Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

zenintrude posted:

As I've said in the retro thread, if you can buy a game physical (and I'm talking console here, PC is a completely separate beast) then get it that way... Xbox Live and the original Xbox (and to some extent, 360) have shown us that consoles + digital content aren't exactly airtight.

vvv Sounds like a fun series of hoops involving faxing them insurance forms or police reports vvv

I honestly prefer digital any day. Hell, I don't plan on buying a single disc for the PS4, and the only PS3 discs I have are imports or games that are simply not available digitally.

On the other hand I never download anything on my 3DS and exclusively purchase physical games because Nintendo sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

OatmealRaisin posted:

I honestly prefer digital any day. Hell, I don't plan on buying a single disc for the PS4, and the only PS3 discs I have are imports or games that are simply not available digitally.

I suppose then you don't care to play your PS3 games in 20 years, when the servers that housed PS3 games are shut down and the hard drive on your PS3 fails.

Some of this can't be mitigated, i.e. there's no way for me to buy a physical copy of The Unfinished Swan, but I'd suspect that anyone who has the intent of building a game library would be best served by buying physical copies of games when available.

vvv Also that vvv

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 5, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe it's just the cheapass in me, but I don't know why anyone would buy digital when discs have a decent resale value. I love being able to get bored of a game and get rid of it for $40 on craigslist instead of having it just take up space on my hard drive forever.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

zenintrude posted:

I suppose then you don't care to play your PS3 games in 20 years, when the servers that housed PS3 games are shut down and the hard drive on your PS3 fails.

Some of this can't be mitigated, i.e. there's no way for me to buy a physical copy of The Unfinished Swan, but I'd suspect that anyone who has the intent of building a game library would be best served by buying physical copies of games when available.

vvv Also that vvv

I'm sure in 20 years when I'm playing PS5 they'll be releasing super extra HD remasters of the good PS3 games so I don't see the problem. Also I don't sell games and rarely buy used.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Sunning posted:

The two bigger issues were designing the Wii U with a 40 watt power consumption limit and Wii backwards compatibility. If they didn't have these two restrictions then they could have designed it with a significantly more power and still included the tablet for the same price.
I get how needing a hyper-efficient processor is expensive, but what does Wii backwards compatibility have to do with the price?

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Maybe it's just the cheapass in me, but I don't know why anyone would buy digital when discs have a decent resale value. I love being able to get bored of a game and get rid of it for $40 on craigslist instead of having it just take up space on my hard drive forever.

On a similar note if I want a copy of Mario Kart 7, I can go to a game shop and find a pre-owned copy for around £20, or go to Amazon to find a pre-owned copy for £23. Or I can go on the eShop and download a copy of MK7 (that I can't lend/trade in) for a guaranteed £40. That's if the SD card or the 3DS itself doesn't break.

I'm not really sure what the benefit to that is, unless the entire world's supply of pockets, shelves and bags spontaneously combusted and left me no room to store game boxes or cartridges.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

zenintrude posted:

I agree... I only buy digital when I have to because I have no faith in any digital store still being supported even 10 years from now. Microsoft just announced they are going to only support the 360 for another 3 years. I have to imagine that beyond that if your 360 dies all your games and DLC die with it.

StevenM posted:

I'm not really sure what the benefit to that is, unless the entire world's supply of pockets, shelves and bags spontaneously combusted and left me no room to store game boxes or cartridges.

It's a portable system, some people will pay a premium to have all their games installed on the system.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

StevenM posted:

On a similar note if I want a copy of Mario Kart 7, I can go to a game shop and find a pre-owned copy for around £20, or go to Amazon to find a pre-owned copy for £23. Or I can go on the eShop and download a copy of MK7 (that I can't lend/trade in) for a guaranteed £40. That's if the SD card or the 3DS itself doesn't break.

For games like Mario Kart 7 there is only a marginal-at-best benefit of being able to have access to it any time you want and not having to carry mulitple carts with you everywhere. OTOH, I think Wii owners the US would be willing to throw down $40 for a digital copy of Xenoblade rather than having to pay Gamestop $90 for a 'used' copy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chaltab posted:

For games like Mario Kart 7 there is only a marginal-at-best benefit of being able to have access to it any time you want and not having to carry mulitple carts with you everywhere. OTOH, I think Wii owners the US would be willing to throw down $40 for a digital copy of Xenoblade rather than having to pay Gamestop $90 for a 'used' copy.

Digital is pretty great for a game like Xenoblade where there's some demand for the port in the US, but it's hard to say how much. You can do a small run of discs to avoid having unsold overstock, sure, but then you're really just having used game stores make most of the profit when they pass around the discs twenty times each. Digital, on the other hand, scales well for that kind of situation. It only sells to its niche audience? It's not like you ran off a couple million discs. It's a surprise hit? You can't run out of digital copies, and all that money goes to your pocket, not gamestop's.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

I don't think anyone would argue that digital isn't better for devs/publishers... the argument here is whether or not buying physical (as a consumer) is better than buying digital when the option presents itself.

There are many benefits to buying physical on console (cheaper, resale, permanence, etc.) that overshadow the negligible conveniences of digital.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Maybe I'm projecting my personal feelings on the marketplace, but is there a chance we're at peak saturation of some of these beloved IP's? Especially when the technical gap between consoles is less obvious than, say, SNES to N64 or N64 to GCN. I look at the list of upcoming titles and it's like, am I really craving another Mario platformer, another Mario Kart, another Wii Fit, etc? They seem like nice luxuries but I don't see anyone who hasn't bought a Wii U yet hopping onboard because now they can finally play another drat Mario Kart.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Tender Bender posted:

I don't see anyone who hasn't bought a Wii U yet hopping onboard because now they can finally play another drat Mario Kart.

People keep buying new Xboxes and Playstations to play this year's Madden or CoD... why wouldn't the same apply to the Wii U and Mario Kart?

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 5, 2013

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Maybe I'm projecting my personal feelings on the marketplace, but is there a chance we're at peak saturation of some of these beloved IP's? Especially when the technical gap between consoles is less obvious than, say, SNES to N64 or N64 to GCN. I look at the list of upcoming titles and it's like, am I really craving another Mario platformer, another Mario Kart, another Wii Fit, etc? They seem like nice luxuries but I don't see anyone who hasn't bought a Wii U yet hopping onboard because now they can finally play another drat Mario Kart.

A lot of these big franchise game series aren't breaking the mold with each new game but putting tweaks and updating it to fit in with the current consoles and whatnot. It isn't just Mario but also Call of Duty and Halo and whatever sport games are hot at the moment.

Of course people need to be aware and motivated to buy these drat games and have a system to play them. Both of these are Nintendo's problems and it isn't inherently that people are tired of their IPs.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Nintendo also used to be better at keeping their IP refreshes interesting. Like, it's remarkable how different Majora's Mask plays from OoT even though they use the same engine and 99% of the same assets. They don't really do that anymore, which is a shame.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah I mean I'm all for updating series without necessarily reinventing the wheel, I just thought that people buy their consoles for more unique titles, and Maddens or Mario Karts are nice additions to the library but not system sellers. I guess I'm wrong but I'd be interested to see some analysis on that subject.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 5, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah I mean I'm all for updating series without necessarily reinventing the wheel, I just thought that people buy their consoles for other reasons, and Maddens or Mario Karts are nice additions to the library but not system sellers. I guess I'm wrong but I'd be interested to see some analysis on that subject.

Xbox sells because of Halo*, CoD, and Madden.

*and NOT because of the storyline

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nintendo's franchises have proven selling power. New Super Mario Bros Wii. U didn't sell as well as usual but it still outsold 90% of games on the market, more if you don't count multiplatform SKUs. Their IPs also continue to perform very well on the 3DS. For all the problems Nintendo has, weak or oversaturated IPs are really not one of them. They are trending downwards but are still significantly stronger than most IPs on the market.

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah I mean I'm all for updating series without necessarily reinventing the wheel, I just thought that people buy their consoles for more unique titles, and Maddens or Mario Karts are nice additions to the library but not system sellers. I guess I'm wrong but I'd be interested to see some analysis on that subject.

The important thing to remember is that people on internet forums are not actually a good cross section of the general buying public. It can be really easy to forget that, especially because there's a lot of cross-pollination between internet forums, but what we like doesn't really translate to what sells.

Looking at Sales Numbers, especially combined with spikes in system sales, makes it a lot easier to determine what people buy systems for. Mario Kart, for example, is almost universally combined with a spike in system sales. So is Animal Crossing. On other systems you can point to Halo. System sales in general tend to take a noticable upswing right around Call of Duty/Madden release dates.

The unique special games that the internet loves to go crazy for are great for generating press but it's fairly unusual for them to be tremendous sellers. The Just Dance franchise isn't going to get a thread here but Just Dance 3 on the Wii alone outsold Dark Souls and Demons Souls on every system they were made combined by a significant margin. The games that drive systems are big familiar IPs which tend to stick within a certain variance. The internet may complain about them (and often rightly so) but that doesn't stop them from selling. These don't sell on their own. (Except maybe Call of Duty. Activision could put out a Dutybox and it would probably sell.) However they are the thing that drives people to finally get the system in conjunction with other stuff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 5, 2013

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Astro7x posted:

Microsoft just announced they are going to only support the 360 for another 3 years. I have to imagine that beyond that if your 360 dies all your games and DLC die with it.

Do you have a direct quote on that? Because every story I've seen that says that is quoting a MS representative on a conference call who sounds like he's actually saying Microsoft is going to actively support the 360 for 3 more years.

That's a very different thing than "Microsoft announces hard cutoff of 360 in 3 years", which is how that's being reported.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Actively supporting, not cutting off.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It wouldn't surprise me if it means cut off entirely, but no I don't have a direct quote other than paraphrasing a story I read earlier.

It took them 4 1/2 years after the 360 launched to cut off support to the original XBox. Is 3 years really out of the realm of possibility?

http://www.1up.com/news/xbox-live-cut-original-xbox

It's why I won't buy games digitally unless I have to.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Astro7x posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if it means cut off entirely, but no I don't have a direct quote other than paraphrasing a story I read earlier.

It took them 4 1/2 years after the 360 launched to cut off support to the original XBox. Is 3 years really out of the realm of possibility?

Considering that they halted all releases of original Xbox games basically the minute the 360 was out but it took them 4 1/2 years to turn off original Xbox's Xbox Live, yeah, it does seem unreasonable to think they're going to kill Xbox Live after 3 years when they just committed to 3 years of active support after the Xbone launch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thefncrow posted:

Considering that they halted all releases of original Xbox games basically the minute the 360 was out but it took them 4 1/2 years to turn off original Xbox's Xbox Live, yeah, it does seem unreasonable to think they're going to kill Xbox Live after 3 years when they just committed to 3 years of active support after the Xbone launch.

Not to mention that online play in the OG Xbox era was completely different from what it is today, and also that the 360 online library is several orders of magnitude larger.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zenintrude posted:

vvv Also that vvv

Yeah I really don't see myself going full digital either, I have 3 huge rear end media racks just full of Nintendo games. Outside of the hardware giving out the games stay in playable condition.

Not only that but everything doesn't make the cut for digital downloads. You can't find a digital copy of Jade Cocoon 2 on any platform.

And as an added bonus, when your game collection reaches quad digits you can finally re-enact that rack scene from the matrix, but instead of guns it's videogames.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

zenintrude posted:

People keep buying new Xboxes and Playstations to play this year's Madden or CoD... why wouldn't the same apply to the Wii U and Mario Kart?

Madden is quite different from those considering it is a ongoing thing with new roster, etc. But CoD is going to eventually taper out much the same way that Rock Band/Guitar Hero did.

It happens, I mean, a lot of the things I thought were still popular don't seem to be as popular as I thought. For example, Castlevania and Mega man's popularity is waning.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

blackguy32 posted:

Madden is quite different from those considering it is a ongoing thing with new roster, etc. But CoD is going to eventually taper out much the same way that Rock Band/Guitar Hero did.

It happens, I mean, a lot of the things I thought were still popular don't seem to be as popular as I thought. For example, Castlevania and Mega man's popularity is waning.

Madden stopped using the year for the games this year, which makes me wonder if it's now going to go the King of Fighters route and do numbered installments so they don't keep updating it yearly.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

WendigoJohnson posted:

Madden stopped using the year for the games this year, which makes me wonder if it's now going to go the King of Fighters route and do numbered installments so they don't keep updating it yearly.

I think that is simply to honor the game's 25th anniversary.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zenintrude posted:

When that happens you simply mod your console, it's even more secure then holding disks. Doubt anyone's going to care about their console being banned from online play when the online service for the consoles been dead for 15 years.

WendigoJohnson posted:

They should just hurry up and make it so your yearly roster update disc is also available as DLC for the previous year's version. There really isn't any game that depreciates faster and more consistently then yearly sports games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Doubtful, they did they same thing for the 20th anniversary.
http://www.amazon.com/Madden-20th-A...words=madden+09

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Install Windows posted:

They should just hurry up and make it so your yearly roster update disc is also available as DLC for the previous year's version. There really isn't any game that depreciates faster and more consistently then yearly sports games.

You should look at RPGs in Japan. I bought Final Fantasy 4,5,6, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest 4 and 5, Mother 2(Earthbound), Bahamut Lagoon, and all three SNES Shin Megami Tensei games for around 10 bucks in total.

They were less than a dollar each, Final Fantasy 6 was like 25 cents.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

WendigoJohnson posted:

You should look at RPGs in Japan. I bought Final Fantasy 4,5,6, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest 4 and 5, Mother 2(Earthbound), Bahamut Lagoon, and all three SNES Shin Megami Tensei games for around 10 bucks in total.

They were less than a dollar each, Final Fantasy 6 was like 25 cents.

The difference is Madden #any was 10 cents trade in credit at gamestop or 30 cents to buy used 10 months after release, whereas those games were 25 cents after 10+ years.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Install Windows posted:

When that happens you simply mod your console, it's even more secure then holding disks. Doubt anyone's going to care about their console being banned from online play when the online service for the consoles been dead for 15 years.

Yeah, I imagine in 20 years I'll feel the same way about not having a disk copy of Uncharted about the same way I feel about not having any of my old NES cartridges today.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Install Windows posted:

The difference is Madden #any was 10 cents trade in credit at gamestop or 30 cents to buy used 10 months after release, whereas those games were 25 cents after 10+ years.

At the time I was building up my SNES library, but it spans across all systems. RPGs in Japan are dirt cheap. I got Panzer Dragoon Saga for a low price as well, and by low I mean it was well under 20 bucks.

And the PS2 and Gamecube games won't run you anything expensive either. I picked up most Gamecube RPGs for a dollar.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

zenintrude posted:

In 20 years the PS3 will be so thoroughly hacked and split open that one could easily redownload all their games through another source, without any pangs on their conscience (because they already spent 10-20 dollars on each of those games for this specific console).

This is mostly my issue with the argument of "What if X company collapsed and with it all your digital games?!?!?", at the point that this would happen there would already be multiple avenues of recovering all your digitally purchased goods from other sources online.

Meanwhile, your Wii/WiiU/3DS could break right now, and lose all your games right now, and you'll probably have a much harder time recovering all those games now than 20 years from now.

(I hope this doesn't count as piracychat, seeing as it's talking about ways of recovering games you've already bought, and doesn't list links or anything)

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 6, 2013

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

In 20 years the PS3 will be so thoroughly hacked and split open that one could easily redownload all their games through another source, without any pangs on their conscience (because they already spent 10-20 dollars on each of those games for this specific console).

You mean like the Saturn and the N64?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

StevenM posted:

It's a good thing the PS3 is neither a cartridge based system nor a system nobody in the US wanted, then.

(Not to mention both N64 and Saturn emulation is still being worked on to this day, and stuff like this and this exists.)

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 6, 2013

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

StevenM posted:

In 20 years the PS3 will be 27 years old. We have another ~10 years until the Saturn and N64 hit that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StevenM posted:

Yeah, if you got a mod chip for a Saturn or a flashcart for your N64 (both of which are legal).

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
It's cool they're talking about keeping support for at least three more years, but I can still play my NES games on my original NES and I got that thing 25 years ago. I'll never adopt completely digital until I can get that great of mileage out of one of these new machines.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

whaley posted:

It's cool they're talking about keeping support for at least three more years, but I can still play my NES games on my original NES and I got that thing 25 years ago. I'll never adopt completely digital until I can get that great of mileage out of one of these new machines.

Uh, by that definition digital 360 and PS3 games will work just fine for those years too. Or Wii/Wii U games for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Install Windows posted:

Uh, by that definition digital 360 and PS3 games will work just fine for those years too. Or Wii/Wii U games for that matter.

You can pry my physical copies from my sharp pixilated hands.

• Locked thread