she leans well with bike. She finds it more comfortable, mentally speaking, to see the road ahead.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Show her the range of cute women's motorcycling gear. Maybe she'll find something she likes, but you'll probably have to buy it.

And remind her that it's not always up to you whether you crash or not. You can try to avoid risk, but that doesn't mean some shitlord won't crash into you out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MoraleHazard posted:

I got my wife draggin jeans and I got, "These look like mom jeans."

This is what my wife used to say about them as well. She got some more stylish Dainese riding pants, but they came with like a tiny patch of kevlar on each knee, none in the butt, and they only fit right when she's standing. In a riding position, there's much buttcrack. Apparently mom jeans are cut better for their purpose.