Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

StickySweater posted:

Anyone want to take a stab at a top-10 or top-5 list of the best found footage/point of view horror films? I figured some site somewhere would have compiled a list that I could use in case I missed something good, but alas, there seems to be only fan made lists and they're terrible.

Blair Witch was always a favorite of mine. So I guess I'd place it at number one. Not sure what else qualifies as being really noteworthy though.

Edit: I did find this list which seems OK for reference, but it isn't really a critical list.

My personal top ten would probable be something like (in no particular order)

V/H/S and V/H/S/2
Cloverfield
Chronicle
[REC]/Quarantine
Grave Encounters
Apartment 143
Paranormal Entity
The Blair Witch Project
Ghost Watch
Frankenstein Theory

That's just off the top of my head though. There are a few more I really need to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
The Blair Witch Project
Paranormal Activity 1
REC
Noroi (The Curse)
V/H/S

That'd be my top 5. Huge honorable mention to Chronicle, which isn't technically horror but is one of the best found footage films out there. Blair Witch and PA might not make the cut on an entirely objective list, but if we're going personal with it, seeing those two for the first time are some of my favorite horror viewing memories.

There are a handful of obscure found footage films that I haven't seen, but I doubt any of them would unseat one of the above. I haven't seen Occult or Behind the Mask yet though, and I've heard good things about both.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Coffee And Pie posted:

A regular in the general chat thread tried (succeeded?) to watch all of them, ask him.

That's both axleblaze and myself (I've seen about sixty of the them, so far). He's posted a solid list, so here are an additional 10 that (for my money) are equivalent or better:

Apollo 18
U.F.O. Abduction / Alien Abduction: Incident in Lake County (UPN Cut)
Area 407
15/05/11 - Abandoned Grain Elevator
The Bay
Gamer
Incident at Loch Ness
Occult
Atrocious
Paranormal Activity Chapter 2: Tokyo Night

Honourable mention because it's not feature length:
Alien Abduction Caught On Tape

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

saulwright posted:

I haven't seen Occult or Behind the Mask yet though, and I've heard good things about both.

I really liked Behind the Mask, but I'm not sure it falls into the same category. It starts off in a fake documentary style, but if I'm remembering it right, it turns into more of a traditional film by the end. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though, it's been a few years since I saw it.

edit: Also, I didn't see anyone mention Man Bites Dog, which isn't exactly horror, but is great found footage and disturbed me in the same way that Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer did.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Why is it you guys like that Paranormal Entity movie?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Zero votes for The Last Exorcism, eh? gently caress you all.

Drunkboxer posted:

Why is it you guys like that Paranormal Entity movie?

Because it's weird.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 5, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Zero votes for The Last Exorcism, eh? gently caress you all.

It's pretty solid!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I kind of liked Home Movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

StickySweater posted:

Anyone want to take a stab at a top-10 or top-5 list of the best found footage/point of view horror films?

In order:

Blair Witch
V/H/S
half of V/H/S/2

edit: if we're counting POV that's not found footage, throw the Maniac remake on there.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked Chronicle, Cloverfield, and surprisingly enough, The Bay. Only 1 1/2 count as "horror," though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like the V/H/S supercut that is just the best five segments from both films.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I like the V/H/S supercut that is just the best five segments from both films.
This is a really good idea. Which five?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My personal five in no particular order are Safe Haven, The Sick Thing That Happened To Emily When She Was Younger, Slumber Party Alien Abduction, 10/31/98 and Second Honeymoon.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

My personal five in no particular order are Safe Haven, The Sick Thing That Happened To Emily When She Was Younger, Slumber Party Alien Abduction, 10/31/98 and Second Honeymoon.

What do you like about 10/31/98? I just don't find it to be very interesting, and the best shot is just a Repulsion quote, which is always nice to see but eh. It just seems like a very rote haunted house thing with a not terribly funny punchline she really is possessed! oops. The rest of those are objectively correct.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005

This is definitely a good selection, but I would be tempted to replace The Sick Thing... with Tuesday the 17th after having read the awesome interpretation someone posted here or in the V/H/S thread way back when.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

What do you like about 10/31/98? I just don't find it to be very interesting, and the best shot is just a Repulsion quote, which is always nice to see but eh. It just seems like a very rote haunted house thing with a not terribly funny punchline she really is possessed! oops. The rest of those are objectively correct.

I think it's the funniest of the rest of the segments, definitely don't like Tuesday the 17th as much as some others, the bionic eye is a throwaway, GoPro zombie thing is a funny idea but the segment is just okay. I guess you could replace it with the succubus story if you really wanted!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I think that, with the exception of Clinical Trials - which was just sadly lame, even the 'bad' segments of the V/H/Ses fill a role.

Like, Tuesday the 17th or whatever it's called is jarring and ugly, but kind-of appears as a non-sequitur in the middle of the first film. There's no plot reason for it to be in there; none of the characters sit down to watch it. It's irritatingly 'meta' and even (apparently) originally began with a goofy title card. It's just this vulgar, stupid thing that doesn't really fit in to the diegetic reality at all, and that makes it fairly interesting in itself. Kind of an 'exception that proves the rule' situation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I think that, with the exception of Clinical Trials - which was just sadly lame, even the 'bad' segments of the V/H/Ses fill a role.

Like, Tuesday the 17th or whatever it's called is jarring and ugly, but kind-of appears as a non-sequitur in the middle of the first film. There's no plot reason for it to be in there; none of the characters sit down to watch it. It's irritatingly 'meta' and even (apparently) originally began with a goofy title card. It's just this vulgar, stupid thing that doesn't really fit in to the diegetic reality at all, and that makes it fairly interesting in itself. Kind of an 'exception that proves the rule' situation.

Yep, but that's actually the reason I love The Sick Thing: It's blatantly nonsensical (as people immediately notice, what the hell is a video capture of a Skype call doing on a VHS tape), it's a strong idea that makes less sense the more you think about it, which I appreciate for something allegedly grounded in reality.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
Has there been any mention anywhere of a V/H/S 3? I feel like we at least had the working title of S-VHS at this point last year, but I have an awful memory for this sort of thing.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I guess you could replace it with the succubus story if you really wanted!

Yeah I'd say that's my next favorite. I get what you're saying though, if I'd found 10/31/98's jokes to be funnier I'd be more with it. It's totally competent, I just found it to be the least interesting short in the first film. Even the irredeemably ugly and kind of stupid Tuesday the 17th is at least the kind of trainwreck that's fun to watch (once), and is mildly funny as a send up of the totally unnecessary 80s slasher sequel subgenre.

Yup.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You know what my main problem with Tuesday the 17th was? It coincided with the same weekend I had seen Sleepaway Camp 1 for the first time in a really long time and realizing that it's a drat masterpiece.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

doesn't really fit in to the diegetic reality at all,

I don't think VHS is one of those movies that plays by an established set of "canon" rules. The frame story features people sitting down to watch a bunch of different movies that each come on their own tape.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

You know what my main problem with Tuesday the 17th was? It coincided with the same weekend I had seen Sleepaway Camp 1 for the first time in a really long time and realizing that it's a drat masterpiece.

In some ways that's what I like best about it, it's a joke about the nonsensical sequel and just set me off thinking about all the maligned secret classics of the genre, like Sleepaway Camp.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

In some ways that's what I like best about it, it's a joke about the nonsensical sequel and just set me off thinking about all the maligned secret classics of the genre, like Sleepaway Camp.

Yeah. In the thread, axleblaze had the best take on it but I don't have archives so just imagine he said some cool and smart stuff about it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah. In the thread, axleblaze had the best take on it but I don't have archives so just imagine he said some cool and smart stuff about it.

I remember. It was totally on point but it didn't make like the segment any better, it's still pretty poo poo. McQuaid's full length film, I Sell The Dead, is a pretty funny EC Comics/Tales from the Crypt style horror-comedy, so I was hoping for better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh, he made that movie? With Ron Perlman and all? That movie's a blast.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
You guys are killin' me.

No mention of "The Last Broadcast" in a discussion of found footage movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H_O1PM5fwo

It was released pre-Blair Witch, and on a similar shoestring budget, and was rad as all poo poo right up until the last 3 minutes.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Oh, he made that movie? With Ron Perlman and all? That movie's a blast.

Yeah my wife VODed it a few years ago on a whim and we thought it was dope, I was pretty excited to see he was on the list for V/H/S. Too bad how it worked out. I hope he gets more work as a director, he seems to mostly do random VFX and design stuff (his first credits on IMDB are all for designing the titles for films, which is...a cool thing I'd never thought was really done by a separate person. He even did the title for The Inkeepers!)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yep, but that's actually the reason I love The Sick Thing: It's blatantly nonsensical (as people immediately notice, what the hell is a video capture of a Skype call doing on a VHS tape), it's a strong idea that makes less sense the more you think about it, which I appreciate for something allegedly grounded in reality.

I dunno, it's not like transferring stuff to VHS is impossible or even unlikely - making dozens of copies for easy sale, for example (yeah, you could just burn it onto a disk but whatever).

Sick Thing fits in with most of the other V/H/S shorts, in that it is 'just' a Skype video, presented from a single point of view with little diegetic editing. It's relatively naturalistic, true to materials, etc., where Tuesday is extremely heightened and campy - and the conceit with the monster doesn't make much sense on any level, whereas a digital video transferred to VHS is fairly easy to suspend disbelief over (implausible vs. impossible).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

It hasn't been archived yet but I'll just copy paste my bit from in there:

ME posted:

Anyways, since most of you don't like Tuesday the 17th (to the point where it apparently ruined the movie for some), I thought I'd talk a little about why I like it so much and what I thought it was trying to do. I think part of the problem is that is had a drastically different tone then the rest of them. If you look at the filmmakers previous film (I Sell the Dead) it's a horror-comedy that tries to not skimp on the horror. I feel this to is overall supposed to be comedic but overall plays the actually horror elements very straight.

The way I see this is basically Cabin in the Woods combined with Eli Roth Thanksgiving trailer from Grindhouse. It's basically a checklist of the 80s slasher genre but done as quickly and efficiently as possible. The name indicates a typical horror movie that is running a little late. It was supposed to happen earlier but it's now late and has to meet all the requirements. I mean this basically follows a "characters going to a cabin in the woods" format but there is no cabin because who has time to even get to a cabin. This leads to characters that are more than one trope stacked on top of each other, often with contradictory results. You have a jock/stoner, slut/prude, and the geek/pervert/moral one. Then there's the main character who is the main character/person that gives an ominous warning/person with a secret agenda/person that knows the legend/character that survived/sub-villain/villain. The character fulfilling so many roles leads to odd dialogue because they all have to rush in and say the thing that needs to be said to progress the horror plot. It's like a play with half the actors missing so they have to keep breathlessly running to their spots to barely keep up with everything.

This is all arranged by the main character because she knows what she needs in place to summon the killer.. The killer is basically horror movies themselves. It is a killer that only appears when a camera is pointed at it. Without the camera and the tropes there is no killer but their presence summon him, this staticy mass of raw video that can be anything and nothing. The main character sees the two go off into the woods and know that the killer will follow so she grabs the camera and then tempts her boyfriend into another typical horror movie scenario to summon the creature again. She then tries to kill it by playing on it's reliance on tropes (stumbling while being chased in the woods) to lead it into a trap but the camera is still going so the creature is still there and she can't win. The creature kills her, gets inside of her and then she becomes the creature. She just becomes another monster of the genre.

This reading can also be applied pretty well to the male gaze in general. The camera being used to sexualize is what tends to summon the creature and the main character turns that on her boyfriend and then the creature itself before becoming the creature.

So yeah, I think it's a neat little movie that uses the tropes of it's genre to subvert them. You probably think I'm stretching a bit here, but I think it works pretty well.
Plus the visuals are neat.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I loved how the main character was totally aware of what was going on and even impatient with everyone else who didn't know.

Even when the thing got out of her trap, she didn't seem scared so much as exasperated that they were going to keep on looping.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
The entire thing isn't done in the found footage style, but Cannibal Holocaust's last section is just harrowing, Godless, great stuff. I felt as if I'd been mugged and I appreciated that.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

You guys are killin' me.

No mention of "The Last Broadcast" in a discussion of found footage movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H_O1PM5fwo

It was released pre-Blair Witch, and on a similar shoestring budget, and was rad as all poo poo right up until the last 3 minutes.

I really don't like The Last Broadcast. It seems like a waste of the genre (though to be fair it's a genre that didn't exist). The footage is never allowed to speak for itself. It's always played back with people talking over it to explain what we're looking at which to me at least just completely destroys the tension. The ending is kinda bad but for me it was also by far the most interesting thing about it because it redefines everything that came before it in a really weird way that I don't think was well thought out, but was interesting none the less.

DeimosRising posted:

I remember. It was totally on point but it didn't make like the segment any better, it's still pretty poo poo. McQuaid's full length film, I Sell The Dead, is a pretty funny EC Comics/Tales from the Crypt style horror-comedy, so I was hoping for better.

I will say that his other movie is one of the things that made me looks at his segment in V/H/S differently. I did like it anyways, but looking at it from a more comic sense made it come together for me.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
gently caress yeah thanks for all the found footage suggestions everyone. I too was looking for a list to reference after watching (and loving) The Dyatlov Pass Incident so this is timely as hell. I absolutely adore the genre and yall listed at least 8 I haven't seen yet :toot:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I dunno, it's not like transferring stuff to VHS is impossible or even unlikely - making dozens of copies for easy sale, for example (yeah, you could just burn it onto a disk but whatever).

I trust that like me, you don't give a drat about that kind of stuff really. My point is that there is a noticeable discrepancy when you think about it for a minute, it's something that if you thought about it, you just have to make the decision to accept - much like the entire conceit of where the story ends up. It doesn't really make a lick of sense, yet it isn't hard to follow. The effect it creates is very uncanny (and kind of reminds me of something like, say, Apartment 143) where it is both totally intelligible while also being totally nonsensical. It fits well with the tumblrsploitation of V/H/S/2, it's very silly and creepypasta-ish, the name of it is "A Thing Happened", it's great.

Also if you chucklefucks get to claim Gamer (an FPS movie) and Ghostwatch (a TV magazine program) then I am going to say Without Warning and Lake Mungo are for sure in my top 5.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Doctor Claw posted:

Lords of Salem is now out on video - I've just now seen it. I really enjoy Rob Zombie's films - I even loved his Halloween remakes - but this is probably his worst film. It is not without its merits - the cinematography and the practical special effects are INCREDIBLE and not even just for a Rob Zombie movie. However, the script is really poorly paced and extremely threadbare, but it is worth the watch if you like his style or like 70s horror, which this is a definite call back to.

Also, his wife is great in supporting roles but she does not deserve leading roles what-so-ever.

Yeah I saw it a while back an wanted to like it so much more than I did. Sheri wasn't nearly as bad as I thought she would be at least.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Toriori posted:

Yeah I saw it a while back an wanted to like it so much more than I did. Sheri wasn't nearly as bad as I thought she would be at least.

I really liked the lords of salem. Rob Zombie trying his best at aping David Lynch. Although unlike your typical Lynch movie it doesn't really leave you with enough questions at the end. It's very unambiguous what's happening, especially towards the end, to the movies detriment. And I actually thought Sheri did a pretty good job, her dialogue sounds a lot more natural than it did when she was Baby Firefly. Devil's Rejects still stands as his masterpiece, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lords of Salem is a remake of Halloween 3: Season of the Witch.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Resolution and American Mary were both recently added to Netflix. Word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

axleblaze posted:

I really don't like The Last Broadcast. It seems like a waste of the genre (though to be fair it's a genre that didn't exist). The footage is never allowed to speak for itself. It's always played back with people talking over it to explain what we're looking at which to me at least just completely destroys the tension. The ending is kinda bad but for me it was also by far the most interesting thing about it because it redefines everything that came before it in a really weird way that I don't think was well thought out, but was interesting none the less.

I will say that his other movie is one of the things that made me looks at his segment in V/H/S differently. I did like it anyways, but looking at it from a more comic sense made it come together for me.

Watching it again I felt The Last Broadcast suffered because it adhered so strongly to being a faithful documentary that you'd see on the Crime channel or something. It feels that that's what they were aping. There's probably hundreds of them on Youtube right now. Aside from that it's still impressively done and aside from the end it's plausible enough (Seeing mentions of IRC just amused me).