Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

HondaCivet posted:

Ok but seriously, why do so many shows color-code the characters? I'm noticing it more and more and I keep wondering where it comes from.

veekie posted:

It's an easy visual shorthand to differentiate characters and makes it easier to distinguish who is doing what in a fight scene that can get seriously confused. The color also describes the personality, you generally will find the red one being aggressive, the pink being a softy, etc, so it takes less effort to convey the character.
It's also a magical girl/sentai tradition. To sell toys, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

HondaCivet posted:

Ok but seriously, why do so many shows color-code the characters? I'm noticing it more and more and I keep wondering where it comes from.

Because :effort:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Here's a spoileriffic video I made about Madoka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B22F5e5A-BI

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Bokurano supremacy, I'd like to see a power bar solve THOSE kids' problems!

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

edit: video

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 5, 2013

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Jesus, I can't stand the franticness of Japanese commercials. Text all over the loving screen, people talking over one another... it's nuts!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Well poo poo :stare:

I might actually end up driving to see this if it's nearby cause there's no way in hell I can avoid spoilers for six months.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

Here's a spoileriffic video I made about Madoka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B22F5e5A-BI
I don't know if you're being ironic but the whole wishes having different proportions kind of goes against the idea of being able to wish for an infinite amount of something. Even Madoka's wish in the end doesn't create things, it only destroys them, and it still hinges on the creation of a paradox.

Human emotions being the counter to entropy is still pretty much the silliest sci-fi element I've ever seen, but at the same time it's one of the best in implementation and execution. This implementation also hinges on it being the only counter to entropy, and nothing in the show seems to contradict that.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ahahaha that gun kata. As expected of Gen Urobuchi. :allears:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

jonjonaug posted:

Ahahaha that gun kata. As expected of Gen Urobuchi. :allears:

Speaking of which, this video cracked me the hell up while simultaneously giving me massive anxiety due to the lack of firearms safety/trigger discipline.

It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye put out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mercrom posted:

Human emotions being the counter to entropy is still pretty much the silliest sci-fi element I've ever seen, but at the same time it's one of the best in implementation and execution. This implementation also hinges on it being the only counter to entropy, and nothing in the show seems to contradict that.

More to the point, regardless of whether (and how much) he's telling the truth, the point of that conversation isn't actually to justify his actions. Kyubey is trying to break her spirit by revealing how horrific and impersonal the universe really is.

Everything he tells the girls, and the timing of when he tells them, is aimed towards this specific purpose.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Mercrom posted:

Yes, the video was a joke. 'Why don't they just wish for infinite energy' was a question I always would have liked an answer to, considering the whole point is that magical girls are magic and can basically do anything, especially if they're Madoka. I like the idea that Kyubei's race somehow never thought of doing that.

I think human emotions being the solution to the problem of entropy is a pretty cool theme. I didn't find this show to be terrible, I thought it was very good, but I didn't enjoy it all that much. All the plot elements are the exact sort of thing I would love, but executed in ways I don't think I like. This is all just personal taste, obviously.

I much preferred Bokurano, which did similar things to the giant robot genre as Madoka for magical girls, and also had eerily similar plot beats. Hell, both shows even have an episode where we learn one character's done all this before in alternate Universes countless times. I would love to know if that was a coincidence, or if someone intentionally took that entire plot element and added it to Madoka Magica. In episode nine there's even an almost direct visual reference to Bokurano. I always kind of hoped one of the directors realised the similarity of the plots and wanted to make some sort of allusion to it, a subtle 'yes, I noticed it too' to the viewer, as it were.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If you do want a mechanical answer, the power of a magical girl's wish is proportionate to the emotion behind it and the amount of despair released with their Witch. Not only is Madoka a special case, she's a special case that required a massive violation of causality (thanks to Homura) to happen in the first place.

Or to be a million times less spergy about it, Kyubey never considered wishing for infinite energy because Madoka is the first girl with the divine grace necessary to make a wish like that. :sun:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

If Madoka wishes for infinite energy, assuming that's even remotely possible in this universe, then she likely turns into a witch powerful enough to destroy the universe instantly. Hell, that's almost what actually happened, and it was only prevented because of the wish itself.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That whole frozen bullet gun fight looks awesome and I can't wait to see this movie.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Super Jay Mann posted:

If Madoka wishes for infinite energy, assuming that's even remotely possible in this universe, then she likely turns into a witch powerful enough to destroy the universe instantly. Hell, that's almost what actually happened, and it was only prevented because of the wish itself.

Yeah, that's another key thing to keep in mind-- if Madoka had made some kind of universe-rearranging wish that didn't involve preventing magical girls from becoming witches, that huge Madoka witch thing would have just killed everyone instantly.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nathilus posted:

Speaking of which, this video cracked me the hell up while simultaneously giving me massive anxiety due to the lack of firearms safety/trigger discipline.

It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye put out.

I was pretty much trying from (attempted)laughter prevention by the end of that. It's genius. I was hoping they would animate her shooting off a toe, but alas human-bunny-cat's the only victim.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

All seiyuu require proper head tilting form to work on any Shinbo project.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
So, I guess Madoka's loneliness across infinite universes got to her, and she just couldn't help but to reincarnate herself in for one last romp with her colour-coded best friends across time and space.

Madoka has divine grace, but it might not be good enough against the crushing despair of the universe.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Redcrimson posted:

All seiyuu require proper head tilting form to work on any Shinbo project.

I completely lost it when the VAs started headtilting. And with such dramatic faces, too.

Madoka probably does it to keep Homura from blowing her brains out again moreso than infinite cosmic loneliness, Phobo.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Fresh TV ads, now with about two seconds more new footage. Kind of spoiler-y, so if you're on spoiler lockdown until you can see the films you might not want to watch this.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

Fresh TV ads, now with about two seconds more new footage. Kind of spoiler-y, so if you're on spoiler lockdown until you can see the films you might not want to watch this.

That last bit of new footage makes me think Rebellion is going to end with another universe reset. That was clearly Homura's untainted soul gem being broken. I bet due to Homura's connection to multiple timelines she has to die in order for someone else to do a reset. The reason I think there might be a reset is because in the first Rebellion preview you see the original timid looking Homura sitting across from Kyouko wearing a school uniform. I cannot see Homura going back to being quiet and shy unless she never had to experience the things she has. It looks like Kyouko has taken Hitomi's place in Madoka's close circle of friends now that she is attending school. Maybe Hitomi does something that eliminates the need for magical girls, so Kyouko never contracts and her father doesn't murder her family, which allows her to live a more normal life. I don't have a good reason for thinking Hitomi sacrifices herself, other than her not being shown around Kyouko, Madoka, and Sayaka.

Alternately: I'm completely wrong and the new movie isn't going to be Mahou Shoujo Hitomi Magica.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
http://gematsu.com/2013/09/madoka-magica-the-battle-pentagram-announced-for-ps3

I'm sure this will never see localization, but it's still going to be a thing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

In development at Artdink and published by Namco Bandai, the 3D action game has daytime sequences where players can enjoy conversations with the Puella Magi and raise their bond levels, and nighttime sequences where players battle witches, the results of which affect your partner’s bond level.

Huh, stealing ideas from Persona actually sounds like a great way to make a Madoka game.

Parpy
Oct 23, 2009

Ducklings have been known to imprint on, and imitate, species in close vicinity -- especially cats and dogs.

~SMcD
They're livestreaming footage of Madoka: Battle Pentagram at the Tokyo Game Show right now if you're interested in this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwkmxV5jZIM

e: Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnGESq_CiQY is coming to the States in December, hopefully Canada soon thereafter.
e2: Looks like the gameplay livestream is over as of the time of this edit. Looked kinda neat, but I assume it they were playing on an early stage or on easymode because the combat didn't look particularly challenging.

Parpy fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 19, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The official website's been updated. Now with nifty new splash page art.

There have been some pictures taken of a recent magazine article previewing the new film, obviously there are spoilers involved here, there's a lot of screens from the film. Link: http://imgur.com/a/bTWmp

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Homura is the big punching bag of this film, huh?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Mordaedil posted:

Homura is the big punching bag of this film, huh?

Being Homu is suffering. All the way.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Unsurprisingly, Madoka Magica makes the NYMG Feministiest Anime List

http://www.samanthablackmon.net/notyourmamasgamer/?p=3652

"The magical girl genre of anime is particularly notable for being extremely feminist-friendly, with young girls finding strength within their femininity and within each other, defeating enemies with cooperation and teamwork in a way that empowers their sense of love and turning the traditional aspects associated with femininity into physical modes of power. Noted for its dark twist on the magical girl formula, Puella Magi Madoka Magica presents this in a less blatant and more complicated way. Each girl has a complex character driven by their own motivations and the diversity presented in the typical magical girl series is even more so present here, as they do not become tropes or archetypes. However, rather than finding strength in solidarity, they instead are almost all hesitant to work together. But while the show’s darker undertones do seem to taint and destroy the innocence and strength magical girls generally have, particularly in those series made for children, it is eventually subverted and shown to not be insurmountable, as womanhood eventually breaks free from inevitable corruption and the system is essentially “fixed.” The girls eventually learn to find strength and support in one another and take their fate in their own hands. It is this aspect that really redeems the series and marks it as a more mature take on the magical girl genre that so defines women solidarity."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That is some word salad right there. Not sure I entirely agree with the interpretation either.

It's awfully self-serving though, so it isn't lost on me why it is written this way.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mordaedil posted:

That is some word salad right there. Not sure I entirely agree with the interpretation either.

It's awfully self-serving though, so it isn't lost on me why it is written this way.

The show has been interpreted like that by some other people before, it got some kind of award for it too.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I don't see any indication that it was interpreted the same way at all. I've seen far more convincing and thematically appropriate feminist interpretations of the show than the word-salad above.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Insurrectionist posted:

I don't see any indication that it was interpreted the same way at all. I've seen far more convincing and thematically appropriate feminist interpretations of the show than the word-salad above.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I have no doubt that Madoka is fairly feminist friendly, but the above paragraph just doesn't feel like it communicates it quite right.

quote:

it is eventually subverted and shown to not be insurmountable, as womanhood eventually breaks free from inevitable corruption and the system is essentially “fixed.”

This for instance just sounds kind of... Like a very mistaken interpretation of the work.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mordaedil posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. I have no doubt that Madoka is fairly feminist friendly, but the above paragraph just doesn't feel like it communicates it quite right.

This for instance just sounds kind of... Like a very mistaken interpretation of the work.

Oh, yeah I see what you're talking about here.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I agree that Madoka is generally feminist friendly as a piece of work, but I'm not sure her reasoning really makes all that much sense. It seems like she's boiling it down to "Girls stand up to The Man, therefore feminism.", which is not at all why I would categorize Madoka as feminist-positive.

Also, feminist anime list without Kino's Journey? Pffft.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's right to call Madoka feminist friendly, but it's because usually in an anime of this tone there'd be at least a few major male heroes dealing with the brunt of the themes around corruption and darkness, and then the girls would come in using some bullshit ~the purity of women~ thing to fix everything. In Madoka the tropes are subverted because, ya know, the sparkly magical girls kinda can't win just because they're cute girls who super believe in themselves. They have to fight and claw their way to victory at every fight and normally in media like this that's not a 'girl's role'.

And yea, to say that womanhood 'breaks free from corruption' and fixes the world is...kinda the exact opposite of what happens?

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 27, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it's right to call Madoka feminist friendly, but it's because usually in an anime of this tone there'd be at least a few major male heroes dealing with the brunt of the themes around corruption and darkness, and then the girls would come in using some bullshit ~the purity of women~ thing to fix everything.
Actually in a lot of shows I've seen the opposite, where a woman gets corrupted or turns evil and the guy has to save her by yelling 'LOVE' a lot. Or he's 'forced' to kill her.

She also gets a sexier outfit, because a woman's sex drive is evil. :v:

For real though, the most feminist part of Madoka Magica is Madoka's mom. That lady rules.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Tatum Girlparts posted:

And yea, to say that womanhood 'breaks free from corruption' and fixes the world is...kinda the exact opposite of what happens?

Yeah, Madoka saves the day by taking all of the entire universe's corruption onto herself, all at once, forever. That is literally the opposite of breaking free of corruption or any sense of purity at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

gnome7 posted:

Yeah, Madoka saves the day by taking all of the entire universe's corruption onto herself, all at once, forever. That is literally the opposite of breaking free of corruption or any sense of purity at all.

Madoka doesn't so much "take the univeres's corruption onto herself" as make the corruption manifest through her wish and then kills it with a rad giant bow and arrow make of stars. :kamina:

That blog's reading makes perfect sense if you actually take the time to parse it. The only thing wrong with it is it could be written in much plainer language, because it's mostly just saying "some girls take a system which is supposed to turn their femininity into a self-destructive vulnerability, and find a way to make it positive and powerful instead."

(Which is exactly what happens in Madoka.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I know there are MRA bronies out there surely there are MRA madoka fans that would dispute this reading

• Locked thread